Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

well I' fine with that, it acutally was more of a history than gameplay question. hence the trolling warning :D
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Are any of the factions which have already been previewed going to get as much detail as the Lugiones did? I'm thinking Pergamon in particular, being the faction I'm most interested in. Its preview looks rather cursory now, by comparison.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

In game, they will be certainly be getting as much detail. However when it comes to previews, we won't be going over the same territory twice. Previews are there to show off what we have achieved so far, and we won't be spending time to make them all as extensive and extraordinary as this.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

I read the the Europa Barbarorum team was going to be rearranging many province borders, and I had an idea for Italy. The region of Samnium was always very distinct from its neighboring areas, and is not included in EB. I was thinking that perhaps this province could be added in EB2. I know that the Europa Barbarorum team is already strapped for privinces, and other areas probably need representation more direly, but if possible, could this be addressed?

Question: Will there be a "beta test"? and if so, how could one sign up? I'd really like to, since EB has taken up more of my time than almost anything else this past month.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    I have vista 64 and it runs fine.

I don't think we can give a system requirements as it isn't finished yet although as of now it runs perfect with maxed out settings on my 3Ghz E8400, 4gb ram & 512mb ati HD4870.
    Is 4GB RAM likely to be the recommended (as 2GB is recommended for EB right now) amount? Is all that script-processing memory-intensive?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Has anyone yet tested SSDs instead of using a classical harddisc? I mean, a system is only as fast as the slowest part, right?
    - 10 mov. points :P

Hard drive access speeds really don't really make any noticeable difference to performance in computer games. RAM, GPU and CPU are the main factors.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Is 4GB RAM likely to be the recommended (as 2GB is recommended for EB right now) amount? Is all that script-processing memory-intensive?
    I think we at too early a stage to make such a recommendation, I'll just say that right now it runs perfect with my set up.
    Because of better scripting commands your average EBII script will be less intensive than a similar EB one, but we will be doing more with EBII so they will probably balance out.
    Last edited by bobbin; 01-26-2011 at 15:46.

Fair enough. I've actually got a new machine now, an Acer Aspire Revo 3600; RAM is easily upgradeable (I can get to 6GB cheaply, currently has 2GB), but the rest I think is fixed. Reasonable graphics card, but the processor is Intel Atom 330 (two 1.6Ghz cores). It's not really designed as a gaming machine (though it's markedly better than my previous), so I'm wondering if I'll end up needing a beefier proper desktop when EBII appears. I can't even run EB with all the graphical options maxed out on it.

I asked about the SSD because when i´m playing EB there seems to me like kind of delays when loading the campaign maps after the battles, for example. And it´s exactly, when the most CTD accure in my games. For shooter games it might be not of interest, but with all the stuff installed on the hard disc, the data folders must be read etc. i somehow suspect that strategy games would run more smoothly, especially the heavy scripted EB. Since i don´t have a SSD yet, i thought, someone on the dev team might have tried it out. It needs a test, but since my pc is too old to integrate that new technology ( or would be at least not really efficient ), i´d wait till i´ll have to buy the new one. And i suspect, i´d need it to play EB2 to my full satisfaction ;)
    - 10 mov. points :P

Thats a issue with the way RTW handles RAM, its got nothing to do with your hard drive. I seriously doubt you will see any noticable performance increase, your money would be better spent on a better graphics card or more RAM.

Fair enough. I've actually got a new machine now, an Acer Aspire Revo 3600; RAM is easily upgradeable (I can get to 6GB cheaply, currently has 2GB), but the rest I think is fixed. Reasonable graphics card, but the processor is Intel Atom 330 (two 1.6Ghz cores). It's not really designed as a gaming machine (though it's markedly better than my previous), so I'm wondering if I'll end up needing a beefier proper desktop when EBII appears. I can't even run EB with all the graphical options maxed out on it.
    Your CPU might hold you back a bit, M2TW doesn't support multicores as far as I know, so it will only use one of your cores, giving you in effect a single 1.6Ghz processor.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Your CPU might hold you back a bit, M2TW doesn't support multicores as far as I know, so it will only use one of your cores, giving you in effect a single 1.6Ghz processor.
    Ah, makes sense. Presumably R:TW doesn't support them either, which would explain why there isn't much difference between old and new machine playing EB.

Correct.

Did I read correctly somewhere that the map is bigger (in terms of size, not number of provinces) in M2:TW? So we'd get bigger (and more detailed?) provinces?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 03-04-2011 at 19:32.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Yes, the map will be 1.3x the size of EB1

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

For some reason, M2TW runs far better than RTW on my latest computer. It's very weird.

The actual playing of the game (campaign and battle) i'm sure will be on par with MTWII as far as performance goes, but will the scripts cause a huge performance drop during the turn change like in EBI? Or is the MTWII infrastructure much more efficient and doesn't destroy performance as much?

MTWII runs perfect for me and turns change in about 3 seconds, but even AlexEB takes about 30 seconds for turns for me.

Scripting in M2TW is a lot more efficient, but then we are doing a lot more with it than in EB so it's hard to say.
    Last edited by bobbin; 03-09-2011 at 16:40.

hopefully it doesn't get to Stainless Steel levels, where it literally takes about 3 minutes for a change in turn for me and i know it's not just me, many stopped playing because of that. I trust the EB team though!

Quote Originally Posted by fomalhaut View Post
    hopefully it doesn't get to Stainless Steel levels, where it literally takes about 3 minutes for a change in turn for me and i know it's not just me, many stopped playing because of that. I trust the EB team though!
    yea as great as SS is that really kills the game for me :(
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

I can't say I'm bothered about how long the between-turn processing is; if we get a really deep, detailed experience then its worth it, IMO.

I'm really looking forward to the Gaza campaign, is there any more detail on what it will involve? Will it be a limited-scope campaign with two factions and something like 20 turns? Or just a collection of battles?

EDIT: The preview stele of long ago says you have to play as Ptolemy; is that still the plan?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 03-13-2011 at 01:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    will hoplites be able to switch to a secondary weapon, a sword?
    No, that is not possible given the limitations of the engine.

Foot
    Oh man ..

Satyros
    Smell the battle in the wind, before you see us.Winterhorde of furyride, the wind will lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyros View Post
    Oh man ..

Satyros
    Isn't that everyone's gripe about the pikes in the unmodded game?

I read that the concept of the Syrakusan Hoplite as a unique unit was not exactly well supported? Even with that, will the Hoplites of Syrakuse still have a very unique skin at least? I think many would agree that they are one of the best looking units in the game, the bronze/blue color scheme with the shield design was very cool.

I wouldn't be too sad to see them go, if means that new factions get enough units.

I don´t know if this has ever been adressed before but are you going to make Northerneuropean soldiers larger than their Mediterranian counterparts. I have no idea how hard this is to do, but I think it´s possible since you are already altering the sizes of the different horses used in the ancient world (Like to be seen in the Pritanoi preview). It would be just a nice bit of detail adding to this already awesome work.

yo!

demand will probably been asked a million times ... but when it comes out? I'm not in the skin

p.s. This is my first msg, thanks to everyone for the tremendous work you do for free

No time soon, sareth. There will however be some sort of mini-campaign that functions like a tutorial which will be released before the first full release. No idea how soon that may be.

I am extremely surprised and amazed that the question "when it comes out?" is not in the FAQ. Please put it up there...

Quote Originally Posted by Qvintvs View Post
    I am extremely surprised and amazed that the question "when it comes out?" is not in the FAQ. Please put it up there...
    The reason it's not up there is because there is no definite release date. (I'm guessing I'm not on the team)

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast