Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Gaza Campaign

Default Preview: The Gaza Campaign

PHALANGITAI VIDEO

Low Quality / High Quality / Youtube

THE GAZA CAMPAIGN
    E B I I T u t o r i a l C a m p a i g n
    The year is 313BC and the wars among the Diadochoi are taking their toll on the people of the Eastern Mediterranean. Ambitious generals vie with each other for lordship over the domains of Megas Alexandros and peace is fleeting. Ptolemaios Lagou, an esteemed Strategos and friend to Alexandros, attempts to keep the balance of power spread equally among the Diadochoi, without favouring one man over another. It was he who spirited the body of Megas Alexandros to Alexandreia to be interred so that Perdikkas, the Imperial Regent, could not lay claim to the throne at the expense of the child kings Philippos and Alexandros. In defence of this careful balance he fought Perdikkas on the banks of the Neilos and defeated him in battle, but Ptolemaios refused to accept the title of Regent afterward.

But now a new tyrant has arisen, one Antigonos I Monophthalmos, who threatens to upset the balance of power and throw all of Asia and Greece into turmoil and endless war. This Antigonos had many years earlier incurred the wrath of Perdikkas and had resettled to Makedonia with his son, Demetrios, after losing his seat in Phrygia. There he found favour with Antipatros, Regent of Makedonia, and won influence at the Royal Court. After the death of Perdikkas, Antigonos once again returned to the politics of Asia, having united with the other Strategoi of Alexandros in support of Kassandros against the new Regent of Makedonia, Polyperchon. But his ambitions quickly turned to Asia, and after occupying Babylon, he made attacks on Kypros and Syria, both territories that Ptolemaios considers within his area of influence.

But Ptolemaios Lagou is not alone, for a man with ambitions has many enemies. The other Strategoi, even Kassandros, have joined in an alliance against Antigonos, but it is Ptolemaios who must act. On Kypros the Basileus of Salamis, Nikokles, has been overthrown by rebels backed by Antigonos. Ptolemaios, who has an alliance with Nikokles, has sent his brother, Menelaos, to Kypros where he has also been joined by the fugitive Strategos of Babylon, Seleukos. Together they must win back Salamis and destroy the influence of Antigonos on this island. But Ptolemaios must also be wary of his border with Phoinike and Syria, and so he has sent out his general, Kelles, to the fortress of Pelusion in case of attack from Antigonos or his son, Demetrios.

In this tutorial you will be introduced to some of the new game mechanics that will form part of EBII. You will be introduced to how the authority buildings work, and how they affect public order. You will find out what happens to infrastructure buildings when you conquer new settlements, and how to proceed once control has passed to you. You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies.

CREDITS:
    2D Art: Blank

Historians: abou, keravnos, O'ETAIPOS, paullus, Urnamma

Models: JMRC, Megalos, Prof, Salinoc

Textures: Leif_Eriksson, Martelus Flavius, Megalos, Salinoc

Video Capture: JMRC

Video Edit: Foot

Image Hosting: ImageShack

Video Hosting: Youtube, Rapidshare

Regards,
    The EB Team
    Last edited by Foot; 09-24-2008 at 18:23.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default Re: Announcement: The Gaza Campaign

*faints*

*wakes up*

*faints*

Stunning! Brilliant! Amazing! Beautiful! Awesome! Great! Nice! Neat! Good! Fascinating! Exciting! Cool! Unexpected! Overwhelming!

This Rocks! GO EB TEAM!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Note, the image that is supposed be under the diplomat one doesn´t show for me, just a red X.

Still ******* brilliant!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

There isn't meant to be a picture there. Artifact from an earlier copy of the code.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Note, the description seems to be very biased in Ptolemaios favour.
    Since the EB team would never be unbiased I take it that you will play as Ptolemaios in this tutorial? With Kassandros as an ally of course.

Though seeing as it´s called the The Gaza Campaign perhaps we will simply control Kelles and the provinces near Gaza, not the entire Lagonid empire. In which case it seems unlikely Kassandros will make an actual appearance.

Just how long will this tutorial be? Like 1 year, or like 10? Maybe you´ve eve changed the turns so it takes 10 turns in 1 year or something like that, if it´s possible!
    And I´m guessing there will be quite a bit of scripted stuff, such as Antigonid attacks and stuff.

OH man, oh man, oh man, I´m so exited I can´t hold my selF!
    The Appomination

Oh okay Foot, that is quite alright. I´m just so excited!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

YEAYAEYAYAEYAYEYEA!!! GO EB"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post

In this tutorial you will be introduced to some of the new game mechanics that will form part of EBII. You will be introduced to how the authority buildings work, and how they affect public order. You will find out what happens to infrastructure buildings when you conquer new settlements, and how to proceed once control has passed to you. You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies.

OMG OMGOGMOGMGMGMOGM GOMGOMGG OGMG GOMGG OGMOG GOMG GMG GOGMGM OGMG OGMG OGMG OGMGO OG GOMG GOG G MOGOGMGO GMGO GOGMGMOGMG OGMG GOMGGM OMG OGMG OGGOOG GOMGOGGOMG GOGG GOMGGGO GOGGOG GMG MOG GMOG MO G GOGGMOGOGO OG GO GMOGOGGOGGOGMGMOGG GOMGOMGOMGMOGO OO OMMO GMOGMO GMOGMO GO GMOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOG MOG OM GOGOG OMG MOG MOG OGMOGOMGOGM OMG GMO GO MGO OG OG OMG GMO GMO GMOGMO GMO GMO GMOMO MOG OGM GMO GO GMO GO MG MOGO MOGG MOGO G OG OGO GMO GO MGMO GO MG OMG OGOM MOG GMOG OMG MOGO MGMO OGM OGMOGMGO MGO MOG OGM MOOMGOM OMG GMO GO MGO GMO OGMMOG MOGGMO GMO GMOGMO GMO GMO GMO

TO EXCITED TO PUT IN WORDS!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, who is Leif Eriksson? Sounds Swedish. If he his, I might just... send him some flowers though Eniro. Won´t stalk him down or anything. I swear.
    The Appomination

Okay, Eniro (yellow pages) has 2016 Leif Erikssons. Maybe I should just send some flowers to each one, just to make sure.
    Actually, it seems to can send a lot more than just flowers through Eniro. Candy, chocolate, teddybears, etc.
    Oh oh oh, there´s an Love and Romance section!
    The Appomination

Magnificent! Just as I started reading volume one of 'The House of Ptolemy' the team announces this! Many thanks and congratulations to EB team for this as well as all their hard work on EBII

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Yes you will play as Ptolemaios Lagou (though not all his possessions will be included on the map). The tutorial will start in 313 and last a few days. It will be heavily scripted up until the battle of Gaza, after which the player will get a chance to consolidate power in the Levant. More details will be released for a preview of the tutorial.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

HOLY JESUS!!!! THIS IS UNBELIABAEL GREAT!!IAEGOGNIONAINIOFNNAO

Also:

I´ve just watched the video 4 times, and god dammit it is amazing. Obviously there is still some work left to be done (palm tree up close looked paperthin, general still using MTW2 skin) but it was still the greatest thing I have ever seen! EVER!!!

Simply stunning! Amazing! BRilliant! I love you guys!

Q: Will these few days up until the Battle of Gaza be split into several turns? Would be really nice, but really, everything you guys though is freaking nice!
    The Appomination

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Who like me is a tad disappointed ? We lack elephantry, more cavalrymen etc etc...

Hope it will change soon

PS : I did not see the argyrapisdai are they scrapped too ?

Have a good day!
    Lies we can believe in

How the hell can you be dissapointed!??!? This is the the pinnacle of mankinds evolution!!!!
    The Appomination

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    How the hell can you be dissapointed!??!? This is the the pinnacle of mankinds evolution!!!!
    Calm down a bit. You are a tad ridiculous with your OMG everywhere.
    Lies we can believe in

The palm tree was because the computer used to capture the footage had the vegetation detail set to low.

The fine details of the Gaza Campaign haven't be decided so it would be premature to make any comments about it beyond what has already been said.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
    Calm down a bit. You are a tad ridiculous with your OMG everywhere.
    I´ll have you know, that I - as I am sure many respectable gentlemen will testify - I use my OMG´s very sparingly, and only for occasion which I deem deservant of such level of excitement. This just so happens to be one of those occasions.

So, I repeat: OMG
    The Appomination

Who like me is a tad disappointed ? We lack elephantry, more cavalrymen etc etc...

Hope it will change soon

Have a good day!
    We literally have to remake every single unit from scratch. We cannot use any element from EBI because the process in doing so is roughly as long as making a unit from scratch. So give us a break and be happy with what we have done. We are no where near the stage where even a 1/10 of the units are done, so elephantry and other rather rare units won't be being made anytime soon.

I'm suprised that your disappointed. Do you know how much work is still to be done?

If you want the first preview you see to be closer to the finished article I would wait a year before coming back to these forums. We might be nearer completion then.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Yeah, go FOOT, screw Tintin´s Nemesis!

I´m sorry if I come off as rather blunt and offensive, but these news have simply excited me so much that I bubble and burst and explode! GO EB!
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    Yeah, go FOOT, screw Tintin´s Nemesis!

I´m sorry if I come off as rather blunt and offensive, but these news have simply excited me so much that I bubble and burst and explode! GO EB!
    I can´t blame you g. Appo, I too am way more excited about this than....well just about anything that has happened this summer...or year...

@ EB Team
    ZOMG!!!
    Thanks for that! did not want to ruin the trailer with youtube graphics so im still waiting for the download to be finished but from the sneakpeek I took: amazing!
    Last edited by ombudsman; 09-24-2008 at 21:43.

If you want my reaction to the video in short, here's the recipe.

Take General Appo's reaction, mix it with some religious zealousness, love for the MTWII graphic engine, and some special ingredients and you get an excitement bomb, that even Appo's "OMG"s can't fulfil.

Splendid job, EB team, just magnificent. (add all the superlatives you know).

I can't wait for the end product, yet I can see that it will be mind-blowing!

Thumbs up Re: Announcement: The Gaza Campaign

ZOMFGZ!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!! WOW!!!!!
    YES YES YES!!!

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!! FOOT, EB TEAM, YOUR WORK IS GLORIOUS, AND COMPARES IN MAGNIFICENCE TO THAT OF THE SUN ITSELF!!! OMFG!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Appo
    Leif Eriksson
    The Norse Leif Eriksson was the son of Erik the Red, and was supposedly one of the first Europeans to set foot in North America, circa 1000 A.D. Attempting to sail to Greenland from Iceland(I think), a storm blew his ship(s) off course, and he eventually reached land somewhere in Northern Canada. After exploring for some time, it is believed he reached modern-day eastern Canada(the exact site is debatable) and named it Vinland after its wild grapes. I can't remember who exactly established the small settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland and Labrador, nor do I remember the exact details. Anyways, they eventually dispersed due to civil strife and vicious skirmishes with the native First Nations, the "Skraelings", of the area.

This is from my memory. I believe this is now generally accepted as being factual. Here's the wikki link: L'Anse aux Meadows
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 09-24-2008 at 22:09.

uhh...

uhh...

I'm quite speechless, actually!

This is the best news for months, all categories.
    For months!?! Who am I kidding?
    It's the best news ever!!!

Thanks a lot, Foot!
    Go EB!!!

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Guys, you are awesome.
    Beautiful video.
    The few sentences about game mechanics are very interesting too. It seems that EBII will be far more than just complex.

I can wait for the game (the unsage of the term "mod" was unfair for EBI, for this project it would be blasphemy ). I will wait patiently. And I expect EBII to be the most challenging strategy game ever.
    I'm just afraid that I will have to play it with access to a good dictionary.
    But thats okay because it will not only teach me a lot of things I didn't know about classic age (I'm mainly interested in far earlier periods of human history like sumerian or the early indian or mesoamerican culture) but also english terms that are uncommon. Nice.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 09-24-2008 at 23:38.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Hope it will change soon

Have a good day!
    What a nice guy. Hell, you can come home and and screw my sister.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Thumbs up Re: Announcement: The Gaza Campaign

I SERIOUSLY CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THIS COMES OUT!!! (in a yr or two) However, I'm still trying to buy this uber laptop and it turns out there isn't any left!!!! I'm awaiting a call from my fav comp place to see if they have this other uber laptop for me. Whatever the case may be, WOOT WOOT WOOT for EB and the EB TEAM!!! WOOOOOOT!!!!

What I really find awesome is the contrast in the Hellenistic units. OMG, the various armour and shield emblems is just a killer!! WOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    What a nice guy.
    No kidding. I was disgusted when I read that ungrateful comment, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    Hell, you can come home and and screw my sister.
    *perks up* Damn! Is she hot?!
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 09-25-2008 at 01:50.

This looks to be one of the most fun tutorials I have ever seen made for a game (ironic that its a free game and the workers volunteers and not paid).

However, unfinished 1.1 campaigns, school and the fact EB II won't be out until at least fall 09', pressures me to wait until the next summer to learn up on all the new things EBII will have to offer and enjoy EB on the M2TW:K engine.

As soon as I get my first job, you can bet I will be contributing my first paycheck (minimum wage is better then nothing right?) to the EB team. Very nice work.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Nice preview.

Those guys charging at the phalanx were rather ankward. They stopped in a wierd way when they reached the pikes.

Other than that, nicely done. :)
    EDIT: Also nice idea, making a tutorial. It is crucial making the learning curve about EB's "more realistic" mechanics less steep, making sure you win over some of those people who don't play overly complicated games.
    Last edited by Jolt; 09-25-2008 at 05:52.
    BLARGH!

EB Concept Artist Member fenix3279's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    *perks up* Damn! Is she hot?!
    Depends. Where do you stand on the "once you've had fat, you never go back" debate?

Last edited by fenix3279; 09-25-2008 at 08:50.
    My balloon collection

That which does not kill me makes me stronger ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

When you smoke the herb, it reveals to yourself ~ Bob Marley

Professional work as usual EB team, congratulations with those beautiful units and the excellent ideas of the tutorial and those reflected herein :

This looks amazing!

It's good to know that, at some point, M2TW will finally be worth playing.

Funny how EB took what I saw as a giant waste of money (RTW), and turned it into one of my favorite games of all time ;)
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

My EB Faction Wallpapers:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=120204

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast