Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A case for the removal of the Augustan Reforms!

Exclamation A case for the removal of the Augustan Reforms!

Being a great fan of the Romans this is not something you might expect. Nevertheless I feel the imperial reforms must be removed. I will explain why.

EB2 will have about 10 new factions. These factions need troops. Every troop takes a unit slot. The unit limit has however not risen at the same ratio as the faction limit has. The Romans have 4 reforms and therefor use up a large amount of the unit limit. By removing the imperial reforms 7 unit slots are freed.

-Imperial legionary cohort
    -Praetorian cohort
    -Praetorian cavalry
    -Western auxillia
    -Eastern auxillia
    -Cavalry auxillia
    -Archer auxillia

These slots can then be used to create new interesting units for the new factions.

A second reason is that these troops are not necessary. The Imperial legionary cohort is basicly the same is the republic one. The Praetorians can only be recruited in Rome anyway. 2 Slots for a bodyguard is quite expensive. The auxillia can be replaced by local troops, gallic cavalry auxilla, syrian archers etc.

The third reason is that the reforms happend at the end of the timeframe and it also assumes that the transition from republic to empire was inevitable. With major reforms the republic might have survived.

The fourth and last reason is that only a few people reach these reforms.

I hope I won't be lynched for this.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Default Re: A case for the removal of the Augustan Reforms!

you traitor of the SPQR...

na JK... I don't know... I might loose interest to play with Rome... getting augustans is always an objective to me (though I haven't reached them so far )
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Seconded, never acheived the Imperials without editing EBBS.

Think of it this way: the world is a Roman zoo with animals waiting to be butchered. More animals means more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    Being a great fan of the Romans this is not something you might expect. Nevertheless I feel the imperial reforms must be removed. I will explain why.

EB2 will have about 10 new factions. These factions need troops. Every troop takes a unit slot. The unit limit has however not risen at the same ratio as the faction limit has. The Romans have 4 reforms and therefor use up a large amount of the unit limit. By removing the imperial reforms 7 unit slots are freed.

-Imperial legionary cohort
    -Praetorian cohort
    -Praetorian cavalry
    -Western auxillia
    -Eastern auxillia
    -Cavalry auxillia
    -Archer auxillia

These slots can then be used to create new interesting units for the new factions.

A second reason is that these troops are not necessary. The Imperial legionary cohort is basicly the same is the republic one. The Praetorians can only be recruited in Rome anyway. 2 Slots for a bodyguard is quite expensive. The auxillia can be replaced by local troops, gallic cavalry auxilla, syrian archers etc.

The third reason is that the reforms happend at the end of the timeframe and it also assumes that the transition from republic to empire was inevitable. With major reforms the republic might have survived.

The fourth and last reason is that only a few people reach these reforms.

I hope I won't be lynched for this.
    Seconded. Despite playing EB since 2006 or thereabouts, I have never made it to the imperial reforms... If we had unlimited unit slots would be great to have everything, however they seem to be unjustified given the resources taken for the amount of pleasure given. Much more fun would be more units for other factions (or even more for early Rome!) that everyone can enjoy from the get go. For what its worth from someone who does not actually help create the game.... but just plays it far too much...

Disagree. I'm a big fan of playing Romani; and have been able to get the Augustan reform once. Playing the new (admittedly big headed) units was a blast, and give a reward for continuing a long campaign.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

I'd be all for removing the Augustan reform, hell I've never even reached the Marian ones, never mind playing right down to 6AD.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by brymht View Post
    Disagree. I'm a big fan of playing Romani; and have been able to get the Augustan reform once. Playing the new (admittedly big headed) units was a blast, and give a reward for continuing a long campaign.
    You are right but Rome is not the only faction. To much resources are used up by Rome.

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

Hmmm... I'm all for re-skinning the imperial cohort, but no roman empire... seems almost sacreligious to me! A classical mod with no Imperator...
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

I'd rather they stay, but if there is no other alternative when factoring in the added factions...

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

I must agree with the OP. Considering that only a very few human players ever get them, and you might as well look for the sky to drop down if you think the AI ever could, it hardly seems economical (or fair) to keep them.

Default AW: A case for the removal of the Augustan Reforms!

I completely agree with Remco's position.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

remove praetorian cohort?! no way.....don't remove the praetorians..the others idc about

I too agree.

It's one thing I've always wondered about. For so much of the campaign your 'playing' the Romani as a Republic. The Republics goal was to maintain the Republic, not become an Empire.....anything but one man in total control (a King!)

Perhaps the threat of becoming an Empire could be worked into the Romani victory conditions as an ever present and increasing leap to defeat for the player, rather than a goal? How? I can't imagine.....

Cheers,

Quilts

Although I like the Romans and playing custom battles with Imperial units, I agree with the opinions showed here.
    Anyway, before removing a unit I would always think "have I completely filled any slot?", then if I need to add some units and I have no more space I will remove unnecessary ones.

However, the nasty thing in this is that I know some Italian fanboys who would get mad even by only hearing of this idea (for instance I did read also opinions of a modder who "dislikes" EB that would cast the worst deadly curses in the world to EB authors if he would notice that the holy-sacred-untouchable-mighty-superior-ubermenschlich-omg-i'm cumming-onlyreasonforallowingagameinthishistoricaltimetoexist-dreamy-ahweehmahweh Imperial legions have been removed), so I'm already imaging the flame wars...
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

People have already said that the EB team disregards or doesn't like or is hostile to the Roman faction. Which obviously is wrong, seeing the work that went into that faction.

I agree with the OP. And if people don't like the absence of imperial Rome, it can still be modded in, afterwards, by removing units from other factions (how likely is Rome to fight the Saka? honestly?).
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Connacht View Post
    Although I like the Romans and playing custom battles with Imperial units, I agree with the opinions showed here.
    Anyway, before removing a unit I would always think "have I completely filled any slot?", then if I need to add some units and I have no more space I will remove unnecessary ones.

However, the nasty thing in this is that I know some Italian fanboys who would get mad even by only hearing of this idea (for instance I did read also opinions of a modder who "dislikes" EB that would cast the worst deadly curses in the world to EB authors if he would notice that the holy-sacred-untouchable-mighty-superior-ubermenschlich-omg-i'm cumming-onlyreasonforallowingagameinthishistoricaltimetoexist-dreamy-ahweehmahweh Imperial legions have been removed), so I'm already imaging the flame wars...
    I was going to post it but I decided that it's more fun if I queried Google for my reply + 'definition'. See?

EDIT: And my reply wasn't the title you see there. <_<
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 08-12-2008 at 18:40.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Strategos/Strator Member Rodrico Stak's Avatar

I have to say I agree with the OP. Considering that I've never made it to the Marian reforms, let alone the Augustan reforms, I can safely say that I wouldn't notice anything, not really. And just from my experience, I think that most people will never see the Augustan reforms unless they start from the beginning with that goal in mind.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here actually reached the Augustan reforms?
    Attalos Pergamou Mysiakes, Strategos of the Arche Seleukia in Will of the Baselius (WoTB)

Ioannis Kommennos III, Strator of the Basileia Rhōmaiōn in Last of the Romans (LotR)

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Not me. The Gods know I tried, though. Many times. My 15 or so Romani games prove it.

Boredom always got me, though.
    Last edited by Warmaster Horus; 08-12-2008 at 20:10.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

its fun to use them in customs though... <.<
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

I have an idea, it might not actually work, or anything, but here goes:
    I'm not sure, but while the model limit has been reached, but the skin limit hasn't. if this is so (again, don't quote me), then we could reuse the model for the C. Evocata, but use different skins for C. Praetoriana and C. Imperitoria. likewise, we could use a different skin for E. Praetoriana for another Roman horse unit.

Just my 2 cent...

Very interesting argument, I have to say that I can't make a case against it. There really is no reason for the Augustan Reforms to be in this game (other than "because it looks nice") when 99% of gamers haven't even had (or ever will have) a campaign last that long. It truly is a waste of unit space that could be better used by other factions.

Exclamation Re: A case for the removal of the Augustan Reforms!

Quote Originally Posted by Che Roriniho View Post
    I have an idea, it might not actually work, or anything, but here goes:
    I'm not sure, but while the model limit has been reached, but the skin limit hasn't. if this is so (again, don't quote me), then we could reuse the model for the C. Evocata, but use different skins for C. Praetoriana and C. Imperitoria. likewise, we could use a different skin for E. Praetoriana for another Roman horse unit.

Just my 2 cent...
    THAT would be AWESOME everyone wins ...
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

It would be more benefitial to remove the imperial units and use them for other nations.

I think the fact that no EB team member has come in here and told us that this won't happen could perhaps mean that this will be the case, and the Augustun Reforms will be removed...
    -Parcere Subiectis et Debellare Superbos-

Quote Originally Posted by Turnus View Post
    I think the fact that no EB team member has come in here and told us that this won't happen could perhaps mean that this will be the case, and the Augustun Reforms will be removed...
    or they are thinking about it...
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

It may very well be too early to tell.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

To remove Augustan reforms and trade them for new units for new factions is an excellent idea!!! (otherwise why should we have new factions?) It is a matter of ballance - it has nothing to do with whether one likes the imperial units or the Roman Empire or not. Simply, given a certain number of unit slots and increased nuber of factions, it is only natural that some old units will have to go - and the augustans seems the most natural candidates for that, especially given the fact that they came so late in the game and that S.P.Q.R. have polybian and marian reforms already.

I think, however, that it will still be nice to leave the Imperator trait (and some nice ancillary maybe) in place and make it hereditial just for role-playing purposes.

As to the skins idea, I am afraid that it will not work, beacause the skins are defined by the faction ownership and here we would have two different skins for the same unit owned by the same faction, which is probably impossible.

I think, however, that it will still be nice to leave the Imperator trait
    Imperator? You mean the guy that has crushed a certain faction that will get a triumph-trait?

========

Also, I'm surprised about how much people are against the Augustan reforms here.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Imperator? You mean the guy that has crushed a certain faction that will get a triumph-trait?

========

Also, I'm surprised about how much people are against the Augustan reforms here.
    Why? To be brutally honest and blunt, they are useless. No offence to the creators of them, they are great units, but the system EB has set up for them completely negates their even being in the mod. Its the same argument the team uses for not having LS, ie it only appears around 9 BC. Well Augustus did his reforms two decades before that? For a whopping 20 years you should have Imperial legionaries. Not a viable unit imo.
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast