Thread: The Day of MW2 is coming to an End, What will we do?

Default The Day of MW2 is coming to an End, What will we do?

I am sure many of you have heard of the next installment of the total war series; Total War: Empires. This is of course Napoleonic time period and it looks fantastic, amazing even, that being said I had a few questions.

1. With the period in which the mod is moving along, I wonder if it will be completed long before Total War Empires?

2. If the mod is not completed by the release of Total war empires, will the mod be transfered over to that game if necessary.

3. And if question 1 and 2 cannot be answered, perhaps we can an idea on when a beta might be released.

I am sorry for asking these questions but I've been in quite the Warhammer mood lately, especially with the soon release of Warhammer online, Please respond soon.

With a Sword in one hand, and a Pistol in the other, my regards to the Glorious warhammer mod.

Your adoring Witch Hunter fan.
    Naj

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Default Re: The Day of MW2 is coming to an End, What will we do?

Um, I can't answer for the team, but I'll give a plausible answer: they'll keep working on the M2TW engine.
    First, the day of MW2 is not yet finished. Look at the other TW games, RTW, MTW and even STW! Plenty of people play those. And think of the folks who won't be able to play E:TW because of technical issues? They'll stay with the other games of the series.
    Secondly, E:TW is a new engine, which means modding it will start slow, since we'll probably have to learn the intricacies of the new engine. They say 10 playable factions, but can we enable the 40 others? We don't know, and that's just one example.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Ah well that answers a few questions, I know I may not be a top poster, but I try to bring in my two cents, seeing that I've bee watching this mod for a good year now. I hate to say the fact that I'm being a skeptic here, but I only hope that the Beta will be released soon.

I've been watching this mod for a long time too. But it's just a matter of patience. Take EB. The project started 5 years ago, and they've only released 1.0 10 months or so ago.
    Of course, remember that I've no idea what the team'll do. I just think it will be easier to keep working on M2TW than stopping for 6 months and then slowly starting.
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

M"TW has almost the graphics of empire. What I would do is finish the mod for medieval and then export files to Empire.

well empire total war isn cooming up until february and it will be quite the same as medieval so you dont have to worry about it i think the mod will have a great development if the team works hard maybe the mod will be released sooner than empire

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

I play EB for Rome:Total War far more than I play Medieval II vanilla. It just goes to show the difference a mod can make for a game.

I don't think MW2 will die when Empire comes out. I don't think even ROME will die. Shogun and Medieval 1 died because they are un-moddable and are not really supported by CA anymore. And hell, I still play them every now and then.

The only "Total War" game to go and be forgotten was Spartan: Total Warrior, haha.

Believe me Krazysigmarite, MTW and STW are still played. They sure aren't dead. I know of a guy who'd been playing RTW for some time, but completed his first campaign on STW.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

its never a simple exsport when it comes to a new game the stats will all be different, sure you will have all the models but none of the code.
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

in my long experience of the modding community the thing most likely to kill a good mod is desire to shift to the latest platform with its new abilities and eye-candy.

the learning curve of two or three different platforms saps the interest of even the keenest modders.

one of the saddest events i recall was the decision to move Wheel Of Time: Total War from M:TW to R:TW.

so much work had been done, and a release was possible but contributions dried up after the shift.

if W:TW can be achieved on M2:TW then do it and don't stop until its done.

The Empire total war will win over many total war fans like me but
    there are still many more people than there normally are that refuse
    to buy it, for reasons like they fear of the bugs that they had to deal
    with in M2TW or they don''t like the idea of replacing the melee with
    range priority (even with CA reassuring every1 with a more melee dependence
    than ranged, which I don't like in Napoleonic era).
    I'm probably going to give up on w8ing for this mod to be released. At the rate
    this is going (1 detailed orc head in 3+ months) then I could bet that this will
    be released around the time that the TW after Empire is released. Sry that
    I don't have much spirit for supporting this anymore..

Personally I don't care if E:TW is going to be the ultimate total war expirience and stuff...I just want to play a total war game based on warhammer...

Is not about the system, is about the history and the image of the game...

They're out there great old games that still have their fans, like Starcraft or even Warcraft 2, Age of Empires 2, etc...

I also play a lot RTW, even when M2TW has lot more to offer...they aren't the same game, so I see them like different games.

Keep on the great work boyz!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still play M:TW and have about six different mod versions installed, which is more than can be said for R:TW and M2:TW.

If you have confidence in your mod then just go ahead and make it, if you do not then you will look for ways to market it, i.e. running on the latest TW game platform.

It is unlikely that a mod sill survive a second platform jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculu5 View Post
    It is unlikely that a mod sill survive a second platform jump.
    Second? The mod for RTW is/was not made by the same team, so this mod is not really a sequel to the first mod.

If I recall right, Bwian did some warhammer models for RTW just for fun, when Warhammer: Total War (RTW) was still active. A while after M2TW came out, and the WH mod for RTW died, Bwian started his own Warhammer mod.

But anyway, that was not your point, but I just had to point it out ;) I agree anyway, I don't think porting to Empire would be a good idea for any mod really. It took like MONTH before you could even change the stats for the units when M2TW came out.
    Last edited by Zapp; 09-01-2008 at 14:01.

I don't see the point of worrying about Empire. There won't be much in the way of actual engine changes to the way the gameplay works, and as this is a total conversion, no-one will really notice the difference, even if you did port it.

Sargon, CA said they were using a new engine. Therefore things will be different.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

From a graphical and technical perspective, they are using a new engine, however I suspect the actual game mechanics will remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
    From a graphical and technical perspective, they are using a new engine, however I suspect the actual game mechanics will remain the same.
    Maybe, but it still took months before any real modding could be done for M2TW, even though it was the same engine as RTW.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

The Day of MW2 is coming to an End, What will we do?
    Go to sleep and wake up tommorow?
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Quote: The Day of MW2 is coming to an End, What will we do?

Throw ourselves from a seventh floor.
    Revan Shan / Mayorcete / Teuton Arrasador

Miguelito Productions' views:
    The best vids in YOUTUBE!
    Miguelito Productions supports:
    SWGEmu / Warhammer Total War / MERP (Middle-Earth Role Playing for oblivion (The Elder Scrolls IV) / Shattered Lineage, for Oblivion

There'll be another WHTW for Empire, whatever happens, even if it's not this team making it.

And I'll still be slogging to make the RTW one
    And these guys will still be making the M2TW one
    And the sun will rise
    And the sun will set
    And you learn how to settle for what you get...
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

I would re-install Shogun if a capable Warhammer mod was released for it.
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Member Member Garland, Chosen of Horo's Avatar

MTW2 isn't ending anytime soon. Hell, even the original MTW and STW are still played frequently.

And there's no reason whatsoever to make a Warhammer mod for STW. Older engine, and the setting is entirely different. The RTW engine and it's MTW2 successor seem custom tailored for a Warhammer TC - a little bit of working on the Europe map and you have a spot on representation of the Old World, and MTW2's Americas can easily be modified into Ulthuan and Naggaroth. We don't know how Empires will fare yet, so let's not make assumptions. Or else I might stitch a quilt out of your faces.

Gets cold up here.
    DESTRUCTION and apples IN THE NAME OF THE WOLF GODDESS OF CHAOS!