Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Default Re: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

3000+ downloads!

As of this month the RXB1005 has managed to generate over 3000 downloads in total (since release), which of course is fantastic but also somewhat amazing as the base-game (MTW1) is... 14 freaking years old, which is essentially a humongous period in the fleeting world of video-games... Yup, 14 years old (AND it has a sequel too!), as unlikely candidate as that, and it is still not down and out, but somehow fighting on, as (some) people evidently keep playing MTW - and Redux right along with it. It is some 10 years since the RX-project started - 8 years (and counting) on the public scene (also a much longer period then most projects lasts). Needles to say, it certainly have exceeded any expectation I ever had (or dared to have) on it, as I first started working on it in 2006. Its all somewhat unreal yet its true... Imagine that....

Any comments/thoughts on all this?

- A

Congratulations! When something has quality people notice that.

Congratulations and I'm not surprised at all Axalon. Your mod is a big leap forward in all aspects. I have learnt a lot from your mod. Thank you! Doesn't this give you the incentive to continue modding MTW ?
    Last edited by Leith; 08-12-2016 at 20:43. Reason: spelling

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Well done Axe !
    When I'm done modding some pieces & creating another that we so desperately need for our Ancients Mods ,
    I will install your Redux & give it a solid workout , then I will also know how you have made it so very challenging .
    cheers

Thanks guys, and thanks for posting - this place could use a little activity... Yan, thanks for the recognition, it is appreciated…

Leith!

You honour me… Using Redux as reference-work means you clearly found significance with it - beyond mere entertainment - much in the same way I once did with other major works that predates my own. Its full circle basically... Before I created Redux, I too studied the files and work of the major public mods available up to that point, MedMod (2005), BKB SupMod (2004) and XL(2007) - all the major stuff with a medieval theme. These works showed me what had been done up to that point, the how things could be done, and the way things should be done, and the mistakes one should avoid. I still credit them for general inspiration, to this day...

As for incentive and continuing modding MTW… I have no actual plans to quit as it is, as I have not completed/finished Redux the way I see it – I have merely released a bunch of consecutive WIP’s/betas. And I also plan to release RXB1006, later this year (with lots of new stuff, as usual). I just don’t visit (or bother with) the Org as much as I once used too. There are several reasons for it and we don’t need to get into that here. I am usually somewhat more active at the TWC....

Dimitrios!

If you have not tried Redux already, then you really should. After all, it is one of the most tested and celebrated mods out there for MTW - aren't you interested in exploring/discovering what all the fuss is about? On your own? ...Well, many have, and plenty also liked what they found. Redux is a different experience, its tougher and more unpredictable, diverse and complex, and the battles are (much) more lethal and brutal. Its not a continuation or further development of MTW but an alternative and new take on it. And, its designed for skilled and experienced players in mind primarily (thus the higher levels of challenge). Cater to that crowd for a change, unlike many other things done for MTW…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-16-2016 at 08:29.

Anyhow, it is high time we had another edition of them "old questions, new answers"
    -compilations. This time out of a RXB1005-perspective... Go!

======================================================

Q. Why should I try MTW-Redux?
    A. Because you want a different experience, Redux provides that, and then some.

Q. Why is Redux so hard?!?
    A. Redux is primarily designed with skilled or veteran players in mind. Its designs and generated experience usually reflects that, and thus it is significantly harder to master then raw/basic MTW (or close modifications of that).

Long answer…
    ---------------------
    Redux is not made to suit everyone, it has no such goals or intentions. If you want easy and safe wins, you play raw MTW, as simple as that - you hardly go to Redux for any such thing. You go to Redux because you want get away from all that and still keep that distinct battlefield-simulator experience. That said, there are still some easier and optional factions available in Redux that should enable average and inexperienced players to play and enjoy Redux despite all things. And some people seems to have selected to stick with optional RX-factions only, or lower difficulty settings, as to control or reduce the challenge-levels. This instead of going for the real deal, playing the regular RX-factions and at standard/veteran difficulty - the way Redux was meant to be played. The challenge can thus be tailored somewhat to better suit individual skill-levels. Increasing unit-size usually makes things a bit easier as well (just as it will in raw MTW)...

Q. Where are all the old troops from MTW?
    A. Nowhere, they were thrown out of Redux…. Redux has it’s own and more advanced troop-roster made from scratch (more detailed and diverse in qualities, ensuring more interesting and dynamic battles)…

Q. Why are there so few factions? I like loads of factions and more variety!
    A. In short, it creates a better and more functional game, and thus ultimately a better game-experience for you as the player of that game… Ironically a more diverse game as well, despite appearances…

Long answer…
    ---------------------
    There are several reasons for it. Experience shows that “fewer” factions means superior AI-performance in general and that each faction included in such circumstances can be made more distinct - thus have more actual meaning within the game. There are only so many ways to distinguish factions on the MTW-engine. Once we exceed the threshold of what the engine can handle in such regards - and the more we do it - each faction loses distinction. Essentially, it becomes an illusion of variety, more or less hollow. Making each faction more and more like copies of other factions. This is in direct conflict with the very concepts of actual diversity.

It is one thing so call something by a new name and quite another to actually have something that is something else due to individual and specific traits that distinguish it. Redux excels in these regards because of the fact that it has fewer factions. Each distinction and trait becomes more important because it is more effective and valid under such circumstances. Redux is made with the doctrine of quality in parts, not quantity. If quantity has to go in order to ensure quality by distinctions and functionality in factions - then so be it.

Besides, fewer factions ultimately mean stronger and thus more dangerous factions, making the overall game-experience and AI-performance more exiting and challenging anyways - even without the enhanced designs that Redux has in place for both AI and factions on this note. This in contrast to a broken functionality due to the weight of too many factions that the engine can’t successfully handle or separate anyways - resulting in regular AI-apathy and passivity (usually due to the lack of strength somehow). Thus we would get poor AI performance and less exiting and entertaining game-experiences because of it. For Redux, it was an easy choice and obviously it was made for the benefit of the player and the overall game-experience…

The irony here is that fewer factions, once properly designed, clearly offers more actual diversity and dynamics to a game then a multitude of factions does (which only offers increased levels of standardization - which in turn kills diversity and dynamics. Thus appearances deceive). It all boils down to this, variety or quantity…. As the reality is that the MTW-engine can’t have and handle both when it comes to factions. Redux has gone for variety to ensure quality in the game-experience...

Q. Where are the grand inquisitors and cardinals (and the others)?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux. They did not have enough purpose in the game to earn a spot in Redux, and thus were taken out of the game as redundant elements, because of it.

Q. Why is there no era-progression in Redux?
    A. It has a history of generating bugs. Besides, Redux is too cool to bother with any silly eras-progression…. Next question….

Q. Where are Malta and Rhodes?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux…. Next question….

Q. Where is Switzerland?! I want my Swiss armoured pikemen!
    A. Nowhere, it is not included in Redux…. Relax, pikemen in Redux is just as good or better in every aspect…. For optimal pikemen, play HRE or Italy….

Q. Where is the Turkish faction?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux, due to new and different designs…. The same came can be said of the Swiss, Sicilians, Novgorods, Golden Horde and Denmark. I did redesign the game all over and this is one of the results of all that. Next question….

Q. Are all landbridges removed in Redux?
    A. Many of them are… The only ones left are Denmark-Sweden, Cordoba-Morocco, Sicily-Naples, Sardinia-Corsica and Scotland-Ireland…

Q. Why are all generals, helmeted knights? (Norse – warriors?)
    A. That is part of the customization aspects of Redux. They are essentially numbered placeholders, ready to be changed at the player’s discretion, either by the pre-made stock-portraits done for Redux or something you done yourself. All stock-portraits are found in the included the “Redux Bonus Materials” - as is the instructions on how this is exactly done (and sets of backup placeholder-portraits are also included). Basically, players can at any time personalize their “fave” general(s) by selecting and applying such stock-portraits into the game, according to personal preference.

Q. Are the campaign-map changed? Any extra provinces in Redux?
    A. Yes, both the map, provinces and the connectivity between provinces has been re-drawn and changed all over. This to generate better circumstances, game-flow and AI-performance out of the game - all over. No additional extra-provinces have been added due to limitations of the v.1.1-engine. The raw tax-value of the Redux-map is 25.000 fl. MTW got about 32.000+ fl. in raw tax-value on the same amount of provinces. So, Redux has roughly 7000 fl. less assigned to it, every turn. You were not supposed to swim in florins anyways, at least not without having to work and fight for it. You know, florins are supposed to be precious somehow….

Ok, so much for this latest repeat of "old questions, new answers”…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-25-2016 at 22:25. Reason: Formatting...

Some of the wonderful things about Redux, which are often overlooked, are the weapons and shields. Not only do they look great but their co-ordinates are quite accurate. Tyberius' mod in my opinion represented a quantum leap when it comes to getting weapons and shields right especially in terms of getting their positions right in the soldiers' hands.

However, Axalon further corrects those positions almost to the point of perfection. It so happens that I'm working on modifying the ChainHelm bif in vanilla MTW, so I wanted to see what other modders did with this bif. I found out that only Redux got the sword fighting animation right, let alone the fact that the shields look far better than any other mod.

Long story short, this missive is meant to give Axalon some of the recognition he truely deserves as a modder and an artist, since I really think Redux is a work of art. Thank you, Axalon, for your great gift to the MTW community.
    Last edited by Leith; 08-29-2016 at 19:59.

Hello again Leith, and thanks...

Yup, I agree... The shield and weapon-calibrations of Redux are totally one of the many overlooked and unrecognized parts of the project. I worked hard and extensively on that stuff, cleaning up all those screwed up and weird original CA-files for all BIF-plates used in Redux. Continuously over several releases actually... All the same, none of this ever gets mentioned or recognized anywhere whenever people talk or post about the project. Why that is I don't know - to me the difference is pretty damn obvious, once you do look at the units fighting. In truth, I think you are the very first to ever mention this stuff and pointed it out in public - this since 2011 - when the first batch of this particular work was released. Imagine that... I am glad someone noticed! Finally!

While I am still babbling here - much of the other things I have done in especially in battle-mode are still unrecognized to this day. For instance the new and various bridge-textures, they too are pretty obvious, or the textures for all churches or war-machines etc. etc. All that stuff are hardly ever recognized or mention by people, if at all, and its hardly much doubt that all that look way better then all of their original counterparts - having higher resolutions, more details, better colors etc. Same thing goes for a bunch of unit BIF-plates too, no one ever mentions that... Or the original music I created for Redux... To this day, I don't think anyone have EVER bothered to comment on that music. Personally, I think it sounds pretty cool, and have a darker vibe to it then the original score, maybe its just me... My overall point being here that are a lot of things that hardly gets any recognition in Redux, so whenever someone like you comes along, and bothers to recognize and notice something that essentially all else have ignored - I'm obviously thankful for it! As for the art-part of things, I try my best (usually)...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 09-12-2016 at 20:46.

Folks…

I’m sitting here wondering if there are any active, old or previous Redux-players on “da Internetz” today that also use the steam-version? I don’t, so I can’t really produce the information I’m looking for here and I was hoping someone out there could help me on that note. I want to include a solid and simple guide on how to install Redux successfully on Steam and then put it in the RXB1006-ReadMe. Anyone that post up such a thing or seriously helps to that end - I will credit and get included in the Redux-credits list of future releases (starting with RXB1006). So, If you want a credit (or expand it) in Redux, here is your chance! Hopefully someone will find this magic offer simply irresistible!

Seriously, I appreciate any help on this matter. As I said, I don’t have a Steam-version so I could not do it even if I wanted too…

- A

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Hi Axalon,

I don't think there's any great mystery to installing to Steam versions beyond the usual 'make a new copy' rule - I had Beta Testers for Ancient 2 who used Steam and all worked ok based on the usual install instructions (the only problems came from resolution settings, ie don't use 800x600 if your system can do better....)

I'm looking forward to trying your mod as soon as I can clear the disc space
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Hi Mac and thanks for your input on this stuff,

Again, I know little about Steam and MTW as I don't have that combination myself. All I know is that it works just fine with Redux - as that is what people who do use Redux and Steam are telling me. I feared it would be much worse being steam and all, but it seems I am wrong on that note - thankfully...

As for trying Redux... I welcome anyone to give it a try and see if it is something for them. Some like it, some don't (less experienced players tend to think it is a bit too hard - then again it was not made for such players to begin with). Redux is not for all, and it was never made with such intentions. All the same, I do think that people should definitely try it and see for themselves what all the fuss is about. This of course goes for you too Mac... I can only hope you like the adventures it offers, but only you can tell for sure.

BTW, I have certainly had my eye one your stuff too - don't you dare think otherwise! However as a closed beta - its closed - as far as I can tell, so... I guess I will have too wait to release... On general terms I totally welcome that you and da boys are working on the ancient-project thou. Folks into MTW are easily better off with you guys around - working on creating yet more stuff for MTW with a bunch of new materials, settings and options... What's not to like? :D

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-29-2016 at 13:04.

Folks...

Today, its the 6th November... Time we had some update on RXB1006... So, lets have some... Princesses! Can it ever
    get more important?!? Even the greeks of old knew that it was important enough cause to start wars over!

:D

- A

They look fabulous, Axalon! Should we expect more eye-candy in the RXB1006 update? I certainly hope so!

Ax
    I gotta be brutally honest here .....
    they all are the same woman with different clothes , attire & makeup .

Hi and thanks for posting guys... I start with Leith...

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    They look fabulous, Axalon! Should we expect more eye-candy in the RXB1006 update? I certainly hope so!
    That is exactly the kind of reaction I am always hoping for whenever I do present or release something/anything in public! And I always like ‘em… Thank you Leith for kindly delivering just that, right here, on this note. Now, as for other/further eye-candy coming in RXB1006 - yup I totally think so… Is there anything special you had in mind? Or wanted more details/news on?

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrios the samian View Post
    I gotta be brutally honest here .....
    they all are the same woman with different clothes , attire & makeup .
    Short version...
    At the end of the day, I think these girls are good enough for public release, and better then the previous ones - thus I will include them as a part of RXB1006. Naturally, I am hoping that as many people as possible will like them and agree with me on that general assessment, but if they don't... Well, that is a shame - but it happens...

Long version...
    You are honest, there is value in that. Let me put it like this...

The way I have worked on this stuff is common practice within the game-industry. You develop a template or templates, and work out of those towards the numbers you need. MTW1 did it, MTW2 did it even more, and so have I. Its nothing strange with that practice. As it is, I won't be doing some roughly 250 new females all with distinctive faces, fully frontal, any time soon. I can understand what you are saying, its almost the same woman, but not quite. In reality "she" has a few minor/subtle face-variants actually, various eye-variants, and a few lip-variants, some complexions etc etc. Its all pretty subtle - standardized, and almost randomized in colours if you will.

However, to see all this you will have to look really close, into detail, to discover all that, and I don't expect you or other folks here to do that. People usually don't, so it can hardly be expected to be different this time around. And the portraits are pretty small to begin with. In my experience, it is typically the princesses/females that is held to the highest visual standards, and scrutinized the hardest – why that is, I don’t know.

I think it will be roughly 200 different (combinations that make up) princesses in RXB1006, and then some 50-ish copies to actually get a full set for the orthodox-culture (as it has only three colours to work with, there was not really much choice - Byzantine purple, Russian blue, default white). I doubt it’s a coincidence that Redux is probably the only major project for MTW1 that - to this day - has tried to offer serious alternative sets of portraits all over, including the princesses. This with actual original work done directly for the RX-project - not some copy & paste-stuff, overtly scavenged out of god knows where. Obviously created for a completely other context then where it has been applied – and that with little or no attempts at blending it properly, with the rest of the visual material for the project.

At any rate, this stuff will still form and offer a full alternative sets to those of us who truly wants that - instead of the original MTW sets of princesses. Me being one of those people, that for many years. Personally, I have never really or generally liked the MTW original portraits - including the princesses. Raw MTW works primarily with angles to build up quantity in portraits, usually 3-4 angles of the same portrait. I deliberately use colors instead, and this is extra visible on the princesses - all with a fixed frontal angle and a standardized background. Much to deliberatly eliminate the need for creating many distinct originals and parts. Its true that MTW1 do have more varied faces, by direct comparison, but those artists got paid for creating that, and they used 3D. I don't, this in both instances - thus I won't be doing that. Doing just these sets are ridiculously time-consuming already as it is...

At the end of the day, I think these girls are good enough for public release, and better then the previous ones - thus I will include them as a part of RXB1006. Naturally, I am hoping that as many people as possible will like them and agree with me on that general assessment, but if they don't... Well, that is a shame - but it happens...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-07-2016 at 16:39. Reason: Better English...

Hello Axalon! I was curious to learn more about what graphical improvement we would see in your next release and whether new or modified unit graphics might be considered for future releases. Thank you!

Hi again Leith and thanks for posting (as ever)...

Well... There will be several GFX-changes on units - which I personally would regard as improvements. It is all a matter of altered units basically, but there won't be any completely new units - as I don't work in 3D (Its simply not my thing, and I lack the patience for it). So all new unit-stuff for RXB1006, are altered units - and mostly its a matter of altering color-patterns. Some 12-13 unit-plates will be altered somehow out of the 36(?) existing ones. There will be changes/improvements in weapons or shields too, but not on that scale. So yeah, overall there will plenty of that stuff in RXB1006...

There will be plenty of other GFX beyond all that too. So the RXB1006 will be a massive upgrade in many ways, probably one of the biggest yet. Much of it is general polishing existing material further, but there will be plenty of new stuff too - as usual. Maybe I could do some screens on some units and post 'em up later - if there are any interest in that?

- A

Excellent news! I was not expecting completely new units. The way you modified some of the bifs, such as the original Viking bif, has been inspirational to me so much so that I decided to alter the Viking bif almost completely. Now I can change the hair, the pants' colour, the armour, the helm and the belt at will. It's these little graphical touches that I am looking for, e.g changing the Vikings' pants color from dark blue to yellow.

I'd welcome any screens you might share with us. Thank you in advance!

Alright... I'll try to do some screens later on...

- A

Folks, the RXB1006 is happening and its taking Redux to the next level... Get ready and grab your copy on the 16th...

- A

Members thankful for this post (2):

Exciting!

Excellent news indeed!

Looking forward to most definately playing Redux this time around .
    Well done Axalon.

Tomorrow's the day. Looking forward to seeing what Axalon has in store - and how much I need to redo any tweaks for personal use I've made over the years

Alright guys, while (unfortunately) delayed for several hours, here it finally is... The RXB1006... The links are live...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-17-2016 at 19:43. Reason: update

Members thankful for this post (3):

downloaded ! .....3rd time lucky .

Re-download & re-install RXB1006...

As usual, some (damned) errors find their way into my release, and the RXB1006 is no exception. While its good that I can spot some of that stuff on my own, it still creates some problems in general (as one could expect). Anyhow, as it has not even been a full week since the initial release - I am basically left was left with two choices... A). Create a new patch that 50% of people probably won't even bother downloading anyhow... B). Patch Redux myself and re-upload it and recommend people to re-download and re-install it to fix them errors permanently. I decided to go with the latter...

Thus, I fully recommend and request that ALL people that currently play, or plan to play, or have downloaded RXB1006 prior to Dec 22, please do re-download and then re-install it to fix the various small errors I already spotted/found within the initial release (made the 16th). The new release is fully save-game compatible with the previous RXB1006, and it won't break your current game, just improve and fix it. As it so close to the original and first release, I have not even bothered updating the version-number. The new uploads are already in place, and the links for them are live (see post: 1).

Here is a small list of the changes the new upload of RXB1006 will bring...

• Fixing the Nubian warriors...
    • Various glory shields corrected...
    • Lower upkeep on Muslim nobles…
    • Removing defect quickbattle files...
    • Thresholds for honour on all hero & champion (or similar) units adjusted...
    • Castle descriptions provided wrong stability numbers…
    • Muslim Princess-feature corrected (VI-versions only).
    • Deadpage coords updated (VI-versions only).

As a compensation for the inconvenience, I have also included...

• New design-document on castle-variables in RXB1006. (bonus materials)
    • Updated design document on stability in Redux. (bonus materials)
    • +6 new orthodox portraits for generals... (bonus materials)

- A

The customary notes to self...

Redux & 2016:
    Releases: RXB1006, RXB-VI1006... (released Dec 16, both patched Dec 22)
    Downloads RXB1006: 50+ (estimate)
    Downloads RXB1005: 800-1200 (estimate)
    Views in 2016: +29.000, this thread... (the TWC Redux-thread had +32.000 views)
    Posts in 2016: +33 & 15 where mine, this thread... (the TWC Redux-thread had 79 posts & 31 was mine).

Overall, I think the best thing that happened in 2016 for Redux - apart from the release of RXB1006 - was the re-organization of the Org-index, which includes Redux directly. It can not get a better spot then that - lets hope that this welcome change did not come too late, and that the Redux-area, and indeed the entire site can finally recover again from the past years disasters and mistreatment (of TW-games). It sure needs it, both Redux and the site... The worst thing that happened for Redux in 2016 was the regretful shutdown of the old GameFront - which caused problems and a mess in terms of getting any accurate statistics on downloads. Essentially it all went out the window after that, the best I can do at this point are rough estimates. Anyhow, in 2017, MTW will become 15 years old in August, while Redux will become 9 (also in August) - and I am still working on the damn thing...

Time sure flies.

- A

Alright folks,

I have updated post:1 - and for the first time since the summer of 2015, Redux has once again fully operational primary
    and reserve uploads ready for business. I also updated the install-emergency, and updated the debug-thread as well...

Once again... All who uses VI-/GOLD-/ERAS-/STEAM-versions to run Redux are hereby extremely recommended to
    once again re-download the new and updated RX VI-module, and apply it on top of the previous install. For a full details,
    go to the debug-area (post:133).

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 02-25-2017 at 15:47.

Member thankful for this post:

Axalon, congrats on the latest release and thanks for your hard work and (as always) your dedication to keeping things fresh. I've finally had a chance to fire up the latest version of Redux and start a campaign as my old standby, the Spanish. This time I am using Steam, since my good 'ol Windows XP rig died on me. :( First impressions: Steam and Redux seem to fit well together. It's very early in my campaign, but no crashes so far. However, I wonder if there's a way to slow down scrolling on the campaign map. I'm not sure if this a Windows 10 thing or a Steam thing, but my cursor just speeds across the map now and I'm hardly ever able to stop on a province when I need to...

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast