Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Default Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

I have strange problem. Everything is working fine, untill i'm trying to start battle on map with river. Somtimes game crashes after seconds, somtimes after couple of minutes. Anyone know why?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Don't think I've heard that one before, maybe a rendering issue with water? What are your system specs?

Welcome to the Org, Kopta!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

You can take out all the river maps - this way you get more interesting battles anyway. In my mod i've done just that - although for gameplay reasons. I don't know what may be causing it.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

drone is most likely right, it could well be a rendering issue - if my memory serves me correctly I get strange looking water in battles, I've been to the doctor about it but he said...

What graphics card is it? Have you tried changing any settings or using default settings? What resolution are you running the game at?

ATI radeon HD 4800, on lower resolution it's better, i finish a battle after fifth try.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now its my turn to wring hands and grumble! :P

Hey all, I hope all is well!
    Hopefully I can show my own empire progress on M:TW once I get the sod working!
    I decided to post here, since it seemed the most appropriate, I don't have a Nvidia or.. other card, but I didn't want to clutter the ol' forum.
    Anyway, onto my problem:

I have a R510 laptop, all drivers updated, vista sp2 updated, medieval (one): total war patched with the oldest patch (1.1) and it's still not playing ball, I can load battles just fine, video works fine, it's just the campaign!

I select whom I want to play, it loads up and then goes into the pause menu. Whenever I try and resume game, it just goes back to the pause menu. Do this a couple of times (or just leave it on this menu) and it crashes to Desktop with no error messages.

Before posting I tried the solutions given, example:
    Keep to the same resolutions
    run in compatibility mode xp sp2
    try with 16 bit colour
    replace the vanilla campaign button icon with the updated one

but still exactly the same problem :/
    I can't change graphics card either since.. well, it's a laptop.

Can anyone here help, or am I doomed to go on my next exercise without a decent game to play?!
    If it helps, the spec of my laptop is-

System Model: R510/P510
    Bios: Phoenix SecureCore NB Version 06LI.MP00.20080919.SCY
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750@2.00Ghz
    Memory: 3032MB Ram

Graphics: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Main Driver: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
    Version: 8.15.0010.2302 (English)
    DX: 11

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for replying

Edit: Forgot to mention, It's Medieval (one): Total war, not any of the expansion packs or gold edition, although I could probably get it off of amazon if gold is needed to play hah. I'm pretty impatient, but I MIGHT be able to last a week without total war before cracking up... o.o

Welcome to the Org, Greyacid!

Intel graphics chipset, this has been a problem. What resolution are you trying to run with?

The only things I can think of are to try different resolutions, add a skipcredits.txt file in the top level of your MTW folder, try Win2000 compatibility mode instead of XP, and maybe turn off Vista's UAC.

Anyone else got any ideas?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

:D Thanks Drone, it's nice to be here, and thanks for the reply!
    Before I launch the game, I switch to 1024x768 to match the largest option in the video menu, and it still gives the same crash to desktop at the same place.
    Yeah, tried 2k as well as XP SP 2.

Never tried the text file, but the video at the start works fine. Unless 'Skipcredits' is something else? :s Do I have to have anything in the text file, or can I leave it blank?
    How would I turn of Vistas' 'UAC'?

The skipcredits.txt file can be just an empty file. It will skip the intro movies, it probably won't help your problem, but it's easy and worth a shot.

UAC is Vista's User Account Control "security" feature. It's the annoying pop-up you get when you try to run anything that requires admin privileges, good idea in theory, poor execution due to legacy issues. I've had it cause problems in older games, there should be a way to turn it off in the Control Panel (not on my home PC at the moment, so I can't remember exactly what to click).

N'ah no joy -.-
    definetly at my wits end..

I've emailed intel and sega, hopefully they'll know :P
    Thanks anyway man

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Anyone else got any ideas?
    All I can say is what I have already said a 1000 times. For the people so inclined, download and install Redux, that might open up a few doors where as the original MTW will not. Redux has all known fixes (or similar counterparts) built in by default and possibly then some. In my experience Redux is thus more agreeable to various newer hardware then raw MTW.

Obviously, playing the original MTW will then not be possible - on that particular install anyways. Redux are compatible to both V1.1 and VI/V.2.01 (including Gold and Eras-editions). It works on W2000, XP and W7. To find Redux, click on my sig.

It might help some people.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-16-2012 at 08:38. Reason: clarity...

Hi everyone!

I have MTW + VI. I have my own fix with buttons described above. Also, that rapidshare link does not work anymore. But first the story.

So, I was playing campaign for a while and it start crashing all the time. Couldn't even play for a very quick moment. Few clicks and crash. So I start reading posts. Did everything that was advised as a solution. Nope. Came across this post and could not find a good link for those buttons archive. Eventually found it and downloaded. Did not work. But then, game stopped crashing and I played with no crashing until I quit the game. Then, I wanted to play again and the same problem - CDT right after I loaded the game and did few clicks. So, I started to track my actions to see when the game really crash. I noticed that it crashes only when I click one province and only. Why!? So I thought for a while what is so diferrent about that province. And I found what is that. That province had number of building built so they could no longer be displayed in one page. So, I loaded the game and clicked on that province. Game froze before the crash just enough to see that the arrow button that supposed to appear to allow changing to the next page is not shown. So, I figured that the dude is right and it is really buttons. So, I was thinking that if buttons fix I downloaded does not help and one moment those buttons were loaded correctly, as I mentioned above I could play for as long as I needed before I quit the game, I need to find what to do to make them to be loaded correctly. Unfortunately was not lucky. Then I thought, well if other buttons work well why just not copy any other buttons and rename them to have the same name as bad buttons. Who cares they does not fit or looks ugly, important is it that game works. I did so by renaming ipnext and ipprev. They sort of the same arrows. Loaded my game and clicked that province. Worked! Button were not actually ugly and fit well. Just minor overlapping. But the most important it worked. Had not play long so far. Tried, worked and decided to post about it as probably there's many people struggling with this. We'll see how it works further. But this fixes only one issue with buttons. Still have frequent CDT on loading games.

Hope this will help others.

First off, welcome to the Org, Shandor.

Second, thanks for letting me know the rapidshare link is no longer functioning. That seems to happen a lot. I'll see if I can get it uploaded to our host for a more permanent link.

Thirdly, was it the ipnext.bif and ipprev.bif files you replaced (as well as button_ipnext.bif and button_ipprev.bif the fix was meant for)? I've always thought most of the CTD issues were just incompatible rendering issues, so I should probably out to learn more about the .bif stuff and what the original files did, but I'm not much of a modder. It wouldn't surprise me if other bifs don't hold the CTD trigger.

Well, first I made copy of ipnext.bif and ipprev.bif and renamed them as button_ipnext.bif and button_ipprev.bif. Worked much better as it was still crashing but not every time I clicked the province. Also buttons have brown background. Then I made copy and renamed, don't remember well not as I'm writing this from work, arrow_up.bif and arrow_down.bif as button_ipnext.bif and button_ipprev.bif. This seems solve the issue. So far no CDT when clicking province where buildings does not fit in one page. Also this seems to fix CDT when loading games and going to menu.

But I still have CDT after battles. Reverted to Vista drivers because I remember I had not problem running MTW + VI on Vista. No CDT at all. But reverting to Vista dirvers did not work. Still CDT. Seems Windows 7 to be great issue. On new systems MTW will crash no matter what if VI is not installed. I remember on Vista I could not get MTW running at all, was crashing all the time when starting campaign and none of the solutions helped. After installing VI it was working with no problem. Now as I have Windows 7 it constantly CDT. I also think it could be DirectX and not Windows 7. Reverting to older DirectX may solve the problem.

hello all! this is the first time i write in a forum, but my problem coerce me to look for some help. i´ve read the hole forum dialog from 2008 until 2011 and i am sure, that the napoleon mod will help me. but i can´t find the right mod! please help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis khan View Post
    hello all! this is the first time i write in a forum, but my problem coerce me to look for some help. i´ve read the hole forum dialog from 2008 until 2011 and i am sure, that the napoleon mod will help me. but i can´t find the right mod! please help me!
    Welcome to the Org, Genghis khan!

I have also added in a local link to the 2 files needed for this fix, the link is in the first post of this thread.

Welcome to the Org, Genghis khan!

I have also added in a local link to the 2 files needed for this fix, the link is in the first post of this thread.
    hey drone! thank you a lot! now i´m the first of my friends who is able to play this great old game again! soooo - i go playing now :)

Hello,
    I have the same problem many people have on here, Campaign wont open.

I have a Window 7-64bit
    Hd intel graphics card.
    Done all the button fix but no change, I have the base version of this game, no gold or mods.
    Any help would be really greatful! Thank you.

Welcome to the .Org, sturman123!

I think the problem is your Intel graphics card. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has had much luck solving issues with the Intel graphics sets. You can try running in WinXP/2000 compatibility mode, updating your video drivers, and tweaking your video settings, but I'm afraid I can't offer any tried/true fixes.

i started play again this game after a long time.
    Medieval total war viking is really awesome.
    i play at my new notebook with intel graphic card 3150.
    at first, like the other, CTD always happen.
    thanks to this forum, i read some of the solution and try it.
    and this button fix really help, now i can play it again.
    but other problem came, CTD happen when play campaign at 1204 to 1205. when early era change to high era.
    i tried to search again in the forum, but still didnt get the solution.

but after i change the version to 2.00, isntead of 2.01, now the problem didnt occur anymore.
    BTW, i just copy the game from my old hardisk, not install it properly.

Okay I'll give it a go. I have tried compatibility mode, but not upadting the drivers, also tweaked the video settings.

I tried to update the driver but that didn't work, even rolled back but that didn't work, seems like nothing will :( is there nothing else I can do?? :(

Quote Originally Posted by sturman123 View Post
    I tried to update the driver but that didn't work, even rolled back but that didn't work, seems like nothing will :( is there nothing else I can do?? :(
    Which Intel card do you have?

Which Intel card do you have?
    Intel (R) Hd graphics.

The model of my laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5040

Quote Originally Posted by sturman123 View Post
    Intel (R) Hd graphics.

The model of my laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5040
    Not familiar with the numbering scheme of the Intel graphics, but from the laptop spec I assume it's the base model (hence the lack of numbering ), HD Graphics (Ironlake/Arrandale configuration).

I doubt these suggestions will help (anecdotal superstitions most likely!), but you can try them just for the sake of it:
    • Make sure the video resolutions for both the battle and campaign match are set to the lowest settings (600x800 iirc).
    • If that doesn't work, match the battle/campaign video resolutions to the desktop resolution (1366x768?) if possible.
    • Try both fullscreen and widescreen settings for the game.
    • Create an empty file named "skipcredits.txt" in the top level dir of your MTW installation (this bypasses the start movie).
    • Make sure no other programs are running (browsers, email clients, explorer, etc) when starting the game.

Not familiar with the numbering scheme of the Intel graphics, but from the laptop spec I assume it's the base model (hence the lack of numbering ), HD Graphics (Ironlake/Arrandale configuration).

I doubt these suggestions will help (anecdotal superstitions most likely!), but you can try them just for the sake of it:
    • Make sure the video resolutions for both the battle and campaign match are set to the lowest settings (600x800 iirc).
    • If that doesn't work, match the battle/campaign video resolutions to the desktop resolution (1366x768?) if possible.
    • Try both fullscreen and widescreen settings for the game.
    • Create an empty file named "skipcredits.txt" in the top level dir of your MTW installation (this bypasses the start movie).
    • Make sure no other programs are running (browsers, email clients, explorer, etc) when starting the game.
    Tried and failed :/ looks like I'll just have to go without :(. thanks anyway

i had to personally just sign up to this site to thank the guy who came up with this fix for days upon days i messed around with the files and then this solution worked wonders thank you so much have a great xmas buddy pints on me if i ever see you!!!

Welcome to the Org, Sandiko!

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Ok guys, I have installed the xl mod with the tyberius 3 version on my windows 8 pc. However, the campaigns dont start. Just when the loading seems to end, the game crashes to desktop. I have searched the web for a solution but nothing comes up and many people seem to have this issue with windows 8. None of the compatibilty mods work and I also tried the button fix solution. Nothing. This is deeply annoying since I was really prepeared to play as cumans and crush everything visible. Anyhow, if anyone has a solution for this please let me know.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast