Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Default Re: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

No, the marian legionnaires are actually a load of polybian principes. They certainly aren't hastati.

If it has the same unit name then it is the same unit, regardless of what shield design it has. Each unit is assigned a model and each model as 22 different texture paths (each faction, slave and merc).

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

I think I remember reading that statwise the marian legionaries are the same as polybian hastatii , and that they are inferior to polybian princeps one vs one... but they overcome this problem by being more of them in a same unit (160 princeps/ 200 legionaries)
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

yea thats wt i meant ^^; and also the reason y i hated the marian reforms... I never field more than 3 armies as Romani no matter what, so they tend to be really experianced too (i only merge, yes it takes a lot of battles...) therefore, it simply drives me nuts that i have train these buggers from ground up, n they're much harder to toughen up cuz stat-wise they're equal to the polybian hastati...

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Have you guys checked the stats? I mean seriously, do just mouth off without checking the facts. Principes have 2 higher armour, buts all they are better in. mental_stat they are worse. Formation they are worse. And the legionnaires are better than hastati in at least three different areas. mental_stat, armour and formation. So wtf?! Reformata are Principes minus 2 points of armour, plus better morale.

Code:
    ;238
    type             roman infantry hastati
    dictionary       roman_infantry_hastati      ; Hastati
    category         infantry
    class            light
    voice_type       General_1
    soldier          roman_infantry_hastati_principes, 40, 0, 1.15
    officer          ebofficer_roman_early_centurion
    officer          ebofficer_roman_early_standard
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy
    formation        1, 2, 2, 3, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_pri         4, 4, pilum, 35, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 15 ,1
    stat_pri_attr    prec, thrown, ap
    stat_sec         11, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 0 ,0.13
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  9, 9, 4, flesh
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        3
    stat_ground      0, 0, -1, -3
    stat_mental      13, disciplined, trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 1066, 267, 50, 70, 1066
    ownership        seleucid, slave

;241
    type             roman infantry legionary cohort i
    dictionary       roman_infantry_legionary_cohort_i      ; Cohortes Reformata
    class            heavy
    soldier          roman_infantry_cohorsreformata, 50, 0, 1.18
    officer          ebofficer_roman_centurion
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy
    formation        1, 2, 2, 3, 5, square, testudo
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  10, 8, 4, metal
    stat_heat        4
    stat_ground      0, 0, -2, -2
    stat_mental      14, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 1790, 448, 100, 160, 1790

;247
    type             roman infantry principes
    dictionary       roman_infantry_principes      ; Principes
    class            heavy
    soldier          roman_infantry_hastati_principes, 40, 0, 1.18
    officer          ebofficer_roman_early_centurion
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, mercenary_unit, hardy
    formation        1, 2, 2, 3, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  12, 8, 4, metal
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      0, 0, -2, -3
    stat_mental      13, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 1185, 296, 50, 80, 1185
    Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

but they die like flies when compared to my polybian troops by the time the reform pops in...it usually takes more than 30 years for me to fully 'upgrade' my legions with marian troops...it's a sad sight to see my silver 2 chev principes being phased out... =[ I dun retrain, so it takes a bloody long time for my legions to gain experience...

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

What the...? Why do Camillian Hastati and Principes have the same morale?!? That cannot be accurate! Hastati were the younger, poorer (although richer than the Accensi, Leves, or Rorari), and less experienced recruits, compared to the older, wealthier, and veteran Principes.

not really, during that period, what you fight as really just depends on what you can afford =/

Firstly, its polybian hastati and principes, secondly they don't have the same morale. Principes are highly_trained and Hastati are simply trained. Why do people jump to conclusions? If you don't understand the ins and outs of the stating system its really difficult to comprehend what is going on and how that effects the units in the game.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

I do understand that "highly_trained" means that they will lose morale slower and regain it faster than "trained", but shouldn't the Principes also start out with higher morale?

I stated that 1vs1 a polybian principii would beat a legionaire... and moral doesn't matter in that case, does it?

still legionaires are better overall as a unit than princeps...

but casualty wise I think you would loose more legionaires than princeps given the fact that they have lower armor. (all of this before routing, legionaires are harder to rout...)
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

You also said that "statwise the marian legionaries are the same as polybian hastatii", which is blatantly false if one actually takes the time to check facts. But its so much easier to go with the rest of the crowd and complain about the stats for roman units.

As for armour, we work off a very strict table. If the reformata lose a bit of equipment that would offer them an armour bonus compare to the principes then that will show up. If the reformata are equipped with armour that is of a lower quality or quantity then its not something that can be blamed on us, blame the historical marian reforms.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Default AW: Re: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    I do understand that "highly_trained" means that they will lose morale slower and regain it faster than "trained", but shouldn't the Principes also start out with higher morale?
    No. Green troops are often more eager to fight than blooded ones, in particular when talking of not professional soldiers.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

well I did say "if I remember"... I appologize still, I didn't had the stats at hand at that moment.

and at no moment I complained , I'm sorry if it seems as if I had , I understand the reasons of that decision, and in no way I blame the EB team...

Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

That's right, I am THAT greedy.
    That's right, you-

Actually, I have changed my opinion by now and I do agree that the Augustan reforms should be removed, regardless of whether it'll benefit the Romani or not.
    Wait, what?

Blergh, at whom shall I shout now, then?
    I has two balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    It would be a shame to see them go, but their unit slots will be used up by units that will have more uses than just "being in the game"...

It is fun to have them but really not worth using up limited space that can be put to better use.
    I agree with this guy.

EDIT : doh!, I forgot I have already voted!!!!!
    Last edited by Aper; 09-09-2008 at 22:26.
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    I want to make this absolutely clear. This thread is entirely speculation from fans and there is no official position from the team on this. Do not confuse lots of posts with what will occur in EBII.

Foot
    Seriously Foot, is this poll even making an impact on the decision of the EB team? Because if they feel that removing the Augustian Reforms would be unhistorical, then I see little reason why they would remove it, even if the fans are 54% to 36% in favor of removing the reforms for more troop variety in the ten new factions.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    ... is this poll even making an impact on the decision of the EB team?
    It's useful for us to know what EB players think, but often a decision on an issue depends on considerations that only the development team is aware of. That means these discussions often completely miss the point.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Actually, the differences between the units in the Roman Army are rather small. Generally, EB unit stat system is good, although completely not designed to work properly with experience bonuses, but in this case there are some things which just don't seem right.

Let's just analyze two essential units in Polybian army - hastati and principes. Principes have 3 armor points more (+), tire quickier (heat 5 vs 3) and are worse in forests (-2 vs -1 penalty... It hardly means anything, but anyway...). They are also "highly_trained", while hastati are "trained", which means that princeps have a little better formation. However, there are no changes to discipline (both are "disciplined") or morale (both have 13). There are no changes to attack or lethality (11 and 0.13), either. Also, cost is almost the same (1185 vs 1066). Some of those things are strange. Principes are supposed to be experienced soldiers, while hastati should be young and unexperienced. It's not very evident in their stats.

Cohortes Reformata are more or less fine, mostly because they have more men in the unit (200 vs 160). It's quite a difference, which makes lack of significant changes in other stats (attack, lethality) and worse armor (12 vs 10) "not that hard" to swallow. There is also a small morale bonus (+1), which is always nice. However, they cost much more (1790 vs 1185) and you could argue that principes are more cost efficient.

Hopefully, the situation will improve in EB2.

Not to restart the previous discussion of the current unit stats, but to get back to the original point, has the EB team decided one way or another about whether they will remove the Augustan reforms?

I totally forgot about this thread, and now I am immensely interested if the EB team has made a decision or not after 2 months.

We have a great deal of work to do and there is no pressing reason for us to consider the issue yet. Aside from a very brief and inconclusive discussion among the Romani team members, we really haven't thought about it. We could conceivably release a beta before there is any need to make a decision on this subject.
    Last edited by Atilius; 11-30-2008 at 08:36.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Thumbs up Re: Poll: Should the Augustan Reforms be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius
    We have a great deal of work to do and there is no pressing reason for us to consider the issue yet. Aside a very brief and inconclusive discussion among the Romani team members, we really haven't thought about it. We could conceivably release a beta before there is any need to make a decision on this subject.
    That's right, Atilius. Don't let those guys bother you, or influence any decisions the EB Team may make. Do whatever you deem fit.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I always felt that it was too hard to get and when you did it, it was too abupt. Perhaps you should model some sort of instability in the Republic via a series of event triggers(Pop-up a couple of 'This man is becoming too powerful' warnings each time becoming more urgent sounding) that would logically lead up to the 'council of nobles'/Senate giving you a mission to assassinate the offender or risk the whole empire falling apart. When this happens, give him a trait that basically makes him easier to assassinate(or tack on this 'bonus' to the 'seize power' trait or whatever it is.

This would give you the following options:
    - Preserving the Republic by killing him. This lets you keep the game as is.

- Send him to Rome. This represents the Caesar/Sulla route. I'm curious as to whether or not you could make everything in Italy go rebel and spawn a few large stacks when the guy crosses the Rubicon or whatever. If not, you could just set the recruitment pool in Italy to zero and spawn a few large stacks. This would pretty much do the same thing and I know this is doable since Stainless Steel messes with pools and you guys made that Boli script. Plus it would depict him being welcomed by the people but not those in power.

- Do nothing and let the mission expire. This represents a full scale and protracted civil war. This causes happiness to slowly drop in Romanized Provinces where there are members of other Roman families. You might want to set the movement of these guys if they are in cities to zero as well as set the recruitment pool to zero in those places. Still trigger the Italian armies when the guy enters Italy. Terminate script when he gets to Rome.

Not sure how historical that is but it would be pretty sweet to see.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 11-30-2008 at 16:24.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can't assassinate your own generals in M2tw.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

That's too bad, it is a little gamey if you have to suicide him against some pikes.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I don't play M2TW too often, so I'm not too aquainted with its triggers, but how's this: He goes to Rome no matter what, and you somehow get the option to support him or resist him (by gathering an army in the provinces, ala Brutus & Cassius).

However, I completely oppose any new units that would come from this reform. Rome takes enough unit slots as it is.

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

mmh i agree on one premise, other factions would have to have this too, for example a character with low loyalty and high influence and a king with low authority and influence, you can then choose to support them

Nice.

Let this thread die for another couple months before bringing it back.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 12-02-2008 at 08:47. Reason: lol edit!

Prefect of Judea (former) Member Pontius Pilate's Avatar

one last thing. I think the Augustan Reforms should be in the game if the team still decides to have the start and end dates still 272BC-14AD, because for the simple reason that the reforms were used in this time period. The roman republic didn't last until 14AD. If the start and end dates change, then I can see a reasonably reason to exclude the imperial troops. I don't think the Camillian troops should be removed though, because that would seriously reduce the Romani's factional troop selection by too much. and if the imperial units were to be removed, which faction would get the unit slots?
    SPQR SPQR

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    LS is the best! LS is the best! Come on people sing along!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast