Thread: W

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default W

I cannot believe this. The man's not even out of the white house yet, and there's a movie about him?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: W

Don't worry- you'll like it. Brolin plays Bush and it's directed by Stone. It's pretty much guaranteed to be unflattering.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Don't worry- you'll like it. Brolin plays Bush and it's directed by Stone. It's pretty much guaranteed to be unflattering.
    As opposed to...... a more factual, flattering account? ;)
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

I'd like to see the portrayal.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Is Michael Moore directing?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Is Arnie coming back?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Is Spider-Man finally going to vanquish Green Goblin? Stay tuned.

Any biography of Bush should really be a guide to the coming president of "what not to do".
    BLARGH!

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Vice-President did it.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

wow. a movie about bush, arguably the worst republican president weve ever had (James Buchanan wins as worst dem). thats pretty low i think.... i mean, whats the point? most Americans hate him anyhow, no point making him look even more like .
    and by the time this will be out bush will be out....
    w/e....
    probably end up like the other liberal, bush bashing movies- dumb, not really watched and given low ratings....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    wow. a movie about bush, arguably the worst republican president weve ever had (James Buchanan wins as worst dem). thats pretty low i think.... i mean, whats the point? most Americans hate him anyhow, no point making him look even more like .
    and by the time this will be out bush will be out....
    w/e....
    probably end up like the other liberal, bush bashing movies- dumb, not really watched and given low ratings....
    I think maybe you don't appreciate how many Americans out there don't just feel like "ugh I didn't like him", like many Republicans probably felt about Clinton. But that many of us have felt like we've been living in a damn nightmare for 8 years with someone gleefully destroying civil liberties and helping to expedite the gutting of our middle class. Even if someone went into office openly saying "I want to hurt and weaken this country as much as I can", I am not sure they could do a better job than Bush has.
    Koga no Goshi

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am waiting for Admiral Ackbar to come into the election scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Why would Cindy McCain come in? Oh snap.
    Koga no Goshi

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I'm waiting for the W. C. Fields/ Groucho Marx ticket.

I think we've both got a long wait ahead of us.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I remember going to see Stone's film about Nixon. As a friend remarked leaving the theater, "I don't know enough about that period of time, and having seen this film, I feel like I know less."

I giver very low odds to this being a good movie, much less a worthy evaluation of the last eight years. Art turns to junk when it's propaganda.

IT'S A TRAP!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I remember going to see Stone's film about Nixon. As a friend remarked leaving the theater, "I don't know enough about that period of time, and having seen this film, I feel like I know less."

I giver very low odds to this being a good movie, much less a worthy evaluation of the last eight years. Art turns to junk when it's propaganda.
    Lemur, you make it sound as though Hollywood is full of historically accurate, factual accounts of real world events and this will be the deviation. ;) I can't even go see movies about so called "history" because they are so full of made up things and forced-in love stories superimposed over the events that I become ill. (Pearl Harbor anyone?)

It bugs me even when it is distant history and/or has few "hard source" accounts to base it on. I always feel like, if you're just going to make up a story... get an original script, completely fiction, and produce that instead. I mean, I may have been in the 1% of the audience who saw "Troy" and had actually read the old Homeric epics, for example... but I was like what?! Agamemnon died when he returned home! And Achilles brought his beloved "cousin" to war with him? Oh my god, I know why they changed that, but that's ghetto! I was having a little paroxysm. Hahaha.
    Koga no Goshi

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    Lemur, you make it sound as though Hollywood is full of historically accurate, factual accounts of real world events and this will be the deviation. ;) I can't even go see movies about so called "history" because they are so full of made up things and forced-in love stories superimposed over the events that I become ill. (Pearl Harbor anyone?)

It bugs me even when it is distant history and/or has few "hard source" accounts to base it on. I always feel like, if you're just going to make up a story... get an original script, completely fiction, and produce that instead. I mean, I may have been in the 1% of the audience who saw "Troy" and had actually read the old Homeric epics, for example... but I was like what?! Agamemnon died when he returned home! And Achilles brought his beloved "cousin" to war with him? Oh my god, I know why they changed that, but that's ghetto! I was having a little paroxysm. Hahaha.
    Yeah, too right! Like when I went to see that Shakespeare dude, boy was that rubbish history! Richard III was a hunchback would you believe, and don't get me started on Cymbeline. I felt so cheated that he made that stuff up.

In other words, authors have always used historical events as a basis for their work. By all means criticise a film for being awful, but not that it is historically inaccurate.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : W

Meh, I'm not a fan of Stone. He takes himself much too seriously. He has very specific ideas about his historical subjects, which he then builds an entire movie around. Usually, I find the idea rather uninteresting, or worse, and the movie eminently unwatchable. (JFK, Alexander)

The guy should just start a blog for his conspiracy theories political ideas and use his not inconsiderable cinematic talent to make non-biographical movies.

My choice for actor to portray W would be Leslie Nielsen.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : W

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    My choice for actor to portray W would be Leslie Nielsen.
    Nah mate, Rowan Atkinson. Sorry hang on, I've heard he's pencilled in to do Brown in the 'The Way of the Clunking Fist'.

In that case Lee Evans. He's got the hair and the ears already.
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 09-29-2008 at 13:21.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Nah mate, Rowan Atkinson. Sorry hang on, I've heard he's pencilled in to do Brown in the 'The Way of the Clunking Fist'.

He could certainly do the job; slap a faux-Texas accent on 'im. God, does he ever breathe?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

There is only one man worthy of this role:

THE SHAT

They both talk equally slowly and neither of them really makes sense...

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Funny, eh? All the folks nominated here to portray W = non-americans (Neilsen & Shatner = Canadian, Evans = Brit). You all may be right: it'll be a few years before an american can "get" Bush right.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

IMO it is too early for this movie. From what I have seen it looks like there is a lot about his time as an adult but before becoming president. I don’t know much about this time and I am guessing not many people do so it will be easy for most of the mouth-breathers to take it as fact. I will watch it as a rental.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post

He might be able to pull it off. His American accent in Something About Mary was pretty good (the directors thought his English accent was fake!), but I'm not sure he could slow it down enough for Bush's pacing. He would definitely have to lay off the cocaine...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Yeah, too right! Like when I went to see that Shakespeare dude, boy was that rubbish history! Richard III was a hunchback would you believe, and don't get me started on Cymbeline. I felt so cheated that he made that stuff up.

In other words, authors have always used historical events as a basis for their work. By all means criticise a film for being awful, but not that it is historically inaccurate.
    Why not? You know what "based on" is? That's like the new Battlestar Galactica saying it was heavily influenced by the 9/11 attacks. (The opening attack sequences simulate the same feelings Americans had of just being totally blindsided.) Or saying that Tolkein wrote LOTR from his impressions of World War. Of course authors have always been inspired by grand historical events, and used them as the basis for things in works of fiction.

I just fail to see why you want to make a "historical" movie, with "historical" figures and "historical battles", if you're then going to fictionalize everything. I promise you, there are thousands upon thousands of fiction scripts sitting unread in studios, where companies bought the rights but haven't bothered sifting through. Then some jerk comes along and says LET'S MAKE A DISNEY MOVIE ABOUT PEARL HARBOR!!!!!!!! OMG WITH BEN AFFLECK!
    Koga no Goshi

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

"Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    ROFL @ the last one. Smooth George