Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After battle CTD...

Default Re: After battle CTD...

Hi people this is my very first post here !
    I have that EB CTD too... I am running it on a PIV 3.0 gh 1.5gb ram nvidia6600
    Despite the REALLY old pc, the game still run great (loading still long) but that CTD problem is making me sick :(

I only have crashes at the end of a battle, and in my experience it is not a matter of faction/location/size of battle and sometimes neither how much time you are playing. Right now i did that battle in Syracuse like 4 times with Koinon Hellenon and it still crash even if the pc just fresh started. I can't apply the "theages solution" cause i have winxp 32 and 1.5 gb of ram ... so... what to do ? please i really love that game! :D
    without that crashes it would be like perfect!
    Last edited by maverickbr1; 09-27-2010 at 00:51.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Welcome to the forums!

Did you wait before returning to the campaign map for a minimum of 15 seconds? This helps a lot.
    Increasing the page-file could also be a way to get around the RTW-memory leak.
    If you have access to either the BI or ALEXANDER addon, using them decreases the chance of getting this bug, for installations see the unofficial-mod sub-section of this forum.

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Thanks XSamatan...

My page-file is 2000-4000, i modified it some days ago since i read that this parameters was better, but before this it was like 4000-5000 so probably i already tried this solution when i first played EB some years ago.
    Honestly the ALEXANDER addon is the only thing i didn't tried, but the bad thing is that i have to unistall all and probably lose all my savegames, isnt' it? I understand that they might have been improving the game a lot but when i was playing the RTW vanilla, there were no signs of crashes even when playing hours and even with greater and "complex" battle... so if there is a memory leak it only mainfest itself on EB. Thats sad for me since EB is a whole different game compared to vanilla.

No, the memory leak is there in vanilla too, but EB maxes out all aspects of the engine so it comes earlier to bugs. Sadly there is little we can do against it.
    If you switch to Alex you have to start a new campaign, but you don't have to install anything again, just install ALEX+the files provided by Maksimus: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...1-ALEXANDER-EB

XSamatan

Ok i will try and i will post results but... all the campaign AGAIN !!! :( it already happened when i installed BI !!
    OMG i think i will never take mty bachelor degree ! :D

mmm sorry for thew off topic but you think i can try with FOR ''ENGINE'' USE ONLY or the ALEXANDER EXTENDED EB MOD ?

PS. don't know if it helps but my results in checkEDB are:
    Error parsing line 521: Couldn't find a matching {smiths_workshop} entry in text\export_buildings.txt
    Last edited by maverickbr1; 09-27-2010 at 23:03.

The 'for engine only' files are fine for your need, you don't have to use the full modification. However, I'm not sure if you have to delete the immortal trait manually, best to ask Maksimus in his thread personally, it is too long ago for me to remember.
    Using Alexander, I don't get any CTD'S that are repeatable, and if I wait for 20 seconds after the battle also no crashs at this point.

If you apply the files from Maksimus, the validation tool won't work as it is designed to check a non-modded EB.

XSamatan

Just for the record I was getting a consistent crash after a large city assault battle. Running Vista64 I applied the ntcore patch and waited a good 20sec or so after the battle and no more crashes. Which is good because I didn't really want to do that battle again for the 4th time!

Game config: EB 1.2 + Fixes. Campaign as Romani M/M, Huge unit size, using the RTW.exe
    Mods added: Win conditions, Force Diplomacy, RS map textures, Naval Start add on (only trade cart), No big trees, New quotes, MC player formations
    Last edited by AstroCat; 10-25-2010 at 16:50.

Crap... just had another crash after the city assault. Grrr! I think I am gonna have to bail on my rtw.exe game and go for the Alex minimod and see if this helps because this is really killing my fun. :(
    Last edited by AstroCat; 10-28-2010 at 04:07.

I had problems with the game crashing later in campaigns after battles. I tried Theages suggestion and IT WORKS GREAT! No more crashes after large battles. The CFF Explorer method has solved a lot of frustrations.

EB is by far the best mod, after playing this for over a year its really hard to play other mods because of how much attention to detail EB has.

THANK YOU Theages! This post should be made easily accessible for anyone else having CTD issues. USE CFF Explorer and follow the instructions IT REALLY WORKS!
    Last edited by Heterosapien; 12-15-2011 at 02:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Theages View Post
    I also experienced after battle CTDs quite often. My system has 8GB RAM. I am using Vista x64. Rome therefore runs in 32 emulation mode ('WOW64'). I use the BI - exe.

A standard 32Bit program on a 32Bit OS can only use 2GB ('User RAM') The rest is for system. On Windows Server 2003 there is a recommendation to alter the boot.ini to set the ratio to 3:1 instead of 2:2 for applications like Exchange Server 2003, which can use more than 2GB. In the header of each exe-file there is an entry specifying if the program can use more then 2GB.

A previous poster in this thread suggensted that the after battle CTDs are due to memory management problems. That seems to be true.

Some time ago in some forum thread I can't remember (I can't even remember which game it concerned) I stumbled over a comment, that it could be generally useful to set the exe-file to be able to use >2GB RAM when using Vista 64 or Windows XP x64.

So I tried that on the BI-exe. The result was, that after battle CTDs occur much, much fewer times.

So I suggest that everyone who is plagued by after battle CTDs and uses a 64Bit Windows tries the same. The following instructions are based on using the BI-exe. But it should also work with RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-ALX.exe.
    1. get 'Explorer Suite' from www.ntcore.com (freeware)
    2. install it
    3. make a copy of RomeTW-BI.exe'
    3. right click on 'RomeTW-BI.exe'
    4. choose 'Open with CFF Explorer'
    5. in the left tree click on 'File Header'
    6. in the right window click on 'click here' in the 'Characteristics' row
    7. in the appearing window check the box in the line 'App can handle >2gb address space'
    8. click 'OK' - button
    9. click on 'save' icon
    10. Run the game as usual.
    t
    Hello, I don't know if Theages is still around but I have a question concerning his method. I use the team version of RTW (Alex in fact) and I try to get rid of those annoying CTD.

When I check in the task manager while playing I never see the RTW exe but a process named testapp.exe. Does it mean that in fact the exe I should modify with CFF explorer is testapp.exe ?

EDIT : Tried this fix and even if it's not really convincing with EB it totally fixed the ctd I had with RS2.6. But I just used the first part of the fix.
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 03-31-2014 at 11:41.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12