Poll: is this a good idea?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: 6 months later...

The Saucer Child Member The Receptionist's Avatar

Default 6 months later...

in february 2008 some patrons asked when would we see a release,
    a genuine answer was not forthcoming,

IF this is stalled and/or not going to be released in complete form then upload what you have done so far and invite members of the community to continue the work.

perhaps upload in parcels/chunks, IE: buildings artwork, unit artwork, map, etc etc
    so that people may pick a section and work on it?

there has been so much done so far that it would be terrible to let all your hard work and effort go to waste.
    The Saucer Child
    Glory to the black dancing elephant

...now where did i park my saucer...

Default Re: 6 months later...

Did we stated somewhere that the mod won't be released ?
    Did we stated somewhere that there was no more workers on the mod ?

I don't remember any other answers than : NO.

For the remainder, here's my answer from two weeks ago :

Quote Originally Posted by Seijitai View Post
    As I stated it a few times (and I'm tired to do so...), Ran no Jidai will be released because there is a few persons working on it who want to have it released.

When ? I don't know. When it will be finished... We work when we can, when we want, and with only a few helpful hands...

If some people say we are too slow, they can join and help...
    They can't because they don't know anything in modding ?
    Tell them to do what I did, read tutorials and learn, then head back and join...
    So wanna join ???
    Forgive my english, didn't practice for years !

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=120

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

i see nothing in TR's post that is rude,

MTW Samurai Warlords is a ways from being finished,
    yet there have been several beta releases to allow people to observe, interact and suggest,
    and many good things have come from people "just passing through".

ownership has actually passed through three sets of hands during it's developement,
    right now the mod is community based, with several people working more or less independently becasuse they know what needs doing.
    I am making unit, R'as is collating a whole swag of user contributed updates, while Puzz is making maps , as are (seperately) Orda, Jochi and compatriots.

how can people help you guys when they have no idea where you guys are at or what still needs doing, eh?
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Never said it was rude... I just don't see the point of this thread... If this forum had been fully inactive for the past six months, with every modder stating "I quit" I would have understood... But the last "progress report" was done here :

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=104814

Around two weeks ago... And on the same thread, I state what kind of help should benefits the mod :

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...1&postcount=18

So, honestly, and sorry if I sound rude as it's not what I'm aiming for, but I quite don't see the point of this...

In case the mod would die. Im sure that the parts completed would be released to the public. But i repeat. work is done and since the team has worked already for long time, the first version released wont be a partially finished mod, but a full mod, which might be then updated with additional features. I am happy to see that there is interest in helping the team to achieve that and i thank all the fans for it.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can help with information wise, since I became very intersted in Japenese History since I'm in Kage's IH. Modding Wise, I will have to go to the tutorials, and will come back when I can Mod :-).

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Receptionist View Post
    perhaps upload in parcels/chunks, IE: buildings artwork, unit artwork, map, etc etc
    so that people may pick a section and work on it?
    As someone who has worked on a total conversion mod single-handedly for most of 3 years, I can say that this idea does not work. Oh yes, you'd see a ton of people clamoring "I'll help! I can do it!" but really, you'd get lucky if 1 person out of a 100 actually stick around and help for the long haul (and I did get one! But only 1 during 3 years!). Let me clarify the example: the part I needed help is not even that hard. I needed help fixing my grammar mistakes in the unit descriptions and maybe some sugar-coating on the sentences to make it more authentic sounding. I've had almost a dozen volunteers at different times. The most one of them ever did was 10 entries. 10 out of 200. It's a part of modding that doesn't require any modding skill at all, only the diligence and persistence of writing 200 entries (which I did). Not many people got the stomach to do these kinds of tasks, with the less glamor (aka. no fans will e-worship you because of snazzy sentences like they'd do to unit models).

Your best bet is do a recruiting/help drive. Make a detailed post on the big forums, as in this one and TWC, about the condition of the mod, and what parts you still need help at. Do it with snazzy graphics. What you want is not to get new modders, but old ones who has a little spare time to help with something. I know old modders like me would hate to see mods like this get pushed down into obscurity. But that will only happen if no one is constantly pushing the whole thing forward.

Heck, if you actually need help with unit models, either modeling or UV mapping, I can spare some time to help.

Just to follow Wlesmana's comment, since I'm in the team, I recruited 15 workers... Around 20, if I count the ones that directly contacted Kagemusha... And how many really worked for the mod ? About a third... And I deeply thanks each one of them...

Blog Entries

also if this mod dies i will hunt down every member and murder them...hows tht for motavation lol

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Your efforts and energy would be better spent into learning to mod and helping the team to complete the mod.

Blog Entries

it would... i did try adding regions once and failed, im a useless artist, not so great with computers, i dont even no wht scripting involves...(although if ifs easy i could write stuff in lol), but generally speaking im better at making death threats (i was joking by the way...)

Aries and all be ready for an update.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    In case the mod would die. Im sure that the parts completed would be released to the public. But i repeat. work is done and since the team has worked already for long time, the first version released wont be a partially finished mod, but a full mod, which might be then updated with additional features. I am happy to see that there is interest in helping the team to achieve that and i thank all the fans for it.
    Well, WHEN this mod gets release, I'm sure it'll make big waves. Not as big as EBII mind you but BIG.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009