Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...of-Arctic.html

Quote Originally Posted by Puttie Poot and Co
    "We must finalise and adopt a federal law on the southern border of Russia's Arctic zone," Mr Medvedev told a meeting of the Security Council, in remarks carried by Interfax news agency.

"This is our responsibility, and simply our direct duty, to our descendents," he said. "We must surely, and for the long-term future, secure Russia's interests in the Arctic."

Global warming has stepped up the fight for the disputed Arctic, believed to be laden with vast reserves of oil and gas. Russia has pitted itself against Canada, Denmark, Norway and the United States to fight for a greater part of the region, arguing that most of it is Russian territory since an underwater ridge links Siberia to the North Pole's seabed.
    The whole flag planting farce was already posted here before but this is an update. Note the line:
    Vladimir Putin, now Russia's prime minister, has said global warming is good for Russia
    Could you imagine the response if a U.S. politician said that?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic

Russia likes to talk big.

Here is a nice map (PDF) over the regions and various claims: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/gra...aarctic106.pdf

CBR

I don't really see why I should be upset that Russia is also making rightful claims to the arctic...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

who wants a bet that russia's submission to the 'international arctic borders committee' are not looking too favourable right now, hence the diplomatic willy waving?
    Last edited by JR-; 09-17-2008 at 16:06.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I don't really see why I should be upset that Russia is also making rightful claims to the arctic...
    Oil... I know you would prefer to pretend oil isn't important and its all evil and so forth, but you have to be completely insane, especially living in Europe, to not care if Russia claims another area rich with a energy resourse. Wait till they turn off the natural gas to you guys then you might think differently
    RIP Tosa

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

As long as its rightful claims then all is fine. I doubt Russia really want to annoy the 4 other countries that are all NATO members and one happening to be a superpower.

CBR

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I didn't see anything in the text or in the quoted words of Medvedev that justifies title of the text:
    "Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic
    President Dmitry Medvedev said that Russia should unilaterally claim part of the Arctic, stepping up the race for the disputed energy-rich region."
    But, then again, I don't see every action of Russia as a deceit that's taking it one step closer to its ultimate goal which is of course world domination...

There are several more nations that had laid claims to the Arctic, Vladimir. Should we make several more threads, one for every nation that has laid claims?

Those bloodthirsty Norwegians! They've remembered their Viking roots, and now want to rule the seas like they once have. Claiming the Arctic is just a first step. We're all doomed, doomed, I tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR View Post
    Russia likes to talk big.

Here is a nice map (PDF) over the regions and various claims: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/gra...aarctic106.pdf

CBR
    I've seen that. And to think Canada and Denmark are involved in a wizzing match over control of that corridor between Baffin Island and Greenland. The arctic, the next colonial scramble.

Oil...
    If only that's all it was about. It's also about potential shipping lanes through the arctic ocean. If warming trends continue the north-west passage will be navigable year round. Which will cut the journey from asia to europe by ship by thousands of kilometres and cut millions in fuel costs.
    Last edited by lars573; 09-17-2008 at 16:36.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Oil... I know you would prefer to pretend oil isn't important and its all evil and so forth, but you have to be completely insane, especially living in Europe, to not care if Russia claims another area rich with a energy resourse. Wait till they turn off the natural gas to you guys then you might think differently
    CBR and Sarmatian has it spot on. They have the same right to make a claim to the arctic as every other country bordering the region, why on earth shouldn't they be allowed to make a just claim to it?

Do we have one set of rules for "us good guys", and another one for "those evil guys"?

also, we aren't importing any oil or gas from russia, we have more than enough of it already and Sarmatian, be quiet, those are secret plans!!!11
    Last edited by HoreTore; 09-17-2008 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I didn't see anything in the text or in the quoted words of Medvedev that justifies title of the text:
    "Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic
    President Dmitry Medvedev said that Russia should unilaterally claim part of the Arctic, stepping up the race for the disputed energy-rich region."
    But, then again, I don't see every action of Russia as a deceit that's taking it one step closer to its ultimate goal which is of course world domination...

There are several more nations that had laid claims to the Arctic, Vladimir. Should we make several more threads, one for every nation that has laid claims?

Those bloodthirsty Norwegians! They've remembered their Viking roots, and now want to rule the seas like they once have. Claiming the Arctic is just a first step. We're all doomed, doomed, I tell you...
    How else would you interpret it?

CBR and Sarmatian has it spot on. They have the same right to make a claim to the arctic as every other country bordering the region, why on earth shouldn't they be allowed to make a just claim to it?

Do we have one set of rules for "us good guys", and another one for "those evil guys"?

also, we aren't importing any oil or gas from russia, we have more than enough of it already and Sarmatian, be quiet, those are secret plans!!!11
    They've previously made the claim, now they're threatening to take it by force.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 09-17-2008 at 16:51.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

I thought that area was already claimed.
    EDIT: Removed hotlinked picture of Santa Claus. Please host pictures yourself. BG
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 09-17-2008 at 18:08. Reason: Hotlinked picture
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Are they really .

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Vladimir Putin, now Russia's prime minister, has said global warming is good for Russia
    Could you imagine the response if a U.S. politician said that?
    I think the world would rejoice - it would mean one step up for Washington from ignoring global warming.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    I think the world would rejoice - it would mean one step up for Washington from ignoring global warming.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Those monsters! EVIL. EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: Re : Russia threatens to seize swathe of Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    ....And a point to Louis! I think that's going down as my quote of the week.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

I very much doubt this is something we need to be concerned about. Hell, many nations have claims to the Arctic. I believe we have more to worry about with Canada:

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...c877101a7&k=77

Wise words from a wise man:

"either we use it or we lose it," said Harper. "And make no mistake, this government intends to use it"
    Last edited by KarlXII; 09-17-2008 at 18:51.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

So? Are you concerned that they'll exterminate the naive humans living on the north pole?

How else would you interpret it?
    They've made the claim and they're stating that they're committed to it. Nothing sensational there... PR move, aimed at Russians...
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 09-17-2008 at 19:15.

They've made the claim and they're stating that they're committed to it. Nothing sensational there... PR move, aimed at Russians...
    Well, it is pretty damn clear that if the arctic is to be divided, Russia deserves a huge chunk of it. I can't see how anyone can justify another solution.

However, Russia is seen as a bad boy these days, so for them to actually get what is right in an orderly and timely manner, I believe they have to be a lot more aggressive than they have been.

I think this is more PR move for Russian public, as it seems it was primarily aimed at them. But, it could be that this is also a statement that they won't be cheated out of their part...

I think this is more PR move for Russian public, as it seems it was primarily aimed at them. But, it could be that this is also a statement that they won't be cheated out of their part...
    Sounds a lot like what my government is doing.... There won't be any threads about that though, we're the good guys

Sounds a lot like what my government is doing.... There won't be any threads about that though, we're the good guys
    Says who? 911 AD, never forget!

Anyway, yea, Russia = Bad. The more power they acquire, the more of a threat they are. I see this move as a threat because I have a basic understanding of their history. It is also against the best interest of most people here to include myself.

Down with dried flowers!

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Anyway, yea, Russia = Bad. The more power they acquire, the more of a threat they are. I see this move as a threat because I have a basic understanding of their history. It is also against the best interest of most people here to include myself.
    Yes, once the Russians launch their polar nukes, we will look at this thread and say "WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED! WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED!"

HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Yes. The West will tremble before the Russian Army when they capture the arctic and deploy the dreaded Snow Cannons of Doom.
    Last edited by CrossLOPER; 09-17-2008 at 21:17.

Well, you've said it all - basic understanding. And what's that in Russian history that is so scary and should make us all afraid? (I have a scary feeling that Krook is going to appear and answer this one)

So.... By that logic, we should all divide up all of Russia's territory and enslave the population...?

So.... By that logic, we should all divide up all of Russia's territory and enslave the population...?
    No, because then the Chinese will get you.... apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    No, because then the Chinese will get you.... apparently.
    Yes, well... We'll divide and enslave the chinese too, then?

That the dollar has a better standing to the Euro than 10 Dollars for a Euro is also against my best interest but I try to keep it to myself.
    So why would the US have a claim in the Arctic? Apart from that backwater Alaska thing up north, the US main land is nowhere near the arctic. And on top of that they bought Alaska from them evil imperial russians who would never give away any of their land....oh...wait...they bought....never mind...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast