Thread: New to EB: Kudos to the EB team...

Default New to EB: Kudos to the EB team...

Just a quick personal note.

I visited Sardegna (Sardinia) this summer, about two months ago. My girlfriend is originally from Sassari, in the north part of the island, and we visited all of Sardegna (as well as Rome). I have always taken special interest in conquering the island in R:TW.

Well, I just installed EB v1.1 and started playing as the Romani. Very impressed with all of the changes to the game; it really stretches out R:TW's wings. This is my first mod, and I'm blown away by the scope of the changes. Kudos to the EB team, and to TCA for making the game this moddable in the first place.

And then I looked inside Karali. And saw the Nuraghi.

When I was in Sardegna, I visited both Cagliari (the successor name to Karali/Caralis) and the Nuraghi in Barumini (the UNESCO World Heritage site). You can see Nuraghi all over the island -- even one on my girlfriend's grandparents' land. At Barumini, I took the guided tour, and got all of the history, which perfectly matches the narrative in EB describing the Nuraghi.

Needless to say, apart from the obvious improvements in the gaming functionality, this attention to detail and inclusion of a historical artifact I have actually seen and experienced has made EB even more exciting to play. I'm already plotting to claim what is "rightfully ours" -- those Nuraghi in Sardinia.

So, again, kudos.

Default Re: New to EB: Kudos to the EB team...

Bringing fire and sword to your girlfriend's island?
    Anyhow, welcome to the mod and the forums!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Oh, you think you are astonished yet? Just play some campaigns, it will take a VERY VERY long time until you stop discovering new stuff, new history details on sites, persons etc.

I play EB only since the late days of 0.8, but still, there is just such an incredible amount of stuff packed into this...and the only reason there isn't more is because the RTW engine simply can't handle more and would suffocate if any more would be in there...

Wargamer-Project - Kampagne IX

yeah... they really took RTW and made it into all it could be... Historically, physically...

for crying out loud, it's the first trime i've ever actualkly 'felt there' in an RTS / Turn-based RTS... very great work, this.

and when you change sides after your current campaign, the game will change with you...

Yeah, I can't wait to give Hayasdan, Saba, Saka Rauka a crack. I've explored most of the world with spies, the map is very rich.

if you wanted to look at the entire map you could just click ~ then type in toggle_fow ......

Wow everybody here so far that posted has the same avatar.

Except me of course.

Also EB: The Borg, to be honest.

Thumbs up Re: New to EB: Kudos to the EB team...

Quote Originally Posted by Rilder
    Wow everybody here so far that posted has the same avatar.

Except me of course.
    Indeed. And me, too.

On a sidenote, you guys should all join the EB interactive campaign. It should most successfully bring a whole new experience for classic EB players. Check it out (sign up, Rilder!).

Anyways, keep in mind that if you don't sign up volountarily, you will be drafted.

Glad you're enjoying EB, theGlobalizer. May it bring you utter joy and possible salvation for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by mp0925 View Post
    if you wanted to look at the entire map you could just click ~ then type in toggle_fow ......
    Nah, I'm one of those silly people who still likes to slowly uncover the goodies and figure stuff out as I go.

I haven't looked at the reform prerequisites, either. It's giving me fits, not being able to train real armies in half of my cities, but it's fun that way. Well, except for those 10 minutes spent being routed by a full stack of rebels with a 10-star general. :-P

the rebels are a pain early on...

give it time, then when you are strong, you can deal with them... I usually start by building my econ...

Yeah, it's getting easier now. I still take some big hits, and the inability to retrain effectively is a complication.

It all makes the game more challenging, and thereby, more fun.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

its hard to keep up when everyone uses the same avatar heheh
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Good call. Changed, in honor of a particularly great general in my last pre-EB Germania campaign. (Lived into his 90s, conquered most of Eastern Europe.)

Thumbs up Re: New to EB: Kudos to the EB team...

Wow. To be honest, none of my generals barely ever get to their eighties. Assuming they didn't die in battle during the compulsory decade of military service from their coming-of-age to their 30's.

I prefer to use older generals in combat. I leave the young ones home to breed.
    Last edited by TheGlobalizer; 08-18-2008 at 16:33.

I usually go the other way around. The old ones are kept in reserve in case a crisis should loom, while the younger ones get some experience. Such crisis can of course come around by said younglings failing in a battle, but it rarely happens.

Of course, as Saka you pretty much need all the FMs you can muster in each battle, and only one or two stay at home during a raid.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking