Thread: Pan-Hellenic Games/Festival?

Default Pan-Hellenic Games/Festival?

How does the Pan-Hellenic games/festival building work exactly? Apart from the happiness effects listed (and the implementation of the vanilla games option for towns), it doesn't seem to do much, while from the description one would think there was a system for it similar to the Olympics.

So, how do these two buildings work?

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default Re: Pan-Hellenic Games/Festival?

It gives you happiness and bigger games/festivals. That´s it. What else you want them to do? In my KH campaign I had like 10 of those Panhellenic games, you want a trait for each one to show the winner?
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Well, you can change how frequently you want the games or festivals to occur, but that's about the limit of interactivity we can manage once you actually build them. That, coupled with the two "paths" in the first place is pretty good though. We thought about some traits for those other big three panhellenic games, but the Olympic ones is really all we can handle without flooding the player with even more traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    Well, you can change how frequently you want the games or festivals to occur, but that's about the limit of interactivity we can manage once you actually build them. That, coupled with the two "paths" in the first place is pretty good though. We thought about some traits for those other big three panhellenic games, but the Olympic ones is really all we can handle without flooding the player with even more traits.
    I understand. I like the concept just the same, it just seemed like there'd be something extra, from the description.

You guys have done a fantastic job with the mod.

Hello, it has been ages since I had my last bit of holidays but right now I have one more day to go and been grinding my KH campaign all week, and after a search for my issue I hit this thread, so... I have finally returned here to do some friendly thread-gravedigging. :) This is the first time I actually got to the point of worrying whether to build local festivals or local games (in Qarthadast); after building the festivals I noticed that I can not simply build both... so... my point is, what is the *technical* difference (game mechanics) between the two? From the build tree, it just looks like you need more pre-requisites to build the festivals (gymnasion); the building effect description in the building scroll (ingame) was 5% happiness for both, while one lets you host festivals and the other lets you host games, both of which will give you a happiness boost in exchange for raised running cost if you do more than quadrennial events (which is gameplay-technically the same). Is there a difference between festivals and games that I have overlooked? Or are they just both included for the sake of realistic completeness of truly hellenic building options?

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

The gymnasion is worth building in its own right for the impact on FMs stationed there: they get health-positive traits (In the Pink/In Rude Health/Hale and Hearty) which gives them bonus hit points, and as importantly prevents them picking up certain negative-health traits. It also slowly removes negative-health traits too.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Thank you for this advice - I had no idea and believed health traits were not subject to player behaviour, just tied to the main health trait (vigorous/languorous)... Even so, I end up building a gymnasion wherever possible at some point since it also gives any military units trained there +1 experience. But I am still wondering if there is a difference between the pan-hellenic games and pan-hellenic festivals regarding their effects on cities, governors etc. I am going to take a look at some of the descr files and see if I can find the greek entertainment buildings in there... -edit- here's what the game files say. I am sorry for the horrible jumble, but apparently I cannot set my own linebreaks on the forum anymore, so the text just got auto-compressed. Horrible bad people must have somehow abused the freedom of typing we used to enjoy here some time ago, unless I am doing something very very wrong :(
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    regionalgames requires factions { greek_cities, macedon, thrace, numidia, romans_julii, romans_brutii, gauls, scythia, britons, } and building_present_min_level government gov3 and building_present_min_level amphitheatres game_field and not hidden_resource not_here { capability { ; GREEKS - Regional Games happiness_bonus bonus 1 stage_games 1 requires factions { greek_cities, macedon, thrace, numidia, romans_julii, romans_brutii, carthage, romans_scipii, parthia, seleucid, egypt, gauls, scythia, britons, } } construction 4 cost 4800 settlement_min large_city upgrades { greatgames } } regionalfestival requires factions { greek_cities, macedon, thrace, numidia, romans_julii, romans_brutii, saba, } and not hidden_resource not_here and building_present_min_level government gov3 and building_present_min_level temple_of_battle temple_of_battle_temple or building_present_min_level temple_of_farming temple_of_farming_temple or building_present_min_level temple_of_fertility temple_of_fertility_temple or building_present_min_level temple_of_forge temple_of_forge_temple or building_present_min_level temple_of_fun temple_of_fun_temple or building_present_min_level temple_of_governors temple_of_governors_temple { capability { ; GREEKS - Regional Festival ; SABYN - Pilgrimage happiness_bonus bonus 1 happiness_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { saba, } stage_races 1 requires factions { greek_cities, macedon, thrace, numidia, romans_julii, romans_brutii, carthage, romans_scipii, parthia, seleucid, egypt, } } construction 4 cost 4800 settlement_min large_city upgrades { greatfestival circus_maximus }
    So - the only discernible difference (for KH) is that games give you games and festivals give you races. Hmph. Still inconclusive. Is there a difference between those two, then? -/edit-
    Last edited by Nachtmeister; 07-18-2014 at 14:11.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yes, the +1 experience to recruited troops is massive. Combine with a Type II or Type IV government and you're churning out veterans with 2 chevrons right away.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Used to be that way now that you mention it (about the gov effects)... However, in my current campaign, gov experience bonuses are not present at all (for KH). Could also be that my game is broken - I have been running this system on it's current OS install and EB install since 2009... So the only thing that gives my troops exp bonuses is the gymnasion. It still has a significant impact even so.