Thread: Berbers

Ashenshen (Tenerife), Tkanaren (Canary Islands), Tamazgha (North Africa)

Default Berbers

Hi! I suppose, that in the epoc of the mod, will be berbers, righ?
    I can help developing, this culture whit info about them, leaders names...
    Im berber

Default Re: Berbers

Numidians appear in EBI, though not as a faction. While EBII will allow for extra factions, it is not known at this time whether Numidia (in some form) will be included as a playable faction. The EB team releases info on new factions as previews, but only Pergamon has so far been previewed.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Acoran View Post
    Hi! I suppose, that in the epoc of the mod, will be berbers, righ?
    I can help developing, this culture whit info about them, leaders names...
    Im berber
    Acoran, ¿esos nombres que son, guanches? (ashenshen, tkanaren, etc...)
    Last edited by vonhaupold; 06-18-2008 at 23:12.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

So, a question to you Acoran. What exactly where the Berbers up to in 272 BC? You know, any info on them would be great, I know little before of them before maybe... 100 AD.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by vonhaupold View Post
    Acoran, ¿esos nombres que son, guanches? (ashenshen, tkanaren, etc...)
    Are amazigh names... I explain you.

The cronicles wrote about guanche (habitants of Tenerife, cause Tenerife, is the name that Benhuaritas (Habitants of La Palma) used to Tenerife) name of Tenerife was Achineche, by a filology study, the original form was Ashenshen, and "Shen" means, roar "rugido in spanish", then Ashenshen, is "a lot of roar" caused by volcanic activity.

Guanche, come from Guan-shen, the son, the habitant, of "Shen" (where there are roars)

Tkanaren, is the plural, female form of Kanari. Kanari were the tribe that come from Sous (South of Morocco) and come principally to Gran Canaria, and taht is cause, Gran Canaria, take the the actual name, cause his habitants, are the Kanarii. And the female is formed adding "T" and changing to plural, Is Tkanaren.

Tamazgha, is a neology, used to refeer to North of Africa, against arab therm "Magreb"

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    So, a question to you Acoran. What exactly where the Berbers up to in 272 BC? You know, any info on them would be great, I know little before of them before maybe... 100 AD.
    I can help you about this, but the best works about imazghen (berbers) are in french language. But I know works about amazigh history.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    I forgot tell you.

The periods BC, are the Horse period, and the camel period that ends near the first years AC.

Horse Period starts near 1000 BC, until Roman empire starts and Camel is introducen in North Africa...

Are amazigh names... I explain you.

The cronicles wrote about guanche (habitants of Tenerife, cause Tenerife, is the name that Benhuaritas (Habitants of La Palma) used to Tenerife) name of Tenerife was Achineche, by a filology study, the original form was Ashenshen, and "Shen" means, roar "rugido in spanish", then Ashenshen, is "a lot of roar" caused by volcanic activity.

Guanche, come from Guan-shen, the son, the habitant, of "Shen" (where there are roars)

Tkanaren, is the plural, female form of Kanari. Kanari were the tribe that come from Sous (South of Morocco) and come principally to Gran Canaria, and taht is cause, Gran Canaria, take the the actual name, cause his habitants, are the Kanarii. And the female is formed adding "T" and changing to plural, Is Tkanaren.

Tamazgha, is a neology, used to refeer to North of Africa, against arab therm "Magreb"
    Very interesting, there's a lot of mystery and myth attached to the Canary Islands. My uncle lives in Lanzarote, and I've been there numerous times. I had heard the Guanches likely came from western Africa. Is it true that they forgot how to build boats after arriving?

Quote Originally Posted by vonhaupold View Post
    Very interesting, there's a lot of mystery and myth attached to the Canary Islands. My uncle lives in Lanzarote, and I've been there numerous times. I had heard the Guanches likely came from western Africa. Is it true that they forgot how to build boats after arriving?
    In deed, there arent so many mistery and myth, the ancient habitants of Canary Islands, come from differents parts of north africa, of actuall countries of western sahara, morocco, argelia and tunisia.

Many islands, take his names, of majoritary population that arrived to them.

For example, "La Palma", his ancient names is Benhuare - Ben-Huwwara, the tribe Huwwara is a tribe from the south of Morocco, actually arabized.

Gomera islands, taken his name, from Ghomara, tribe of rif, north of morocco. Actually very arabized too.

Gran Canaria, from his population, Kanarii, from the south of morocco too. Near atlas mountains.

Bimbaches (habitants of el Hierro) the non spanish name is, Ben-Bachir, I dont know exactly where is located actually them.

Guanches, are a lot of question where they are.

you can see more info in www.mundoguanche.com

The actual amazigh population groups are:

Canary Islands (last amazigh speakers from XVIII century), Sus (South Morocco), Rif (North Morocco), Atlas (Atlas mountains, morocco), Kabylia (Zidane is from Kabylia , Argelia), Chaoui (Argelia, close to Tunisia), Mzab (an Oasis in Argelia), Tuareg (In Argelia, Niger, Maí and Chad), nefusa (Libia), Siwa oasis (Egypt), Zenaga (Mauritaine), and another minors groups in Argelia and Lybia.

"Ben" is not a guanche or berber word but an arabian one.
    So if your etymologies are correct, the names that include "ben" in Canarias have a more recent origin - the terminus post quem would be the muslim expansion in the Magreb (circa 700 A.D.).
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Quote Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
    "Ben" is not a guanche or berber word but an arabian one.
    So if your etymologies are correct, the names that include "ben" in Canarias have a more recent origin - the terminus post quem would be the muslim expansion in the Magreb (circa 700 A.D.).
    Yeah, I had a mistake, is not Ben-Huwwara, is WEN, the same particle like WAN, in Wanche. (son of, or person of), then La palma precolonial's name is in cronicles Benahuare (that how spaniards wrote it) but the really form is Wenahwar, WEN-Hwar -> Wen-Huwwar(a)

http://www.mundoguanche.com/portada/...&idtipo=16&id=

AZUL

Hi there

i 100% support Acoran's idea of making numidians playable as a faction

i can help aswell since im my self a Riffain Amazigh and going to study history in college

Numidia

Kingdom in what now is Algeria. Existed from 201 BCE until 46 BCE, when it's collaboration with the Romans led to it being put under Roman rule. There were two tribes that made up the people of Numidia.

HISTORY
    206 BCE: There are two rulers of Numidia. Syfax of western Numidia is the most powerful and supports Hannibal in the Punic Wars. Masinissa of eastern Numidia started from this year to support the Romans, as he was losing ground against Syfax.
    201: Rome wins against Carthage, and all of Numidia is put under the rule of Masinissa.
    148: Masinissa dies, and Numidia is for a period divided into smaller kingdoms.
    113: Jugurtha ascends to power, and puts all of Numidia under his control.
    46: Numidia becomes part of the Roman province of Ifriqia Nova.
    3rd century CE: Numidia is made into a separate province.
    4th century: Numidia is the centre of Donatism, a Christian movement called heretical by the mainstream church.
    5th century: Conquered by the Vandals.
    8th century: Conquered by the Arabs.

----------------------

Numidian history

Numidia suffers from being one of history's extra's, only being noticed when they are dragged into the spotlight by the star. This explains why they are ignored until the second Punic war by most reference works. The following is therefore a brief and biased history of Numidia and Mauretania from 215 BC to 700 AD. 1000 years in 100 seconds.

Numidia at the start of the Second Punic War (219-202 BC) was part of the Carthaginian empire. The Romans tried to persuade them to change sides including sending a mission to train their infantry in 213 BC. They failed initially but in 206 BC the king of east Numidia Masinissa became an ally of Rome. Syphax king of eastern Numidia stayed allied to Carthage. When the Second Punic war came to an end the Romans rewarded their ally by making him king of all Numidia. Later expansion by Numidia gave the Romans the excuse they needed to start the third Punic war (149-146 BC).

During the power struggle over who would rule Numidia in 118 BC some Italians were murdered. This lead to Rome declaring war upon the winner of the struggle Jugurtha. This lasted until 111 BC when peace was made, however while visiting Rome to explain his actions Jugurtha had a rival murdered and this caused the war to resume. The war lasted until 105 BC after Jugurtha had been betrayed by his father-in-law and handed over to the Romans.

During the Roman civil wars of the first century BC the King Juba I sided with Pompey. Since he had backed the loosing side Numidia lost its independence and became a Roman province in 46 BC. Caesar did have some support in Numidia from Bogud, and from King Bocchus of Mauretania who received the western part of Numidia as a reward.

At the death of King Bocchis in 33 BC Mauretania was bequeathed to Rome. Augustus set up Juba II, the son of the last Numidian king, as the client ruler in 25 BC. (Trivia: Juba II married Cleopatra Selene the daughter of Mark Anthony and Cleopatra.)

Around this time the Third Augustan Legion moved to North Africa which it permanently garrisoned for the next three hundred years. The less important Mauretania was defended by 13,000 auxiliaries. A frontier of 1500 miles from the Atlantic to the Libyan desert was held by some 30,000 troops.

Constant frontier and internal revolts continued until 6 AD. The period 17 AD - 24 AD saw the revolt of Tacfarinas in Numidia. Fighting flared up again in AD 23 when Juba I died and Mauretania did not take to the rule of his son Ptolemy. The Moors united in rebellion with Tacfarinas's Musulammii tribe. The rebellion ended with Tacfarinas's defeat and death during a surprise dawn attack on his camp at Auzea (Aumale) by Publius Dolabella.

In 40 AD Ptolemy was murdered on orders of the emperor Caligula (his cousin). He left no heir and Mauretania was annexed to the Roman Empire as the two provinces - Mauretania Caesariensis and Mauretania Tingitana. A rebellion lead by Aedemon a freedman loyal to Ptolemy followed which took four years to put down.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I had a mistake, is not Ben-Huwwara, is WEN, the same particle like WAN, in Wanche. (son of, or person of), then La palma precolonial's name is in cronicles Benahuare (that how spaniards wrote it) but the really form is Wenahwar, WEN-Hwar -> Wen-Huwwar(a)

It's curious.

What is the meaning of the guanche word "wen" or "wan"?

The semitic "Ben" means "son". And it is used regularly to name tribes.
    For example, the Banu Marin (called in spanish Benimerines), the power that succeded the Almohades in Magreb, and the last important muslim threat to the christian spanish kingdoms in Middle Age.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)