Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many DMB slots are available in M2TW?

Default Re: How many DMB slots are available in M2TW?

If there no such legislation in the country that its made its not illegal...besides its all technicalities...EB1 is illegal on paper and its clearly in EULA...so lets talk reality...
    No, it's not. The EB team merely changes the data files, without overriding the .exe, and subsequently distributes the data files over the internet. Even though you can download EB, you'd still need RTW to be able to play it, so EB violates no rules here.

If there no such legislation in the country that its made its not illegal
    I don't know where CA is located (I believe England), and I am an unsure on the rules there, but the license agreement still states that the altering of .exe files is illegal, and EB does not do that. They do not state that the altering of the data files is illegal, otherwise EB (and a whole lot of other mods) would have gotten a cease-and-desist by now.
    This space intentionally left blank.

However all copyright for what we do belongs to CA or Sega, or whoever.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: How many DMB slots are available in M2TW?

Whether or not EB is illegal, it's extremely unlikely that SEGA will sue. However, if you start to alter their core engine, they may well decide to take legal action.

Also, even in the unlikely case that SEGA/CA would give EB permission to alter and distribute RTW.exe, it still wouldn't be easy to improve on it. First EB needs to recruit a team of skilled programmers, then these would need to figure out how the .exe works, and then they would have to think of a way to improve it. And I doubt any improvements can be made without substantially redesigning it, which would take months. It might actually be easier to create an all new game.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Read your manual of RTW:
    "License conditions:
    You shall not

Clause 7: Reverse engineer, derive source code, MODIFY, DECOMPILE (unpacker?), DISASSEMBLE, OR CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS of this program IN WHOLE OR PART. "
    So EB and any mod is under TOLERANCE of CA and as result SEGA.....THUS legally they can easily SUE....
    So as along as one doesnt hit them on their wound (piracy exe cr**cking etc) and doesnt lose them potential cash they would tolerate an exe alteration...
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Read it again.

program in whole or part
    So as along as one doesnt hit them on their wound (piracy exe cr**cking etc) and doesnt lose them potential cash they would tolerate an exe alteration...
    Funny thing is, exe alterations are cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Read it again.

Agreed, but I believe hellenes' point was that such a crack, if not of malign intent or effect as in "you still can't use it to play if you don't buy the original RTW-game from CA/SEGA" could possibly be tolerated.
    My personal opinion on this is - I doubt they would be happy about it and might indeed make it a "cease and desist". There's this beautiful quotation on one of the EB load-screens "Tolerate one infraction and you encourage many to follow it" or something like that fitting to this.
    Unless of course it were done after they actually give their consent. Which would require that someone who can speak for EB would ask them, but Foot and Ludens both said that there are not enough programmers on the EB team for this kind of thing anyway...
    Feels a bit like running in "argumentative circles" here.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Agreed, but I believe hellenes' point was that such a crack, if not of malign intent or effect as in "you still can't use it to play if you don't buy the original RTW-game from CA/SEGA" could possibly be tolerated.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Read it again.

Any way to MODIFY ( a MOD!!!) part or whole....thats NOT just the exe...ANY PART...
    So Activision (and SEGA for M2TWK) CAN SUE....
    Exe alterations are cracks if they CIRCUMVENT THE COPY PORTECTION.....as a NOCD....
    Its all up to SEGA's tolerance...thus its up to them and not us discussing such matters here...
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

1) Dude, there's this button called Caps Lock. Try pressing it now and then.

2) You didn't read what I stated. The program, not the data files. From Wikipedia:

Computer programs (also software programs, or just programs) are instructions for a computer. A computer requires programs to function. Moreover, a computer program does not run unless its instructions are executed by a central processor; however, a program may communicate an algorithm to people without running. Computer programs are usually executable programs or the source codefrom which executable programs are derived (e.g., compilded).

Yeah, we're talking about the source code here and executable programs here, not the data files (which are nothing more than the stuff that is being read by the source code.

The whole point is moot because its very doubtful they would tolerate an alteration of the exe in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmeister View Post
    Agreed, but I believe hellenes' point was that such a crack, if not of malign intent or effect as in "you still can't use it to play if you don't buy the original RTW-game from CA/SEGA" could possibly be tolerated
    So we should bank on that (silly, IMO) assumption.

Edit- I think SEGA/CA doesn't want people mucking around in their code and figuring anything out about it. It's a trade secret after all.
    Last edited by lobf; 09-23-2008 at 02:21.

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    So we should bank on that (silly, IMO) assumption.

Edit- I think SEGA/CA doesn't want people mucking around in their code and figuring anything out about it. It's a trade secret after all.
    My point was not that (if I got the phrase "bank on that ... assumption" right) we should "bank on" anything - the point was that there is no point...
    Unless someone representing the EB team talks to whoever has the legal rights to Me2TW this discussion has no basis and as the EB team would apparently have no use even for explicit permission to alter the .exe as there are not enough people available to do the altering, there is no point in sending someone to ask either...
    But you are probably right about the likely result of a proposition to SEGA/CA anyway. Perhaps possible in a few years when "Space Total War - Part IV" is their new bestseller, but not while the engine is still something unique and their mainstay Goldesel.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmeister View Post
    Perhaps possible in a few years when "Space Total War - Part IV" is their new bestseller, but not while the engine is still something unique and their mainstay Goldesel.
    Exactly. Especially considering that M2TW apparently uses the same code as RTW. We won't likely see that kind of permission in the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    Exactly. Especially considering that M2TW apparently uses the same code as RTW. We won't likely see that kind of permission in the next decade.
    Yep... *mourn*
    I don't know how long it took for id to give their Quake engines away (afaik QI-III are open source now) but if they actually are using the basic design of BI for Me2TW it might take longer - and that's only if SEGA has a similarly benevolent "ideology"...

i think people are overlooking the fact that CA/SEGA are very supportive of people modding TW games...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Hello World
    I do not believe to be sure I understood well.
    In MTW2 can bring unity to 240 men by changing the number in export_units from 60 to 75?

Whereas in RTW is not possible in any way increase the number over 240 units?

Someone could clarify a little?
    Thanks hello

I believe the Kingdoms limit is 250.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12