Thread: Sweboz units

Default Sweboz units

I can't seem to recruit german heavy cavalry (Marhathegnoz) or germanic heavy infantry (Thegnoz Drugule). Am i missing something? Are there hidden rquirements or are these units triggered by reforms or what, 'cos i'm stumped.

Default Re: Sweboz units

They're triggered by reforms. Check the FAQ for the requirements
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

man, i seriously had my hopes up to find some critcism on par with the level thrown at the Celts...
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

No one messes with you cause you haven't left yet. If Ranika and the other celt dude were here, no one would be saying anything;it's easier to criticize when their is no one to defend.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

what if i pretend to leave... aww- no fair

man, you guys just wait... the Proto-Germanic got back-constructed even further and I have created Pre-Germanic to coincide better with EB's timeline... got the Pre-Baltic and Pre-Slavic going too... you guys should get it in the next patch, or if not, when I release the Pre-Germanic Indo-European Voice Mod as a separate install I will make for EB1.

for EB2, new unique province/settlement names- no more x-land/x-gau names too... although some still have it because they are good terms

SPAM 4 U: (yeah, needless to say, I spent way too much time on this ) FYI- the /ch/ is just cuz x would freak too many English speakers out and Greek Chi gets translated so for Greek units, so Germanic shouldn't get better treatment... although Germanic characters are still way cooler.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under Construction- damn Nasal Loss!
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 06-05-2008 at 03:28.
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Nice Baltic unit progression, Maybe I should try Sweboz....

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80
    man, i seriously had my hopes up to find some critcism on par with the level thrown at the Celts...

Well, there's not much to criticise. I'm quite happy with both the look and stats of the Sweboz units. The two new cavalry units are well done, the reform requirements are not too hard but still realistic enough and the new celtic regionals are quite a useful addition.

However I find the Sweboz much more challenging in 1.1 than they were in 0.8. In 0.8 I always had a rather relaxed approach to my Sweboz campaigns, after uniting the tribes I would slowly advance into eastern Europe and the Alps before expanding into Gaul and ultimately facing the Romans. Now in 1.1 this strategy is rendered almost impossible. The Eastern European Defence armies are rather difficult to defeat, making key provinces like Eburonum and Iuvavoaeta hard to conquer. Also the Getai and the Sauromatae are a lot more agressive now, so that conquering Eastern Europe is no longer the cakewalk it used to be. In the end you are surrounded by strong enemies and it's difficult to pay the troops you need to face them all at the same time.
    Due to these gameplay changes I play Sweboz now only if I'm in the mood for a fast and challenging game instead of a laid back build up campaign.

One thing perhaps: I kind of liked the old skin for the Germanic Pikemen, mainly because of their hairdo. Are there any chances this skin could be used for another regional unit?

I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I totally know what you mean concerning the old Gaizaharjoz hairstyle- it was pretty cool In general we plan to bring in more hairstyle as significance to social class so that 'long hairs' who would typically knot it like that are portrayed as the elites, since they'd have more time for hair care- pretty boys that they may be Also, EB2 should give us more range so that we can have any helmets mixed with other warriors without... although I admit i am not sure how exactly we can mix the models.

Also, I am in agreement- those AI stacks are brutal- they have Celtic elites so even a full stack of Sweboz might not do the trick, esp. with a second spawning army next turn.
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 06-01-2008 at 18:15.
    HWÆT !

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Well I for one find them very unhistorical. Now I'm gonna pretend to be a linguistic expert and make many mistakes too. I'm now going to refer to one sentence the whole time to make my point. And I'm going to look for quotes I can't find with google. Is that better?
    Last edited by Moros; 06-01-2008 at 18:17.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros
    Well I for one find them very unhistorical. Now I'm gonna pretend to be a linguistic expert and make many mistakes too. I'm now going to refer to one sentence the whole time to make my point. And I'm going to look for quotes I can't find with google. Is that better?
    It's a good start, but you must also remember to note how any text that goes against your claims are taken out of context, and any archeological evidence that doesn't support your position is a hoax, misinterpreted, never existed or was put there to test your faith. Never admit that there's the slightest chance of you being wrong, and make a lot of generalizations and over-simplifications. If you can do all that, then you've earned your asshat.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

*Ibrahim thows temper-Tantrum*

WANT VOICEMOD NOW!!!

nah, just kidding, but I'd like to see it soon..
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

My only criticisms for the Germanic units are concerning helmets. The first is that I think that a few too many units have helmets- for instance, why do Germanic light cavalry have helmets? I can understand heavy cavalry owning them, but not light cavalry. The second is that the form of the leather helmet that many units wear is really strange; I understand that there are no actual examples to work from, but I really doubt that a leather helmet like that would have had separate cheekpieces.

For the rest, however, they are definitely one of the best factions in EB. The revamp got rid of almost all the old questionable reconstructions and the new conservative reconstructions suit them well.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking
    It's a good start, but you must also remember to note how any text that goes against your claims are taken out of context, and any archeological evidence that doesn't support your position is a hoax, misinterpreted, never existed or was put there to test your faith. Never admit that there's the slightest chance of you being wrong, and make a lot of generalizations and over-simplifications. If you can do all that, then you've earned your asshat.
    Of course but nobody presented counter arguments yet...

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80
    man, i seriously had my hopes up to find some critcism on par with the level thrown at the Celts.
    My answer to this is:
    Quote Originally Posted by burn_again
    Well, there's not much to criticise. I'm quite happy with both the look and stats of the Sweboz units.
    Overall well done.

Question Re: Sweboz units

I was tricked by the building description.
    Last edited by moriluk; 01-14-2009 at 14:05. Reason: oops

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80 View Post
    Well, people moslty complain about Germania rather than the Sweboz. Fix the tress so we can actually see what we're suppose to criticize.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

i too saw them in the requcuitment preview but i once forgot to activete the script and thus have 2 turn years :( (i know playing without script sucks but I just wanna meet the victory conditions^^)
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    My only criticisms for the Germanic units are concerning helmets. The first is that I think that a few too many units have helmets- for instance, why do Germanic light cavalry have helmets? I can understand heavy cavalry owning them, but not light cavalry. The second is that the form of the leather helmet that many units wear is really strange; I understand that there are no actual examples to work from, but I really doubt that a leather helmet like that would have had separate cheekpieces.

For the rest, however, they are definitely one of the best factions in EB. The revamp got rid of almost all the old questionable reconstructions and the new conservative reconstructions suit them well.
    I'm not entirely sure, but they're more like leather caps than Helmets.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty View Post
    No one messes with you cause you haven't left yet. If Ranika and the other celt dude were here, no one would be saying anything;it's easier to criticize when their is no one to defend.
    Puh-Leez. Have you even read the discussions? My god...

Quote Originally Posted by lobf
    Puh-Leez. Have you even read the discussions? My god...
    To be fair he did post in late may, so allot of the discussions(revelations) he wouldn't have been aware of.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80 View Post
    Also, I am in agreement- those AI stacks are brutal- they have Celtic elites so even a full stack of Sweboz might not do the trick, esp. with a second spawning army next turn.
    Wait they RESPAWN THOSE!?!?!?! DAMMIT!!!!! How the Hell do u beat them then.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwulf View Post
    To be fair he did post in late may, so allot of the discussions(revelations) he wouldn't have been aware of.
    Didn't notice the gravedig. Oopsies.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

New voicemod? Oh blitzy, you're making me a happy boy!

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

I'm no linguist, but after a year of learning about the stuff (from EB and yes, online sources) then I'm giving it a go in AtB.

And "Gawjom" is cognate with "Gava"
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 01-15-2009 at 12:27.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Blackeyes View Post
    Wait they RESPAWN THOSE!?!?!?! DAMMIT!!!!! How the Hell do u beat them then.
    You have to take the town the same turn.
    '.....I should like to see the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest.'