Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Georgia Be Admitted to NATO?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Post Should Georgia Be Admitted to NATO?

In my opinion it's a rotten idea. Some others have commented on it, such as NRO:

It is a relief that Georgia was not permitted into NATO ahead of Russia's clearly orchestrated invasion. Yes, you heard correctly, a relief.

Why? Here's why: Is there anyone who thinks for a second that any of the NATO members would have risen to the occasion to defend a newly admitted Georgia against "mighty Russia"?

It is much more than possible that Russian armor would have been confronted with flurries of impenetrable "strongly worded statements." Kind of like now. Only, had NATO failed to rise to defend a member state — which is wholly plausible — NATO would have been exposed as nothing more than the paper it is constructed around.

There may be some credibility to the claim that NATO membership would have served as a deterrent for Russia, thus preventing the invasion. Perhaps. Credibility, but not assurance. And what if Putin, who cares little about world opinion (perhaps his greatest asset), had called the NATO bluff? Then what?

Malcolm Rifkind
    :

Yet weak is exactly how the West will be perceived if it extends NATO membership to nations it has no intention of defending. Had Georgia already been a member of the defensive alliance, it is less likely that Russia would have behaved in the way it did.

However, it is not unlikely. The Caucasus are vital to the security of Russia's most southerly regions. Had deterrence failed, there is very little chance that the Russian invasion could have been repelled. As a result, the guarantee of Article Five which Western European countries have relied on since the dawn of the Cold War would have been shattered, together with NATO's credibility.

The issue at hand, at least for political leaders in Western Europe, is not just whether it is in the interests of Georgia and Ukraine to join NATO. It is whether it is in the interests of existing members to admit them.

Another Orgah has expressed a rather messianic view that not only should Georgia be admitted to NATO, but so should Russia once they behave "acceptably." What, I am forced to wonder, is the point of a defense treaty if it becomes universal? Does it then mean anything?

Default Re: Should Georgia Be Admitted to NATO?

No. Georgia is incapable of being a serious military asset to the rest of NATO in the case of war and admitting them would just be a provocative move against Russia. It would be like Russia signing an alliance with Canada or Mexico to align against us, like you stated in the other thread.
    Last edited by Koga No Goshi; 09-27-2008 at 05:19.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Only nations that have something major to contribute militarily should be allowed to join NATO. If you believe Georgia can contribute, they should join. If not, they should not join.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

If Russia invaded a NATO Georgia would be the same as Nazi Germany invaded Poland. Nothing could really be done in time to save the country, but the fighting would erupt elsewhere and that elsewhere might not run as well for the Russians as their Georgian campaign did. To be honest, comparing fighting Georgia's minuscule army in a six days war with fighting the entire NATO alliance is wierd. That taking off from the premise that NATO would fulfill it's duty to defend every single member in the alliance (As it honestly should and without any hesitation)

The problem is the distance that goes on between being a member of NATO and not being.

As for being a valuable asset, the only one I can immediatly remember is about opening a Southern front against the Russians, fighting the Russians together with most of the Turkish Army.
    Last edited by Jolt; 09-27-2008 at 05:32.
    BLARGH!

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Georgia and Ukraine could help solidify a NATO naval presence in the black sea that would be otherwise closed off to real deterrent. Plus I don't believe that Russia would have done what it had if they were part of NATO. The jig will be up once they are in the alliance. Also, Georgian leadership will be much less russophobic after they feel more secure.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

White Panther (Legalize Weed!) Member AlexanderSextus's Avatar

Isnt it the North Atlantic Treaty organization for a reason??? last time i checked the Pontus Euxine isnt the North atlantic by a long shot...Only country who gets an exception to that in my book is turkey.

(another half joke...The debate tonight started this....)
    Last edited by AlexanderSextus; 09-27-2008 at 05:48.
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Admitting Georgia into NATO won't really benefit the organization, however, should Russian aggression persist in the Caucasus, Georgia may be either A. The first campaign in a NATO-Russian War or B. The country that exposes NATO as, as stated before, the paper it is constructed around.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

The United States agreed not to expand NATO into Russia's Sphere of Influence and they should stand by that. Doing anything else will just lead to large-scale conflict with Russia as it becomes increasingly desperate to try to leave a mark on this world.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Keeping NATO as it is will most likely be better for Russia and NATO alike in that it will cause less irritation to both parties and allow for ample security on both sides.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Fortunately they will still most likely be brought into the fold irrespective of the judgments on this forum. If Russia is going to start a nuclear war because its border nations realize westernized security - then they are a legitimate threat to guard against. They are a dying breed - a hyper-nationalist, isolated, paranoid, rogue power. We need to tame the wild beast and get them acquainted with a solid west. We've started a confederacy of western States - they think they don't want in, but they do.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-27-2008 at 14:42.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

georgia? Possibly - the pipeline is an asset worth protecting.
    Ukraine? Definitely.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

One question.

What about Russia in the EU? :P
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Fortunately they will still most likely be brought into the fold irrespective of the judgments on this forum. If Russia is going to start a nuclear war because its border nations realize westernized security - then they are a legitimate threat to guard against. They are a dying breed - a hyper-nationalist, isolated, paranoid, rogue power. We need to tame the wild beast and get them acquainted with a solid west. We've started a confederacy of western States - they think they don't want in, but they do.
    Democratic states on the border are not an issue. Western-backed half-hearted democracies led by President Idiot, dotted with NATO military bases and missile sites pointing at Moscow are an issue.

Really, you seem to love the idea of going to a war with Russia. As Lemur told you in the other thread, go join the Georgian army. Be the first to fight before the menace. That is assuming that you don't start having a bad taste after a month or so.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

You'd figure at some-point in time someone would've warned us against entangling alliances.....oh well
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    You'd figure at some-point in time someone would've warned us against entangling alliances.....oh well
    But that was about, what, 300 years ago? You don't think anything's changed?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    But that was about, what, 300 years ago? You don't think anything's changed?
    I am a huge proponent of the KISS method of goverment
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    Democratic states on the border are not an issue. Western-backed half-hearted democracies led by President Idiot, dotted with NATO military bases and missile sites pointing at Moscow are an issue.

Really, you seem to love the idea of going to a war with Russia. As Lemur told you in the other thread, go join the Georgian army. Be the first to fight before the menace. That is assuming that you don't start having a bad taste after a month or so.
    I couldn't really sum up my analysis of it any better. I think the front that this is legitimate concern for Georgia or legitimate concern over supposed international interests we have in Georgia is pretense for bellicosity towards Russia. NATO is a military alliance, and should not be an ideological pulpit, if Georgia can be a meaningful part of NATO fine. If not, admitting them just to sap at Russia's borders is provocative and not worth the risk of war.
    Koga no Goshi

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    I couldn't really sum up my analysis of it any better. I think the front that this is legitimate concern for Georgia or legitimate concern over supposed international interests we have in Georgia is pretense for bellicosity towards Russia. NATO is a military alliance, and should not be an ideological pulpit, if Georgia can be a meaningful part of NATO fine. If not, admitting them just to sap at Russia's borders is provocative and not worth the risk of war.
    NATO is security. It helps nations (except for ours) to focus on their domestic reforms rather than elect strongmen to protect them from invasion. Russia will be part of it one day if they cut the crap and recognize that we don't want a fight. It isn't a threat to Russia as it is not like the U.S. empire is knocking at their door - as many European anti-Americans can attest to. If we were annexing land their reservations would make sense - but we are not, so they don't.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

[NATO] isn't a threat to Russia as it is not like the U.S. empire is knocking at their door - as many European anti-Americans can attest to.
    Um, yeah, see, here's the problem — that's not how Russia sees it. And I doubt they will ever take such a benign view of NATO. Remember that the alliance was formed with the express purpose of containing the Soviet Union and responding to them militarily. That's a fact that is not lost on Russia.

I seriously doubt they want to join NATO, and any attempt to get them in would end in bitter failure. That's just la-la fantasyland, man.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

If they want to preserve their freedom from Russia, don't enter, Georgia.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Um, yeah, see, here's the problem — that's not how Russia sees it. And I doubt they will ever take such a benign view of NATO. Remember that the alliance was formed with the express purpose of containing the Soviet Union and responding to them militarily. That's a fact that is not lost on Russia.

I seriously doubt they want to join NATO, and any attempt to get them in would end in bitter failure. That's just la-la fantasyland, man.
    Is it?

2000 - Putin mentions his desire to join NATO
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...to-722225.html

Gorbachev suggested it after the fall of the Soviet Union

Yeltsin suggested it as well
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A967958260

I guess I'm dancing around la-la fantasy land. With the expansion of the EU and eventual centralization of that state, the U.S. will no doubt look for a counterweight in the alliance that Canada simply can't provide. We could use that as an excuse to help create a central Asian union similar to the one the Russian Federation has been working on. I'm all about expanding security and helping nations rely less on military deterrence. NATO has provided an excuse for European nations to spend drastically less on defense. Russia is looking for security from China above all else and needs to realize that the west will be an ally; they are part of the west for craps sake.

The whole deal is this - If someone was to say 70 years ago that European nations would be part of one superstate without violent annexation people would call you crazy - possibly in la-la land. It is possible and desirable to create a superstate in central Asia within NATO - with the practical purpose of containing China and India and promoting democratic, socio-capitalist expansion. It also wouldn't be bad to have a massive, functional state that holds massive energy reserves and a small population within the confines of NATO.

It is necessary for security, it is desirable for both parties, and it is doable in the long term. Why is that fantasy land?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-28-2008 at 23:11.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think these fancy arguments all still basically dance around the fact that Georgia is not a significant factor in the balance of power between the west and Russia. Playing around with this is just a pretext to provoke confrontation, IMHO.
    Koga no Goshi

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    I think these fancy arguments all still basically dance around the fact that Georgia is not a significant factor in the balance of power between the west and Russia. Playing around with this is just a pretext to provoke confrontation, IMHO.
    Maybe my "fancy arguments" can be my dancing partner when we are dancing around la-la fantasy land?

Yes - we are trying to provoke confrontation. Why shouldn't we want to de-stabilize the one thing that is keeping China out of the largest, most resource dense, least populated per square mile country in the world?

Why do we want a weak or hostile Russia? We simply want a democratic Russia that is a responsible player in global progression.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-28-2008 at 23:36.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If Russia were to enter NATO, we wouldn't need NATO.....
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO); is a military alliance established by the signing of the North Atlantic Treaty on 4 April 1949. The NATO headquarters are in Brussels, Belgium, [3] and the organization constitutes a system of collective defense whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.
    Why would any rational person want to get rid of that?

We'd still need it against any threats coming from south, east or west of the North Atlantic.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-29-2008 at 00:15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Well, you know, except for defending against China, India, and any other potential superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Well, you know, except for defending against China, India, and any other potential superpower.
    It's only about defense in the last instance. It is really about helping people to relax, avoid autocracy and spend money on the things that make the world a better place. It's funny how a military alliance can do that and all anyone hears is "military".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    One question.

What about Russia in the EU? :P
    Never happen Russia is too big geographically the E.U. could never pay for all the stuff to build, fix up, reform etc etc. For Russia to enter into membership talks current members would have to approve thats obviously not going to happen for reasons we all already are aware of. Then there is also the problem that Russia governments really see things a bit differant to the rest of us I see nascent democracy they see encirclement of enemies.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Is it?

2000 - Putin mentions his desire to join NATO
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...to-722225.html

Gorbachev suggested it after the fall of the Soviet Union

Yeltsin suggested it as well
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A967958260

I guess I'm dancing around la-la fantasy land. With the expansion of the EU and eventual centralization of that state, the U.S. will no doubt look for a counterweight in the alliance that Canada simply can't provide. We could use that as an excuse to help create a central Asian union similar to the one the Russian Federation has been working on. I'm all about expanding security and helping nations rely less on military deterrence. NATO has provided an excuse for European nations to spend drastically less on defense. Russia is looking for security from China above all else and needs to realize that the west will be an ally; they are part of the west for craps sake.

The whole deal is this - If someone was to say 70 years ago that European nations would be part of one superstate without violent annexation people would call you crazy - possibly in la-la land. It is possible and desirable to create a superstate in central Asia within NATO - with the practical purpose of containing China and India and promoting democratic, socio-capitalist expansion. It also wouldn't be bad to have a massive, functional state that holds massive energy reserves and a small population within the confines of NATO.

It is necessary for security, it is desirable for both parties, and it is doable in the long term. Why is that fantasy land?
    It is a desirable and even possibly a noble objective to increase the EU/NATO even up to and including Russia. Desirable but its not doable first they have to want it since they think they have the upper hand with oil and gas reserves short term they wont.

Long term as China and Indian expand they will court Russia for its energy at first Russia will be top dog but the whip will be passed to the new guy eventually. This means Russia will become a toy of bigger powers.

Even now its unlikey Russia could beat a mid ranking nato member since you cant just magic up strength I predict a very humble Russia in less than twenty yrs. Russia and even EU members Talked a lot lately about a concept called a multipolar world well guess what not all poles will be equal.

If that becomes true no superpower would want a potential flashpoint country with resentful minority populations in its alliance as these can lead downs roads you never intended hence Kosovo.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Why would any rational person want to get rid of that?

We'd still need it against any threats coming from south, east or west of the North Atlantic.
    Who really could be a threat against Europe, Russia and America? China? Please. India? What?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast