Hippeis Kleruchoi (doubtfully used ?)

Wha I would like to see :
    Hippeis Garamantines
    Hippeis Libyoi
    Sidonian Hippeis
    Felt Cataphracts
    Lies we can believe in

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default Re: Ptolemaic Cavalry in EBII

Maybe they havn´t decided yet, and even if they have, they´re very unlikely to reveal it in this thread. Will most likely be revealed in a Stele or some such.

BTW, could´t you just have asked your question in one thread, instead of making several ones?
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

We are not at a point where we can comment on the inclusion of such units.

Return in a year.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
    Wha I would like to see :
    Hippeis Garamantines
    Hippeis Libyoi
    Sidonian Hippeis
    Felt Cataphracts
    I'd be curious to hear what evidence you have to justify the inclusion of these units?

If your evidence for the Hippeis "Lybioi" is the account of the battle of Raphia, you do realize that that mention almost certainly refers to cleruch cavalrymen "from Libya," and not actual Libyans? So that unit is already represented in the Hippeis Klerouchoi.

As for the felt cataphracts, their mention in Agatharchides makes clear that they were a one-off and an anomaly, which doesn't really justify having a whole unit slot taken up with them, and even then, the description of the unit states that only the vanguard of the formation were equipped with felt coverings for rider and horse.

you doubt the use of the klerouchoi hippeis? on what grounds? as for the others, what makes you think "sidonian hippeis" would be at all different from other mounted hellenic/hellenizing units? what's your evidence for garamantine hippeis as a ptolemaic unit?

the one on our current list i'm not sold on is the machimoi hippeis. aside from that there could be some name or armament changes.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios