Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Default Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Default AW: Poll: Should the be removed?

i think they are more or less useless, cause the Marian Reforms give you everything, what you need for a great empire, the praetorian units are only recruitable in rome and at the time you get the Augustan Reforms your empire is so big that the transport of the praetorian units would take you several seasons till you get them to the outer regions of your empire. in my opinion these slots should used for some other units, pherhaps some new units for KH, like special hoplites for athenai or something like that

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Poll: Should the be removed?

No they should not be removed. If my Consul overthrows the Republic and becomes Emperor I want him to be able to push the Marian reforms through that necessary stage to further professionalise and Centralise the army. They are necessary in order for me to do that.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Default Re: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Yes, they should be removed. Any decent Senator with a mind to the Republic would do his utmost to avoid that much power falling into the hands of one person.

The selfishly motivated civil war/s that led to such desperate measures being necessary may not have occured had 'good men done something' when it was needed ie- about the time they were forming the first triumvirate.....maybe.....

Cheers,

Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post
    i think they are more or less useless, cause the Marian Reforms give you everything, what you need for a great empire, the praetorian units are only recruitable in rome and at the time you get the Augustan Reforms your empire is so big that the transport of the praetorian units would take you several seasons till you get them to the outer regions of your empire. in my opinion these slots should used for some other units, pherhaps some new units for KH, like special hoplites for athenai or something like that
    i agree with ur post put not all units should go to KH .
    some to other new factions ...
    lets wait for the new factions to come and then decide.
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Out with them.

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

At least, if no new units, make a governmental reform with the imperator trait, and amici imperatore, Caesares, Augusti and all thee other post-imerial jobs
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

maybe if the time restriction is taken out it will be easier to atain them ... cause many of us have gotten perfect candidates for augustans but we are missing several -a lot - of years to get them and before it's time, our augustus is dead <.<
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 08-19-2008 at 03:06.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Yes, when the only difference between Marian and Imperial legionaries are the skins used, it's a waste of slots.

Besides it's pretty rare anyone actually gets to them legitimately, without modding stuff to make it so.

IMO the game shouldn't run as late as 14AD anyway...
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

It would be a shame to see them go, but their unit slots will be used up by units that will have more uses than just "being in the game"...

It is fun to have them but really not worth using up limited space that can be put to better use.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Well, in a perfect world, we could have unlimited unit slots, but, alas, you can't have it all!

So I think they could be sacrificed.

Exclamation Re: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

The unit slots could be used for a much better purpose than to further promote a single faction which has already received more than enough attention. Besides, you don't necessarily need new skins for the Augustan Reforms.

At least, if no new units, make a governmental reform with the imperator trait, and amici imperatore, Caesares, Augusti and all thee other post-imerial jobs

It seems that most people want the Imperial Reforms removed in favor of other factions. Is there an official opinion from the EB Team or is it to early to tell?

Default AW: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

All Roman reforms are under inspection and will see this or that changes. A final decision on the Imperial Reforms has not been made so far but the topic is already on the table. It is obvious that the Marian-Imperial pool might be candidat to cut out units if free slots would be needed, but we are still to early in the process of creating units to say anything in that direction. Each unit had do be done new from scratch and making units for M2TW takes way longer than it does for RTW.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

No they should not be removed. They form part of EB's historical background, even if few people generally play long enough to trigger these reforms. In my current campaign, thats my main goal, but it is a long long way, its 184 BCE.

Cheers.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

if EB team really claim that they are following historical accuracy no they should not be....
    but the reforms may be easier to get for example holding 45 province may trigger Marian reforms while holding 80 or 90 provinces directly opens the way of augustan reforms.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Honestly, the game gets unhistorical by 200 B.C. so I figure the game should just be cut to 27 B.C. and the imperial reforms and units removed. Its dissapointing to hear that some units could not be added due to unit limit and here is the "imperial units" which were only historically used for the last 31 years of the game. So basically, make the end 27 B.C. get rid of the imperial units and i am sure everyone will enjoy the units that fill those spots, whatever faction they may be.

Also, for the imperiator trait, could that be part of the victory requirements? Like "have all these settlements, and a faction leader with imperiator"?

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

No, some people don´t want an Imperator. Or at least, the choice not go get one exists right now, I don´t see why we should remove it.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    No, some people don´t want an Imperator. Or at least, the choice not go get one exists right now, I don´t see why we should remove it.
    Wait I am confused at what you are trying to say in your second sentence. I am just saying that because the majority seem to want the imperial reforms and units gone, we might as well make the imperator trait a victory condition or its basically pointless as there wont be any transition to empire in the first place.

Well, the option to keep a republic should be left, I believe. But maybe you´d have to meet certain conditions to keep the republic as well, a certain amount of stability or something. I don´t know, sounds very difficult to accurately represent.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Well, the option to keep a republic should be left, I believe. But maybe you´d have to meet certain conditions to keep the republic as well, a certain amount of stability or something. I don´t know, sounds very difficult to accurately represent.
    Well we could just make the E.B. timeline entirely during the Republic's time. If we are getting rid of the reforms and units, we should just get rid of the imperator trait as well and make the end time 27 B.C. so there is no transition to empire period. Theres not a difference between how you control Romani if its a republic or empire, so lets just cut out the entire empire part.

Well, unless it´s a really big work with scripts and all I don´t see why. It´s not like the transition to Empire occupies any limited slots, so why not keep it as a nice little bonus for Romani players making it that far, now that we´re (possibly) removing the biggest bonus for making it there.
    The Appomination

Well, unless it´s a really big work with scripts and all I don´t see why. It´s not like the transition to Empire occupies any limited slots, so why not keep it as a nice little bonus for Romani players making it that far, now that we´re (possibly) removing the biggest bonus for making it there.
    But my point is why should we keep the empire transition if we are going to take out the units? Its kind of pointless to transition to the empire if there are no empire units.

But it´s a nice feature that doesn´t really detract from anything. If it doesn´t get in the way for anything else, is considered historically accurate and is indeed optional, then why the hell wouldn´t we have it?
    The Appomination

IMO the camillan ones should be removed also.
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs View Post
    Not so sure about that. It's arguable that they might have still been around at the start of the game, and getting the Polybian reforms is something to work towards. Balance-wise, that would make the Romani game even easier than it already is.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

I share Quintus' feelings regarding the Camillan era units. Using them for a good 30 years before the Polybian reforms gives you a 'feel' for the Roman way of war, and it's all the more satisfying when you reach the Polybian reforms and see how your army has evolved.

As for the Imperial units, in my 2+ years playing EB I've never once reached them. Maybe that's a weakness on my part, but I just never felt the drive to play so long to get new units that I'd be able to use for a short period of time (compared to other reform units) and with how the ai progresses there'd probably only 3 or 4 factions I could use them against.

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs View Post
    Definitely not. Everything was vastly different before the Polybian reforms and it is utterly necessary to show this.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

If removing the Augustan reforms will give the Romans more new units, then I agree. The Romans may have tons of units, but I am in the opinion that During the Polybian and especially Marian eras there is simply not enough unit variety. I really hope EB II will give the Romans more units. During the Marian and Polybian era, the only missile unit are the Velites. Now I know the Romans did not think highly of missiles, but there is got to be a missile unit (slingers or archers) out there there that you could give to the Romans for a bit of game balance.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 08-24-2008 at 17:59.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

The Romans currently have more units than any other faction, and if you need archers/slingers there are always plenty of auxiliaries, so if the Imperial reforms were taken out (which IMHO they should be) the slots should be given to the ten new factions.
    Last edited by Strategos Alexandros; 08-24-2008 at 19:50.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast