Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battle balance

Default Re: Battle balance

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus Caecina Severus View Post
    I still think that the phalanx is too strong in EB.

Also maintain a phalanx formation is extremely difficult for the soldiers.
    Fatigue forces opliti to fall apart the ranks making the phalanx rather exposed to the attacks of heavy infantry.

An example is the battle of Pidna (Macedonians vs Romans), in which the Romans lost only 1,000 men against the 20,000 Macedonians losses.

The phalanx is hard to hold, much of the testudo. All the great generals of history have understood the importance of taking second or third line fresh, from Hannibal to Ezio ...

If you want to learn the classical battle of phalanges sought "phalanx oblique"

I read in one of the steles that some phalanx will be slightly weakened. I think it´s stele 1 or 2. Anyway i like the solution that the EB team has come up as long as we look to what phalanks300 said.

I think in EB is also a lack compared to pilum.

Points of damage pilum are too low!!!
    Also it would be nice that the pilum had a secondary effect.

for example the units affected by pilum increase their fear or their fatigue.
    That's because the pilum rendered unusable shields where stuck.

This side effect should, in my opinion, give qulche kind of disadvantage to the enemy in the next hand to hand.
    Proud Roman General

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus Caecina Severus View Post
    I think in EB is also a lack compared to pilum.

Points of damage pilum are too low!!!
    Also it would be nice that the pilum had a secondary effect.

for example the units affected by pilum increase their fear or their fatigue.
    That's because the pilum rendered unusable shields where stuck.

This side effect should, in my opinion, give qulche kind of disadvantage to the enemy in the next hand to hand.
    I think Javelins as a whole in EB are quite weak, especially against armored uniform units.. but I guess thats the whole point.

I wonder how much an effect the Roman artillery had in battles, I just don't see how it could make any significant damage, other than moral...

I think that the javelin is the right strength in EB.

But it is unlikely that a Gauls javelin is more harmful than a pilum.
    Proud Roman General

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikil100 View Post
    I wonder how much an effect the Roman artillery had in battles, I just don't see how it could make any significant damage, other than moral...
    depended on the battle really.

but IMHO, I don't think we need to use catapults of the field type in EB2: they're a hastle, they were rarely used outside of sieges, and they do too much damage for their numbers (especially the smaller ones).

just me
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

They are a hassle but they have their uses.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    depended on the battle really.

but IMHO, I don't think we need to use catapults of the field type in EB2: they're a hastle, they were rarely used outside of sieges, and they do too much damage for their numbers (especially the smaller ones).

just me
    No catapults but scorpions and other torsion weapons. They found masses of bit torsion projectiles
    at a battlefield in germany 200 A.D. , but we know nearly nothing about roman warfare in the EB timespan via battlefield studies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123