Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are ambakaro epones historically correct ?

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Default Are ambakaro epones historically correct ?

I mean it's a bit stupid for a skirmishing cavalry to have a facemask.
    Lies we can believe in

Default Re: Are ambakaro epones historically correct ?

I'm sorry. Your argument against our archaelogical and textual evidence is that its stupid.

I've made up my mind now. You are a troll.

However, to give your overworked mind some rest I'll just mention the following - they aren't skirmisher cavalry, they are medium cavalry equipped with javelins (as many cavalry are wont to do in this age). Not all soldiers would have worn facemasks, but archaelogical evidence suggests that some did. As we cannot give different helments to soldiers in the same unit we went for the facemask option because its quite a beautiful object that hadn't appeared on any soldier thus far.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Dear fellow, not to draw too fine a point, however...

I believe the interiors were lined; overall used to protect the face against missiles and the cold?

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 09-25-2008 at 07:17.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
    I mean it's a bit stupid for a skirmishing cavalry to have a facemask.
    And I think it's a bit stupid to fight naked in the middle of winter...
    So I'm sure that makes the Gaesatae completely unhistorical too.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    I think it's a bit stupid to fight. Does that make wars unhistorical
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    Thats why most countries campaigned during the warmer months.

Quote Originally Posted by tls5669 View Post
    Thats why most countries campaigned during the warmer months.
    Yeah, I know.

I just like sarcasm and a nice hyperbole now and then.
    I could have written the part about fighting and war being a bit stupid, but I was a bit too stupid to come up with that
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 09-25-2008 at 20:28.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

I haven't seen this unit yet, which factions can this unit be recruited by?

Read this page: https://www.europabarbarorum.com/fac...nan_units.html
    They are Elite Medium cavalry, and it's on the website. Should have read the description on there before asking about historical accuracy.

And download this
    Recruitment Viewer: https://www.europabarbarorum.com/downloads_misc.html
    Last edited by ThePianist; 09-26-2008 at 01:55.
    Finished EB campaigns:
    Sweboz 1.0

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Are ambakaro epones historically correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePianist View Post
    And download this
    Recruitment Viewer: https://www.europabarbarorum.com/downloads_misc.html
    Keep in mind that the recruitment viewer on the website is for EB1.0, not 1.1. The one that is included with the modification itself is for EB1.1, but does not contain the unit cards.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Done :P
    Last edited by Eduorius; 10-06-2008 at 04:48.

In before the lock.

Anyway, the above poster..posted some interesting pictures. Obviously they would have moved up the facemask while throwing Javelins, but due to the Assery of CA we can't make them "Switch" like that

Feels obvious man.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Are ambakaro epones historically correct ?

Assery? I am as disappointed as anyone about CA lack of helpfulness towards the modding community, but this is unreasonable. R:TW is a game, not a fully flexible modding platform, and it's unrealistic to expect it to be. I have yet to see a major video game without hardcodes of some sort.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Why would CA even include such a thing? None of their units used facemasks and even if they did the extra work to include such an option seems to far exceed the reasons for including it. Stop CA bashing just because you feel the need to. There are areas where I would have liked to have seen more help from CA, but this is certainly not one of them. All in all CA are probably one of the few developers who actually give a rats arse about their modding community.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Hmmm, are those movable visors??
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Movable in the sense: you can move your helmet in its entirety to the back of your head? Similar to a hood? Apparently, yes. But I do not see any mechanism to make it work the way you probably meant -- I see no (possible) moving parts on those pictures. The face masks appear to be directly integrated with the main components of the helmet.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Assery? I am as disappointed as anyone about CA lack of helpfulness towards the modding community, but this is unreasonable. R:TW is a game, not a fully flexible modding platform, and it's unrealistic to expect it to be. I have yet to see a major video game without hardcodes of some sort.
    I just needed to have some sort of reason to say "Assery"

But yes basically what I meant was that it was impossible :P
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by Eduorius View Post

Well i'm sure the helm *could* be tilted back from the forehead but when i see the position of the neckguard it seems to be sitting normally on the head and with the facemask clapped up :)

And i see "something" that look like hinges ;)

Where are these pictures from?? They seem quite old.
    Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 09-29-2008 at 17:31.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchhoplite View Post
    Well i'm sure the helm *could* be tilted back from the forehead but when i see the position of the neckguard it seems to be sitting normally on the head and with the facemask clapped up :)

And i see "something" that look like hinges ;)

Where are these pictures from?? They seem quite old.
    clonde de clonard, 1861, IIRC. I use them to make spanish uniforms for the seven years war, along with the album de taccoli; these plates are from the associacion de modelissimo de Alabarda, so I'd like to ask the moderator to remove those pics; there is no permission to use them, and they are copyrighted (I and my boss had to wrte to them for permission to use, copy or distribute these). unless the guy who posted them is a member of course.

here is a work of mine (the template)

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.p...oledo_Infantry
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-29-2008 at 18:39.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    clonde de clonard, 1861, IIRC. I use them to make spanish uniforms for the seven years war, along with the album de taccoli; these plates are from the associacion de modelissimo de Alabarda, so I'd like to ask the moderator to remove those pics; there is no permission to use them, and they are copyrighted (I and my boss had to wrte to them for permission to use, copy or distribute these). unless the guy who posted them is a member of course.

here is a work of mine (the template)

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.p...oledo_Infantry
    If these images were published in 1861 then they are in the public domain now.

If its 1861 those pictures are surely not under copyright any more. Besides, I'm pretty sure they would fall under a fair use policy.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

For once, Foot got owned.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    For once, Foot got owned.

hardly...he's 100% correct about the copyright issue
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    If its 1861 those pictures are surely not under copyright any more. Besides, I'm pretty sure they would fall under a fair use policy.

Foot
    actually, ownership is still expressed. I'm well aware that this is beyond the c.75 years post mortem of the author(s), but the Alabarda associacion claims it as property-so no, no publishing. we are lucky at kronoskaf to have a few pages of the conde to display outside of the Alabarda; we cannot publish a single page of the Album de taccoli, from 1759. that one is owned by Mr. Torres. nice guy- really helpful. only he, my boss, and myself ever looked inside of it. and I swore not to show a single page-just the result.

so in summation: fair use applies if the author was dead for over 75 years, and ownership/ claim was not made on the work. sorry. I'd normally say yes, but the works are claimed, so plz.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-29-2008 at 21:43.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

actually, ownership is still expressed. I'm well aware that this is beyond the c.75 years post mortem of the author(s), but the Alabarda associacion claims it as property-so no, no publishing. we are lucky at kronoskaf to have a few pages of the conde to display outside of the Alabarda; we cannot publish a single page of the Album de taccoli, from 1759. that one is owned by Mr. Torres. nice guy- really helpful. only he, my boss, and myself ever looked inside of it. and I swore not to show a single page-just the result.

so in summation: fair use applies if the author was dead for over 75 years, and ownership/ claim was not made on the work. sorry. I'd normally say yes, but the works are claimed, so plz.

fair use (only applies when there is a valid copyright. if a work is no longer under copyright, fair use is not applicable and the work can be used freely

http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/definiti.shtml

Fair Use

The right set forth in Section 107 of the United States Copyright Act, to use copyrighted materials for certain purposes, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair: (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
    Last edited by mcantu; 09-29-2008 at 21:58.
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

I see. then I'll ned to have a talk with someone...

but it raises the question: why not let us publish the stuff(Album and what have you), without permission? I mean, If indeed what you say is true (and it is), why the ban? I even have the letter from torres copied by the boss.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-29-2008 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    hardly...he's 100% correct about the copyright issue
    I was referring to the fact that Foot´s post was preceded with a very short time by another poster saying pretty much the same thing. Foot owned me in the same way a few days ago. Revenge is sweet.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

I see. then I'll ned to have a talk with someone...

but it raises the question: why not let us publish the stuff(Album and what have you), without permission? I mean, If indeed what you say is true (and it is), why the ban? I even have the letter from torres copied by the boss.

well if its their own personal property, they can do (or not do) whatever they want with it. if there are already images of the plates in circulation, then they have no say over how those are used.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    I was referring to the fact that Foot´s post was preceded with a very short time by another poster saying pretty much the same thing. Foot owned me in the same way a few days ago. Revenge is sweet.
    Tell us what his underwear smells like, Appo.

Cherries. With banana icecream. Fabulous.
    The Appomination

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast