Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Default Re: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    If it had been 2002 it would have been a different tune I'm sure.
    There is absolutely no doubt that Redux would have been equal to MTW XL in terms of popularity, if it were around in 2002-2004. In fact, many people don't appreciate that this mod changes a lot of stuff - graphics, sound and game play alike. I know, I've looked through the files.

Timing is everything, and it's a big reason why I'm not doing any public modding. There's just so little real demand compared to the avalanche of stuff being offered for a title like RTW, and I don't feel like developing a mod with just 1-3 people interested in giving input (besides the fact that a large group actively playing can give much faster play balance suggestions).

That's what you get, Axalon, for stubbornly refusing to abandon this "lame grafix" and "old" little game

Hej Dura, alltid trevligt när du hälsar på här… (Hi Durango, nice to see you here again)

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    There is absolutely no doubt that Redux would have been equal to MTW XL in terms of popularity, if it were around in 2002-2004. In fact, many people don't appreciate that this mod changes a lot of stuff - graphics, sound and game play alike. I know, I've looked through the files.
    Obviously, we will never know for sure but I am with you. In those days people were virtually screaming for more or less everything that Redux has to offer. That said, Redux is also in many ways the result of evolution, and that would not be possible without the groundwork done by the pioneers during that period – most of which are listed in Redux-credits since day 1.

And, yes people do seem to be reluctant to acknowledge the actual extent of RXB1xxx-releases. I agree. I really don’t know why, actually. Any ideas? Anybody?

Timing is everything, and it's a big reason why I'm not doing any public modding. There's just so little real demand compared to the avalanche of stuff being offered for a title like RTW, and I don't feel like developing a mod with just 1-3 people interested in giving input (besides the fact that a large group actively playing can give much faster play balance suggestions).
    Yup, timing sure is important. I can totally relate to what you are saying, and fully agreed (I acted differently for other reasons). I have been struggling with that problem ever since Redux was released for the first time. And, let me tell you that it is their loss (read the community) that you don’t do more public MTW-stuff as you are both serious and talented in your work. If people are too lame or stupid to realize that – screw them! Screw ‘em all! You can quote me on that, any day.

Anyways, the few that do show up (read post) and are truly interested and/or supportive somehow (obviously, that exclude the fakers) – they are the real community. Those are the ones worth their salt – the rest, well… Let’s just say, that I have little regard for them.

That's what you get, Axalon, for stubbornly refusing to abandon this "lame grafix" and "old" little game
    Yeah, I am guilty of that…

I have played or worked on this damn game for almost 10 years now, this regardless of the whims of the majority. I know it better then most, and to me it is a flawed screwed up mess – but – it is a “flawed screwed up mess” with a lot of potential to be great (like STW1) despite all things. And, that is what I am in business for, sorting things out, reworking and re-designing things, making it work properly, and slap some make-up/cosmetics on it so looks a little better and sexier etc. etc. Obviously not all are fully possible due to hardcoding, but I would say the very much in MTW is possible to improve upon for the better. AI, troops, tech-tress, stratmap-designs, faction-designs, game pacing, textures, trade, prices, cash etc. etc. etc. You name it; usually it can be improved upon somehow. And that is what I do and what Redux is all about.

…The hard part is not creating something somehow better or tougher then raw MTW – that has been done, and that long time ago - that is not the trick. The hard part is to make ALL things work properly and efficiently by itself and in combination with all the other parts - at the same time and whatever it may be. Making all things fit together and function properly, so it all (as whole) can create and provide a great and different experience – as game (each time). That is the hard part, and that is what Redux is about. Quality in each part to ensure quality in the overall game-experience. Something varied, interesting, exiting and uncertain – as a game should be.

Now, if people are either too fancy or stupid to at least examine that alternative – then I am hardly to blame for it, now am I?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-19-2012 at 04:10. Reason: didly-doo...

Alright, some happier news. For all "reduxians" out there, new and old....

The following changes are to be expected with RXB1003....

• Windows 7 officially supported.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Burgundy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, France.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Papacy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Portugal.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Russia.
    • Upgrades on GFX, units (minor)
    • Upgrades on GFX, Peasant BIF-plate (minor).
    • Upgrades on GFX, models (for improved experience with W7)
    • Upgrades on GFX, interface & icons (various).
    • Upgrades on GFX, frontend and loadingscreen
    • Upgrades on GFX, various models and textures
    • Campaign/stratmap-texture upgraded.
    • All princess portraits (Catholic, Orthodox and pagan) upgraded to the “2012-paradigm”.
    • Upgrades on “battle-animations”, Dragon Order Knights, Russian Boyars, Slavic Horse Archers, English-, Spanish-, Frankish- and Papal Knights.
    • Russia will be unlocked and be fully playable as an optional faction (officially).
    • Spies returns to Redux, now available via the chancellery-building. “Travellers” are out - the engine could not handle it properly....
    • Minor adjustments on unit-roster.
    • Minor adjustments on buildings/tech-roster.
    • European-editions compatible, French/German/Italian/Spanish-editions. (In English)
    • A few minor bugs and errors killed.
    • Scotish Nobles get their shields.
    • ?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-20-2012 at 05:18. Reason: update...

Hej Dura, alltid trevligt när du hälsar på här… (Hi Durango, nice to see you here again)
    The pleasure is all mine.

And, yes people do seem to be reluctant to acknowledge the actual extent of RXB1xxx-releases. I agree. I really don’t why, actually. Any ideas? Anybody?
    Well, us being modders probably has something to do with it. How many people actually "open" the game and peek inside? I always do it, and have always done it. But many are just happy to enjoy the game as provided by you, and trust your judgement and taste. Seeing as hundreds (if not thousands) of people have played Redux to this day without critically inspecting it reflects favourably upon you, I think.

Yup, timing sure is important. I can totally relate to what you are saying, and fully agreed (I acted differently for other reasons). I have been struggling with that problem ever since Redux was released for the first time. And, let me tell you that it is their loss (read the community) that you don’t do more public MTW-stuff as you are both serious and talented in your work. If people are too lame or stupid to realize that – screw them! Screw ‘em all! You can quote me on that, any day.
    Thanks, man! But regretfully I don't think there will be even home modding for me in the future - I suffered a disastrous hardware failure last friday, and all my MTW mod files are gone together with the game itself. And I have no backups... except for some art stuff and music.

Yeah, but back in the days I would've worked the full modding scene like a boss

I have played or worked on this damn game for almost 10 years now, this regardless of the whims of the majority. I know it better then most, and to me it is a flawed screwed up mess – but – it is a “flawed screwed up mess” with a lot of potential to be great (like STW1) despite all things. And, that is what I am in business for, sorting things out, reworking and re-designing things, making it work properly, and slap some make-up/cosmetics on it so looks a little better and sexier etc. etc. Obviously not all are fully possible due to hardcoding, but I would say the very much in MTW is possible to improve upon for the better. AI, troops, tech-tress, stratmap-designs, faction-designs, game pacing, textures, trade, prices, cash etc. etc. etc. You name it; usually it can be improved upon somehow. And that is what I do and what Redux is all about.
    10 years? Holy sweet jesus... no wonder you get a little annoyed at some people either not recognizing your efforts or stealing work without giving credit. You practically have a Ph.D. in Medieval: Total War-ology. Giving you the game's sourcecode someday would turn you into a full on recluse, I bet. You would emerge from a cave 25 years later with the perfect TW game.

What can I say? Keep it up. Polishing is what I too believe is important, and especially so with coherency in graphics and design - I admire the fact that you not only create new graphics to blend in with the originals, but also won't stop til all relevant files are replaced or added. Either it's all the portraits, or none.

That's what makes a mod feel "official".

…The hard part is not creating something somehow better or tougher then raw MTW – that has been done, and that long time ago - that is not the trick. The hard part is to make ALL things work properly and efficiently by itself and in combination with all the other parts - at the same time and whatever it may be. Making all things fit together and function properly, so it all (as whole) can create and provide a great and different experience – as game (each time). That is the hard part, and that is what Redux is about. Quality in each part to ensure quality in the overall game-experience. Something varied, interesting, exiting and uncertain – as a game should be.
    Let's drink to that!

...on second thought, we're Swedish, so let's drink anyway!

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

You practically have a Ph.D. in Medieval: Total War-ology.
    Dr Axalon, MTW!

Has a certain ring to it, no?
    Last edited by Trapped in Samsara; 04-17-2012 at 11:36.

Hi,

@Axalon: sorry for late report, but had corrupted downloads with the .rar-versions, the .zip-files worked then..

am some 300 years into a norse/standard/GA campaign, my all time favourites. nice you made them pagan, did that myself in one of my attempts to get some new spice into the game..

WOW! What a MOD. Completely new look´n feel, regionalized special troops, monstrous amounts of time and money needed to do my main thing, building up infrastructure in every province and so on...and those graphics, that´s really great work!!

Dear Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. MTW, THANKS for that!

one thingy is slightly annoying: the level of armour/weapon upgrades is very hard to recognize from the icons (I always retrain everyone if possible), but that´s till now the only little flaw in an excellent masterpiece of work. ah yes, and my blood warrior kings don´t get girls as kids, and no emissarys as the danes.. they always made diplomatic issues an issue of the axe:-)

Looking forward to discover more loads of new and interesting bits and pieces in a 10 year old game,

thankful greetings from Blackforest,

daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-18-2012 at 10:31.

Hi again,

just wanting to sum up a bit my experiences, took some time playing cos i´m exhausted from work yesterday....

Redux being the second MOD I´m playing I´ll stick to it.

Had some fun tonight - wanted to get rid of some heirs, sent them to Lithuania to get killed. Four units of Norse Bodyguards, put away in those nice little forests in Couronia and Lithuania. In about 10 battles those guys killed about 4000(!) Liths....

Had to rout them in the end to get rid of them....and still, running away, the four remaining Princelings(valour 9,10,10,11) killed some 200 LithCav! Had this kind of experience never before, not even with tanked up Huscarles :-)

those pirates - after fighting them off for about 150 years was fed up and invaded every reachable region in their hands and tore down everything to burned ground. Open trade routes now, no more disturbance of (hard needed) income.

AI - behaviour: As in vanilla, I´m tired of a 2star Admiral with two ships to sink my fleet of 6, led by a 5star Admiral. Quicksave, and if necessary quickload and re-fight.

Meanwhile it´s 970, the Portuguese own 1/4 of the map, the Russians another 1/4, the germans nearly that much and I´m sitting in Scandinavia, Britain incl. Scotland, and Couronia waiting for the others to attack :-) income beyond 8000 a year, an army

leveled up to highest armour/weapon/valour/morale upgrades available (every region gets up to the Great Temple anything I can build).

Gameplay: Hard, much harder than vanilla, though I autocalc the most battles due to old hardware (beyond about 2000 men on the battlefield it gets unplayable). No crash till now, no strange behaviour like freezing, everything smooth running.

Optics: My god, Axalon, you must be a painter-wizard of some sort. sure haven´t found all the new stuff, but from the Map to the Princess´ faces everything redone - new icons for tradeable goods and resources, all-new (and much more

beautiful) battlescreen animations, ships and all - okay, now I know why you´re somewhat late with REDUX :-)

Looking forward for: High-armour retrained Highland Clansmen to wipe out the desert nations - and putting those Russians at ease....

Busy greetings,

daigaku

Hi and thanks a bunch guys, however let’s just stick to “Axalon” shall we? Daigaku, I’ll do a separate post for you… Anyways….

Well, us being modders probably has something to do with it. How many people actually "open" the game and peek inside? I always do it, and have always done it. But many are just happy to enjoy the game as provided by you, and trust your judgement and taste. Seeing as hundreds (if not thousands) of people have played Redux to this day without critically inspecting it reflects favourably upon you, I think.
    Maybe… I think there are probably more then a 1000 players that have tried 2nd Ed (It had 3000+ downloads). As for the new betas I’m guessing roughly about 200-300 hundred people played some version of that (about 600-700 downloads, mostly RXB1002). Anyways, let’s hope you are right.

Thanks, man! But regretfully I don't think there will be even home modding for me in the future - I suffered a disastrous hardware failure last friday, and all my MTW mod files are gone together with the game itself. And I have no backups... except for some art stuff and music.
    That's tough...

or stealing work without giving credit.
    When you worked hard on something you get more then just annoyed when people are trying to steal your stuff. Besides, it is just so god damn poor style.

…won't stop til all relevant files are replaced or added. Either it's all the portraits, or none.
    Thanks a bunch... I can tell you, working on portraits is very tough. Especially all female-stuff, as those are always the ones that are first (and most) put under scrutiny. Always. I think the original game got 200 of them (VI put in some 60 extra), I have included 160 (fairly unique) portraits for RXB1003 and easily discarded another 50-60 as they were not good, solid or distinct enough. Females are usually the ones that take the most time and work, for me anyways. I created a new “paradigm” (essentially template) for RXB1003 and hopefully that will do for a long time (time will tell). I think most of them are hot and vulgar enough and hopefully that will go for most other people as well. I must admit I have had my fair share of jokes at the expense on da poor girls (read princesses/portraits) found in RXB1003…

Anyways, I'll always have some Norse mead or Spanish wine ready here (and wenches!) - all honestly and properly plundered, of course...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-19-2012 at 13:28. Reason: clean up...

Daigaku… My thanks for you taking the time to report in here on various things and experiences. Stuff like that will eventually benefit Redux, one way or the other in the end. I appreciate it.

On a general note….
    ------------------------
    I have little intelligence on the last stages of Redux-gameplay on the RXB1xxx-releases (essentially AD 950 and owards). Perhaps you (or anybody else) could help me remedy that somewhat. This by doing a bunch of shoots on various pre-battlescreens (when the troops are displayed before battle, settling reinforces etc.) as you continue to fight various battles in the later stages of Redux - so I could have a closer look at how the AI is doing in army-composition, troops etc. etc. 5-6 of them would probably do the trick (more then that is a bonus). The enemy faction matters little, but it is better if there is at least 2 screens of various factions, and from separate battles….

To take screens…. Use the F2 button, and the resulting targa-pics are stored in the “TGAs”-folder within the game (and then you will have to convert that into JPEGs). The alternative is to press “printscreen”-button 5-6 times on each screen (just so you really get a screen-dump), then use “alt+escape” to get out of game and paste (ctrl+V) your screen dump onto a blank page in MS paint (found in assessoaries) – then save that, select JPEG-format. Then attach the results directly onto this thread or upload them somewhere (Image schack or whatever) and then link it to this thread somehow. That would really help to remedy things here. Usually I have policy of max 800x600 pixels in size but I think higher resolutions is better on this and I can later on put in the spoilers for you. This to bypass all the fuss larger pics creates. I would appreciate it. Either from you or somebody else (or both). Anyways….

Quote Originally Posted by daigaku View Post
    sorry for late report, but had corrupted downloads with the .rar-versions, the .zip-files worked then..
    I have downloaded and checked out the rar-uploads and they seemed to work just fine. Either you were extremely unlucky or you did something wrong. Anyways, you reporting that in are still appreciated here. I take such stuff very seriously.

norse/standard/GA campaign
    What size-settings did you go for?

one thingy is slightly annoying: the level of armour/weapon upgrades is very hard to recognize from the icons (I always retrain everyone if possible), but that´s till now the only little flaw in an excellent masterpiece of work.
    It is impossible for me to cater to everybodys preferences at all times. I understand what you mean, the black/red/blue and gold are obviously easier to spot, I agree. However, personally I thought they looked crappy in combinations (armour + weapon upgrades) and so I changed it to more “naturalistic” Black/Grey/lightgrey. Redux uses only 3 upgrades (like STW1, while MTW has the usual 4). I guess level 2 and 3 are indeed harder to distinguish – but that means that we must pay more attention as we scan the enemy’s formations – and I liked that aspect (essentially reflecting that it is harder to determine the actual level of armour and weapon upgrades in enemy formations, other then the obvious fact that they have them somehow. That sort of thing essentially). Anyways, I see no problem in you reverting to the old files if that is what you want. You simply replace the new ones with a set from the original game. The file is called “weapon_bonus.BIF” found in campmap-folder…

ah yes, and my blood warrior kings don´t get girls as kids,
    This is courtesy of the v.2.01-engine…. Hardcoded… If I could fix it somehow (at acceptable costs), I would. It works 100% on the v.1.1-engine, but that has other problems in turn….

and no emissarys as the danes.. they always made diplomatic issues an issue of the axe:-)
    True, and no spies either… I simply felt that it was not true to the Norse style so I removed them. It also provides different and distinct circumstances for that specific Norse-experience which is supposed to be different anyway. They simply have to solve some things differently as they are more limited in options on how to do some things. Obviously, as any faction they have weaknesses. That is part of their limitations. The druid however, can still be used as a peace-envoy or to broker alliances – if so desired. So, that possibility is still open to them. All the same - no bribes, no spies or trials etc. etc. etc. That simply was not Norse enough for me as I designed things here…

Had some fun tonight - wanted to get rid of some heirs, sent them to Lithuania to get killed. Four units of Norse Bodyguards, put away in those nice little forests in Couronia and Lithuania. In about 10 battles those guys killed about 4000(!) Liths....

Had to rout them in the end to get rid of them....and still, running away, the four remaining Princelings(valour 9,10,10,11) killed some 200 LithCav! Had this kind of experience never before, not even with tanked up Huscarles :-)
    Well… The Norse bodyguards are very tough in the first place. Only a few units can truly match them in close combat. I think more then anything it shows the price involved for using the wrong troops against them. It does not help to make them more mortal that they were princes either or that they had high levels of valor. If you want ‘em dead park them in front of some serious archers or better still crossbows – that will kill them (eventually). Their only 2-3 true weaknesses are arrows, cavalry-charges and speed…. As a final note on this - princes chances of survival are actually slightly greater on auto-resolves, they are more likely to die in live battles. For future reference….

those pirates - after fighting them off for about 150 years was fed up and invaded every reachable region in their hands and tore down everything to burned ground. Open trade routes now, no more disturbance of (hard needed) income.
    I would do the same thing myself in such circumstances…. Better still I would try to avoid those circumstances in the first place – however that can real hard at times… The problem being that we can’t do all things at the same time (there is usually not resources for it). We must set our priorities and act out of that. This usually means that there will be trouble in some other regard. Nowhere is this more true then in the beginning a campaign.

AI - behaviour: As in vanilla, I´m tired of a 2star Admiral with two ships to sink my fleet of 6, led by a 5star Admiral. Quicksave, and if necessary quickload and re-fight.
    This is courtesy of the engine and hardcoded as well (regardless of version)… Obviously I would change it if I could… But yeah, that is annoying…

Meanwhile it´s 970, the Portuguese own 1/4 of the map, the Russians another 1/4, the germans nearly that much and I´m sitting in Scandinavia, Britain incl. Scotland, and Couronia waiting for the others to attack :-) income beyond 8000 a year, an army
    leveled up to highest armour/weapon/valour/morale upgrades available (every region gets up to the Great Temple anything I can build).
    Well… They will attack as soon as they get enough “inviting and promising” chance for it. As long as you deny them that the chances for them attacking you are smaller. The AI is a coward, always were. If you want war, relax/weaken your border-garrisons and preferably in a rich province – they will attack there, once “convinced” they can get away with it. That’s my experience anyway… On the other hand, you too can start a war, you know…

You obviously do take advantage of the possibilities the Norse have in tech - as you should, as you should…

Gameplay: Hard, much harder than vanilla, though I autocalc the most battles due to old hardware (beyond about 2000 men on the battlefield it gets unplayable). No crash till now, no strange behaviour like freezing, everything smooth running.
    You do as you please, but I would in general suggest that you try to enjoy the battle-side of things as much as possible, after all, it is a big part of the experience.

Optics: My god, Axalon, you must be a painter-wizard of some sort. sure haven´t found all the new stuff, but from the Map to the Princess´ faces everything redone - new icons for tradeable goods and resources, all-new (and much more
    beautiful) battlescreen animations, ships and all - okay, now I know why you´re somewhat late with REDUX :-)
    I have worked very hard on this, I’m glad that it is appreciated by you and others. It warms my black 'ol warrior-heart…. Many thanks. I must admit that this post was a little too big - even by my standards... All the same, I do appreciate you reporting in your experiences and feedback here - hopefully there will be more such posts from you here.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-19-2012 at 13:44. Reason: clean up...

I autocalc the most battles due to old hardware (beyond about 2000 men on the battlefield it gets unplayable).
    How old is your hardware?

I had a similar problem, but cured it by reverting to an 'appropriate vintage' graphics driver. I have an ATI Radeon X800XT PE and was using Catalyst 9.3 and DirectX 9.0c. Replacing it with Catalyst 4.12 (which works with DirectX 8.1 that the game was designed for) sorted it for me. (I didn't have to change DirectX versions).

The issue was present with vanilla MTW, so I don't believe Redux places a substantially greater burden on resources. Now 4000 vs 4000 battles are a matter of tactics, not framerate.

Hi,

@ Axalon: Thanks for this fast reply, covering all my input.

Don´t know the mechanics of quoting, so I go ahead...

-Your request about battle screens: Sorry, I´m out here - PIII/850 on ABIT BH6 with slotket, GF2 TI 64MB DDR, 512MB SDRAM, Win98SE - I do battles normally to a max. of about 500 men on the screen, beyond that it gets choppy...again, sorry about that. If it helps, sure I can get some screens with small amount of men, but hordes of 3000 won´t work, I think... ( kept this old machine especially for M:TW/VI, had fun from the beginning)

-The .rar-downloads: I don´t know how backwards compatiple the .rar-engine is, mine is from about 2002 :-)) with .zip, as stated, there was no problem.

-Size-setting: default. Was slightly surprised to see spears wit 40 men and Cav with 100 (LithCav). Adds to the new tactics, I think, one has to develop compared with vanilla.

-Weapon/Armour-upgrades: Thanks for the tip with the .bifs, think I´ll give it a try..

-Girls, Girls, Girls: WHAT are the probs with 1.1? Got that too, and would not mind to install extra for the girl-bonus :-) It´s simply good to have the possibility to get some 6star loyalty3 general more loyal by offering the offspring....

Emissary/Spy: Nevertheless it´s no fun to kill a governor who´s loosing acumen ´cos of pride - this extra valor is hard to replace, but my style of playing asks for a minimum of 6acumen in rich provinces - hmmm....and those randomized v+v don´t help there...

-The Fun-Bit: Of course I wanted them not only to die, I wanted those Lithuanians to be weakened so much that my sparse troops could get hold of Couronia without some 5000 angry riders and spearmen around. Have to say, worked too good!

Btw, CavCharges didn´t work, too - those guys were pure killing machines and some enemies didn´t even go near them :-) the Leading Prince, if they count beyond the 9, must have had a dread of about 20, had come to birth with 7 and killed EVERYthing.....

-Pirates: I restricted my trade to Baltic Sea - Portugal, but half Iberia was rebel at some times, and Brittany too. So to get my economy going, I had to stop this interference. Didn´t want to conquer more than I could hold, so.....

-970: to some extend, I exploit the cowardness of the AI, doing MY thing in the game - one of the reasons I´d call me (in vanilla single player) an expert with the danes - didn´t choose them just for fun, you know :-) being besides all the rumours and turmoils

of "the continent" gives time to develop infrastructure and a small, but hard-to-beat army. Therefor, I play those guys about 80% of the time. Never Blitzed, only my games with the turks left no other choice in the beginning. and even then, I stopped in

Const/Sinai to develop things.....and, as said before, I love to tech up, build whatever is needed to get my way with the game :-)

-Gameplay: Axalon, tell me, is there anywhere a techtree available for REDUX? It´s hard with the trial-and-error-approach to find out what is possible to train where - for example, as Norse invading the British Islands of course I tried to get those

Scottish Nobles - only spending time and money on a vain attempt... so the Irish Horsemen must do for some Cav, ´til I invade Couronia once more (restarted because of building restrictions to train only what´s possible in the given province)...

-Post length: If you type a bit faster than me, you haven´t got a problem. My typing is so poor, THIS post took me about 45min. :-)) and not being a native english speaker with lack of practice for about 20 years formulations aren´t that easy, too

(last 25 years spent free time in greece, learning my 5th language)

-Conclusion: I love what you did to that game. Thanks again for that, Axalon. And sure I´ll keep reporting, asking and having fun here!

Greetings from Markgräflerland,

daigaku

ps. retraining, just saw norse horsemen don´t get valor bonus from master horse breeder ....and out

...and in again: double valour bonus archers guild/master bowyer won´t work neither for ordinary archers nor for norse pathfinders ....down and out in paris and london :-)
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-19-2012 at 18:08.

Hi guys…

Plato, thanks for stepping in and offering suggestions and input. As always, it is appreciated here. Anyways, what’s up on your end? Any Redux-stuff you want to discuss here? Or are you perhaps waiting for RXB1003?

Daigaku, it seems the finer details of BB-code are not familiar to you. Here, let’s remedy that once and for all….

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/misc.php?do=bbcode

Anyways, you brought another chunk of stuff here. Thanks for keeping things happening here, I appreciate that. It is good for this place, and for Redux as well. Alright, some comments then (and any players are free to join in if they like)….

Quote Originally Posted by daigaku
    - PIII/850 on ABIT BH6 with slotket, GF2 TI 64MB DDR, 512MB SDRAM, Win98SE - I do battles normally to a max. of about 500 men on the screen, beyond that it gets choppy...again, sorry about that. If it helps, sure I can get some screens with small amount of men, but hordes of 3000 won´t work, I think...
    It might be your GFX-card... 64MB is not really that much. Also check your soundsettings, lower to medium might help. Maybe you should invest in a 1-2 used ATI9800 Pros or some such. Those should not be too expensive or impossible to find. Assuming there is any Win98-drives for 'em. I don't have a clue. If you got a W7 PC, try Redux on that once the RXB1003 is out... Anyways, all this is up to you.

-The .rar-downloads: I don´t know how backwards compatiple the .rar-engine is,
    That might be it…

-Girls, Girls, Girls: WHAT are the probs with 1.1?
    Them girls... Important stuff indeed. Anyways, hopefully most of it are listed in the “Redux_ReadMe1002.txt”, known bugs section...

Emissary/Spy: Nevertheless it´s no fun to kill a governor who´s loosing acumen ´cos of pride - this extra valor is hard to replace, but my style of playing asks for a minimum of 6acumen in rich provinces - hmmm....and those randomized v+v don´t help there...
    I guess it’s hard to play the Norse then… The finer details of evolved government don’t strike me as typical Norse anyway… Getting high acumen might be hard with the Norse. Personally I loathe all random V & V’s (hardcoded)… It just screws things up…

Btw, CavCharges didn´t work, too - those guys were pure killing machines and some enemies didn´t even go near them :-) the Leading Prince, if they count beyond the 9, must have had a dread of about 20, had come to birth with 7 and killed EVERYthing.....
    Cavalry-charges don’t do multiple damage which is necessary to kill those princes. On standard Norse bodyguards it will hurt all the same. Arrows are still their greatest weakness (princes included).

-Pirates: I restricted my trade to Baltic Sea - Portugal, but half Iberia was rebel at some times, and Brittany too. So to get my economy going, I had to stop this interference. Didn´t want to conquer more than I could hold, so.....
    I can’t say I blame you here. I would probably do the same.

-970: to some extend, I exploit the cowardness of the AI, doing MY thing in the game - one of the reasons I´d call me (in vanilla single player) an expert with the danes - didn´t choose them just for fun, you know :-) being besides all the rumours and turmoils of "the continent" gives time to develop infrastructure and a small, but hard-to-beat army. Therefor, I play those guys about 80% of the time.
    Well the Norse is a good faction for just that. Small but strong armies (primarily infantry, sort of their speciality).

Never Blitzed,
    I doubt Blitzing is actually a sustainable strategy in Redux. There is so much that speaks and works against it. Both in the overall design and the AI-performance. I think Blitzer’s will have a hard time in Redux to make things work. Once overstretched – which is basically a matter time - the AI will bite back and possibly even wipe the player off the map. By all means, I offer a fair chance for anybody to prove me wrong on this. Deliver the facts that say otherwise. I will examine them with interest…

Axalon, tell me, is there anywhere a techtree available for REDUX?
    Nope… If you are willing to create one specific for the Norse, or for all factions - you have my full support. All I can say is that it is obvious that the gains of doing it ‘would not be limited to you personally if you share that work… A good start would be to acquire a GnomeEditor (see post:208) and digging out data thru the files. That offer is open to all btw…

It´s hard with the trial-and-error-approach to find out what is possible to train where - for example, as Norse invading the British Islands of course I tried to get those Scottish Nobles - only spending time and money on a vane attempt... so the Irish Horsemen must do for some Cav, ´til I invade Couronia once more (restarted because of building restrictions to train only what´s possible in the given province)...
    I totally understand what you are saying, and I sympathize… The problem is that nobody except for Joh (who for 2nd ED made such stuff, which is now hopelessly outdated, sorry) has actually bothered to compile such stuff into articles or guides somehow – for the obvious benefit of themselves and all other people that play Redux. I kind of have my hands full and I figured that if people wants it bad enough they will eventually create it on their own.…

And sure I´ll keep reporting, asking and having fun here!
    You do that. It is sort of the point here.... :)

-Post length
    Well, I am no star at this either. Writing does not come easy to me. I try however to do the best I can (with mixed success).

ps. retraining, just saw norse horsemen don´t get valor bonus from master horse breeder
    This is due to their requirements in buildings; that is in order - as is the case for the archers and pathfinders as well (no double valor-bonuses). In Redux we must fight to increase valor for high-tier units – there is few exceptions to that rule. Anyway, keep digging, you might find a bug the rest of us have missed….

Alright, that’s all I got for you this time....

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-20-2012 at 05:20. Reason: corrections...

Hi Axalon,

...man, you give me quite a bit of work, don´t you! :-) not enough I´m busy renovating a house from 1820, I´ll have to sit now till late night and type along with a speed of about 20/min....

Okay, out of experience, first infos:

- the NorseCav (those recruitable only in sweden and novgorod) do get the valour2bonus from the MHB, but LightHorsemen and NorseHorsemen don´t.

- on the British Isles, recruitable:

Scotland: only Clansmen and Claymores

Northumbria: SaxHeavySpear, SaxInf

Mercia: SaxHeavySpear, SaxInf, EnglForesters

Wessex: EnglForesters

Wales: only those you can build (afaik) everywhere: Archers, PeasCav, LightHorsemen (iirc, deleted all games except the newest start (idiot I am))

Couronia: LithInf (like them!), LithCav, LithNobles, SlavBow (didn´t bother with the Raider-stuff, no real fighters)

-few other remarks: Hardware - tried another (newer) AGP-card, but it seems that "olde piece of hardeware" (mainboard) doesn´t give enough power to the AGP-slot...

Norse: My dear Axalon, those guys weren´t only hard-to-fight b@st@rds, they were some of the best traders of their age, dealing stuff from Greenland(?) till Byzanz and beyond. So acumen is essential for them to flower up their Raiderdom :-)

"Standard Norse Bodyguards": they weren´t. Highest Armour/weapon upgrade, and as stated before, every moral/valour upgrade till Great temple. I think, I counted something like altogether a plus9 morals

Combined with the high dread of born7, mighty slayer and a few more - here you go....and fighting Cav/Spears in a forest....nice try, guys, but it´s time to die :-)

Anyway, with the new game started i´ll keep recording about the norse and their techpossibilities, collecting all info about where I go and post a list in near future (weekend coming:-))

Thanks for your input, critics and help

daigaku

ps. correction: with all the buildings on keep-level I can get a total of 11 morale, not taken in account the valour/moral rise

question: how can come the English start spamming out "Druids"? are they travellers in disguise or what?

...after having beaten every single english ship saw something nice: Stonecircles being built next to christian shrines. Yes, good old Avalon still today sometimes shines through :-)

ah yes, and because there was still a town watch in mercia I could build a town guard. Does look like something got corrupted..........

?????RX-Classic.txt/RX-ENGLAND/MakeBuilding:ID_WESSEX Stone3?????....RX-ENGLAND/MakeBuilding:ID_WESSEX Church????
    any chance, playing as the English, to make Britain...PAGAN?!?
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-20-2012 at 18:59.

Hi,

?? Axalon ?? ...waiting desperately for comment about those last findings - haven´t got a clue how to deal with those special circumstances (only knowing how it´s meant I can deal with accordingly), so if you got a few spare minutes....

greetings daigaku

ps. only after the last post took a near look to your profile. Being swedish of course you know about the economic history of the vikings - no offence was meant, Axalon :-))

Hello again Daigaku, I have moved your last post to the "Redux: debug area"-thread where it belongs. Anyways, let’s see what brought with you here this time…

- the NorseCav (those recruitable only in sweden and novgorod) do get the valour2bonus from the MHB, but LightHorsemen and NorseHorsemen don´t.
    This is due to building-requirements... Norse Cavalry can get +2 valor once a "Master Horse Breeder" is built. The others can't due to building-requirements....

Norse: My dear Axalon, those guys weren´t only hard-to-fight b@st@rds, they were some of the best traders of their age, dealing stuff from Greenland(?) till Byzanz and beyond. So acumen is essential for them to flower up their Raiderdom :-)
    Essentially true…. This is reflected with the Norse superior capacity to build fleets for naval operations – including trade… Few, if any, factions has it as easy as they do on such stuff. Good, fairly cheap and fast ships that’s easy and fast to build. Still, they don’t get as advanced in trade-orginization as other factions can be (if maxed out). And, no offence taken...

Anyway, with the new game started i´ll keep recording about the norse and their techpossibilities, collecting all info about where I go and post a list in near future (weekend coming:-))
    You do that…

Thanks for your input, critics and help
    No problem… I would however suggest that you try to format things with various BB-code so your posts get easier to read here. Again, use the provided link above (in my previous post) to find out about the details.

correction: with all the buildings on keep-level I can get a total of 11 morale, not taken in account the valour/moral rise
    As I understand it, the moral bonuses (out of buildings) do not stack. If you build something that grant higher bonuses (say +4) then you get that instead of the previous level of bonus of (say +2, for instance)…. This is how the engine works, I'm told. I think the max is +5 moral for the Norse – If I remember this right. If so, no other faction - save the Lithuanians - can get as much bonus...

question: how can come the English start spamming out "Druids"? are they travellers in disguise or what?
    ...after having beaten every single english ship saw something nice: Stonecircles being built next to christian shrines. Yes, good old Avalon still today sometimes shines through :-)
    I liked the idea of a pagan reminiscence on the British Isles, an echo of pre-Christian times if you will - so I let some stuff be available there to reflect it – the druid and stone circles are expressions of that. Druids do spread the pagan ways and zeal – and they are popular targets for Christian-paid assassins because of it…

ah yes, and because there was still a town watch in mercia I could build a town guard. Does look like something got corrupted..........
    Nah, no corruption... It is rather that I don’t like to have every (non-pagan) building to be instantly destroyed just because some pagan (or different culture) faction manages to take the province – as it is in the regular MTW-designs. Instead I made sure that some/more stuff still stands even if you belong to a different culture. Essentially, not everything disappears of what once was the previous standing tradition/order of that province. In order to get everything cleaned out -all such stuff must be done manually. Reflecting a more determined and deliberate doctrine of the conqueror to do so. People usually carry on in their old ways until forced to change it by the government/crown. There certainly are a lot of examples of that anyways – and Redux reflects that somewhat in its designs.

You are unlikely to get much gains other then the stability bonuses it provides in this case. You still can’t build any troops because of that building, while you may still develop it in some cases – if you have the coin to spare…

?????RX-Classic.txt/RX-ENGLAND/MakeBuilding:ID_WESSEX Stone3?????....RX-ENGLAND/MakeBuilding:ID_WESSEX Church????
    any chance, playing as the English, to make Britain...PAGAN?!?
    In short, no.... How about of "Stonehenge"? That's why....

As for units and availability-stuff in general, I'll deal with that in next post....

- A

Alright, I have created a template for use of charting out available special/restricted units as per faction X in Redux. This to make it easier for all people to do this as they play the game. It also provides a simple yet consistent appearence/format that is easy to overview for all, once the results are compiled posted up for public reference. Just copy and paste it and get cookin (for threads/posts use the qoute-button and kill the the quote-markers and everthing else before the template starts and after it ends, that way it is already formated and ready for use).

Fill in the blanks with ALL special (non generic) units available to relevant faction X on each province. If none is a available in province X, a simple "none" will problay do. Furthermore, it is probably better if we all use the actual and full terminology as it appears in game - "Saxon Heavy Spearmen"etc. etc. The reason is simple - it kills all confusion... Anyways, anybody is free to post in their results/findings and that way it might get done faster for all interested in this stuff. To me it seems like a good strategy to check one "region" at a time (as listed below) - but that is just my suggestion. This is player-driven project, so it is your show guys... The princilpe is simple, "If you do nothing - you get nothing".

Once enough results are in and compiled, I can set up dedicated thread for whatever faction is completed/charted out, for future and easy reference - and all relevant credits for it. (In Spoiler)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

---Start of Template---
    ------------------------------------
    FACTION: XXXX

Greater Scandinavia
    Sweden: Fill in the blanks...
    Norway:
    Denmark:
    Finland:

The British Isles
    Scotland:
    Northumbria:
    Mercia:
    Wessex:
    Wales:
    Ireland:

The Baltics (roughly)
    Couronia:
    Livonia:
    Prussia:
    Lithuania:

Russia
    Novgorod:
    Chenrigov:
    Smolensk:
    Suzdal:
    Kiev:

Western Europe
    Flanders:
    Frisia:
    Picardy:
    Normandy:
    Brittany:
    Aquitaine:
    Anjou:
    Ile-de-France:
    Champagne:
    Lorraine:

The Iberian Peninsula
    Navarre:
    Portugal:
    Castile:
    Leon:
    Aragon:
    Valencia:
    Andalusia:
    Granada:

Eastern Europe
    Poland:
    Volhynia:
    Carpathia:
    Moldavia:
    Hungary:
    Transylvania:

Central Europe
    Pomerania:
    Brandenburg:
    Franconia:
    Saxony:
    Silesia:
    Bohemia:
    Bavaria:
    Swabia:
    Austria:
    Burgundy:
    Tyrolia:

Southern Europe
    Toulouse:
    Provence:
    Genoa:
    Milan:
    Venice:
    Tuscany:
    The Papal States:
    Rome:
    Naples:
    Sicily:
    Sardinia:
    Corsica:

The Balkans
    Constantinople:
    Croatia:
    Serbia:
    Bulgaria:
    Wallachia:
    Greece:
    Crete:

North Africa
    West Africa:
    Morocco:
    Mauritania:
    Tunisia:
    Tripolitania:
    Cyrenacia:
    Egypt:

Minor Asia
    Tracesia:
    Chaldia:
    Cilica:
    Anatolia:
    Sivas:
    Armenia:

The Middle East
    Edessa:
    Antioch:
    Tripoli:
    Syria:
    Palestine:
    Arabia:
    Sinai:
    Cyprus:

Black Sea Region
    Khazar:
    Crimea:
    Georgia:
    Berezan:

---End of Template---

Hope it helps...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-22-2012 at 19:09. Reason: update...

Hi, Axalon

so if I do understan that right, everything being recruitable from level "Blacksmith" on, no matter what other building it requires, is "locked" to valour 0. Woodys, PeasCav, LightCav, Highlanders a.s.o.
    Therefore those NorseInf don´t get any bonus, no matter how far I build out everything possible - I´ll have to deal with that concerning my stratgy of building...

About the organization thing of the norse sure you are right. But as a people, they were at times pretty rich due to "Privatism". Thought that should be possible in the game as well.

I did count for the morale bonuses only the buildings being there after upgrading, not the previous ones.

Those english Druids had, in my experience, a strange immunity to assassins compared to mine - and it took a minimum of 4star assassin of mine to get done with them. Seems so for me, that Druids of a christian country aren´t recognized as the danger they are really. Could that be right in your eyes? On the other hand, it´s nice training for MY assassins to sit at home, having five Druids around and level up from every kill they execute when hordes of strangers pop in to kill my religious men . counted up to eight per province per turn, so within short time, starting from scratch I had assassins with 4-5-6 stars ...

Pity I can´t make Britain pagan - tried it by destroying all the christian stuff in every province I owned, building up pagan faith to over 50%, and hoping my heirs would change to pagan... didn´t work Pity, really, would have loved to keep the old ways going.....

That far for now, am working on the list on two systems (1.1 and 2.1) and will report. For example, taking aquitania leaves me with Woodys, Archers, PeasCav and LiteHorse - nothing else to be recruited....

greetings, and hopefully ´til soon,

daigaku

Just saw that you put this template thingy up there - you really ask for it, don´t you?!? Make me conquer the whole map just to fill in the odds and evens --- okay, let´s meet in africa....

daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-22-2012 at 19:23.

Oki, lets see what you got here...

so if I do understan that right, everything being recruitable from level "Blacksmith" on, no matter what other building it requires, is "locked" to valour 0. Woodys, PeasCav, LightCav, Highlanders a.s.o.
    Yup...

Therefore those NorseInf don´t get any bonus, no matter how far I build out everything possible - I´ll have to deal with that concerning my stratgy of building...
    I suppose so...

About the organization thing of the norse sure you are right. But as a people, they were at times pretty rich due to "Privatism". Thought that should be possible in the game as well.
    Nobody is doubting that. You still can get stinking rich with the Norse with enough time, determination, investments and ships to get there. Just as any other faction.

I did count for the morale bonuses only the buildings being there after upgrading, not the previous ones.
    Well, if you have maxed out everything you still only get +5 "moral level bonus" for Norse troops due to "great temple". This is in turn translates to x2 in actual moral increase in unit - don't ask me why but that is how I understand it. The rest will not provide any additional moral level bonuses if lower then that. So, you should essentially be able to squeeze out a +10 moral increase on all units trained there.

Those english Druids had, in my experience, a strange immunity to assassins compared to mine - and it took a minimum of 4star assassin of mine to get done with them. Seems so for me, that Druids of a christian country aren´t recognized as the danger they are really. Could that be right in your eyes?
    Nope, you were just unlucky...

On the other hand, it´s nice training for MY assassins to sit at home, having five Druids around and level up from every kill they execute when hordes of strangers pop in to kill my religious men . counted up to eight per province per turn, so within short time, starting from scratch I had assassins with 4-5-6 stars ...
    I guess the AI really wanted 'em dead then.

Pity I can´t make Britain pagan - tried it by destroying all the christian stuff in every province I owned, building up pagan faith to over 50%, and hoping my heirs would change to pagan... didn´t work Pity, really, would have loved to keep the old ways going.....
    Again, the engine can only handle and do so much...

That far for now, am working on the list on two systems (1.1 and 2.1) and will report. For example, taking aquitania leaves me with Woodys, Archers, PeasCav and LiteHorse - nothing else to be recruited....
    I'm torn about Woodsmen, they still are a somehow restricted unit. Better include them in the list (as a special unit, although not a very fancy one)...

Just saw that you put this template thingy up there - you really ask for it, don´t you?!? Make me conquer the whole map just to fill in the odds and evens --- okay, let´s meet in africa....
    You bet...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-23-2012 at 00:26. Reason: update...

Hi,

take back the "happily playing along" of post above. Yesterday evening after some 90 minutes of gameplay - CTD after battle. Think I stick to my old machine and save me nerves and loading time (up to 2.30min). Battling to a max. of about 500 men for over 10 years was no problem for me, so shouldn´t become now...

sad greetings, daigaku

Hi Daigaku,

I can't say I blame you... That's XP on bad drivers for you right there. At least you established that it is indeed possible to somehow get Redux to function on that hardware. Although, I would hardly call it "on acceptable terms" - to me, anything beyond 30 seconds of loading times is straight up unacceptable - regardless the game. STW2 or ETW for instance, goes well beyond that and it clearly hurts the game-experience because of it.

Redux is supposed to be played with loading times below 10 seconds of on average. I can accept stuff up to 20 seconds - beyond that is borderlining the unacceptable if it happens on a regular basis, to me anyways (and what I regard as proper and solid game-design). Essentially, regularly clocking 20+ seconds starts to hurt the game-experience in ways that is extremely hard to counter - if at all possible.

Stick to your old PC, I would do the same. And, it is your call regardless.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-26-2012 at 03:24. Reason: update...

Alright, some links are up...

The following changes are to be expected with RXB1003....

• Windows 7 officially supported.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Burgundy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, France.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Papacy.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Portugal.
    • Upgrades on GFX, Russia.
    • Upgrades on GFX, units (minor)
    • Upgrades on GFX, Peasant BIF-plate (minor).
    • Upgrades on GFX, models (for improved experience with W7)
    • Upgrades on GFX, interface & icons (various).
    • Upgrades on GFX, frontend and loadingscreen
    • Upgrades on GFX, various models and textures
    • Campaign/stratmap-texture upgraded.
    • All princess portraits (Catholic, Orthodox and pagan) upgraded to the “2012-paradigm”.
    • Upgrades on “battle-animations”, Dragon Order Knights, Russian Boyars, Slavic Horse Archers, English-, Spanish-, Frankish- and Papal Knights.
    • Russia will be unlocked and be fully playable as an optional faction (officially).
    • Spies returns to Redux, now available via the chancellery-building. “Travellers” are out - the engine could not handle it properly....
    • Minor adjustments on unit-roster.
    • Minor adjustments on buildings/tech-roster.
    • European-editions compatible, French/German/Italian/Spanish-editions. (In English)
    • Low resolution faction-shields fixed. The engine could not handle the previous colours properly...
    • A few minor bugs and errors killed.
    • Scotish Nobles get their shields.
    • ?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-24-2012 at 21:44. Reason: update...

Hi Axalon,

...my god, being busy with my own tiny stuff had totally forgotten about your release date - sorry for keeping you busy with my nagging about minor flaws and failures!

hopefully, if I install the new version, my safes still be playable? looking forward for it.

thankful greetings,

daigaku

Hello again Daigaku,

Yup, as you can see I have been quite busy on my own. Basically, I am slow but persistent and eventually I will get there in the end (sometimes it takes longer then this). Whenever too many things happen at the same time I can clearly not keep up with it all - even if I try (after all, Redux has another "embassy" over at the TWC and a small and largely ignored "consulate" for all reduxians over at the CA-boards as well. And, me trying to do some work on the side as well. And, I just spent a few hours cleaning and catching up the on threads here as well. So yeah, it's busy alright - but - I rather take that then the other way around). You obviously try to do some work here as well it seems, keeping the wheels turning here. I can certainly appreciate that regardless, and it will eventually benefit you, others and Redux as well. I have little doubt about that.

if I install the new version, my safes still be playable?
    Yes, it is fully save-game compatible (as previously promised and stated). Just download it and install and you are back to business - but - then you are riding on the RXB1003 instead. This regardless of engine, obviously you need both A+B modules (and in proper order) for the V.2.01-engine. I can promise you that the new girls look better as well (the pagan vixens are probably my personal faves!)... :)

- A

Alright folks, some more stuff here...

Over at the TWC - Lord of the Pies - (who just signed up here at the ORG, yesterday?) posted up the first screens on RXB1003 (newly released) and I thought they were so good that I thought I should share them here as well. So folks, without further ado the first campaign-screens, taken from an Italian campaign - courtesy of Lord of the Pies....

Don't mess with the Doge's champion, or else... Other then that, the grass sure is greener in Redux.

On a slightly different note.... I may have broken a record somehow in loading-times as I checked out RXB1003 on W7 before releasing it. Using the v.1.1-engine I got regularly and roughly - 1 second loading times! I did not even get to see the new loading-screen at all. Boom! And I was in the game. Even small battles... Boom! And the battles was on... I must admit that not even with the ultra-special-optimal stuff in place on my (OS) 2000 PC, I have never managed to load Redux as fast as I now can on my W7-PC. It's fast, really really fast!

The VI/v.2.01-engine is still somewhat slower, about 3-4 seconds slower in general. However, it still falls well within what can be considered good and acceptable loading times. Averaging about 4-8 seconds on W7 (essentially the same as on 2000). On my hardware anyways...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-26-2012 at 17:45. Reason: She-Hulk!

Over at the debug-area daigaku wrote...

... working with the "possible recruition" list of the Norse right now. Being sort of slow player I´m not sure if one campaign is enough to get the whole map "cartographed", but till Khazar conquered all the east now and wrote down everything. Heading for Iberia now (those Aragonese own 3/4 of Europe at the moment - no Germans, no french, no Italians) and have a look what be recruited there....
    And...

...´cos already in 1002 didn´t find all the stuff that was in it have simply to say about 1003: COOOOOOOL!!! You keep me glued to the machine in every free minute, so expect more bits and pieces of resonance!

Thanks a lot, daigaku
    That's great Daigaku and thanks! It is/was basically the plan here... Offering an exiting, different and fun game-experience etc. etc. So, it makes me very happy to hear that RXB1003 hits so close to home for you. All the same, it's pity that not more people are currently trying it and posting about it here, as it is. I guess we can't get it all...

Anyhow, about the unit availability-stuff for the Norse... I would imagine that it will take some time and multiple campaigns to fill out all the blanks in the template I provided here (see post:496). Anyways, I am considering to set up a new WIP-thread for it already - just to keep all that stuff in one, easy to find, dedicated place. What do you think? I am open for your input and ideas on this. I mean, otherwise it will be chasing down this and that post all over the place and I think it is better to avoid all that by setting up a clear and dedicated area for it (even if that stuff are not completed and done yet). Well, What do you think Dai? (Obviously, all others are free to offer their input as well here).

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-28-2012 at 17:58. Reason: stuff...

Hi,

sticking to the Norse will keep me busy as well in 1.1 as in 2.01 for quite a while - will shift to other factions only after having mastered this one. Seems though they get really the same units in both versions (wasn´t sure about that one). Question: Why, for all the Gods´ sake, do you deny me the Slavic Foresters, having all the other slavic units in the rooster? Love those forester/pathfinder units...they are great for suicide missions and, till now, never saw them break!

btw, had sent you a mail to the "cyberways"(?) address with all the stuff till right down Khazar - haven´t found it yet? Thought it to be best to collect all at the Grand Master´s place to compile as he likes ;-) Could be the first bit for this WIP-thread (what does WIP mean?) you´re considering. Next faction for me sure will be the English, for the sake of Avalon and Paganism in North/Northwestern Europe ;-) ; making alliances with the Norse and Lithuanians could be fun as English, wiping all those petty christians right off the map....

Keep the Good Work goin´,

greetings daigaku

ps: Hello? anybody else out there playin 1003?
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-29-2012 at 13:36.

Hello Dai,

Yeah I would imagine it will... Yup, both engines have the same units.

Question: Why, for all the Gods´ sake, do you deny me the Slavic Foresters, having all the other slavic units in the rooster?
    Have I? If so, it was probably done with the intention to force you to rely on the Norse units... I got to check that...

btw, had sent you a mail to the "cyberways"(?) address with all the stuff till right down Khazar - haven´t found it yet? Thought it to be best to collect all at the Grand Master´s place to compile as he likes ;-) Could be the first bit for this WIP-thread (what does WIP mean?) you´re considering.
    Mail replied.... Anyways, you can post you findings directly (t)here once the Norse WIP-thread (Work In Progress) is set up...

Next faction for me sure will be the English, for the sake of Avalon and Paganism in North/Northwestern Europe ;-) ; making alliances with the Norse and Lithuanians could be fun as English, wiping all those petty christians right off the map....
    I can't see, why not... The English offer a clearly different experience just as most other factions do in Redux. If you have any questions on that note, feel free to ask...

- A

Hi,

okay, I´ll post next time there - but, as stated, will take some time to cover all the map. But I can put it there as well in bits and pieces, so for every region of the map there would be some info.

Have dealt with the English already a bit, so got an idea what strengths and weaknesses they have (NEVER fight Norse units in forests!)

btw, think I broke a personal record: the max. I got done with as Norse Bodyguard till today was about 400-500 men. Today one unit served the cold dish of death to 1272 (out of about 1900) before went down completely. In a forest, of course ;-)

greetings, daigaku

ps the "slavic rooster" was, of course, only meant where they belong to - see mail ;-)
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-29-2012 at 22:36.

Hello Dai,

Well, if it becomes a hurry to set up the Norse WIP-thread let me know. Otherwise, I'll get around to it eventually.

Have dealt with the English already a bit, so got an idea what strengths and weaknesses they have (NEVER fight Norse units in forests!)
    Sounds like you might have something to add to the "Battle & Tactics"-thread or possibly the "Tips for a new Redux player?"-thread?

btw, think I broke a personal record: the max. I got done with as Norse Bodyguard till today was about 400-500 men. Today one unit served the cold dish of death to 1272 (out of about 1900) before went down completely. In a forest, of course
    Well, that certainly does sound impressive. I take it that the AI was basically using the wrong kind of troops as all this happened. Or possibly that it takes more time and development for Catholic factions to get their armies in order to seriously combat the Norse properly (the Norse being faster at this). Or maybe that you have possibly upgraded your troops so much that they basically must face high tier troops in order to get beaten somehow? Or that the terrian was working more to your favor other then just being in the woods? I don't know, I don't have the data here and so I can't truly say. Anyways, the player will (once experienced enough) always be better at upgrading things then the AI - even in Redux, and that AI strikes me as ridiculously superior to the raw AI on such stuff. The question is hardly if the Norse formations can be beaten or not, but if the AI fields enough troops that can do it - under AI-supervision - I think that is the most important question.

Anyways, speaking of other threads... There is a question in the "Redux: size-settings"-thread (see post:7) that you might want to answer. Check it out...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-07-2012 at 18:14. Reason: clarifications...

Hi Axalon,

;-)) you know me too good meanwhile - 20 men of Norse Bodyguard, led by a prince, 7star, valour8, became 16 years old two years after the Great Pagan Temple was finished - fighting in a dense wood on a hill, rainy weather, opponents were mainly Spears, Archers, Royal Knights, a few units Regular Infantry, Billmen a.s.o - nothing to fear ;-))
    and they died in the end, but only after they had cleared a province for invasion. It´s the usual job I give to unwanted/unloyal princes ;-))

The only thing I can say about tactics AGAINST the Norse is: don´t let them hide, pepper them with arrows/crossbow bolts, and come with NUMBERS!! (even a simple unit of Norse Infantry, except the daigaku-usual morale upgrades nothing special, tricked about 230 men into forest death!) If there are Bodyguards around, even Cav-attacks won´t help much - in open field those 20 men (with Princes/valour5 and up) are able to finish between 90 and 150 HeavyCav....

now will have a look at the other thread ;-))

playful greetings daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 05-08-2012 at 01:36.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast