Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Profile Arrests Recently you may not have Heard About...

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default High Profile Arrests Recently you may not have Heard About...

A lot of coverage about the elections and such, here's two important developements you may have missed...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...4b9NgD9305QK01

The Mayor of Detroit will be sproting an orange jumpsuit this year intead of his Armane suit and bling
    Also Jack "The Dirtbag lobbiest" Abramhoff gets 4 years in the pokey..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080905/..._sentencing_20

You know, I'm liking this. Sen Stevens might be next. The more these high profile politicians and their enablers start seeing bars, maybe they'll be less enthusiastic about backroom deals and such.

Finally a subject I would hope we can all agree on.

So here's the question, do you think that this is a start of more accountability within our the US government (and other countries) or are these just scapegoats of a broken system?
    RIP Tosa

Default Re: High Profile Arrests Recently you may not have Heard About...

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    A lot of coverage about the elections and such, here's two important developements you may have missed...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...4b9NgD9305QK01

The Mayor of Detroit will be sproting an orange jumpsuit this year intead of his Armane suit and bling
    Also Jack "The Dirtbag lobbiest" Abramhoff gets 4 years in the pokey..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080905/..._sentencing_20

You know, I'm liking this. Sen Stevens might be next. The more these high profile politicians and their enablers start seeing bars, maybe they'll be less enthusiastic about backroom deals and such.

Finally a subject I would hope we can all agree on.

So here's the question, do you think that this is a start of more accountability within our the US government (and other countries) or are these just scapegoats of a broken system?
    I heard about Detroit's mayor. I smiled, although it should be 5 years in prison, not 4 months, and a 5 million dollar fine instead of one million because he cost the city 8-9 million. All in all though, I'm happy he's barred from running for office for 5 years and he has to resign/serve jail time.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

One question: Who are those two people and why are they high profile? Surely they are unheard of the entire European population.
    BLARGH!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I'm glad these scumbags are going down. Now why is William Jefferson still free?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    OMG!

Assuming I have understood this case correctly, this just blows my mind. All he did was have sex with his secretary? And this starts off a media and legal circus costing millions of dollars and him eventually going to jail? Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

I thought you people learned your lesson with Clinton. Apparently not.

Someone tell me I have this case all wrong. Please tell me he did something more than have sex. Please.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 09-06-2008 at 02:58.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    OMG!

Assuming I have understood this case correctly, this just blows my mind. All he did was have sex with his secretary? And this starts off a media and legal circus costing millions of dollars and him eventually going to jail? Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

I thought you people learned your lesson with Clinton. Apparently not.

Someone tell me I have this case all wrong. Please tell me he did something more than have sex. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by the article
    The scandal stems from a whistleblower lawsuit filed by two former police officers who accused Kilpatrick of retaliating against them for trying to investigate misconduct by the mayor and his security detail. Questioned under oath in 2004 and 2007, Kilpatrick repeatedly denied having an affair with his chief of staff, Christine Beatty.

But the Detroit Free Press later obtained text messages between the two — some of them sexually explicit — and published excerpts. Kilpatrick and Beatty were later charged.

In addition to perjury, Kilpatrick was accused of misleading City Council when he secured its approval of an $8.4 million settlement with three former police officers. Prosecutors said he settled to keep the text messages from becoming public.
    It's not the sex, but the cover up. Just like it always is. Good riddance to him.

Happy about Abramhoff as well. I guess my question is: How much did he spill, and will that keep him from getting pardoned on Jan 19th?
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 09-06-2008 at 02:59.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    It's not the sex, but the cover up. Just like it always is. Good riddance to him.
    ....But why did he try to cover it up....?

Gah I say. Hopeless.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

It's the same thing as the Bill Clinton deal, but this guys also pushed a State Trooper to stop him from handing an associate a subpoena, jumped his bail by attending a meeting across the lake in Canada (when all he had to do was tell somebody at the court.)

Perjury under oath about an affair with an employee using government equipment + assault on a Trooper in order to block an investigation + jumping bail across national lines without notifying your bail board = 4 months in prison, 5 years probation, removal of your license to practice law and the Democratic Governor asking forcefully that you resign.

You really believe that this is unfair? You believe that it was unfair that Clinton was "technically impeached" without leaving office for banging an employee in his office and lying under oath about it? I don't see the injustice unless I'm looking at the Mayor and the President.

You would protect anyone on the left it seems no matter what their crimes. Didn't you once say that Stalin was a hero?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-05-2008 at 17:27.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    It's the same thing as the Bill Clinton deal, but this guys also pushed a State Trooper to stop him from handing an associate a subpoena, jumped his bail by attending a meeting across the lake in Canada (when all he had to do was tell somebody at the court.)

Perjury under oath about an affair with an employee using government equipment + assault on a Trooper in order to block an investigation + jumping bail across national lines without notifying your bail board = 4 months in prison, 5 years probation, removal of your license to practice law and the Democratic Governor asking forcefully that you resign.

You really believe that this is unfair? You believe that it was unfair that Clinton was "technically impeached" without leaving office for banging an employee in his office and lying under oath about it? I don't see the injustice unless I'm looking at the Mayor and the President.

You would protect anyone on the left it seems no matter what their crimes. Didn't you once say that Stalin was a hero?

In the case of Clinton I think he commited perjury on a question that no one had any right asking anyway....so I think that makes it square between the 2 parts....

if I was questioned in that way about my private life I would probably lie as well.....the only person who had the right to ask those questions of him was his wife....not some hatchet man from the "holier-than-thou" toe-tapping republicans...

this case is considerably more serious because of the assault issue and the bail jumping.....I´ll give you that.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

....But why did he try to cover it up....?

Gah I say. Hopeless.
    Politicians don't like the constituency to know who else they are screwing, because the constituency doesn't like them to be unfaithful.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I'm glad these scumbags are going down. Now why is William Jefferson still free?
    You know, I haven't heard much about Mr Jefferson lately, maybe the Matag man left $300,000 in the DA's freezer!!!
    RIP Tosa

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    In the case of Clinton I think he commited perjury on a question that no one had any right asking anyway....so I think that makes it square between the 2 parts....

if I was questioned in that way about my private life I would probably lie as well.....the only person who had the right to ask those questions of him was his wife....not some hatchet man from the "holier-than-thou" toe-tapping republicans...

this case is considerably more serious because of the assault issue and the bail jumping.....I´ll give you that.
    Does a boss have the right to ask about his manager banging an employee in the office? I think so. When the boss asks his manager under oath and the manager lies - that is a offense worthy of termination.

Put yourself in the shoes of all parties.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Does a boss have the right to ask about his manager banging an employee in the office? I think so. When the boss asks his manager under oath and the manager lies - that is a offense worthy of termination.

Put yourself in the shoes of all parties.
    the manager would have no reason to ask unless he observed something wrong with the behavior of his employees....

not to mention that a manager would probably call you aside quietly and ask this in a calm way...not turn it into an inquisition.

we both know that the republican party pulled that whole shindig because they were looking for some mud to fling...not because these acts where somehow getting in the way of "the employee" getting is work done...

and yeah I´d still have lied....deny it deny it deny it.....
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

I must say, what a truly ridiculous post. I'll take the longest shots first then:

1. Protecting anyone on the left? Are you kidding me? These guys are right-wing nutjobs to me.
    2. I've said Stalin was a hero? Hm, didn't you once say that you fantasize about Hitler torturing jews when you have sex with your wife. See? I can make stuff up too, you know. Now the question is, do we stop it and behave like grown-ups, or do we continue like idiots?

Now, to the matter at hand;

No, I do not think this is fair, because the fact remains that what he did was simply having sex with someone. And I don't think it's fair to send people to jail because they have sex with who they want. As for his cover-up, it was wrong, but I put the blame for that entirely on you people. He lied? So what, you were asking questions you had no business asking in the first place. Such question do not deserve a truthful answer, in fact they don't deserve an answer at all. Our private lives belong to ourselves, and that goes for elected officials too. You have no business looking under their sheets.

What business did people have outing Larry Craig in a mens bathroom? That guy didn't even have sex with anyone in that specific occurance, but there was still an inquisition that I approved of. Larry Craig solicited sex in a public restroom, was crucified for it and all of his dirty laundry was aired. This wasn't in his office, didn't involve an employee, but It was still used as a tool to get him. I found his actions to be disturbing and unethical as Ihave found the actions of Kilpatrick and Clinton to be disturbing and unethical. At least don't accuse us of double standards. Who do you think was leading the charge against Craig?

People's professional actions when in public office are our concern. If the 2 women in question with Clinton and Kilpatrick were not employees and if the sexual relationship took place outside of public property or oversight I might not be as quick to urge them out of office - but the fact is that it happened that way, was lied about underoath and then blamed on the opposition.

Havn't you ever seen the movie "Roadhouse" with Patrick Swayze? He walked into the backroom of the club, found an employee having sex with a girl on the table during his break and then fired the guy on the spot. We need to think about this as if they were not politicians, merely in a regular job what the punishment would have been. Then we can couple what the punishment would have been numerous federal offenses and I think the case can be made for removal from office.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-05-2008 at 19:22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What business did people have outing Larry Craig in a mens bathroom? That guy didn't even have sex with anyone in that specific occurance, but there was still an inquisition that I approved of. Larry Craig solicited sex in a public restroom, was crucified for it and all of his dirty laundry was aired. This wasn't in his office, didn't involve an employee, but It was still used as a tool to get him. I found his actions to be disturbing and unethical as Ihave found the actions of Kilpatrick and Clinton to be disturbing and unethical. At least don't accuse us of double standards. Who do you think was leading the charge against Craig?
    People had nothing to do with it in that case either. And I find it truly sad that people do these things. People should care about what they do for the nation, not what they do in their private lives. We employ them to serve us, nothing more. Who they choose to have sex with has nothing to do with their capability to serve us, and as such it's completely irrelevant.

Now, I may see a small point if an anti-prostitution crusader was caught buying a hooker or a gaybasher being gay or something like that, but still... Not much.

Havn't you ever seen the movie "Roadhouse" with Patrick Swayze? He walked into the backroom of the club, found an employee having sex with a girl on the table during his break and then fired the guy on the spot. We need to think about this as if they were not politicians, merely in a regular job what the punishment would have been. Then we can couple what the punishment would have been numerous federal offenses and I think the case can be made for removal from office.
    That would probably not happen here. I've had sex at work myself, and I know of countless others who have, but I have yet to hear about anyone getting fired for it.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 09-05-2008 at 19:30.

People's professional actions when in public office are our concern. If the 2 women in question with Clinton and Kilpatrick were not employees and if the sexual relationship took place outside of public property or oversight I might not be as quick to urge them out of office - but the fact is that it happened that way, was lied about underoath and then blamed on the opposition.
    Larry Craig outed himself when he propositioned a man for gay sex in a public bathroom.....he was the one that made it a public issue.

you are dumb enough to make moves on a cop....and you´re in public office....big surprise....it will become public knowledge.

as for going after him....politically......this has already been discussed here....if you belong to a party that at every turn condemns the gay lifestyle...and then you get outed...well...people are gonna come after you for the hypocrisy of your political position...

if you find a statement of Bill Clinton condemning the heterosexual lifestyle in his political life then you may have a leg to stand on as to your claim that the situations are equivalent.
    -Josh Homme
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

as for going after him....politically......this has already been discussed here....if you belong to a party that at every turn condemns the gay lifestyle...and then you get outed...well...people are gonna come after you for the hypocrisy of your political position...

if you find a statement of Bill Clinton condemning the heterosexual lifestyle in his political life then you may have a leg to stand on as to your claim that the situations are equivalent.
    So you can go after them based on politics? If Clinton was a pro-family politician it would have been a grounded question, but since he is a liberal it is none of our business? That's what I got out of what you've just written. I try to apply my condemnation of marital infidelity, sexual harassment, public sex and federal perjury under oath evenly no matter who is responsible for it.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-05-2008 at 20:19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That would probably not happen here. I've had sex at work myself, and I know of countless others who have, but I have yet to hear about anyone getting fired for it.
    If I were your boss and found out that you were having sex at work, particularly with one of your employees, you would be fired. Especially if you lied under oath about it. I wouldn't fire you if you had sex with the same girl outside of the office. I just don't get the "it's only a crime if you are being hypocritical about it" line. If you want to play that game: Clinton ran as a Baptist and was married in a Baptist church. I'm sure that people expected him to be faithful to his wife since he made an oath to her about the issue in public. I don't think that they should fire him for it if it wasn't in the office or with an employee, but it can be viewed as public hypocrisy. Maybe if you don't believe in or practice monogamy you shouldn't promise it to your spouse. Just get married in the state or leave the oath out of your ceremony.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-05-2008 at 20:34.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If I were your boss and found out that you were having sex at work, particularly with one of your employees, you would be fired. Especially if you lied under oath about it. I wouldn't fire you if you had sex with the same girl outside of the office. I just don't get the "it's only a crime if you are being hypocritical about it" line.
    Then I will be sure never to have you as my boss

Then I will be sure never to have you as my boss
    You've made your point known - you don't believe that a boss should be able to inquire as to whether or not you have been having sex in the office with an employee - that their hands should be tied about the issue. I wonder how many would agree with that sentiment on these forums in an honest capacity without trying to be funny.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-05-2008 at 20:36.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I find it very hard to believe that if I were living in Norway, and say I were a bartender, there would be no repercussions for me banging a waitress over a table. I just find that very difficult to envision.

Personally, I think pursuing politicians for sex is a silly thing to do. And I'm amazed that we waste police man-hours having detectives stake out public restrooms to stop teh gays from hooking up.

But I'm really, really happy Jack Abramoff is going to jail, and I'm glad Mister It's Not A Truck It's A Series of Tubes may go to jail, and I seriously hope William Jefferson goes down hard.

I find it very hard to believe that if I were living in Norway, and say I were a bartender, there would be no repercussions for me banging a waitress over a table. I just find that very difficult to envision..

But I'm really, really happy Jack Abramoff is going to jail, and I'm glad Mister It's Not A Truck It's A Series of Tubes may go to jail, and I seriously hope William Jefferson goes down hard.
    I agree. I've wanted these guys out of their official capacity. A case can be made about an expensive case going forward about sex being unnecessary, but I support both of those in question. The only thing is that those cases are the official way of dealing with the indiscretion. They are similar to hearings that might take place at your employer for a similar offense, but on a bigger and more important scale.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, I do not think this is fair, because the fact remains that what he did was simply having sex with someone.
    No, it wasn't that simple. He's a thug who stole money from the city, lied to a court under oath, and assaulted law enforcement officers (that's just off the top of my head). He came to power and retained it solely through race baiting.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

I find it very hard to believe that if I were living in Norway, and say I were a bartender, there would be no repercussions for me banging a waitress over a table. I just find that very difficult to envision.
    Well I was working at a store when I banged a co-worker in the storage room... The only thing that happened was that my boss started smiling and laughing whenever he saw one of us after he found out...

As I said, I've never heard of anyone getting fired for having sex at work, and yet I know of dozens of people who have had it.

the closest thing I can think of was when my company captain in the army used a few minutes of his "captains hour"(basically a monthly info meeting with the entire company by the company commander) to point out that sex at military facilities is forbidden and plead us to go outside the fence when we had sex after one of the barracks had turned into a semi-brothel...(one guy got his gf to conscript, they ended up in the same platoon and barracks, started doing the natural thing and then things just snowballed...) No reprimand though, just pointing out that we got huge discounts at the nearby hotel...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    No, it wasn't that simple. He's a thug who stole money from the city, lied to a court under oath, and assaulted law enforcement officers (that's just off the top of my head).
    Yes it is that simple, because the reason he did those other things, is because the US population is so ridiculous that they care about who he has sex with. If you didn't care about utterly irrelevant stuff, he would never have done that stuff.

Well I was working at a store when I banged a co-worker in the storage room... The only thing that happened was that my boss started smiling and laughing whenever he saw one of us after he found out...
    Oh, I see, you had relatively discreet sex in a closet and the boss winked at it. That's a different bit of business. Heck, we had a couple meet, fall in love and get married on my crew back in NYC. That's just different from what it sounded like you were saying.

Remember that if your boss thought you weren't being discreet, or if your boss was utterly without sympathy, you might have been in trouble. I'm glad to hear it isn't just a free-sex jambalaya in Norway.
    Last edited by Lemur; 09-05-2008 at 21:02.

Yes it is that simple, because the reason he did those other things, is because the US population is so ridiculous that they care about who he has sex with. If you didn't care about utterly irrelevant stuff, he would never have done that stuff.
    You'd probably be cool with smoking weed, doing some coke or drinking in the backroom every once in a while?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-05-2008 at 21:02.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You'd probably be cool with smoking weed, doing some coke or drinking in the backroom every once in a while?
    My old boss supplied six-packs and pizza whenever we were working overtime, yes

But anyway, how can you even compare having sex with doing drugs?

Last time I checked, sex was legal, healthy and does not interfere with work. Coke, weed and alcohol are none of that.

@ Lemur: well, as long as you don't disturb anyone, noone is going to have a problem with it. Oh, and assuming it's not unhygienic, of course, like doing it in the soup bawls in the restaurant kitchen...

But still, I'm not sure if it's legal to fire you for having sex on the job anyway. I'll try to have a looksy in the employment laws and see if there is an answer...

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Sex, and sex with a subordinate, and sex with a subordinate at work while you are a public servant is hardly “irrelevant stuff”. Read upon the guy he was a rotten thug of a mayor. Half of me thinks he should have been punished more but the other half thinks, you get what you ask for, and the people of Detroit voted for him TWICE! Maybe all the fools who voted for him should serve a day of his sentence with him.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast