Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post your suggestions for new units !

Default Re: Post your suggestions for new units !

There's a catch...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

There always is...
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    There's a catch...
    I don't understand how there could be a catch to extra unit slots?

Are you feeling good sport today?

If yes: use your brains and find out for yourself what & why (it's a typical 'parsing' mistake programmers make; but I'm sure you'll be able to 'discover it by yourself' and slap yourself on the forehead for it)
    If no:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You forgot to take into account that comments mentioning this specific attribute may occur inside the EDU. I know of at least 1 such instance, but there are possibly more. Hence, it follows your estimate cannot be considered any more accurate than the few I've posted before.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Are you feeling good sport today?

If yes: use your brains and find out for yourself what & why (it's a typical 'parsing' mistake programmers make; but I'm sure you'll be able to 'discover it by yourself' and slap yourself on the forehead for it)
    If no:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You forgot to take into account that comments mentioning this specific attribute may occur inside the EDU. I know of at least 1 such instance, but there are possibly more. Hence, it follows your estimate cannot be considered any more accurate than the few I've posted before.
    What instance are you talking about? I erased the beginning paragraphs to leave nothing but the unit slot info. Are there comments in between some of the unit slot info? If so what line (so I can use "Go to" for once)?

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

You could use 'find' until you get to one.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    What instance are you talking about? I erased the beginning paragraphs to leave nothing but the unit slot info. Are there comments in between some of the unit slot info? If so what line (so I can use "Go to" for once)?
    To make it quick and easy : There are so many changes between EB1 and EB2 units that you can count, re-count and calculate in every manner you want you will not be able to know how many new slots are available for EB2.

And if you ask to know what this number is we won't give you an answer nor an estimate.

Buhahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Spendios View Post
    To make it quick and easy : There are so many changes between EB1 and EB2 units that you can count, re-count and calculate in every manner you want you will not be able to know how many new slots are available for EB2.

And if you ask to know what this number is we won't give you an answer nor an estimate.

Buhahahaha
    But that would depend on how you have worked on the EDU. Did you start over with a totally blank EDU and are working your way up to 500, or did you import the units from EBI and have begun to "whittle" down the unnecessary and lower priority units to make room for the new faction units? (Yes, I know all the units will be "new" in that they will look different then from EBI because of the improved graphics and variability models.)

in everywhere i read about thracians they talk about thracian infantry and very much about them. In eb there is only thracian pelatists, and elite infantry and bastarnae. no normal thracian infantry.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ludwag View Post
    in everywhere i read about thracians they talk about thracian infantry and very much about them. In eb there is only thracian pelatists, and elite infantry and bastarnae. no normal thracian infantry.
    the thracian peltasts I'm afraid are there for a purpose. you can even look at their secondary weapon if you don't believe me.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 10-06-2008 at 22:57.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Bastarnae aren't Thracians, and the Thracian peltasts are what you would classify as generic Thracian infantry.

Thraikioi Doryphoroi..? Literally means Thracian spear-bearers. Or spear-armed, can't recall. Something with spear.
    Last edited by Hax; 10-07-2008 at 06:39.
    This space intentionally left blank.

but not all use javelins and skhirmishing. some used only swords and shields and was infantry (like in vanilla rtw)

*shrug*

Skudra Tabari...
    This space intentionally left blank.

but not all use javelins and skhirmishing. some used only swords and shields and was infantry (like in vanilla rtw)
    In an ideal world it would be possible to give some members of the unit javelins and not others, but it isn't. Besides, more Thracians would have had javelins than not had them so it doesn't really justify using another unit slot and you don't have to use them as skirmishers in any case.
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

some used only swords and shields and was infantry (like in vanilla rtw)
    you mean like these guys?

haha, or galathraikioi. really, our thracian roster is rather robust. there'll be some alterations for EB2, but i'm not sure i see anywhere that we'd need to add any units for the thracians.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros View Post
    In an ideal world it would be possible to give some members of the unit javelins and not others, but it isn't. Besides, more Thracians would have had javelins than not had them so it doesn't really justify using another unit slot and you don't have to use them as skirmishers in any case.
    i diddnt mean that. but the infantry wasnt skirmishers even though they had javelins, most of them. If they was using skirmishing it was in a much smaller scale, but that wasnt a part of their main use, it was only their fighting style.

If playing as thracians it cant be mostly skirmishers in the army. it has to be infantry.

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

i diddnt mean that. but the infantry wasnt skirmishers even though they had javelins, most of them. If they was using skirmishing it was in a much smaller scale, but that wasnt a part of their main use, it was only their fighting style.

If playing as thracians it cant be mostly skirmishers in the army. it has to be infantry.
    I don't understand at all what you mean. Are Roman legionaries also skirmishers and not infantry since they are equipped with throwing weapons ?
    The unit you suggest is exactly like a thracian peltast when he has thrown all his javelins !

Quote Originally Posted by Spendios View Post
    I don't understand at all what you mean. Are Roman legionaries also skirmishers and not infantry since they are equipped with throwing weapons ?
    The unit you suggest is exactly like a thracian peltast when he has thrown all his javelins !
    you are the first one to understand what I mean. but i dont really know. I know that their infantry are not pelatists. And I know that i cant base an army on skirmishers.

Peltasts aren't only skirmishers. They can also be used as shock infantry, but they certainly aren't line infantry. However the unit you drew was not line infantry either. There are Thracian spearmen. I'm sorry if they are not enough, but as it seems you don't even know what you want. As Paullus said our thracian line-up (where some of the getian troops can also stand in for thracian units) is fairly comprehensive and there really isn't room to expand it any further.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

you are the first one to understand what I mean. but i dont really know. I know that their infantry are not pelatists. And I know that i cant base an army on skirmishers.
    You seem to be hung up on the term "peltast." Just forget that they're peltasts and think of them as Thracian infantry.

The Thraikioi Peltastai are actually exellent infanty. They're actually one of my favourit units.
    But, as has been said, there are quite a loot of Thraikian units, so just adding another, that is basically the same as Thraikioi Peltastai, but without the javelins, seems pointless.
    You have after all (pardon me, if my spelling of these names is incorrect):
    Thraikioi Doryphoroi
    Thraikioi Peltastai
    Thraikioi Romphaiaphoroi
    Taxeis Triballoi
    Thraikioi Hippeis
    Thraikioi Prodromoi

That is four infantry units, and two cavalry units, and in addition to this, you also have some Getic units. I'd say that the Thraikians are one of the more numerous and diverse non-faction roosters.

And Gallathraikes.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Aren't the Tarabostes Thracian too?
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

i was thinking maybe the slovanic Богатйрй (Bogatyeiryei). Fight mounted or dismounted, usually with spears or swords. Records show that they used chainmail with a round-top helm with a nose-guard. Possibly some chain mail hanging off the helm to protect the neck and shoulders form blows. Nothing to protect the legs usually, but the chainmail usually hangs down to the knees. Also used a round medum-sixed shild, probably 2 feet in diameter with a metal handguard or whatever in the middle.

What records, what evidence? Sounds like an interesting unit, but also sounds suspiciously late to me.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Amateur Historian (In College) Member Artorius Maximus's Avatar
    Erring, Caledonia Name: Artorius Maximus Ethnicity: Italic-Illyrian

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaseken View Post
    i was thinking maybe the slovanic Богатйрй (Bogatyeiryei). Fight mounted or dismounted, usually with spears or swords. Records show that they used chainmail with a round-top helm with a nose-guard. Possibly some chain mail hanging off the helm to protect the neck and shoulders form blows. Nothing to protect the legs usually, but the chainmail usually hangs down to the knees. Also used a round medum-sixed shild, probably 2 feet in diameter with a metal handguard or whatever in the middle.
    Wouldn't the early Slavs have been considered Scythians or Sarmatians? That aside, I support new Slavic units, as they are a little underrepresented at the moment.

Also, I would like to see an Illyrian Hoplite unit of some sort, or at least more Illyrian units. At the moment, I think there are only three representing the Illyrian culture. More Balkan-faction units would be nice in general.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Sounds like an interesting unit, but also sounds suspiciously late to me
    You're right. The Bogatiry were a Medieval unit that existed no earlier than 900 AD at the very least. That is, of course, way, way later than the time EB II takes place and such unit would be more appropriate for M2TW.

BTW, speaking of M2TW, I just got it two days ago, tried it and found it to be rubbish. I guess I am just going to play EB I until another better game comes out - if that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    You seem to be hung up on the term "peltast." Just forget that they're peltasts and think of them as Thracian infantry.
    maybe i just dont like that is says "missile" when holding over them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast