Thread: Less ships?

Default Less ships?

Do ships occupy unit slots? If so, why not removing some of them, since they play a very very marginal role in TW (until Empire: TW will do something)?
    I'm not saying that no ships should be in game, just only few types instead of all the various factional ones that are now in EB.
    Which player frequently cares of build poliremes (that are also keepable when your empire is enough rich and strong, that is when you have just conquered a lot of map)? Do the AI deploy huge fleets with a lot of different ships?

I think that having only 3/4/5 types of ship (pirate boat, light, medium, heavy, or what else) buildable by every faction, altough not much historical, in order to gain more slots for units would be ok.
    IMHO most players wouldn't care or say "omg I cannot see my 4 liburnes fight 3 triereis and 1 tetrareis" if this will give more units for new factions and even old ones, if possible.

What do you think about? :)
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Default Re: Less ships?

i like the ships but i think they should be cheaper and thus allowing more navy´s combat. Anyway, perhaps "cheaper" is not historical and in this case it´ll not feature in EB II.

Quote Originally Posted by Connacht View Post
    Do ships occupy unit slots? If so, why not removing some of them, since they play a very very marginal role in TW (until Empire: TW will do something)?
    I'm not saying that no ships should be in game, just only few types instead of all the various factional ones that are now in EB.
    Which player frequently cares of build poliremes (that are also keepable when your empire is enough rich and strong, that is when you have just conquered a lot of map)? Do the AI deploy huge fleets with a lot of different ships?

I think that having only 3/4/5 types of ship (pirate boat, light, medium, heavy, or what else) buildable by every faction, altough not much historical, in order to gain more slots for units would be ok.
    IMHO most players wouldn't care or say "omg I cannot see my 4 liburnes fight 3 triereis and 1 tetrareis" if this will give more units for new factions and even old ones, if possible.

What do you think about? :)
    well if they take up unit slots then I'm all for that. Imagine how many free units we could get just by removing all of these ships. Thumbs up to you for a great idea man!
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Obviously if ships don't occupy unit slots, there is no need to remove them, while if they occupy some slots, I'd prefer to have them used for more units.
    However, removing ALL isn't good, imho, just a large number of ships. ;)
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Ships do indeed occupy unit slots. :)
    grwn's Language Blog

"Your life is yours and yours alone - rise up and live it!" - Terry Goodkind

I don't think we have a lot of ships really, of course the Carthies and Romani get some uniques... I think there are 3 Celtic ship types; 3 Carthaginian ones; 3 or 4 Romani uniques; 3 Pirate types; 8 usual line ups (The Hellenic types which are used by all non-Barb factions) plus 1 for variety between West & East Greek (but IIRC it doubles with one of the Romani). Which is 21 or so? Averages one ship type per faction (2/3 in EB2)?

If there are 500 unit slots to spare and 31 factions then each may get 16 unique slots = 496 units + 4 to spare. That means roughly 1 in 24 (= 2/(3*16)) units would be a ship, tops?

Now, this can be seen still as a sizeable portion of ships, there - and it may be even more (or less) if my estimation of the number 21 proves to be incorrect (haven't played all factions & certainly don't know the EDU by heart); but 'removing a large number of ships' means killing of the bulk types, which will hit the 'naval' inclined factions hard (there's a lot less fun to be had in thalassokratia, I suppose?), or mean killing off a few uniques such as the covered liburnae (i.e. not a large number at all)? Most of these ship slots are shared between factions anyway.

At least killing off unique units has the benefit that the other 30 or so faction may gain an additional unit where only one faction potentially loses (but it may be 'just a swap').
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 09-14-2008 at 17:11.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.