Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
    Which playable barbarian faction is the most advanced and civilized?
    Well civilized itself is a relative term, there were acts which the Romans and Greeks did which were abhorrent to Celtic peoples just as there were acts which the Iranian empires engaged in which were deplorable to the Greeks.

In simplistic terms, as in which faction would be most like the Mediterranean factions in terms of social structure and complexity which is visible in the archaeological record then it is a tie between the Getae, Aedui, Arverni, Boii and Arevaci. I know that's not the clear answer you are looking for, but I am afraid it is a far from simple question.

If I was forced to pick one I would say the Getae.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Thank you for your answering! :)

I know that civilized is relative. It's more that I love mixed cultures of "barbarian" and "Hellenic / Roman / etc". Why these are such as the romano british from barbarian invasion of my favorites.

Thanks again!

If EB 2 will have 200 units, does each faction will have 6/7 units?

No, as some units are shared by multiple factions.
    The minimum number of units a faction has is 6 while the maximum is 41(Seleucids as you might have guessed). The average is around 10-12 units.
    Last edited by Tux; 12-08-2013 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    No, as some units are shared by multiple factions.
    The minimum number of units a faction has is 6 while the maximum is 41(Seleucids as you might have guessed). The average is around 10-12 units.
    You mean factional units, I suppose, the 6 units faction can still recruit regionals in different provinces? Though 41 factionl units for AS seems insane unless you include everything recruitable on starting provinces as factionals....
    Last edited by LusitanianWolf; 12-09-2013 at 00:39.

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    You mean factional units, I suppose, the 6 units faction can still recruit regionals in different provinces? Though 41 factionl units for AS seems insane unless you include everything recruitable on starting provinces as factionals....
    I included bot factional and regional units.
    If you count just factional units then the average count is probably around 7-8.

I included bot factional and regional units.
    If you count just factional units then the average count is probably around 7-8.
    So you won´t be able to recruit units from other cultures and use "allied armies" like in EB1? =S
    Or some factions (like AS) will use lots of regionals while others (like the 6 unit one) will recruit their factionals everywhere, kinda like the difference between Persia and Babylon in Rise of Persia (RTW mod)?

The basic recruitment mechanism hasn't changed from EB1.
    Hope that clears things up as I see I've created some confusion.

Member thankful for this post:

"The Europa Barbarorum Wonders Project" is still active, right? I made three suggestions today and I am about to make more.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

I'm getting a new-old gaming rig at the weekend - it's a hand-me-down desktop. It's Core 2 Quad 2.3, 4GB RAM, with a Nvidia GeForce GT 640 (1GB) graphics card. Will that be adequate to run M2:TW (and thus EBII) on it? I'm mostly concerned about the 2.3GHz processor - is that fast enough?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

CPU is related with unit size mostly. If you get lag in big battles, you can always set unit size medium or high instead of huge.
    Last edited by CanOmer; 12-12-2013 at 15:49.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm getting a new-old gaming rig at the weekend - it's a hand-me-down desktop. It's Core 2 Quad 2.3, 4GB RAM, with a Nvidia GeForce GT 640 (1GB) graphics card. Will that be adequate to run M2:TW (and thus EBII) on it? I'm mostly concerned about the 2.3GHz processor - is that fast enough?
    Don't worry about CPU, RAM has far greater impact and as long as you have 4GB you should be fine. I have a i5 SandyBridge laptop with GeForce 555M (1GB) and experienced this when half of my RAM failed just recently - with 2GB the game was unplayably slow on the strat-map, but OK in battles, with 4GB RAM it goes smoothly on max settings everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    "The Europa Barbarorum Wonders Project" is still active, right? I made three suggestions today and I am about to make more.
    The project is not dead, but it is currently dormant, i.e. we are not adding more unique buildings right now, but for further releases we might - either as buildings as such or by adding the appropriate descriptions and boni to already existing "province" buildings. In any case I find the wonders thread a fascinating read and enriching per se, your last ones? CanOmer, not the least, so keep them coming!
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 12-12-2013 at 20:15. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    CPU is related with unit size mostly. If you get lag in big battles, you can always set unit size medium or high instead of huge.
    The only setting that really matters to me is unit size - it's Huge or nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Don't worry about CPU, RAM has far greater impact and as long as you have 4GB you should be fine. I have a i5 SandyBridge laptop with GeForce 555M (1GB) and experienced this when half of my RAM failed just recently - with 2GB the game was unplayably slow on the strat-map, but OK in battles, with 4GB RAM it goes smoothly on max settings everywhere.
    OK, cool.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

QI. Why didn't you continue to improve EB1? I think there is some left to fix and improve. There is an unofficial 1.2 fix patch which is a must for EB players and Eastern settlements could have been improved like Western and Barbaric settlements. Also there may be faction intros. I know you are very capable of beautiful intros which we can see in EBII previews. Why did you use RTW.exe instead of BI or Alex while most of the RTW mods use them?

QII. What will be the main differences between EB1 and EB2?
    Last edited by CanOmer; 12-16-2013 at 14:27.

Q1, because the team faded away and after 1.2 patch it was decided the state was good enough.
    After working years on a project you usually decide it's enough and wish something new.

Q2, well you have the previews for that. But honestly it's a vague question since there are too many areas(graphics, gameplay, sound, etc). to give a simple answer.

Will you keep unit cost/upkeep as high as EB1? To me, it is one of the best choice you made in EB1. Even I would like to see higher cost/upkeep for units.

Yes but according to the M2TW engine mechanics, for balancing purposes.

Will there again be an limitation for Governments? I mean homeland, expansion and Outlying Region.

Q1, because the team faded away and after 1.2 patch it was decided the state was good enough.
    After working years on a project you usually decide it's enough and wish something new.
    I´m a bit affraid of that happening after EB2 first release since I really would like it to reach full potential but, after the colossal effort you have been putting during all this years into the mod, only an egocentrical fools would not understand.
    Last edited by LusitanianWolf; 12-16-2013 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    I´m a bit affraid of that happening after EB2 first release since I really would like it to reach full potential but, after the colossal effort you have been putting during all this years into the mod, only an egocentrical fools would not understand.
    We won't lie, as the team stands at the moment we are too small to do most of what we would really like to be able to, although we will try our best. Our hope is that the first release of EBII will garner sufficient interest that we will see an increase in volunteers. As you saw in the Arevaci preview EB almost died a quiet death last year, but fortunately those large previews, increased tweeting, greater use of the development blog and more interaction between team members and the fans has resulted in a small growth of the team. We hope to see a much greater growth following the first release.

Another technical question; how is M2:TW with 64-bit Win7? I've had another game refuse to co-operate, I'm hoping this won't be a recurrent thing.

Can we play hotseat campaign?

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Another technical question; how is M2:TW with 64-bit Win7? I've had another game refuse to co-operate, I'm hoping this won't be a recurrent thing.
    That should be fine too - I have Win 7 - 64 bit and have not experienced any problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    That should be fine too - I have Win 7 - 64 bit and have not experienced any problems yet.
    Excellent news, thank you.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

You can always run games in compatability mode with Windows XP or something

Macedonian phalanx: the weapons of the first five rows of men (-not three) all projected beyond the front of the formation. (Like in Rome Total War) Can you make it?

The scripts which would be into the alpha version are the same that they will be in the final version?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stath's View Post
    The scripts which would be into the alpha version are the same that they will be in the final version?
    Some yes, some not and there will likely be additions.

I noticed that the settlement of Lugdunon in the Arverni playtest wasn't included in the map for EBII released earlier. Was there an internal re-arrangement in Gaul or was a province hijacked from somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Somnorum View Post
    I noticed that the settlement of Lugdunon in the Arverni playtest wasn't included in the map for EBII released earlier. Was there an internal re-arrangement in Gaul or was a province hijacked from somewhere else?
    A slight typo on the earlier map.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast