Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Casse

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Default Re: Casse

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80
    Actually I have found some evidence in some Germanic loanwords from Celtic - 'wire' which can prove that the monopthongised ei to ē being different between various forms of Celtic, nonetheless important in their date during EB timeline, unlike Elmetiacos' assumption that all Celtic was fully transformed:
    Which is what I've said all along! If you go back to the Materia Celtica thread, I've posited Proto-Celtic /ei/ becoming /ai/ and then /oi/ in Brythonic, giving Welsh /wy/ whereas /ei/ was reduced to /ê/ in Gaulish, which is why I had Gaisonêdes for Gaulish and Gaisonaites for British spearmen.

Elmetiacos, it is true that a nominative plural makes most sense, but you also do not know why an -e is there. as you say, a locative or whatever is silly... so there is more going on than a simple gloss. and Casse are not Gauls either.
    Unfortunately the Casse history page says they are Gauls - they have only just arrived in Britain according to that. As far as I can tell, "Casse" looks very much like the result of a misprint in an edition of Daithi Ó hÓgain's book The Celts: a History being copied.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Quote Originally Posted by blacksnail
    The problem is that "you can only say this" constantly - one might say "bordering on trollishly" - despite us repeatedly stating that we are looking into the issue internally. Again, I am amazed at the depth of passion you bring to the table for something of which you are no part and have no stake. It certainly doesn't appear as though you wish to "improve" anything here, which leaves me wondering exactly what your motives are for saying the same thing repeatedly in many places.
    I wasn't replying to the team in this case; yet another person came along with the "But you can't criticise Ranika!" thing. Alright, I won't mention him again.

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

Thank you. Sorry for snapping at you.

If it helps, there are three general gradations to work with regarding team responses:
    • "I don't think this is correct and have brought it up with the team for perusal," such as much of your Materia Celtica thread. That's something the team can at the very least look at to see if it could be used to improve the mod. Nothing guaranteed, but this kind of thing is most likely to help us out and actually get us to produce things in the mod.
    • "I don't think this is correct and have brought it up with the team, but am bringing it up again," such as this thread. Not very useful, as we already know. This generally gets grumpy responses because it distracts the historians from doing their actual work to repeat the same stuff they said before.
    • "I am going to directly attack a team member or former team member." This is just not tolerated. "I don't agree with what Ranika wrote" is fine, "Ranika was a big fat fraud" is not. This is most likely to get you annoyed responses, or on a fast-track to bandom if we think you're trolling. Generally included in this category is also "poor deluded EB team, they know not what bitter fruits they reap."

That's about it. If you're in that first category, you're golden and we are actually inclined to listen to what you have to say as something more than noise. The further down you get, less so.

The dead horse - she is unable to go faster, no matter how much she is beaten.
    Heh, I'm not trying to make your life difficult. I'm just getting contradictory responses and trying to clarify the answer. I trust your judgment in this matter, blacksnail.

"a fast-track to bandom"
    Just to note, in case non-members think this is common: there isn't such a thing really. The team has put up with virtually everything outside of direct threats without banning people. I think only two or three people have been banned from posting in the EB fora here in all the years it has been open. I honestly think we may have lost as many team members who got fed up with our "liberality" in this regard than we have banned actual posters, or at least the number is close. Just trying to make sure it wasn't misconstrued.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 05-22-2008 at 19:21.

I don't think Elmetiacos is trollying.
    He's just defending his point of view, and I believed that here open (but polite) discussion was well-admitted.
    I think that the team members are fallible mortal men as we are.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

As Teleklos said, I should have stated "deliberate trolling" - ie, spoof accounts or whatnot. As he says, this is a very rare thing. I've been here since early 2006 and I remember it happening once.

Having been asked for something positive, I'll open a new thread on suggestions for Cassian history.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234