Thread: Mercenary units = size reduction

Default Mercenary units = size reduction

Recently I learned that if I set a unit to be a mercenary I would only need to specify one texture in the file battle_models.modeldb and one image in the 'unit_info' and 'units' folders. Since this would reduce the size of the mod I was wondering whether I should do this.

If I make most of my new units into mercenary units then they will all have the same textures, for example Germanic Feudal Knights will all look like HRE units regardless of which faction owns them. This will cause problems for Britannic, Iberian, Italian, and Scandinavian units which represent multiple factions but would all be one colour if they were mercenary units.

However it will reduce the size of the mod by about a Gigabyte (mostly by reducing images in the 'data\ui\unit_info' folder).

Does anyone have any opinnions about this?
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Default Re: Mercenary units = size reduction

Sorry for taking so long to read this.

I think a uniform Italian color, for example, that's different from any other Italian faction would be good. Here's my point- if no Italian faction uses the color green (for example) just make all of their mercenary armies green texture. Or even dark green so the player really knows that they are a mercenary army. Personally I don't care about the colors of the units, but for people that have slower connections, I would do it for them.

HRE mercenary armies can have dark yellow and black, mercenary Polish armies can have dark or maroon red, etc.
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.