Thread: Getting New Soccer Cleats

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Getting New Soccer Cleats

Or Football boots, if you swing that way.

Anyways, I'm looking for nice new cleats and I'm not afraid to spend a bit. All the stores within 80+ miles don't have any really good cleats, just the 40USD synthetic cleats.

So I'm trying to get advice on cleats and then order online. I heard Adidas makes good cleats.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Getting New Soccer Cleats

What kind of field and what conditions? Does your league allow studs? What position do you play?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Blog Entries

Grass field, firm ground. I play all over the field in pick-up games mostly with other college age guys who are pretty good at soccer. Mostly D and mid, though.

By studs do you mean screw-in metal spikes or something? Seeing as it's outdoors, the normal plastic studs on the bottom are allowed.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Alright lets see what we got here...

First off I'd say hold off on screw-ons if you can. Since it looks like you are mainly playing in pick-up games and the like I'd say just wait, you don't need those.

Adidas do have some very excellent cleat designs such as the Copa Mundials which are always a good cleat to get.
    There are also the predators though I've only heard of them in a so-so description, as in not so bad and not so good.
    There are also the TUNiT's which are pretty good, though my brother went through two pairs like they were nothing!
    It also appears that the adiPURE TRX FG seem to be of the classic adidas cleats, though I have yet to hear about their durability.

For PMUA's, I'd go with the Puma King XL i FG's as they are the latest. Not to mention PUMA's king line is also a sure and solid cleat. Very reliable and good with wear and tear.

Now onto NIKE. Right now the most popular NIKE cleats are the Total 90's which have several versions. The Total 90 Strike II is the legit version and is most likely worth the money. I had the first set of the latest Total 90's that came out a year and a half ago(the ones in my picture in the family photos thread). There is also the Strike II L-FG which is basically the same cleat. And then the Shoot II FG's which have a completely different stud pattern though its' practically the type of studs as the other too.
    Another popular cleat are the Ronaldinho Dois'. I personally never wore these. They look and feel wonderful on the foot though they are almost like shoes that you'd buy but never wear lol... I know I wouldn't play in them myself because they are so nice. But that's up to you .
    And now the favorite of strikers all over the world. The Mercyurial Vapors. Better known as the Vapors. They are VERY light, and d not provide much protection when you get kicked or stepped on but hey, you feel like you're wearing a sock! I'm not sure how the new ones are but most of my teammates over the years have complained that they cause lots of blisters and are really tight on the feet(though they never complain when they score a goal). I also see them changing cleats during half-time because of the hurt they cause.
    And one of my personal favorites, and one that is a SURE BET, is the NIKE Legends. I've personally worn these over several years and have had many a game in them. They are extremely reliable and VERY durable. If anything, I'd suggest you buy these as you'll get your money's worth. They may look non-flashy and all but they can last you at least 3 years maybe more.

Hope this helps a little
    And good luck with whatever cleat you go with

Decker
    Last edited by Decker; 09-09-2008 at 00:44.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I swear by my Adidas copa mundials.

I've played football all my life and it's the first shoe that I can play multiple seasons with. They're made of kangaroo leather which is very subtle. If you grease them now and then they'll stay subtle and take the form of your foot. They are a tad more expensive though.
    An extra for me, at least, is that they don't come in flashy colours.
    Most of my teammates play with the copa mundial and probably will when they buy there next pair.

I hope my 1000th post was at least helpful
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 09-09-2008 at 09:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post

I've played football all my life and it's the first shoe that I can play multiple seasons with. They're made of kangaroo leather which is very subtle. If you grease them now and then they'll stay subtle and take the form of your foot. They are a tad more expensive though.
    Most of my teammates play with the copa mundial and probably will when they buy there next pair.
    QFT

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Still got my +F50.6 TUNiT. Served me well through 3 seasons.

Edit: You American's had me confused, I've played football all my life and I had no idea what cleat was.
    Last edited by naut; 09-09-2008 at 14:10.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post

I hope my 1000th post was at least helpful
    Oh and good point about the greasing. I've never done that but when I have the cleats can last seasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic View Post
    Still got my +F50.6 TUNiT. Served me well through 3 seasons.

Edit: You American's had me confused, I've played football all my life and I had no idea what cleat was.
    3 seasons!?!? My bro went through nearly 3 pairs in one! I guess you don't get stuck in much eh

Lmao!! Well what can we say. We named a dog that didn't even originate from Aussieland so what can ya do
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Blog Entries

Hey, thanks for all the help guys!

I'm thinking I'm going to go for the copa mundials. What exactly do you grease them with?

One more question - how do sizes vary through makers? My current Nikes at size nine fit perfectly, and I hope they all use similar sizing.

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 09-09-2008 at 20:32.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

I always get bright yellow ones, and don't care about the make or quality

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Adidas Predator PowerSwerve. I've been wearing the predator series since Predator pulse came out (I know it hasn't been that long). Anyway I've always prefered Adidas over Nike, and Predator suits my playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post

I'm thinking I'm going to go for the copa mundials. What exactly do you grease them with?

One more question - how do sizes vary through makers? My current Nikes at size nine fit perfectly, and I hope they all use similar sizing.

CR
    Yea no problemo mate.

And to grease the cleats you use Chelsea Leather Food

And well size does matter on who makes the cleats as it's the same as buying shoes lol. Not everyone makes it the same size

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post

CR
    Just look for grease in the shoe shining products. There are enough on the market, some specifically for sport shoes.

It's very important that your football shoe fit you perfectly. Only buy them after you run a few meters in the store with them when wearing an extra pair of football socks. You'll know soon enough if they are the right size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.