Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Default Re: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Hello Cyp, nice to see you posting here again in this dusty old place...

Before I answer your question, I just want to say that I have neither any Steam(-version) or W10 and therefore I am happy to receive any intel/info on Redux, Steam and W10 you can send my way. I could probably use it somehow, somewhere... As for your problem - I have no idea... Perhaps you could use the arrow-buttons instead? They work... If you punch in num-lock you can use those keys too, and zoom in/out as well. Maybe that could remedy your problem? At any rate...

Dear all lurkers...

Cyprian have just proven here - simply by posting - that this place is actually open for business (to anybody willing) - all it takes is you posting here. If you (yes that means you) want new stuff to happen here, if you actually want to have new stuff to read about Redux - then you post... As simple as that... It is the only way - there are no alternative or other way for keeping this place active and interesting...

If you do not post - then nothing will happen here, and I will be as active here as that, and you will as a direct result get zero output and stuff to read here. That translates to zero things to lurk on, alright? I can only take this place so far on my own. Besides, having me babbling here to myself gets old real fast. Even I get that... Ergo, this place needs some kind dialog and input in order to have a meaningful output of any kind, it is a simple as that. And that means posts, in all its forms and sizes. No posts equals no activity - and ultimately nothing for you to lurk on here, alright?

I just thought I should clear this up here, once and for all. Now, feel free to
    surprise me, and start actually using this place, who ever you are...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-08-2017 at 04:14.

Hey, Ax. Thanks for the reply. Good suggestion re: using the arrow keys. For some reason, this Win 10/Steam version just seems to scroll super fast, but it's a bit better with the arrows because I can at least choose where to stop. Also, every twenty turns or so, I will get a freeze-up on the Redux splash screen after hitting escape on the campaign map. Most frustratingly, it usually happens when I'm trying to save after a large battle. Not sure why this happens, but quick-save is my friend now.

I am really enjoying some of the new elements. Just a couple questions:

1. What is the ultimate payoff of following the brewery chain to the top? Just extra florins? Is it worth it considering my generals will also gain the "often drunk" trait?

EDIT: Not florins, I meant public order. So the question being: is it simply a happiness modifier, or is there ever a financial benefit?

2. Whatever happened to the Hungarian dragon knights from versions long ago? I really miss those guys, and feel they added some extra spice to the game. I also enjoyed bribing them when playing as Poland. If I recall correctly, there was also a dismounted version. Would you ever consider bringing them back?

So far I've played as Spain and Poland. Both campaigns ended because my king died without heirs. :(

As always, thanks for the hard work. I've got screenies to share eventually.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; 05-18-2017 at 13:19.

Heya Cyp,

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    ...every twenty turns or so, I will get a freeze-up on the Redux splash screen after hitting escape on the campaign map. Most frustratingly, it usually happens when I'm trying to save after a large battle.
    I have no idea (nota bene) - my guess would be its driver or hardware-related... Never heard of anything like it before. Maybe its a steam-version thing, but I doubt it (I would probably have heard something about it before now, had that been the case)...

I am really enjoying some of the new elements.
    Great to hear, I really wish that more people and players would sound off regarding the 1006 somehow - likes/dislikes/opinions/something. Its only the most extensive RX-release since 2011 - but who is keeping tabs on such fleeting details anyways? Save me perhaps - the guy who does all the work... :P

So far I've played as Spain and Poland. Both campaigns ended because my king died without heirs. :(
    Never liked that part/element in the game.... Once I commented (jokingly) on all this stuff...

"Personally, I never approved of that part of that game and as a result I constantly use the "unfreeze-cheat" to bypass that crap as much as possible (as it is all hardcoded). Same with the marriages, I never approved of that nonsense either and so I happily use debug mode to just bypass that too. Both were absent in STW1, and it is clearly better off as a game because of it... After all, I don't play any TW to broker some damn marriages or to worry about (almost) pointless kings and their ridiculous children/heirs that barely lasts beyond 20-30 turns anyhow (generally speaking). Play some damn Sims-game for that crap! Yes, it is a bit simplified, but the sentiment should be plain enough for all to see anyhow. This is Total War! Not kindergarten or baby-fest!" :D

As for da questions...

1. What is the ultimate payoff of following the brewery chain to the top? Just extra florins? Is it worth it considering my generals will also gain the "often drunk" trait?

EDIT: Not florins, I meant public order. So the question being: is it simply a happiness modifier, or is there ever a financial benefit?
    The maxed out Brewer-tech yields +5% stability and (about) +8 fl. per turn and little else (which is kind of good actually). It does not influence or generate traits/vices as such (I wish, but it does not). Vices are usually random (unfortunately)...

2. Whatever happened to the Hungarian dragon knights from versions long ago? I really miss those guys, and feel they added some extra spice to the game. I also enjoyed bribing them when playing as Poland. If I recall correctly, there was also a dismounted version. Would you ever consider bringing them back?
    They are still in Redux... Its just that the requirements have been increased for them (in1005?) and so the Hungarians can not build some Dragon Knights until they have developed all the necessary tech for it. You could obviously mod this back and forth if you like - giving them all the stuff necessary at start up (in start pos-file), or do other changes on this note. And no... There never was a dismounted version for these boys...

Alright, that's all I have for you this time - and feel free to share any Redux
    screens here - this place could use some action.

- A

Folks, I would like to have some opinions on these "Muslim princesses" - as I am somewhat torn... See images below. Which do
    you guys prefer/like the most? The black and white alternative princesses - or - the standard gold and orange kind? ...Thoughts?

These are the standard gold and orange kind...

These are the alternative white and black kind...

Basically, help me decide.

- A

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I think I'd go for black and white myself
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Axalon 

Thanks for your input here Mac (this forum is obviously not as active as it used to be),

As it turns out you have been "outvoted" by folks over at the TWC, who preferred the standard princesses. I tell you what, I'll include the black and white version as additional bonus material for RXB1007 - leaving every or any player with the option to use that alternative - if so desired. I think that is the best I can do on this note.

- A

200.000+ views sure is a lot of views... Anyways...

Or...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 09-01-2017 at 16:26.

i can't wait for tomorrow release!

Alright folks, the links are live...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-10-2017 at 17:32.

With last version,I play great without any type of problem.
    Now with this version I've immediatly a CDT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cattura.PNG 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	19921  

Excellent that you posted up a screen.... Now, if you get one of these messages.... (And yes, its identical)....

Means that you have not been reading the provided instructions, and that you are trying to run (basic "module A") Redux
    without the VI-upgrade upon a VI/v.2.01/Gold/Steam-game. To fix it, apply/install the VI-upgrade (aka. "module B") for
    1007 ASAP and install it on top (as in last) - and you will be playing Redux in no time....

Its found as a separate folder in the RXB1007-package - named "Redux - VI-UPGRADE".

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-11-2017 at 16:41.

All works ok,thanks!

Excellent that it has worked out for you Fresco...

Anyhow, I thought I could - if nothing else happens here - show some visual differences between
    the original MTW and RXB1007 by posting a few big (1920x1080p) comparative screens...

See in spoiler folks...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now, lets start with having a look the campaign-mode and its differences... Using England as an example... First out, raw MTW...

And then... The RXB1007 counterpart...

So, lets have a look at the Royal knights... First out, raw MTW...

Now, lets have a look at some plain spearmen (using Italians)... First out, raw MTW...

And then... The RXB1007 counterpart... (Using Poles)...

Finally, lets have a look at some other unit... Italian infantry, for instance... First out, raw MTW...

Any thoughts and comments on all this?

- A

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

nice work Axalon ...
    looks much more alive .

Great stuff as usual Axalon. The new map is more atmospheric and varied. The new farming techs are good at slowing down the rate of improvement, I have yet to see how the AI uses it.

Thanks for posting guys...

Jingo, as far as I can tell the new farming system of RXB1007, hits both player and AI in terms of speed. General development of any province are typically and clearly slowed down. However, a skilled player will always outperform the AI - no matter the designs. This change basically "even things out" somewhat in terms of speed - as the player will now inevitably need longer time/more turns to set up a functional economy in any province, just like the AI (assuming we do this from scratch). This, before she can seriously focus on events beyond her borders - so to speak.

I have not run a ton of tests on this, but from what I have seen so far it seems to work (as intended). It should work well in theory, at least... At any rate, it certainly is harder to generate cash now, as it takes more time and investments to get there, and on top of that, several prices/costs have been (deliberately) increased too. Feel free to monitor this aspect of the Redux more closely if you like, and share your findings here. I would speculate that some AI-factions (HRE, Poland and Russia, for instance) will probably have a harder time dealing with this farming-model then other factions (ultimately, needing more time). On the other end, "supremacy-bonus-factions" like Byzantium, Moors and Saracens are probably hit much less by it...

- A

A happy new year folks... The customary notes to self...

Redux & 2017:
    Releases: RXB1007, and some hotfixes...
    Downloads RXB1007: 498
    Downloads RXB1006: 739
    Views in 2017: +48.000 (!), this thread... (the TWC Redux-thread had +46.000 views)
    Posts in 2017: +18 & 11 where mine, this thread... (the TWC Redux-thread had 51 posts & 20 was mine).

Well, its the end of 2017 and Redux is still around (even here at the Org!) and its almost 10 years old at this point (as a public entity). Imagine that! MTW is still around too, and that is a freaking 15-year old game by now. To me, this whole circumstance is exceptional and extreme all over, as I have never ever played - or modded - ANY videogame like this. Its totally unique for Redux and MTW. And I can't really explain it, other then I clearly still like 'em somehow (otherwise I would have left it behind long ago, obviously), despite all things and all the time passed. Its just unbelievable and extreme. Who would have believed any of this back in 2008, right?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-31-2017 at 18:55. Reason: Da English!

2000+ Downloads!

As of this week the RXB1007 managed to reach 2000+ downloads! Obviously this is good news for Redux on general terms, as it definitely shows that this mod still generates much interest and players after all these years (10 in fact!). Typically, I consider any release (Redux or otherwise) that manage to go north of 500+ downloads to be a success far and well beyond rational expectations - that for any material - but especially so for all stuff that does depend on/apply to ancient/old games - such as MTW. So these news/statistics are welcome yet unexpected success for the RXB1007 as such, but also for the Redux-project in general. Obviously I am very happy about all this stuff...

Any comments/thoughts on all this?

- A

Hello and congrats, Axalon. It's only natural that Redux continues to generate interest as it is one of the best MTW mods out there in my opinion. Thank you for the many hours of joy your mod provided me with. Cannot wait for the next release.

Axalon 

Hi Leith and thanks for posting (as always),

Umm, I have no idea when the next release of Redux will be at this point, its TBA essentially. And whenever I do, I will obviously post some note about it right here... And just maybe, you might be able to have some more adventures in "Redux-land". We will see. Anyhow, thanks again Leith...

- A

10 years at the Org!

As it stands, Redux has managed to go beyond to the 10-year marker... Imagine that, 10 mighty years! By internet time it’s a small eternity, and its kind of hard to believe for me too. At the Org, it all started with this very thread in Aug 2008, and here I am, still posting here! Amazing! I remember, over at the TWC, I was so frustrated that I could not get any damned people to post and especially to actually try my mod/work! It was annoying as hell, just read the first 30-40 posts or so (over there) in that thread and you can see that all over. While here at the Org, it was a different story altogether! In a good way! Obviously, things changed, and tons of stuff happened on the road to get all the way to now 2018. Its a long journey...

The first version of Redux really was a very different beast then what you guys can download today. It really was more of an expansion of the raw game, building on that. However it had some inovations too. For instance, the colorized campaign-map was included in that release. Before then, such a notion was thing was essentially unheard of in the world of MTW. Another inovation was the use faction-colors applied to the knigts horses. Maybe some more but I don’t remember…

One of the first promo-pics I ever did for Redux, back in 2008. One of the innovations with Redux 1.0 was the active use of faction-colours on agents like
    emissaries & princesses for instance. Previously it had always been confined to the base only .Note that the princess-pieces were also very different back
    then, as were their portraits and the Lombard shields too. The logo was different as well...

Over the years there have been so many changes, that I more or less lost track of it all. Few things are still included today, that came with the initial (public) release. Some of these few things are the various portraits/artwork of Spies, Druids and Bishops. I still use them today… Also, a bunch of the Hero-portraits (Catholic) has managed this feat, as well. Other then that there is not much left of that first release back in Aug 2008. And that was just for V1.1, as there was no VI/V2.01-version around at first.

Soon after, in October a second edition dubbed “Redux 1.0b”, was publicly released. It was basically an improved and more polished version of its predecessor, but the overall ideas and designs where still rather similar, and fairly close to the raw game by todays standards. Despite all that, it still managed to end up tougher and more challenging then the raw game. Due to improved designs. Of course, it was nowhere close to the possible challenge-levels we got today in Redux - but in those days it was generally considered tough. Close to that release, there was various patches crafted and Redux became ported to VI/V.2.01 games, for the first time.

By 2009, the plans for a 3rd Edition of Redux was in full swing. Planned to be released in the summer. It would never happen, as Redux got delayed well
    beyond that point. Also, note that the Portuguese unit-banners where quite different back then...

By 2010, 3rd Edition Redux was still not released when this promowork was made public. Note the cryptic "release 2010". Anyhow, the pagan Norse have
    always had a special place in Redux, much more so then in raw MTW. The 3rd Edition was planned to offer more such content and units then had been
    included before and make each unit more distinct too. Btw, many of these units are still in use even today...

It would take some 3 years (March 2011) before another version of Redux actually publicly released. It was dubbed the Redux Beta 1000... Once released, it showed that tons of things had happened up to that point, both in the project as such - drastic changes in designs and artwork for instance, but also around the project. It had established itself in the public eye, as one of the then “big four” (BKB-supermod, MedMod, XL and Redux). It had even been awarded and recognized here at the Org, in 2010. Together with the beta1001 (released a month or two later) it would lay the first foundation of what we know as Redux today. I had worked like crazy with that release. New AI-system, redesigned combat-model, new weapons & shield-animations, new tech-tree – you name it. I also had help from a few brave souls that helped out in various ways "for the greater good of Redux"… At any rate, the changes introduced with the Beta1000/1001 was massive. Despite all that, there was plenty of errors and bugs - so the beta1002 was published in the summer of 2011. It was a much better release, as I recall.

It might be interesting in retrospect to see how Redux campmaps have actually evolved during these ten years. It started out as fairly faithful to the original
    map but in 2011 all that was gone - instead we had an entirely new style for Redux - which eventually became darker and darker for some reason...

In 2012 came the beta1003, which was better and more polished version then the beta1002. At the end of 2013, the beta1004 was finally introduced (having been delayed). And with it we take yet another important jump closer to the Redux we know today… Initially it had problems with the AI-performance as the AI had been redesigned yet again (problems were limited to the VI/v.2.01-variant, as the V1.1 performed just fine)… After a bunch of bugs and serious panic, it seems to have been resolved to decent enough levels anyways. 2014 the beta1005 was introduced. The beta1005 had a much better release, and much less problems as I remember it. All the same, in 2016, beta1006 hit the world. Lots of new and important artwork in that release – princesses! What else could be more important?! Over the years, few things have generated as much fuss and opinions as the RX-princesses. There are only a few things that I have worked on as much, and as hard as these damn girls. Now, since people have ceased to post opinions about them (da girls!). I take it that they are good and sexy enough by now…

This montage was created to showcase the various new princesses included in the RXB1006, released at the end of 2016. Redux had several incarnations and
    versions of princesses before this batch - but these are probably the most "spot-on" in terms of style and what I always wanted for Redux...

Anyways, at the end of 2017 we had the last release that make up Redux as we know it today – the beta1007. Comparing that with the first release of 2008 is more or less like night and day, I think. Yet it too contains some errors/bugs here and there, which are slowly fixed and stamped out - up till now there have been released 3 hotfixes, so far. So that particular part have not changed much... Still, I think the 1007 have come a long way from the early days, the designs are radically different, as is the overall experience and circumstances delivered, as is the visual experience provided if we compare it all to both the original game or the first Redux of 2008...

Anyhow, what do you folks think of the long journey Redux have had over the last decade and the current RXB1007-
    performance and experience in general, do tell/post! After all, its not every day we honour/celebrate 10 years here!

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-29-2018 at 19:05. Reason: update...

YanBG 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Congratulations on this milestone, Axalon, and thanks for sticking with us.

Here's to many more years of MTW-Redux!

Axalon 

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Looks fantastic! It's been a long time since I played a campaign, but this gives me good reason to do so in the near future. Outstanding, Axalon. Thank you for these amazing contributions to one of my favorite games of all time.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Hard to believe it's been 10 years! Redux was the first mod I ever installed -- back when I didn't have access to Viking Invasion, and had to find something good for regular MTW. Redux really made the grade, and provided countless hours of entertainment. Believe it or not, I still have one of the earliest builds (from 2008?) and I occasionally revisit an old campaign as the Polish. Though the new map is absolutely gorgeous, the older maps still have their charms.

Congrats on continuing the legacy, Ax. Looking forward to what 2019 might bring for Redux!

Thanks for posting guys... Anyways, the traditional "notes to self" for 2018...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redux & 2018:
    Releases: 1 hotfix...
    Downloads RXB1007: 1837
    Views in 2018: +24.000, this thread... (For comparison, the TWC Redux-thread had +39.000 views)
    Posts in 2018: +7 & 3 where mine, this thread... (For comparison, the TWC Redux-thread had 22 posts & 11 was mine).

In 2018, I was away from the Org and the RX-area for 8 months straight (Jan-Aug). From May to Aug this entire section (the RX-area) was effectively shut down due to Org-management had screwed up after their "upgrade of the site" - leaving all major threads in the RX-area totally inaccessible and thus impossible to post in/edit as a result. Why? Because they simply failed (or did not bother) to check out the site properly AFTER they applied that "upgrade".... You know, like normal/serious sites do....

I discovered all this as I returned here, and once I complained it was finally fixed. This within 24 hrs, and that is the only good thing I can say about this entire affair. The TWO other moderators assigned to this place (by the administration!) - besides myself - where were they during those 3 months of shutdown, one wonders? Again, what is the point of assigning any additional moderators to this place/section if they will not patrol the area somehow, sometime? If you ask me, its just some more of that "Org-logics" in all its glory...

I have no doubt that my personal absence here AND the administrations screw-up from May to Aug have somehow influenced the numbers we get for the Redux-area in 2018 (both for views and posts). Strictly statistically speaking, 2018 was a rather poor year, especially for this thread compared with 2017 - as it generated only half the views it had generated back then. In terms of posts its more of the same - less then half of that of 2017. I think these final numbers and the related circumstances here show somehow what happens when practices are as poor as we have had here, thus far. Poor practices, generates poor results... Imagine that.

Now, if we look at sheer downloads - Redux fared much better then the statistics related to this Redux-area (and site) would suggest. In fact, it has been an exceptionally good year for the project in terms of sheer downloads - so it can hardly be that people in general have somehow lost interest in it. Nah, the statistics paint us different picture - and one that stands in great contrast to this place (and site) at large - things has essentially never been as good as it was in 2018 for Redux, as it was downloaded more then ever (since I first released the 1000-betas)...

REDUX Betas (3rd ED)
    ----------------------------------
    Year & downloads:
    ----------------------------------
    2011 ---- 500+
    2012 ---- 950
    2013 ---- 1300
    2014 ---- 1350
    2015 ---- 1800
    2016 ---- 1050
    2017 ---- 1237
    2018 ---- 1837 (All-time high? It looks like it...)

So that don't match up with the relatively poor numbers that we have had from this site/area, this year (again, compare with the TWC-thread). Instead it seems to be something that is not working well around here (at the Org). Furthermore, I have not seen any attempts to improve or combat the obviously poor practices by Org-staff thus far - either here at the RX-area directly, or the site at large - this since August 2018. I can only explain the administrations unconcern/disinterest for combating such overtly deficient practices due to complacency. Or is it just more of that notorious "Org-logics" at work, or is it perhaps both? ...Who knows? ...Who cares?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 01-04-2019 at 19:32. Reason: Da English...

YanBG 

Excelent work and congratulations for the 10 years of service!
    I really like the improved campmap graphics and also the more vivid battle textures(houses looked very basic in the original).

Edit: Redux should be more popular and played on Youtube even, but i guess it's tied to the game's overall fanbase?
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-29-2019 at 00:18.

Couldn't agree more, YanBG. Redux is undervalued even though it is one of the best MTW mods ever. It is unique in almost every single aspect:
    the unit roster, the map, the graphics, even the rebels, who can be deadly in this mod. I would like to thank Axalon for his great work on getting the weapons/shields co-ordinates right. Thanks to his hard work, my vanilla units finally look decent enough. Wish him more success.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Axalon, I will give your mod a significant try-out, now that you released the 2018 / 2019 version. Should be great fun.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Yeah, this is a mod with a lot of effort put in it, kudos for still going at it..

Hello folks and thanks for posting guys... How are things on da Org-side of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    ... Redux should be more popular and played on Youtube even, but i guess it's tied to the game's overall fanbase?
    Well, I agree but the fanbase is rather small these days... I would welcome some more Redux-youtube clips any day - playthrough or battles, makes no difference to me. It would just be fun to have some more of that. Another thing is that many who still bother with MTW are convinced "purists" - especially here at the Org, it seems. Redux is all about doing the very stuff that the purist-crowd don't like... Changing, altering and improving things...

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    Redux is undervalued even though it is one of the best MTW mods ever. ...
    I would say that Redux is undervalued by some people but not all - often, it is by people who never even tried it, or actually understand what it does and brings. However, it is hard to escape that there are plenty of folks that do like and value Redux. While it does not show much here at the Org - despite the existing Redux-section here - it does show some more over at the TWC where Redux has ended up as No:1 MTW-work/mod in both posts and traffic (there). Obviously, it would be fun if Redux had more support around here - but what can you do? If people or the site (as such) don't want to actively support your stuff - you can't force them. Anyhow, I have always valued your support and posts here...

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Axalon, I will give your mod a significant try-out, now that you released the 2018 / 2019 version. Should be great fun.
    Hi Edyz, you have ended up an administrator?!? That's quite a promotion... Congratulations? You may very well be the first Org-administrator - since Tosa - that I might actually get along with. That is a welcome change. Let's hope for that. Anyhow, I do welcome this unexpected surprise but I can't help but to wonder what changed your mind? I mean, Redux have been around and supported here for more then 10 years - so why the sudden urge to play it now? Is there a special reason for this?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 07-10-2019 at 10:23.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast