Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Look here regarding problems getting VanillaMod to work or to verify installation

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Look here regarding problems getting VanillaMod to work or to verify installation

First post of this thread has 2 links. You need both.

Have you verified in Vista that the files you got are not simply not being used as tends to be the case? Some people had problems with Vista running the mod until they sorted it out by changing a few system settings.

When you run the bat file, do you get the command line popup that sticks around while it loads the game?
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Default Re: Look here regarding problems getting VanillaMod to work or to verify installation

I have both files, when I run the .bat file the command link is: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War>medieval2.exe @VanillaMod.cfg
    it sticks around..
    Do you know of a method to see if the files are being used, or the system settings? Im confused on that part.

In the bat file, you only need medieval2.exe @VanillaMod.cfg (I don't think there should be a space between @ and V)

How many turns can you build a brothel in? If its 2 you are not using the files.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Woot I fixed it!
    I went and I edited the permissions in the properties of the Sega folder (allowing users/admin users full control). Then I went and changed my folder settings via the control panel to allow all hidden folders to be seen. Last I reinstalled the mod files and copied over the extracted bat and cfg files to the main folder.

i pieced together what to do through here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89969

Also the bat file still launches with the same code.

Thanks for your help, time to go play your mod.

Glad you got it sorted
    Hope you like it!

I can't get this to work.

Here is what I am doing.

1. Create VanillaMod folder. inside F:\Medieval II Total War\
    2. Unzip the VanillaMod download into VanillaMod.
    3. Unzip the fix into VanillaMod overwriting files.
    4. Put a copy of medieval2.preferences.cfg on the desktop
    5. Rename this copy of medieval2.preferences.cfg to VanillaMod (have tried both renaming it to VanillaMod and VanillaMod.cfg)
    6. Open the new VanillaMod.cfg on the desktop into notepad and add
    [features]
    mod=VanillaMod
    7. Save the file and put it back into F:\Medieval II Total War\
    8. In F:\Medieval II Total War\VanillaMod run VanillaMod.bat

What happens is I get an DOS prompt window that comes up but goes away immediately followed by absolutely nothing.

Yesterday I tried putting VanillaMod.bat inside F:\Medieval II Total War\
    I ran the file and the DOS prompt came up but stayed for a few seconds and the game eventually launched but absolutely nothing was changed.

Any ideas? As far as I can tell I'm following the directions. If it makes any difference I'm running the Gold Edition, I know on RTW there were some issues with people who used the gold edition when trying to run certain mods... I am also running XP so there is no issue of permissions or things like that.
    Last edited by Fierro; 08-06-2009 at 18:36.

Screenshot of your file locations please, if not exactly as in first post.
    Also, XP or Vista?

Well, I'm not sure what, if anything, I did differently from yesterday but now I tried putting VanillaMod.bat F:\Medieval II Total War and running it. Everything seems to be working fine now. Again, I'm sure I did not do anything differently, but it works so I'm not gonna worry too much over it

disregard, I managed to fix the problem. turns out I had saved all the VanillaMod stuff under Compatability Files. I don't exactly know how that affects things, but once I moved it into the regular Medieval II folder everything worked fine.
    Last edited by O'Hea; 08-30-2009 at 09:56.

Heh yeah, that's Vista for you. If its in compat, it won't read those.

Gentlemen:

A huge thanks to John_Longarrow and his timely post concerning utilizing a "header" file in combination with the normal default medieval2.preference.cfg in order to create the appropriate VanillaMod.cfg at runtime. That was an excellent informative post that enabled me to finalize a "Mod Installer for Dummys" Windows' installer version of this excellent VanillaMod.

Linked below is this Windows installer version of the VanillaMod 0.93 complete with the 0.93a and 0.93b files already included. This is mainly for those player/gamers who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with manually installing Mods. This lets them enjoy the benefit of this mod without stumbling through a file management learning process.

I modified the VanillaModREADME.txt to reflect the easier installation.

Specifically:

III. Installation
    Thanks to Gray_Lensman, the modification has been packaged in a Windows' Installer format that is ready to run. To install it, simply run the M2TW_VanillaMod_0.93b.exe file insuring it is correctly pointed to the main Medieval II: Total War folder (if is not already defaulted to point to that specific folder.)

It will install all the mod files into a subfolder of the main game folder appropriately named \VanillaMod.

It will also install 2 additional files into the main game folder named VanillaMod.hdr and VanillaMod.bat

At this point you are ready to run the VanillaMod as the game itself.

Note: Each time it runs it will append the VanillaMod.hdr file to the start of the medieval2.preferences.cfg which contains all your previously selected preferences and then create a VanillaMod.cfg file prior to initiating the VanillaMod game. Thanks to John_Longarrow for demonstrating this appending technique.

Run the mod using VanillaMod.bat. This should already be correctly located in the main game folder along with the VanillaMod.hdr and the previously mentioned medieval2.preferences.cfg files.

Additionally you can make a shortcut to VanillaMod.bat and then place the shortcut (not the bat file) on your desktop for easy access.
    Linked below is this Windows' Installer format of the VanillaMod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzzzjeymdcj

Enjoy.

Note1: I thought I saw a 0.93c link earlier but I was unable to find it again or confirm that it exists. If anyone knows where I might find it I would gladly rework this to include those files also.

Note2: FactionHeir, you are quite free to download and relink it elsewhere and/or direct me to any newer files to bring it up to the latest standards. If you do happen to download and relink it elsewhere please inform me so that I can point this post to that new area and clear it off of mediafire. Mediafire though useful tends to annoy users with spamming ads.
    Last edited by Gray_Lensman; 10-12-2009 at 14:09.

0.93b is the most up-to-date public version. I have a c version floating around on my harddrive somewhere though, but that would be for the map release if that happens at any stage (still need helpers!).

Thanks for the bundling though

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    0.93b is the most up-to-date public version. I have a c version floating around on my harddrive somewhere though, but that would be for the map release if that happens at any stage (still need helpers!).

Thanks for the bundling though
    Thanks for the version info. I'd volunteer to help out with other modifications but I'm still trying to get reacquainted with the M2TW gameplay itself (plus I know next to nothing about the historical background of the era).

Though I bought the game (M2TW) over 2 years ago, I've been busy modding/reworking a Civil War game which is where I learned to use this Windows' installer format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12