Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Megan's Law is unconstitutional

Gentis Daciae Member Cronos Impera's Avatar

Default Re: Megan's Law is unconstitutional

I think the best sexual laws ware the medieval ones.
    If liberal sex is so dagerous for girls and young boys let's just revert to that simple law.

Any emotional or sexual ties between men and women should be forbidden and we should multiply based on a sperm bank and a random lottery for the artificial insemination procedure. Than have the resulting baby raised in foster homes manned by qualified personnel.

And every kind of sex (consented or not) be banned and punishable for both culprits. It is as simple as that.
    No more Women's Rights Groups demanding sanctions against male sexual behaviour, no more incest, divorces, domestic violence or custody hearings. The world would become a better, safer world.
    " If you don't want me, I want you! Alexandru Lapusneanul"
    "They are a stupid mob, but neverless they are a mob! Alexandru Lapusneanul"

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Meghan's Law isn't so much a "punishment" as a recognition of the fact that violent sexual offenders cannot be cured, but our laws only allow us to hold them for so long.

Strike, I applaud your Rene Descartes-esque questioning of the assumed absolute. I also applaud your empathy and desire to protect the defenseless. But in order to advance to the next level, you have to start making sound, rational arguments in your own defense, not just advocate "the world according to Strike".

First: Your premise... that Meghan's Law is unconstitutional is patently false. From the pragmatic viewpoint, don't you think some of the more left-leaning federal courts of appeal would have made that argument already, given half a chance? From the legal, the idea of conditional probation/release is well documented, and the conditions, when challenged, have frequently been found to be within the boundaries of the constitution. In order for you to claim 'cruel and unusual punishment', you have to demonstrate how the system of notification is an undue burden which serves to further punish the offender, not indirectly, as a consequence, but directly, as an intent. As the law is specficially written to state it is to allow law enforcement to notify parents of dangerous sex offenders living in their proximity, at best, the bad press for the rapist/murderer is a side-effect.

Second: The whole "does an 18 year old deserve to be branded a sex offender for boinking a 15 year old?" question... it is a red herring, as it is a question of the peculariaties of statuatory rape, not meghan's law directly. We can argue about changing the definition of habitual sex offender, but that matters not in terms of discussing what is to be done with said beast.

You're clearly learning the rights of the individual rather well. Bravo. Now it's time for you to start considering the responsibilities of a society. At some level, society has a duty to protect its members from the likes of John Couey and Richard Allen Davis, both of whom had previous conviction records for sexual offenses before raping and murdering Jessica Lunford and Polly Klaas, respectively.

Finally, let me speak a word to you about what will happen to you if God ever graces you with the ultimate gift of a daughter or a son. Every movie, every televsion show, every news article you come across.... every thing you now read and view with detachment.... they will invade your thoughts and you will know fear and dread as you have never known. It won't happen often, but there will come moments at the mall, at the airport, at the playground, when you'll look around and you'll realize that there is most likely a child predator within eyesight that has just assessed your daughter (or son) as a possible victim. Your blood will run cold, you will clutch your child closer, and you will be deeply thankful for things like Meghan's law, where at least you have some hope of knowing the evil's you face. Semper vigilans, the price of parenthood.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 09-02-2008 at 22:34.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

White Panther (Legalize Weed!) Member AlexanderSextus's Avatar

But it is not unconstitutional. If you commit a crime, you lose some of your constitutional rights. Don't like it? Don't rape a kid, murder someone,etc.....[/QUOTE]

.....or smoke a little weed, because we all know that makes you a horrible person who doesnt deserve rights...

yeah i know that has nothing to do with sex offenders... but in some states, (like mine) marijuana offenses are treated harsher than sex offenses.

my point is that under the doctrine proposed in the Constitution and the DOI, your rights are not given to you by the constitution or the government. They are yours from birth, the constitution just confirms that the government cant infringe on them. They cant take them from you either, unless you contract them away.
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Got to say that I don't agree with Strike on this one.

In my book sex crimes have got to be in the top 10 worst crimes and if you choose to commit these crimes, and you do have to make that choice its not forced on you, then you need to live with the consequences.

Saying that I do think that we need to rethink the punishments for all crimes in this country, you can get a worse punishment for driving while talking on your phone than some people get for murder, and if you're on drugs the chnaces are you'll get away with some treatment, this is why I'm considering applying to be a magistrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra View Post
    you can get a worse punishment for driving while talking on your phone than some people get for murder
    If you kill someone because you were on your mobile whilst driving it is murder, or at least manslaughter.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderSextus View Post
    But it is not unconstitutional. If you commit a crime, you lose some of your constitutional rights. Don't like it? Don't rape a kid, murder someone,etc.....
    .....or smoke a little weed, because we all know that makes you a horrible person who doesnt deserve rights...

yeah i know that has nothing to do with sex offenders... but in some states, (like mine) marijuana offenses are treated harsher than sex offenses.

my point is that under the doctrine proposed in the Constitution and the DOI, your rights are not given to you by the constitution or the government. They are yours from birth, the constitution just confirms that the government cant infringe on them. They cant take them from you either, unless you contract them away.

Good Point Alexander, But I'm just saying. If you screw up in life, you lose some rights, that's your punishment. If you Don't Screw up, then nothing to fear, correct ?
    Last edited by ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88; 09-03-2008 at 15:02.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Meghan's Law isn't so much a "punishment" as a recognition of the fact that violent sexual offenders cannot be cured, but our laws only allow us to hold them for so long.

Strike, I applaud your Rene Descartes-esque questioning of the assumed absolute. I also applaud your empathy and desire to protect the defenseless. But in order to advance to the next level, you have to start making sound, rational arguments in your own defense, not just advocate "the world according to Strike".

First: Your premise... that Meghan's Law is unconstitutional is patently false. From the pragmatic viewpoint, don't you think some of the more left-leaning federal courts of appeal would have made that argument already, given half a chance? From the legal, the idea of conditional probation/release is well documented, and the conditions, when challenged, have frequently been found to be within the boundaries of the constitution. In order for you to claim 'cruel and unusual punishment', you have to demonstrate how the system of notification is an undue burden which serves to further punish the offender, not indirectly, as a consequence, but directly, as an intent. As the law is specficially written to state it is to allow law enforcement to notify parents of dangerous sex offenders living in their proximity, at best, the bad press for the rapist/murderer is a side-effect.

You're clearly learning the rights of the individual rather well. Bravo. Now it's time for you to start considering the responsibilities of a society. At some level, society has a duty to protect its members from the likes of John Couey and Richard Allen Davis, both of whom had previous conviction records for sexual offenses before raping and murdering Jessica Lunford and Polly Klaas, respectively.

Finally, let me speak a word to you about what will happen to you if God ever graces you with the ultimate gift of a daughter or a son. Every movie, every televsion show, every news article you come across.... every thing you now read and view with detachment.... they will invade your thoughts and you will know fear and dread as you have never known. It won't happen often, but there will come moments at the mall, at the airport, at the playground, when you'll look around and you'll realize that there is most likely a child predator within eyesight that has just assessed your daughter (or son) as a possible victim. Your blood will run cold, you will clutch your child closer, and you will be deeply thankful for things like Meghan's law, where at least you have some hope of knowing the evil's you face. Semper vigilans, the price of parenthood.
    I think the law sets a bad precedent thats all.

Second: The whole "does an 18 year old deserve to be branded a sex offender for boinking a 15 year old?" question... it is a red herring, as it is a question of the peculariaties of statuatory rape, not meghan's law directly. We can argue about changing the definition of habitual sex offender, but that matters not in terms of discussing what is to be done with said beast.
    I never said that.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Megan's Law is unconstitutional

Oh, poor Strike. He should be the one considered reasonable, sane and well versed in the intricacies of law and legal enforcement. Instead, the populist sentiment* prevails in this thread, and acusses Strike of trolling.

Is this then what ten years of internet forums does to society? That 'hang 'em by the 00's' has become considered the norm, the reasonable response, whereas exploring the legal, constitutional and criminological aspects of law enforcement is considerent the deviation?

/

*yes, yes, I too.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 09-03-2008 at 18:18.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|3|AntiWarmanCake88 Toyosada88 View Post
    Argeed. They serve no use, like most serious offenders.
    Who's use should they serve? The state's? In the land of the free..
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Something is missing in this thread.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Please, someone think of the children!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Default Re: Re : Megan's Law is unconstitutional

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Oh, poor Strike. He should be the one considered reasonable, sane and well versed in the intricacies of law and legal enforcement. Instead, the populist sentiment* prevails in this thread, and acusses Strike of trolling.

Is this then what ten years of internet forums does to society? That 'hang 'em by the 00's' has become considered the norm, the reasonable response, whereas exploring the legal, constitutional and criminological aspects of law enforcement is considerent the deviation?

/

*yes, yes, I too.
    one day they'll take me away.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Good Point Alexander, But I'm just saying. If you screw up in life, you lose some rights, that's your punishment. If you Don't Screw up, then nothing to fear, correct ?
    NO.
    My point is that giving a person harsher treatment for smokin some piff or growing a cannabis plant than you would for someone who rapes a little girl is retarded, and that the government CANNOT TAKE YOUR RIGHTS AWAY FROM YOU FOR ANY REASON, unless you GIVE THEM AWAY.

Because under the idea that the government can take your rights for breaking the law, i would have rights taken from me just because i smoke pot. (i need it medically BTW)
    Last edited by AlexanderSextus; 09-04-2008 at 04:15.
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Blog Entries

NO.
    My point is that giving a person harsher treatment for smokin some piff or growing a cannabis plant than you would for someone who rapes a little girl is retarded, and that the government CANNOT TAKE YOUR RIGHTS AWAY FROM YOU FOR ANY REASON, unless you GIVE THEM AWAY.
    NO.

You Give Them Up. What don't you understand? You screw up, you BREAK THE LAW. When you Break the Law, no matter what you do, in this case rapes a child, you GIVE THEM UP. Don't Like it, Do NOT Break The Law. What so hard to understand?

Because under the idea that the government can take your rights for breaking the law, i would have rights taken from me just because i smoke pot. (i need it medically BTW)

Yea Yea, And I drink Lactose Free Milk (Yuck!) because it's good for me

The constitution says your rights are UNALIENABLE.

No matter how bad you screw up, no matter how many times you break the law, the government CANNOT take any of your rights.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

No matter how bad you screw up, no matter how many times you break the law, the government CANNOT take any of your rights.
    Which right to you believe the government is taking away by keeping tabs on sex offenders?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Isn't any form of incarceration or imposing fines a breach of liberty then?
    (also, "inalienable" means that you can't give them away yourselves either)

I agree that punishing pot worse then sexual offenses is incredibly moronic and spiteful, though.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Pot should be legal anyway

nothing in the constitution, bill of rights or DOI says you cant get locked up for a crime.

Pot should be legal, and since your location is the Netherlands, i'm guessing you're smoking a fat spliff right now!!!

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Pot should be legal, and since your location is the Netherlands, i'm guessing you're smoking a fat spliff right now!!!
    Was I supposed to laugh?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    Was I supposed to laugh?
    no, but he was.

Sigh, sad to see the population of the backroom has possibly got even more authoritarian, there used to be at least a couple of us arguing for policies which do not compeltely infringe on peoples right for privacy, movement and life and also destroy not only society and democracy but put children at further risk.

I must of argued this here, what, 15 times over the years, yet it never sticks. Not sure I can be bothered to go through it at this point in time as I really should go to bed, but I will lay out hte basics of the argument I guess.

Pedophiles who come out of prison, in the vast majority have had rehabilitation to the extent that the chances of reoffending are minimal and the WORST thing you can do to push them back into their old ways is to do EXACTLY what Megans law states. Keep constant watch over them, persecute them before they have commited any crime, stop them being able to live in peace anywhere or get a job - make their life hell. Much like crimes of all types, when prisoners are released from prison, if they are allowed to work and become a member of society again, the chances of reoffending is vastly reduced - studies into pedophiles show no difference.

From a philisophical standpoint it is absolutely absurd that people would want this type of surveillance on a member of society. I will list a few of the points which I am not gonna bother going into detail about, I will later if anyone cares - Regardless of what someone has done is this type of big brother state a real good idea? Do you want government to be ABLE to do this to someone? The human rights of someone do not simply go away in an amazing puff of smoke, simply because they have broken a law - "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." Not only are there rights which should not be taken away, period but who are you or I or the government to take these rights away from anyone?! If you are religious that should be extremely compelling.

Where does the line end? In some dictatorships they take the rights of their citizens away for speaking badly about the government, just because you might believe that pedophillia is worse than speaking badly about your government (and I would agree with you), it doesn't make the point dissapear. Why are they wrong and you right, simply because you believe yours morally superior? You loose all sense of legitimacy in anything when you support anything which monitors people 24/7. Why can't we simply say Megans law shouldn't apply for all burgulars, because they have to be watched in case they steal again? It is a moral and ethical black hole you step into.

Ok now onto why it is also a ridiculous idea - IT DOESN'T WORK You are in fact putting children in MORE danger by treating these people like this. Pedophiles are MORE likely to abuse a child when they feel threatened like this in society, FACT. You may not like it - just like some people don't like the fact that communism hasn't worked or the death penalty doesn't work - but it is a fact. By treating people like this you do in fact, by proxy, encourage and enable MORE children to get abused. Simple. Like the war on drugs, people believe that by behaving 'strong' and dumping people into prison they can solve the situation, the fact remains that it gets no better, indeed it gets worse. Cooler heads need to prevail - following this stupid law, means that more children get abused. Use your head, not your heart. Yes it is an emotive subject, but look at yourself and contain whatever it is you need to contain to realise the facts and how we solve the situation, not simply make yourself feel better - which at the end of the day, most people who support Megans law are doing.

There are further arguments about the fact that pedophila is done in the vast majority not be abduction or strangers but by family and friends of the victims - this all doesn't solve it. etc etc...

Gah, cant be bothered to go on anymore, it is a terrible law which undermines democracy, society and the law itself. It not only doesn't work and is on compeltely troubling philisophical, moral and ethical grounds but at the bottom line - it doesn't work.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Blog Entries

It DOESN'T Matter. The Consititution isn't always right, and I personally can't be bother with what a old piece of paper saids.....

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

It DOESN'T Matter. The Consititution isn't always right, and I personally can't be bother with what a old piece of paper saids.....
    *Steals his guns while he is still enraged at the Constitution*

*Wiretaps the phones on his way out*
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

You know, if everyone disregarded the Constitution as a piece of paper, we'd be in anarchy.

And JAG, these people know what they did. I don't care if they're sick in the head. The proper authorities need to be informed of a potentially dangerous person. Parents should be able to know who is potentially dangerous to their children, before sending them to Bob the neighbour's house.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Actually we're talking more about natural rights now, which are not related at all to an "old piece of paper".
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pedophiles who come out of prison, in the vast majority have had rehabilitation to the extent that the chances of reoffending are minimal
    Hahaha!

You are in fact putting children in MORE danger by treating these people like this.
    Hahaha!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." Not only are there rights which should not be taken away, period but who are you or I or the government to take these rights away from anyone?! If you are religious that should be extremely compelling.
    Like the right not to be molested by a pedophile?

Don't quote the Declaration of Independence to me. You're all to happy to take away rights to firearms and property from ordinary people, but don't want to take rights from a class of criminals known for their devastating crimes and high likelihood to reoffend.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

http://www.priceline.com/Default.asp...f=pcln&sttgt=Y

You may go

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Unfortunately for many arguements against Megan's law, one sad fact remains - that children are sexually abused everyday by not only strangers but even their own family members. Frankly these people have committed one of the worse crimes possible - they have destroyed a child.

That they loose some freedoms because of their actions - is warranted and yes even constitutional. Read the 5th and 14th Amendment. And look closely at what the paragraph actually states, something about due process of law. A individual's liberty can be restricted based upon the due process of law as a punishment for a crime.

if you dont like the law - fine, but to claim its unconstitutional is false when the constitution does indeed allow restrictions on one's right to liberty when it follows the due process.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
    Unfortunately for many arguements against Megan's law, one sad fact remains - that children are sexually abused everyday by not only strangers but even their own family members. Frankly these people have committed one of the worse crimes possible - they have destroyed a child.
    I agree with your post Redleg, but would like to note one thing (which has been highlighted previously). The vast majority of child abuse - both sexual and physical - is committed by family members or people close to and intimate with the family. It is vanishingly rare for strangers to commit these acts.

Yet public policy rarely recognises this because it is a horror too difficult to address in a sound-bite law.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

A molestor is a molestor, family or stranger.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post

You're all to happy to take away rights to firearms and property from ordinary people, but don't want to take rights from a class of criminals known for their devastating crimes and high likelihood to reoffend.
    Ok, I shall quote Mr.CR here. You people are so happy to take guns away from the people (like me, a llaw-aidbing ctizen), but like CR said, you don't want to take rights from criminals? I mean come on. It's like saying you want to chop somebody's arm off because you think it's a good idea. But if is found that, that person killed someone with the same extact arm, then he should keep his arm.

You putting more kids in danger by not doing this Law, rather you like it or not.
    Last edited by ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88; 09-08-2008 at 16:14.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast