Thread: Supreme Ruler 2020

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default Supreme Ruler 2020

So this has caught my eye recently:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/957/957868.html

Looks interesting to say the least. Anyone else been tracking this? I have never heard of Battlegoat Studios before.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Supreme Ruler 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    So this has caught my eye recently:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/957/957868.html

Looks interesting to say the least. Anyone else been tracking this? I have never heard of Battlegoat Studios before.
    They're practically giving away (2 tokens) Supreme Ruler 2010 on Stardock's Totalgaming network. I've been meaning to take a look at 2010, but know very little about the sequel.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Hell, I didn't even know there WAS a Supreme Ruler 2010. This bears further inspection.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Saw an ad in some gamer magazine my friend bought, looked like it might be a supreme commander knock off so i didnt even look at it
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    Saw an ad in some gamer magazine my friend bought, looked like it might be a supreme commander knock off so i didnt even look at it
    If that was in fact your impression, then the ad clearly failed in its intended purpose. Aside from being a strategy title, the game has almost nothing to do with SupCom.

The Supreme Ruler series takes place in the near future, in which you take control of one of a couple hundred regions (sometimes -- but not always -- based on the world's existing nation-states). You manage your economy, conduct diplomacy, build real-world military units to defend your region, etc. It actually looks pretty interesting, although I never got around to trying out the previous 2010 game. More info can be found here, by the way.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I tried the demo for 2020, but I got scared. It seems more complicated and less intuitive than Victoria: Empire Under the Sun. And that game is scary.

Gelatinous:

Would you say that this game is more or less complicated than Hearts of Iron?
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Default Sv: Re: Supreme Ruler 2020

I bought 2020 and I have to admit that I'm totally lost at this one.
    Victoria in all it's complex glory, I atleast could feel that I could get started and get my country running.
    Here, I have no idea where to start.
    I tried to play as Sweden and really confused.
    I keep hearing explosions and yet I have no idea why.
    Also I keep getting tanks and yet my factory isn't building anything.
    But atleast my economy was in the green.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: Re: Supreme Ruler 2020

Interesting. I'll have to try the demo.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Default Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Supreme Ruler 2020

Ok, tried the tutorial.
    Still lost.
    Of course the tutorial was pretty damn bad.

Default Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Supreme Ruler 2020

I loved the military one, it loads up says "you can control your military here", you click next and it returns you to the tutorial selection screen. Becuase that helps...

Default Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Supreme Ruler 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Ferret View Post
    I loved the military one, it loads up says "you can control your military here", you click next and it returns you to the tutorial selection screen. Becuase that helps...
    Half of them are like that.
    You click next 2-3 times and that's it, telling you things that you already knew like the economy is important. Well duh !!
    Teach me how to run it instead.

Half of them are like that.
    You click next 2-3 times and that's it, telling you things that you already knew like the economy is important. Well duh !!
    Teach me how to run it instead.
    I agree.

I like the sounds of the game, but I have no idea what is happening most of the time. For example, the production buildings tell you what they consume and produce, but not how much they consume and produce. And towns/cities, what do they do?

Blog Entries

Well... my first thoughts on the game are... This needs some serious patching before it becomes playable. The Economy works as intended, but interest rates on foreign loans needs to be corrected. Also domestic tax issues such as currency value spike sharply and you really can't do anything about it. You can declare martial law, but you can't change your countries Government type. (which idk if that is unrealistic) but it would be handy.

Foreign Diplomacy is outright broken, you can get yourself into a tangle of alliances and whatever, but they really don't mean anything. If you declare war, your allies never cover your back, and your enemies never agree to a cease fire.

Military needs tweaking, but only needs minor and progressive patching.

Technology research needs to be fixed, had several bugs even on the latest patch, where I prioritized domestic and social technologies first, but the AI always goes for Military.

The good news is that Paradox is the publisher of the title, and many more patches are to come. I'd say give it a year at least before buying that way you might have at least a playable game.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First of all, I know this is a 4 year old thread but I didn't want to start a new one for my question.

I bought this game recently when it was on discount in Gamesgate and have been enjoying it quite a lot.

Currently I'm playing as North China in Shattered Worlds campaign(with no units at the start of the game) and I need some advice. I conquered South Korea(not an easy job) and I want to launch an invasion in Japan. The thing is I'm not so sure how to do this. Whether using a beach landing or trying with airborne units? Or both in the same time? Japan is the most advanced enemy I have left and removing them from the game would give me and my "little" communist country a chance to produce better units and improve my economy.

Most of their towns have 4-5 unit garrisons in the coastal area. Their airforce is quite capable as well and their tanks look intimidating. Also, it seems that no matter what point on their islands I'm checking they can quickly send a large force against me. Since I started the game without any units then those must me most of their troops. I was thinking using the US plans from WW2 for the invasion. Most of my forces are in South Korea already. It's just that I don't want to risk destroying my army on the beaches of Japan and leaving my main territory defenceless(and it is already that).

So any advice how to minimize my casualties is welcomed.