Thread: Magic?

Default Magic?

Please forgive me if this is sopmewhere and I didnt dig it out....but will there be magic? If so how do you implement it?
    Thx really looking forward to this.
    :)

Default Re: Magic?

Greetings Dimeolas!

I haven't gone into much detail on the magic, because it's such a huge part of the mod I'll be more precise in the Conan: Total War thread, but I've scattered a few bits & pieces:

Magic in Conan: Total War will be implemented in a number of forms: some battlefield units, ancillaries, traits, buildings, campaign actions, and a few other ways. Among most nations, magic is rare and extremely powerful, but some nations like Stygia, Zamora and the Picts have made an art from its use in warfare. Just about every faction can research and upgrade their magic to rival the other magical powers, but for the Mitra and Ishtar-worshipping Hyborian nations, this would mean making pacts with the dark gods leading to resentment and turmoil in the land. The mightiest magic has a high blood cost, even for those factions that worship the dark gods: death, blood and suffering and the materials the old magic uses as a platform.

The best factions to play for a magical experience (heh heh heh) would be Stygia, Zamora, the Picts and one of the secret factions I haven't revealed yet: they start the game with sorcerers, temples and options on the campaign map which are necessary for magic. Hyperborea, Koth, Pelishtia and Kush don't start off with access to war magic, but their "magic tree" (as opposed to tech tree) is easier to advance in than other factions. The only factions which cannot use magic in any circumstances whatsoever are the Cimmerians, AEsir and Vanir: as deeply superstitious people they tend to have nothing to do with the supernatural.

Although magic is a powerful tool, it is not the main one used to conquer. Even the Stygians prefer to use their armies before their magic, only daring to use it when faced with rival power or overwhelming odds. When a faction's magic is sufficiently advanced, however... well, then it ceases to be a tool, and becomes a different level of reality, one that no earthly force could counter.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

What I love aout Taranaich is that you can ask him any question about the mod and he'll come back with a logical, playable, exciting, and authentic response, always grounded in the original REH stories, but also focusing on providing unique and challenging gameplay -- in what other mod could you field an ancient Greek phalanx against a medieval Crusader army?

Awhile back I made an off-handed remark about elephants, and he responded with a thousand word essay charting out the various giant prehistoric monstrosities that would populate Hyboria, which factions would make use of them, and how many poor bastages they would trample on the field of battle. This guy knows his stuff.

And when he says this --

When a faction's magic is sufficiently advanced, however... well, then it ceases to be a tool, and becomes a different level of reality, one that no earthly force could counter.
    -- well that's an invitation to play a Stygian campaign if I ever heard one...

For several years I played a pbm game called hyborian wars from rsi in Tempe az......excellent. but I had always wondered what it would be like to play in the tw series type game. Not only was the west fun but Turan rocked, Iranistan was fun too.

Thanks for the vote of confidence CF!

Not only was the west fun but Turan rocked, Iranistan was fun too.
    While the map is concentrating on the Hyborian nations, I'm not going to ignore the east and south of the map. Iranistan won't be playable in the first release, it is represented by the "Free Easterners" faction: it will also be represented with a few mercenaries and rebels. Turan and the Hyrkanians are still playable, as well as a secret faction which can be found in the east.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Looking forward to Turan then. A nice well balanced military.......I remember fighting the desert tribes to the sw, made a treaty with Khauran and we secured the desert and I turned east to shatter Iranistan and Vendhya. Khauran could fight on several fronts but smarter to just fight on one and in that case very powerfull. Sounds like you`re doing a fantastic job, kudos.

Cherryfunk in your last post, is that a pic of a city from this mod? and if so what Faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeolas View Post
    Looking forward to Turan then. A nice well balanced military.......I remember fighting the desert tribes to the sw, made a treaty with Khauran and we secured the desert and I turned east to shatter Iranistan and Vendhya. Khauran could fight on several fronts but smarter to just fight on one and in that case very powerfull. Sounds like you`re doing a fantastic job, kudos.
    Cheers, sounds about right for the campaign: Turan still has tough opposition in the south and east with the Free Easterners representing Iranistan, Ghulistan, the Golden Kingdoms and a few other kingdoms to deal with, to say nothing of the Hyrkanians...

Quote Originally Posted by born2dive67
    Cherryfunk in your last post, is that a pic of a city from this mod? and if so what Faction?
    That would be Karnath in Stygia. Originally Khemi, but it isn't quite grand or large enough.

This mod now is - officially - another reason for me to buy a new PC , the other being EB2 .

I WILL wait forever , you have inspired us sir , I wish you the best so as not to give up before completion of this superb ( idea for a ) mod .

Satyros
    Smell the battle in the wind, before you see us.Winterhorde of furyride, the wind will lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyros View Post
    This mod now is - officially - another reason for me to buy a new PC , the other being EB2 .

I WILL wait forever , you have inspired us sir , I wish you the best so as not to give up before completion of this superb ( idea for a ) mod .

Satyros
    I completely agree with this guy. This mod is one of the most promising I've ever seen!
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Well, hopefully it won't disappoint!

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich View Post
    Well, hopefully it won't disappoint!
    There's no one I'd rather have in charge of Conan: Total War than you!
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Agreed. As a new proud owner of the Centenary edition of "The Complete Chronicles of Conan" (2006 edition), I am more than happy to be able to have all the stories in one book. Anything this one is missing?

If you do have some time, people, take the time to find and read through the quotes that T. has in any unit depicted so far ingame. It really will show you the depth of research and thought that has gone into each and any of those units.

You like EB? Buy CA games.