Thread: Japanese Prime Ministers?

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Japanese Prime Ministers?

What is the deal with these guys? It isn't like there terms are that long - 2 years.
    Japan has had 12 Prime ministers since 1989 - two of whom were out of office in 2 months!

Junichiro Koizumi is the only one to be in office for more than 2 1/2 years. Is this what the office was designed for? I barely learn how to say their name fluently by the time they are gone.

The last two guys were gone in 1 year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sters_of_Japan

I realize that it is part tradition, but it is kind of crazy to me. It must be working though...

Abe in surprise resignation
    Fukuda in surprise resignation
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-01-2008 at 14:17.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Default Re: Japanese Prime Ministers?

maybe a society that is all about personal responsibility towards the group and falling on your sword doesn´t make for long terms in office.....
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

maybe democracy is a rather thinner veneer in Japan than it is accused of being in the UK/US.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    What is the deal with these guys? It isn't like there terms are that long - 2 years.
    Japan has had 12 Prime ministers since 1989 - two of whom were out of office in 2 months!

Junichiro Koizumi is the only one to be in office for more than 2 1/2 years. Is this what the office was designed for? I barely learn how to say their name fluently by the time they are gone.

The last two guys were gone in 1 year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sters_of_Japan

I realize that it is part tradition, but it is kind of crazy to me. It must be working though...

Abe in surprise resignation
    Fukuda in surprise resignation
    Parlimentary government can be like that. Short and messy. Look at British PM's. Until then 60's most never served more than a year or two. Canada has had the same. Modern PM's serve many masters. Electorate, party, state. They serve at the whim of their party. They have no term of office. They can come and go quickly. Although Japan seems to have a slight difference in that they can change party leaders and it doesn't automatically trigger a general election.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Fukuda's LPD has been handling the government reins for over 50 years and for the most part without any credible opposition. Because they're so entrenched, most of the political infighting is in-party strife, wich would partly explain why ministers don't last long.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Who will be the next Prime Minister? Yuriko Koike or Taro Aso?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-03-2008 at 06:09.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well at least when the Japanese PM's up, they take some responsibility for it.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Ask Dave, he'll tell you it's because Tojo's ghost has come back as Nanci Pelosi and the Japanese are murderers and don't deserve government because, you know, they're less than human because they're not American and they're Asian and stuff.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    Ask Dave, he'll tell you it's because Tojo's ghost has come back as Nanci Pelosi and the Japanese are murderers and don't deserve government because, you know, they're less than human because they're not American and they're Asian and stuff.
    Sarcasm. Sarcasm. Sarcasm.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Japanese voters have finally tired of their banana republic politicians:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../10/do1004.xml