Poll: Which way does the Daily Show lean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Daily Show

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: The Daily Show

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    The problem is when people take comedy seriously as their source of opinion on politics.
    That is the same problem with EVERY news outlet. Everyone is innately biased, and as such no news can be seriously covered. The Daily show must be commended for talking about things that many other news outlets don't, as well as holding the news media to task.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    That is the same problem with EVERY news outlet. Everyone is innately biased, and as such no news can be seriously covered.
    I'm rather disenchanted with the media at the moment, actually, for precisely that reason - you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I usually go to Die Welt and BBC News for an idea of what's going on in Germany and the world, and sometimes the National Post or Globe and Mail - and with these it's mostly to get an idea of what the situation is, and I try to base my opinion on the situation rather than the slant (I try, don't always succeed). I haven't watched television news in forever.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 09-07-2008 at 05:23.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

BBC News has always been my favorite site to check out neutral news
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

I'm rather disenchanted with the media at the moment, actually, for precisely that reason - you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I usually go to Die Welt and BBC News for an idea of what's going on in Germany and the world, and sometimes the National Post or Globe and Mail - and with these it's mostly to get an idea of what the situation is, and I try to base my opinion on the situation rather than the slant (I try, don't always succeed). I haven't watched television news in forever.
    Yeah I'm pretty much the same, but with different sites... that said I do read heavily slanted news every day, but that is mostly for analysis and after I have made up my opinion.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You make up your opinion before you read the news?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    You make up your opinion before you read the news?

CR
    No, before I read the analysis of the news.

The problem is when people take comedy seriously as their source of opinion on politics.
    Yes. As I said, I fear for the world.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Yes. As I said, I fear for the world.
    I agree - it is disturbing to hear a number of people say "I only have time to get my news from "the daily show" or "Rush in the morning"
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Holy crap.

Now we're discussing the politics of comedy....?

I fear for the world.
    Really, that sort of dedain really doesn't suit lefties.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I think its pretty obvious there....

As for taking the Daily Show seriously, CNN and Fox News have both criticized Jon Stewart in interviews for not being "journalistic" which I just find hilarious. This is the show that comes on sometimes after Reno 911. Any "real" news outlet comparing themselves to Comedy Central ought to seriously reexamine themselves
    Last edited by TevashSzat; 09-07-2008 at 21:39.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TevashSzat View Post
    I think its pretty obvious there....

As for taking the Daily Show seriously, CNN and Fox News have both criticized Jon Stewart in interviews for not being "journalistic" which I just find hilarious. This is the show that comes on sometimes after Reno 911. Any "real" news outlet comparing themselves to Comedy Central ought to seriously reexamine themselves

Jon Stewart Legendary appearance on Crossfire

they try to throw the "you don´t make serious news questions either" line at him....his response? "are you kidding me? the show before mine is puppets making crank phone calls!"

he totally embarrasses them and their supposed debate show....the network pulled the plug on crossfire a few days later.

I think he also addresses a lot of the accusations that have been leveled at the daily show here.
    Last edited by Ronin; 09-07-2008 at 23:59.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

"MSNBC drops Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews from anchor chair... David Gregory will anchor news coverage of the coming debates and election night.... Developing..."

Suckers.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Using it as a primary source is perhaps a bit off, but comedy has always been one of the leading methods for criticizing those in power, particularly in the area of politics. This is well-recorded going all the way back to ancient Rome and Greece and I personally suspect that it's as old as language itself. Mockery and exaggeration are excellent methods to make undermine someone's position and credibility. Nothing is more degrading to a position than public humiliation. That's why Mel Brooks thinks that the best revenge on Hitler is to simply laugh at him and make him a joke. That's why the history books are replete with hapless 'satirists' being executed for making a dig at the local regent. It's no coincidence that court jesters gained a reputation for being some of the few people who could openly criticize the King.

TDS is just a modern version of this old tried and true system. Yes, it is comedy, but it is also serious political commentary. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    Because in Britain political shows are of a much higher caliber than a man sipping coffee and pulling a funny face every time he thinks something funny has happened...
    Funny you say that. I was under the impression that British comedy consisted mainly of men being caught wearing ladies underpants.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Re : The Daily Show

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    I don't understand. Are you claiming that the right has some sort of manifersto that holds sole proprietorship over the terms "partisan" or "hackery" (which I believe is a made up word.)?

We can't use terms that can be applied to any side of "partisan hacks"? I've used the term to describe both Limbaugh and Stewart. They both have an angry and sarcastic tone that harps on ideological issues at the expense of objectivity. I think we can call them both hacks who are exceptionally good at what they do - entertain listeners who want to hear about politics in a wya that gets their blood boiling.

I can use "political hackery" without being the same as a Marxist who uses terms like Proletariat and Burgeoisie - which are arguable ideological groupings - rather than objective adjectives.
    Hmmm...perhaps I shouldn't have attributed partisanship and hackery to the right. Partisan not, because both major parties suffer from it. And hackery not, because I in fact haven't got the faintest clue what the word means, if anything at all.

'Media bias', 'liberal elite', and a certain anti-intellectualism though, are distinctly conservative issues. I can't be bothered to write a page long essay about it, sorry. Can't find a decent link either. Which of course, even if I did, would no doubt be considered biased itself. )
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I don't know. The Daily Kos is about as wacky left as you can get.

I just obtained this info. and need help getting it to go viral. AIP Is not a
    harmless group. It seems that they are tied to terrorist. Please help this go viral. If this was a Dem. Candidate, this would be on the msm 24/7.
    The scoop below the fold. emphasis added

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Using it as a primary source is perhaps a bit off, but comedy has always been one of the leading methods for criticizing those in power, particularly in the area of politics. This is well-recorded going all the way back to ancient Rome and Greece and I personally suspect that it's as old as language itself. Mockery and exaggeration are excellent methods to make undermine someone's position and credibility. Nothing is more degrading to a position than public humiliation. That's why Mel Brooks thinks that the best revenge on Hitler is to simply laugh at him and make him a joke. That's why the history books are replete with hapless 'satirists' being executed for making a dig at the local regent. It's no coincidence that court jesters gained a reputation for being some of the few people who could openly criticize the King.

TDS is just a modern version of this old tried and true system. Yes, it is comedy, but it is also serious political commentary. The two are not mutually exclusive.
    Good point

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Nonetheless, as you admit, mockery and exaggeration are key parts in political comedy, and therefore comedy should never be your primary source of news.

Nonetheless, as you admit, mockery and exaggeration are key parts in political comedy, and therefore comedy should never be your primary source of news.
    "A man who reads nothing at all is better educated than a man who reads nothing but newspapers"

--Thomas Jefferson

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Why does Thomas Jefferson hate freedom?

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Why does Thomas Jefferson hate freedom?
    no it's cool.. he was only talking about the new york times.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I don't know. The Daily Kos is about as wacky left as you can get.
    The vast majority of people on DailyKos are very sensible progressives. Its just that with all of the heat of the Federal Election and what they believe Bush has done to the country - they can get a bit heated and zealous at times.

@ Lemur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12