Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After battle CTD...

Default After battle CTD...

Sometimes After big battles when battle finished and retuning to camping map CTD happens....and I have to replay these battles

Is there any reason for this or this is only random CDT????
    Last edited by Atanamir; 05-04-2008 at 21:04.
    They make it a desert, and call it peace.
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: Tacitus

Default Re: After battle CTD...

Leaving the battle summary alone for 10-15 seconds before dismissing it is rumored to fix this.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Leaving the battle summary alone for 10-15 seconds before dismissing it is rumored to fix this.

Thanks Bovi. I will try...
    They make it a desert, and call it peace.
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: Tacitus

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Really? Mine does this quite often, i'd be very interested to know if this works. I shall try from now on, thanks a lot bovi
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Seriously???

Thanks, hopefully you just saved me a lot of time and frustration.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

10-15secs' patience works for me most of the time; if not always...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Yes, seriously. I have no idea why, and personally I haven't been plagued by these crashes. But that's what people have been reporting.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I wouldn't be surprised if it got anything to do with:
    a) e~5 the cleanup tool that performs garbage collection for RTW;
    b) deadlock or exceeding limits the OS poses on stack and heap.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I do the waiting and still get the crash....very frustrating as it inevitably happens after large heroic victories. I've also heard that more free memory reduces likelihood of the crash...I'm playing on a Core Duo MacBook Pro w/ 1 GB RAM....gonna get some more ram and see if it helps, but in the interim, I just wanted to make sure that no definitive fix has been found.

Has there been anything that can be done apart from the rumored wait 10-15 secs?

This usually happens to me when a relieving army attempts to break a siege where I have built siege equipment. I stopped building siege equipment.
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

I also experienced after battle CTDs quite often. My system has 8GB RAM. I am using Vista x64. Rome therefore runs in 32 emulation mode ('WOW64'). I use the BI - exe.

A standard 32Bit program on a 32Bit OS can only use 2GB ('User RAM') The rest is for system. On Windows Server 2003 there is a recommendation to alter the boot.ini to set the ratio to 3:1 instead of 2:2 for applications like Exchange Server 2003, which can use more than 2GB. In the header of each exe-file there is an entry specifying if the program can use more then 2GB.

A previous poster in this thread suggensted that the after battle CTDs are due to memory management problems. That seems to be true.

Some time ago in some forum thread I can't remember (I can't even remember which game it concerned) I stumbled over a comment, that it could be generally useful to set the exe-file to be able to use >2GB RAM when using Vista 64 or Windows XP x64.

So I tried that on the BI-exe. The result was, that after battle CTDs occur much, much fewer times.

So I suggest that everyone who is plagued by after battle CTDs and uses a 64Bit Windows tries the same. The following instructions are based on using the BI-exe. But it should also work with RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-ALX.exe.
    1. get 'Explorer Suite' from www.ntcore.com (freeware)
    2. install it
    3. make a copy of RomeTW-BI.exe'
    3. right click on 'RomeTW-BI.exe'
    4. choose 'Open with CFF Explorer'
    5. in the left tree click on 'File Header'
    6. in the right window click on 'click here' in the 'Characteristics' row
    7. in the appearing window check the box in the line 'App can handle >2gb address space'
    8. click 'OK' - button
    9. click on 'save' icon
    10. Run the game as usual.

For the following you really should know what you are doing.
    I have not tried this on Windows XP 32Bit. I don't know if the alteration of the file header alone would work on that OS (or Vista32). I guess on XP32 you would additionally have to add the '/3GB' and '/USERVA=2990' switches to the line in the boot.ini that starts your Windows XP (eg:'multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990'
    (change is in bold characters)

TAKE CARE. Altering the boot.ini may prevent your OS from starting. Before altering it you should make a copy of the boot.ini and install the recovery console that comes with Windows XP to be able to copy your save of boot.ini back in case the OS won't start after the alteration. Or you could duplicate the 'multi...' line in the section [operating systems] of the boot.ini and enable the boot menu to be displayed when booting the OS.

sample boot.ini:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Last edited by Theages; 05-12-2008 at 10:24.

32bit processors can usually cope with about 3.5 gb of RAM.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Today most processors support 64Bit. AMD and Intel use extensions for this (EM64T AMD64). That means you can run a 64Bit OS (Operating System) on a system with such a processor. You can also use them for a 32Bit OS.

A 32 Bit OS can at maximum address 4 GByte. That does not mean 4GB are available for the user. You have to subtract all resources (which includes memory of your graphicscard) that all the hardware in your computer needs.
    That leaves you with about 2,9 to 3,5 GB usable RAM depending on the hardware resources needed. Only Server 2003 Enterprise fully uses PAE which extends the adressable space to 48Bit and requires special PAE-aware drivers.

Additionally Windows XP 32 (or Standard Server 2003 32Bit) splits the memory in 2 pieces. One is Usermemory which can be used by a program. The other is system memory (used by the OS). Therefore a single application can get no more than 2GB RAM. The /3GB ans USERVMA switches in the boot.ini tell the OS to provide 3GB Usermemory. For a program to be able to use more than 2GB it has to be specifically flagged for this. This is what I suggested in my post above.

Since the after battle CTDs (completely) went away after setting the program to be able to use more than 2GB, I am quite sure that after battle CTDs are caused by a memory leak. The program seems to simply run out of memory to continue (it does not free it soon enough)

Perhaps my solution only works on Vista64. It would be some kind of compatibility setting.

To falsify or verify my suggestion it would be nice if those that are plagued by after battle CTDs and especially use Vista64 would try it and give comments on the success (and add the amount of RAM installed in your system)

Generally it should be noted on which OS with how much memory and using which exe (RometW, ALX, BI) the CTD occured. As far as I remember the complaints mostly stated that hard battles had to be replayed, which I interpret as long battles with more than a few units involved.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theages View Post
    I also experienced after battle CTDs quite often. My system has 8GB RAM. I am using Vista x64. Rome therefore runs in 32 emulation mode ('WOW64'). I use the BI - exe.

A previous poster in this thread suggensted that the after battle CTDs are due to memory management problems. That seems to be true.

Some time ago in some forum thread I can't remember (I can't even remember which game it concerned) I stumbled over a comment, that it could be generally useful to set the exe-file to be able to use >2GB RAM when using Vista 64 or Windows XP x64.

So I tried that on the BI-exe. The result was, that after battle CTDs occur much, much fewer times.

So I suggest that everyone who is plagued by after battle CTDs and uses a 64Bit Windows tries the same. The following instructions are based on using the BI-exe. But it should also work with RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-ALX.exe.
    1. get 'Explorer Suite' from www.ntcore.com (freeware)
    2. install it
    3. make a copy of RomeTW-BI.exe'
    3. right click on 'RomeTW-BI.exe'
    4. choose 'Open with CFF Explorer'
    5. in the left tree click on 'File Header'
    6. in the right window click on 'click here' in the 'Characteristics' row
    7. in the appearing window check the box in the line 'App can handle >2gb address space'
    8. click 'OK' - button
    9. click on 'save' icon
    10. Run the game as usual.
    I must thank you, Theages. I was in a serious dilemma when my Getai army was attacked by a full stack of Romani during their turn, a battle which I was forced to fight myself (autosave produced a heavy defeat). I ended up winning a "heroic victory" for the battle, but as soon as I returned to the campaign map, I would have a CTD. I came upon this and followed your instructions and tried playing the battle a fourth time, but with yet another CTD.

I decided to use CFF Explorer for the EB.exe proper. The fifth time doing the battle, I also decided not to take any screenshots (which seemed to be the root cause for an earlier battle CTD). Somehow, I won a heroic victory and no CTD! I don't know if it was due to your advice or no screenshot-taking, but I'm inclined to think the former. However, I will do some more testing to confirm this.

Oh, and I am running Vista 32Bit with 2GB of RAM. I only enacted your first set of instructions (I was too afraid to bother with boot.ini).
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Hey Frontline1944, when you say you used the CFF Explorer on the EB.exe proper, are you referring to the EBTrivialscript.exe or RTW.exe? I am running on EB1.2 on Vista 32bit, 2.4GHz, seem to be alternating between before battle crashes and after battle crashes and its driving me freaking insane. I tried what Theages suggested, with the CFF Explorer, making the necessary adjustments. The the battle loaded this time, I won a victory and then it crashed again. When I tried restarting my EB to try again it crashed before even loading the battle. What should I be trying?

Based on what Theages said, I would presume you should do this with rometw.exe.

================
    ================

Hey I was wondering if the EB Team could post a best set of video settings,etc for people who have this problem and also perhaps tell us what could be done o streamline the running of EB...These CTDs are ruining an absolutely priceless gaming experience...Any idea on what could be done?Does using the CF Explorer and the setting of RTW.exe to high priority on the task manager list help in anyway?

I have seen that this problem appear in late stage of campaign when the player has many towns. CTD appear randomly , the region affected depend on faction you play. For example Pahlava can't fight near Olbia and Cyrene, Greeks can't fight near Massalia and Ippone. But near Alexandria all factions have this problem. Maybe Alexandria bug spread randomly among others regions in late stage of campaign.

In my current roman campaign when I clock end turn I have to fight 3 different battles, and I haven'et yet gone through them despite trying them a gazillion tiems due to CTDs, will try

Thank you Theages!!
    I suggest to everyone that is experiencing this CTD issue to try Theage's solution because it's very easy, quick and most important: it works!!

- Patricivs

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Nope.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

It actually does help quite a lot. Not in all cases but in the most reported games it helps the players to get around the RTW memory leak.

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

I've crashed about 3-4 times in the past day 'waiting at the battle summary'. It does nothing and I'm convinced it's causing more crashes for me to be honest.

Trying exe fix above. So far so good.
    Last edited by Claudius; 07-14-2010 at 08:27.

Not sure if this helps but I get a persistent crash on the loading screen especially after battles with the new quote files for eb 1.2. I put my back up files back in and it goes away. I was using the updated files on the 2nd page that are listed as fixed and it still crashes not sure if you installed them but it fixed my crashing.

I have not crashed at all since I applied the fix Theagas posted. I'm using 64bit win 7. Thank you good sir!

Smile Re: After battle CTD...

good god, leaving it alone DOES work! thanks so much!

I have not crush after battle too after I applied the fix Theagas posted AND EDB file is checked using Haus_of_Ham programm - http://www.filefront.com/16766031/checkEDB.zip/
    In EDB were some sintaxis errors

I applied Theagas's fix, but im still getting after battle CTD.
    Im running Windows XP 32bit with 2gb of RAM, and im using Steam's version of Rome total war Gold, and the Eb 1.2 mod of course.
    Its only crashing after this one battle with me as the Arveni against some gaulish tribe. Plz help.

Btw i did not do the second advanced part of Theagas's method, only cause i would not know what im doing.
    Last edited by Steforian; 09-04-2010 at 20:55.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

I would use auto_win to get the wished result if it crashes repeatable at the same point. Fighting the battle on a other turn can also help. You are waiting before quitting the battle-screen, right?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

When I was playing 1.1, they seemed to happen with about half of all heroic victories taking place on the AI's turn.

I've noticed a persistent one on the Mytilene land bridge; any time you fight a battle there and there's reinforcements involved, it crashes after the battle. I got one of those just now.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 09-25-2010 at 02:03.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast