Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arqes vs Musks?

Originally I thought the difference between the two was that musks could fire in the rain, but now I find that they can't. What's the diff?
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Musks are more accurate, greater range, faster rate of fire, cost 75 koku more (hehe) but last but of course not least they give a much greater morale penalty to the enemy.

Arqs can be useful for those players that spend the least penny...

But essentially if you want to put it short and sweet...arqs such...musks don't

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 05-09-2001).]

Ah.
    well-rounded.

Correction: Arq suck wjile musks rule escept in rain and snow :P

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://darksideclan.fateback.com
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

But, the Arquebus is larger and heavier than muskets. Thus, when the weather outside if frightful, they are more effective than muskets when used as clubs against an unsuspecting enemy.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

They fight with katanas. also the extra weight makes arq tired more easily :P

------------------
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

arques are almost worthless. if you can, just stay away from them. i played a game against a fellow using them once and i dont think he got more than about one kill with them. they really are worthless.

K.

Musks are definitely better. More kills and definitely reduces the enemy morale quicker (More kills)

------------------
    The only thing you have to regret are the chances not taken.
    Expect the unexpected and take in air.
    The only thing you have to regret are the chances not taken.
    Expect the unexpected and take in air.

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Actually theForce, they don't fight with Katanas. The katana is reserved exclusively to the Samurai ranks. Arque's and Musk's fight with the Wakizashi which is the short sword in the Daisho pair that a Samurai wore.

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

couldn't see from that height man :P
    Well it's a sword though and not a gun.

------------------
    Enter the Darkside...

1) I thought that Teppo didn't have anything except their guns (they are, after all, pleb's) - if I was a Taisho, I wouldn't spend money giving sharp metal implements to mules.... - my guys depend on the good ol' clubemroundtheheadwiththebigbluntobject method.

2) arqu's aren't useless, they're just not as good. Use them in low koku battles, and they're just fine, as long as you protect them diligently.

Kyodaispan
    All Honour to the Brothers!

I can't believe what I am reading here! Arquebusiers are the MOST versatile unit of all the STW units! Hands down!

1. They are fast, fast, fast!

2. They shoot guns! Do you see anyone shooting arrows nowadays? 'Nuff said...

3. They are cheap, cheap, cheap!

4. Because of #3, you can jack up their honor to insane heights!

5. Their large, unwieldly weapons are counted as an armor bonus, since their size blocks enemy missles as a shield would (little known fact).

6. Their large, unwieldly weapons are very heavy (as some one diligently mentioned above), thus requiring fewer strokes to place a kill, which translates into a higher attack rating.

7. With sound tactics, they can even beat high-honor monks in H2H combat in a downpoar!

8. Because of #3, if they die, you lose no sleep over their departure from this world. Thus, you can devise more pure tactics without the concerns of force preservation weighing on your mind.

9. They make GREAT fodder... just dump them into the meatgrinder, and use your more expensive, pansie units to seal the win. Thus, consider your arqs as the 'special forces' or 'elite corps' of your army.

very good points, vanya, cept you missed one thing...they cant hit squat! least that's been my experience in using them and in having them used against me.

K.

Arq's r just as acurate if not more acurate when in close range. Try this when an enemy is charging u with lets say H2 YS & u have a unit of H3 arq's keep your arq's on hold fire in rows of 3 wait till the YS r within 2 rounds worth of distance & then fire. Personally I have cn them drop way more then the muskets that where beside them. they r just as effective up close. try & position them on a hill so their range of fire is further, the morale penalty up close 4 arq gunfire is better then muskets from what i've cn & read. I love 2 use them against nag's as the nags can't catch them u need them with decent honor 4 the best results

DG: Stop drinking.

I may be dumb, (reference to earlier rant) but I can't seem to get onto multiplayer. I go to multiplayer in the list, say EAplay register, I register, it says I've registered, and then when I try to log in, it says "failed to connect" or some such. Any help?
    well-rounded.

hey alastair
    Check Erado_san's tech dojo.....a wealth of info there. If he can't help ye mail me your
    pc spec's 7 i'll c what I can do! I'd need 2 know if u r behind a firewall, r u registered properly with ea, your modem, latest drivers 4 your modem etc
    darntoothin@hotmail.com

more then likely its an easy prob that can be resolved with a bit of input from other people!
    Oh yeah & have u ever played online or been able 2 play online?

& I make more sense when i'm drunk!
    anywayz

[This message has been edited by Drunkin General (edited 05-11-2001).]

Make sure u follow these steps!
    Well if u r on a dial up anyway
    be4 u start the game connect 2 your ISP(always do it be4 because most ISP's can vary the speed u connect @ & if u don't c the speed u connect @ u could be tryin 2 play a game with the same speed as a 33.6k modem(ridiculus)) After doing this I always ping around 2 make sure I have the usual ping mines 241 4 cnet.com & cnn.com and I use that as reference if its higher than that I normally reconnect(i'm a fussy bastard) but u probably aren't runnin win2k so the last bit dosen't matter really - anywayz follow these steps
    Go2 multiplayer....make sure that the use current connection box is ticked(its on the bottom of the parchment & thanks V1.12patch) then go2 play on EA
    make sure you have the right family name in, username & password.
    if this dosen't work drop me a mail & i'll run through a few things u can try

Was that in code?
    well-rounded.

alastair,

i speak gibberish fluently. made perfect sense to me...go brush up ;)

i was just curious as to how the thread suddenly changed there.

K.

If you are using arqs for their sheer firepower, you are missing their greatest untapped strength: their H2H abilities!

I have won many a campaign -- even as Shimazu vs the indomitable Hojo Horde -- using nothing but legendary-armored, legendary-weaponed highest honor ashigaru and arquebusiers. Sure, I had to make do with other lesser units until the papists arrive, but once they arrive, the rest does garrison duty while the big boys go out and smash the enemies with their big, bulky arquebuses. I usually just sit in Kyushu building stuff until I get these units. Though geishas usually run amok because of that, I sleep well at night knowing they spent their entire lives training -- just to go out and waste their talents on a hapless peasant with a club in his hand and a metal plate on his chest.

But in MP I cant add armor... so just you wait 'till the expansion comes out... then you will know the true papist terror as the fields of Japan are swallowed by swarms of fickle arquebusiers in hot metal suits looking for someone to lynch during the dog days of summer! YEEHAA!

ok vanya's points are right but i think that arqs still win the 'suckiest unit' after all.

But I like people who think positive.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

My only question is, why doesn't DG speak English here at the Org, since English is the dominant language here, not gibberish.
    well-rounded.

Quote Originally posted by Vanya:
    I can't believe what I am reading here! Arquebusiers are the MOST versatile unit of all the STW units! Hands down!

1. They are fast, fast, fast!

2. They shoot guns! Do you see anyone shooting arrows nowadays? 'Nuff said...

3. They are cheap, cheap, cheap!

4. Because of #3, you can jack up their honor to insane heights!

5. Their large, unwieldly weapons are counted as an armor bonus, since their size blocks enemy missles as a shield would (little known fact).

6. Their large, unwieldly weapons are very heavy (as some one diligently mentioned above), thus requiring fewer strokes to place a kill, which translates into a higher attack rating.

7. With sound tactics, they can even beat high-honor monks in H2H combat in a downpoar!

8. Because of #3, if they die, you lose no sleep over their departure from this world. Thus, you can devise more pure tactics without the concerns of force preservation weighing on your mind.

9. They make GREAT fodder... just dump them into the meatgrinder, and use your more expensive, pansie units to seal the win. Thus, consider your arqs as the 'special forces' or 'elite corps' of your army.

[/QUOTE]

you have got to be kidding!
    once it rains the units are nothing more then pin cushions! I can't even get them to use one sword when the guns stop shooting!

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Gibberish eh?
    I don't even remember doing those replies.....damn u mid week boozin sessions!

Arqs will be more worthwhile in the MP campaign (whenever that comes out). Maybe in SP battles on Totomi they have little worth, but get some varied terrain (hills, bridges) that you will have to fight for in the MP campaign and I think you will see more of a benefit from arqs. Also, with the aggressiveness of human players, I don't see MP campaigns lasting long enough to see muskets.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

They should probably include an option to shorten the times for muskets and arqs.
    well-rounded.

Well, given that you will be able to start a campaign at different points during the Sengoku, I would think at least one of them would already have the benefit of the cowardly western weapons havin been proliferated by the peace-loving brothers from afar.

he he

Brown Wolfe: Did you miss out on 'Hellraiser'? Pincushions in your army can turn the tide of battle to your favor...

No, historically, the Portugese came at the time they do in the game (I'm 95% sure on this), but I was saying, that for gameplay purposes, you should be able to shorten the time so that they can be included in the MP game.
    well-rounded.

You may have missed it, but Vanya made an excellent point. With the expansion pack you can start a campaign at three different years. So you just play a campaign that starts after guns were introduced.

------------------
    Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast