Thread: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Don't let yourself be fooled by my name, I'm not going to take revenge from inside Seleukos' Palace for what he has done to me ;)

Some notes about my concept and background, which you may read before or after the chapter:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - I'm running EB on a notebook which is some years old and which has a graphics chip that is not designed for 3d, so it has some problems displaying some things. Thus there will be only few screenshots from battles (in some distances there simply are black blots instead of men) and from the stratmap itself (which is shown mostly in shades of grey and black), because it would just be ugly. As battle descriptions are mostly text, I'll try to make them a bit more colourful than they really were (in fact I autoresolve most of my battles). Scrolls are no problem, but i'm prone to forget taking screenies...
    - Due to the specs of my computer i play with “normal” unit sizes (phalanx unit 60 + 2 officers). When referring to numbers of soldiers, i multiply the number from the game by 20, so that a nearly full or full stack has about 16 to 22 thousand soldiers, which is not to much for a successor's army, in my opinion. Really small skirmishes will not be represented at this scale, but could have an appearance in text. EDIT: I might change this to a factor of 40, as I have seen most people multiplying the huge unit scale by ten (and since huge equals normal x 4...)
    - I think a story about a huge empire is of more interest if it is not too powerful. This has some consequences for my game:
    - You may notice that I'm playing quite passive. It is possible to make some serious progress against the ptolemies in rather short time, but this is not what I want, as I have to preserve them as a strong rival, able to get me in serious trouble later on.
    - The Seleucids have seen the legitimation of their rule 1. in Alexander's instruction to appoint the one as his heir who proves strongest and 2. in the makedon tradition of a military kingdom, meaning a king gets his legitimation by his assembled host (don't know if there is a technical term in english language). Thus, in contradiction to the ptolemaic practice, the seleucid Kings lead their armies by themselves. This means for me that a major campaign will only be lead by the King or his heir, who often served as a co-ruler because of the vast territory of the empire. This, in turn, has some practical consequences, as the fate of the kingdom will depend greatly on the wits and health of its king...
    - I'm sure there will be some weak kings in the future, but i hope, i'll get someone who qualifies as a “Megas”, too :)
    - I'm twisting history, but I also try to use it as inspiration or guideline (for example that military kingdom thing).
    - I know I'm inconsistent in my use of british or american english, so please just don't bother

Chapter 1: Baptism by Fire

Dust is dispersed when two feet hit the ground. The feet are clad in light boots of soft, red leather, which have become gray from a long travel, as has the dark red cloak which the tall young man has wound around his shoulders. The man's beard has grown wild, as he had not allowed himself to have it shaved for several weeks, but the piercing glance of his clear and proud brown eyes reveal that this had to be a man of most noble birth.
    With long, resolute steps he covers the last few meters to the height of the hill, while one of his inferiors takes hold of his horse's reins, a black arabian steed of beautiful and noble physique.
    With folded arms the young man watches the plain in the south, squinting because of the burning sun of the early afternoon. In the distance a small cloud of dust reveals the approach of several horsemen.
    “Oh, Strategos, our scouts are returning!” exclaimes an aide nearby. “I'm not blind!” answers the annoyed young general in a harsh voice. He turns to the speaker. “Nor am I deaf!”

The young Strategos' name is Theodoros, son to Antiochos Soter and Kleronomos Basileois of the Arche Seleukeia, since Antiochos had his first born executed for treason. The realm of Seleukos Nikator sees difficult times, now in the 42nd year of the Seleucid Era, the eleventh year of Antiochos' rule.
    In the west, the conflict with Ptolemaios II Philadelphos has not yet been settled and the seleucid influence in Asia Mikra is fading, while in the east Satraps and Vassals of the Arche gain confidence in their own strength and the absence of central power and the first of them even dare to challenge Antiochos' hegemony.
    Two years ago Antiochos lead his men to Syria to fight the Ptolemaioi. He send his second born, Theodoros, to the east to restore order and authority in the empire's eastern satrapies, while Sarpedon, the third born, was declared Emporiarches and head of the bureaucracy and set up residence in Seleukeia on the west bank of the Tigris to secure the functionality of trade and administration while the crisis lasts.

Theodoros set out with only a few soldiers and lead his men in a forced march through Media, gathering forces, poorly trained and rather a bunch of armed peasants and shepherds than an army, consisting of mostly Persians and Medians, but also Sogdianes, Armenians and even some Arachosians and Dahae.
    While Theodoros traveled eastwards he ordered the garrisons in Sogdiana and Dayuan to be abandoned, because he considered them as undefendable for now, even if the Satrap of Baktria would send some of his troops for assistance.
    When the army approached Hekatompylos, news were delivered that a force of Parnoi, a tribe of the Dahae, nomads and pillagers who were living in the steppes east of the Caspian Sea, had been marauding in Astauene and setting siege to Asaak for some month before marching west through Hyrkania. Although Theodoros knew his army was lacking troops for a line of battle, he ordered the march through the mountains down to the hyrkanian coast to confront the incursors, without some rest for the exhausted soldiers.

“Strategos! We have come to late, Zadrakata has fallen!” The scouts belonged to Theodoros' arachosian cavalry, one half of his light cavalry. The other half were Dahaen, on whom he rather kept an eye, mistrusting them in a fight against their brothers from the Parnoi, as they owed loyalty to Theodoros' coins at best.
    “No,” Theodoros answers, while mounting his horse, “we are just in time. We will descend upon them, while they are still celebrating their victory, drunken and tired of fighting. And with the guidance of the gods we will teach them how a descendant of Seleukos deals with betrayal!”

The red sun has just risen above the hills of Hyrkania, to greet the new day. Its light is reflected by the points of two thousand and four hundred pikes, carried by Theodoros' levy phalangitai, the light troops, nearly one and a half time that much, advance before them, on the flanks the light cavalry from Arachosia and the Dahaens, behind them the Strategos himself, accompanied by his own Ile, somatophylakes of makedonian descend.
    Reluctantly had Theodoros refrained from attacking the day before: too tired his men, too late the day. But now he was ready to teach the Parnoi their last lesson.
    Theodoros wears his fine armor which marks him as the general, but not yet his helmet, because it obscures his view. The Parnoi have assembled behind the palisade, which still shows the breaches that were cut in the assault. These breaches now shall be used against them. Theodoros' troops outnumber the enemy, but he suspects the Parnoi to be better fighters individually. Luckily, they are not able to use their horse archers to best efficiency, as they are trapped behind the walls.
    Shouts sound from the first ranks. The enemy has begun to shot at the approaching Parsoi. The army comes to a halt and the battle of archers begins, while the pikemen, levied and poorly trained, nervously await the things to come.
    Volley after volley is fired over the palisade and the Thanvare Pahyadag and Shuban-i Fradakhshana seem to gain the advantage over the less numerous Shivatir-i Pahlavanig and Daha Baexdhzyntae who can not exploit their mobility. The air is filled with the sound of arrows beeing loosened, for a time which seems endless. But finally, silence falls on the battlefield.
    A break, a tension which almost hurts, nature itself seems to hush, no bird's song is to be heard. Only the heated air seems to whirr, entangling the soldiers' minds, making armor and weapons a heavy burden – then, another signal. The phalangitai are ordered to advance.
    The Auletai play the flutes, governing the tact of the pikemens' lockstep. The Taxeis move forward in tight formation, they slide over the grass like wooden rectangles on a table. The distance shortens, the Phalangitai approach the gaps left in the palisade.
    But then, it happens: The untrained men lose their step when entering through the breach, the formation gets confused. The Verkhana Kofyaren, lightly armored infantry armed with axes, pour into the gaps in the formation, ruthlessly hacking their way through the terrified pikemen.
    At another breach in the wall, the phalanx has managed to enter the city, but the parnoi general, Harasp e Dahaen, throws his heavily armored cavalry into them.
    The battle now is on a knife's edge. The young prince sends his skirmishers into the fray: all or nothing. The general's Ile closes up fast, there: an opportunity for a charge – Xyston lowered, tension – and clash. The light hillmen burst asunder as the wedge of iron cuts through them, like a trieres with full drive cuts through the waves. Hillmen go to the ground, to the right and left, trampled by horses, impaled by lances. The charge slows down – Xyston dropped and Kopis released – slashing left and right – blood, blood, shouts, crying, iron, blood – everywhere, nothing else. Suddenly a commotion: the horse, the fine, the beautiful Arabian, bucks – the reins are loose – grasping – slipping – falling. Noise, blood, shouts, iron – everywhere, nothing else.
    Theodoros is on his knees. Noise, heat. Sensation fades away – the noise quiets down, the vision is blurred, only the whirring heat beyond the helmet remains. The delirious mind wanders. Theodoros watches himself, this morning, on his horse, in front of the troops. They looked up to him, waiting for his encouragement, waiting for a straw to grip to avoid decline, in their first battle. Looking up to him, the Kleronomos Basileois, in shining armor, worth more than they can imagine. He watches himself talking, not hearing a word. He tries to remember what he told them. He spoke about the gods, about faith and the confidence in the aid from the gods. He spoke about Seleukos, who is Apollo's mortal son and whose grandson he is. Then, he told them to say their prayer and they kneeled down. If we have faith, we will prevail. Then he hears something. Quiet, far away, but slowly growing louder. A scream, maybe. Then, the sound of metal, hammering on metal. Shouting, fighting. Blood. With a strong impulse Theodoros darts upwards – a man tumbles in front of him, the chest breaking open with a stream of blood, giving way for the tip of a Kontos, thrusted with might from horseback. It is the man Theodoros blustered yesterday. No time to think about. Act fast. A leap, a grip, a strong pull. The armored rider is irritated, strongly leans to the side, tries to find his balance. The prince drops the Kontos, now he gets a grip at the rider's arm, another pull and a hard slash into the face. Merely a glimpse of time is gone when Theodoros draws himself onto the horse.
    Finally he has some overview. The streets are still in chaos, but only few are still fighting and the battle is won, at a high price.

Wellllll, please tell me if you'd like something like this, will you?
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 03-07-2009 at 12:26.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Default Re: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

i wish you luck in the campaign. I played the AS in 1.0. It was fun, but i never had enough money. I would try to build troops to defend the cities, and then start losing money, and then i would try to build infranstructure to pay for the troops, and i wouldn't be able to build more troops to replace the ones i lost. It was a vicious cycle that ended with me quitting the campaign.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristrem
    i wish you luck in the campaign. I played the AS in 1.0. It was fun, but i never had enough money. I would try to build troops to defend the cities, and then start losing money, and then i would try to build infranstructure to pay for the troops, and i wouldn't be able to build more troops to replace the ones i lost. It was a vicious cycle that ended with me quitting the campaign.
    actually, you can make money. you need to do this (if in 1.0)
    1-move capital further east
    2-raise taxes in the heartland, lower in the hinterland
    3-disband as many troops as possible from heartland provinces (no gov? leave 1 unit. if w/gov, then all but the gov are scrapped.
    4-if you want, abandon the frontier areas. you can get them back later
    doing these, I made 10000 mnai a turn. save and then do this:
    1-cut your empire into several sectors (I do it like so: Asia minor, Syria, iraq/west persia, and the east)
    2-work your way from east to west in administration.

that's it! I won the campaign in 205BC
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I moved my capital to Seleukeia, which fits with the story, as Sarpedon does the management from there while Antiochos and Theodoros are on warfare. I have normal taxes whereever i have a unselfish governor and as high as possible elsewhere. The money i earn is enough to maintain a decent army for the Basileus and a smaller, worse one for the heir and to build some buildings, so it's okay right now.
    I'm not going to be as systematical as you've been, as it all depends on the preferences of the ruling persons and i'm not going to win the campaign so early :) Perhaps i won't be able to hold together the empire, ah, so be it. The Seleucids haven't done it, neither.

By the way, thanks for contribution, both of you!
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Great, finally a Seleukid AAR! That was a good read for an introduction. Good luck with your laptop and - of course - perseverance with this campaign!

I liked the last part. I think you caught the heat-of-battle-moment quite good. Looking forward for more.
    Last edited by I of the Storm; 06-04-2008 at 09:55.

Great start! I love story aars... and I love the Seleucids - undoubtedly my favorite vanilla faction,(and multiplayer faction) and arguably EB faction as well... only thing I dislike about the EB implementation is the cataphract reforms... painful to get.

Let's see who gets the Megas title, although sometimes it's much more interesting to see the not so Megas characters.

Hi Lysimachos, a little bit sentimental new member over here, thank you for your effort and dedication to continue wrote this aar since 2008, such a long time. Do what you must to do men in RL, i hope one day see you posting aar again, on behalf of many your readers since your first posted, i wanna say thank you for your fantastic work!

Sent from my Smartfren Andromax AD688G using Tapatalk

Member thankful for this post: