Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader View Post
Rarely do you see someone pick up an AAR years after the last update. I enjoyed this and I hope to see more from you in EB or EBII!

Chapter 61: Changing of the Gods

The Nomarch is about to doze off, when clamour pulls him back into consciousness. The Weasel storms into his chamber and goes down on his knees.

“What is the meaning of this? Why are you...?” The stout man pauses, as he understands.

“Forgive me... ,” the Weasel starts, but his master cuts him off, already setting himself in motion in limping, long-reaching steps to get dressed again. The wound still hurts as if with every step the blade was thrust anew, but there are higher stakes than the triviality of pain.

“You go and take the snake, but don't let someone think I broke my hospitality. And I... I go and take my throne.” The light of flickering torches reflects from his eyes and the shadows on his stern face seem like a demon's grimace on the new Pharaoh's face.

Sarpedon stands at a window towards the barely lit atrium. He is not looking at anything in particular and his thoughts are elsewhere, far away. Behind him, someone enters the room and the rustling of clothes reaches his ears, but not further.

“The Pharaoh is dead,” the Eunuch informs him. “Delivering this message is my last service to you. I was yours only as long as he was still alive.”

Sarpedon turns around silently, leaning back against the wall.

“Did you think he would never die,” asks the Eunuch and Sarpedon notices a hint of annoyed insolence in the voice. An obedient creature as long as his master lived and now he can show his true face.

“No. But I thought I had more time,” Sarpedon admits. “He was getting better. As healthy as I have ever known him.” Fear raises inside him, as from one moment to the other, he has lost the shield he hid behind for these last years. But he also notices honest grief about Philadelphos' death, the loss of a friend and an intellectual equal. Who will grieve for me, the traitor, the snake? Bitter is the taste on his tongue.

“Leave me,” he croaks hoarsely. “Leave me and swear fealty to your new master or they will have your head too, for your service to me.”

The Eunuch only nods and leaves with quick steps. Sarpedon feels how the palace around him comes to life again. When a king dies, there is no hour too late, no night too dark.

I brought it on myself, he thinks, I will not try to run and shame myself, but take it as a man. He is calmer now and he does not fear, when the Weasel comes through the door.