Poll: do you believe in god?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are you religious?

Default Re: Are you religious?

It's a sin, same as every other sin. I believe it should be totally discouraged. However, the reason for the Christian outcry against this particular sin is that it is no longer recognised as a sin, unlike what most of society would accept as sinful.
    It's a sin based on the Old Testament, which earlier up in your thread you basically cast aside. While we're on the topic, hate, jealousy and judgment are also sins. I do not see the social reaction within Christian communities to any of those things that I see to gay people or the topic of gay rights.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    It's a sin based on the Old Testament, which earlier up in your thread you basically cast aside. While we're on the topic, hate, jealousy and judgment are also sins. I do not see the social reaction within Christian communities to any of those things that I see to gay people or the topic of gay rights.
    Cast aside?! There are a number of matters in the Old Testament that are made redundant by the coming of Christ, but the nature of sin is not one of them. The difference is, in the Old Testament homosexuals would be put to death or driven from the land. Based on the New Testament, Christians would [should] try to make them see the error of their ways. In the last homosexuality-related thread we had here, various people and myself consistently argued that homosexuals should not be defined as people by their sexuality, but rather it is only a single part of their nature. People nowadays wish to make it a way of life, completely defining a person's character, all based around one unnatural sexual desire. Of course, all this is somewhat flipping the traditional stances of either side. In any case, if Koga or whoever wishes to respond to this post I think we should make it the last on the matter in this thread, I don't want to hijack it completely...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Cast aside?! There are a number of matters in the Old Testament that are made redundant by the coming of Christ, but the nature of sin is not one of them. The difference is, in the Old Testament homosexuals would be put to death or driven from the land. Based on the New Testament, Christians would [should] try to make them see the error of their ways. In the last homosexuality-related thread we had here, various people and myself consistently argued that homosexuals should not be defined as people by their sexuality, but rather it is only a single part of their nature. People nowadays wish to make it a way of life, completely defining a person's character, all based around one unnatural sexual desire. Of course, all this is somewhat flipping the traditional stances of either side. In any case, if Koga or whoever wishes to respond to this post I think we should make it the last on the matter in this thread, I don't want to hijack it completely...
    Briefly on the topic of gay people "being identified by their sexuality", I would submit that this occurs more, or at least as much, on the side of people who don't like it, don't accept it, or have a problem with it, as on the part of gay people themselves. But yes, this is probably a new topic.
    Koga no Goshi

I am not religious.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Llamaism

Nah I believe in Shintoism. and from looking at the poll I seem to be the only Polytheistic person here..Arent they any Hindu around?

I also believe some idea of Buddhism. But I dont know where Buddhism fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Llamaism

Nah I believe in Shintoism. and from looking at the poll I seem to be the only Polytheistic person here..Arent they any Hindu around?

I also believe some idea of Buddhism. But I dont know where Buddhism fits.
    Hindu is kind of a highly regionalized, local, animistic religion isn't it? I think the reason you don't really see a lot of practice of it outside of India is the same reason you don't see a lot of Shinto practiced outside of Japan. It's very tied into local geography, regions, customs, etc., which can't simply be transplanted a lot of the time.
    Koga no Goshi

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    Hindu is kind of a highly regionalized, local, animistic religion isn't it? I think the reason you don't really see a lot of practice of it outside of India is the same reason you don't see a lot of Shinto practiced outside of Japan. It's very tied into local geography, regions, customs, etc., which can't simply be transplanted a lot of the time.
    Ganges..
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

THE CONQUEROR WORM
    by Edgar Allan Poe

Lo! 'tis a gala night
    Within the lonesome latter years!
    An angel throng, bewinged, bedight
    In veils, and drowned in tears,
    Sit in a theatre, to see
    A play of hopes and fears,
    While the orchestra breathes fitfully
    The music of the spheres.

Mimes, in the form of God on high,
    Mutter and mumble low,
    And hither and thither fly-
    Mere puppets they, who come and go
    At bidding of vast formless things
    That shift the scenery to and fro,
    Flapping from out their Condor wings
    Invisible Woe!

That motley drama- oh, be sure
    It shall not be forgot!
    With its Phantom chased for evermore,
    By a crowd that seize it not,
    Through a circle that ever returneth in
    To the self-same spot,
    And much of Madness, and more of Sin,
    And Horror the soul of the plot.

But see, amid the mimic rout
    A crawling shape intrude!
    A blood-red thing that writhes from out
    The scenic solitude!
    It writhes!- it writhes!- with mortal pangs
    The mimes become its food,
    And seraphs sob at vermin fangs
    In human gore imbued.

Out- out are the lights- out all!
    And, over each quivering form,
    The curtain, a funeral pall,
    Comes down with the rush of a storm,
    While the angels, all pallid and wan,
    Uprising, unveiling, affirm
    That the play is the tragedy, "Man,"
    And its hero the Conqueror Worm.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

im jewish (modern-orthodox)
    and proud of it!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Do I believe in God? That's not even a question for me. I feel Him everywhere, in everything, every happening... The question is, how do I get along with him? Well... We've been seemingly at odds. By definition I'm probably a heretic already, yet I stand my ground for imperishable faith.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    As for the attitude of Atheists towards faith, Christianity in particular, I have found it just as arragont and as full of venom as religious findamentalists at times.
    I object! There are many different strengths of atheism, just as there are many different branches of Christianity. The only atheists who should be compared to religious fundamentalists, are those who I would call Enlightenment fundamentalists. Basically those people who say that everything must be questioned, as loudly and publicly as possible.

I'd agree that it is a lack of understanding that prompts this however. Some people just don't get faith...

Quote Originally Posted by Aries777777
    if different cultures kept themselves to themselves there would be such a better war free life
    I disagree, understanding is the only thing which can bring acceptance, and understanding can only be acheived by observation and mutual contact. Isolation, I feel, breeds distrust, and misconceptions. As long as my freedom to believe what I want isn't compromised I don't mind if other religions practise in my country, state or suburb.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Scribonius Curio View Post
    I object! There are many different strengths of atheism, just as there are many different branches of Christianity. The only atheists who should be compared to religious fundamentalists, are those who I would call Enlightenment fundamentalists. Basically those people who say that everything must be questioned, as loudly and publicly as possible.

I'd agree that it is a lack of understanding that prompts this however. Some people just don't get faith...

I disagree, understanding is the only thing which can bring acceptance, and understanding can only be acheived by observation and mutual contact. Isolation, I feel, breeds distrust, and misconceptions. As long as my freedom to believe what I want isn't compromised I don't mind if other religions practise in my country, state or suburb.
    well what i should have said was if everyone kept there religions to themselves....

Quote Originally Posted by Aries777777 View Post
    well what i should have said was if everyone kept there religions to themselves....
    I would agree here. If not for the incessant efforts to make, and keep issues like prayer in schools and abortion everyday table discussions on the national level, religious people would not be subjected to "venom" from secularists.

Oh forgot one, "intelligent design"/"creationism." Which is even worse than prayer in schools.
    Last edited by Koga No Goshi; 10-06-2008 at 18:23.
    Koga no Goshi

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

soem days i wake up as an atheist, some days as an agnostic. i voted atheist, mainly because i think we can know the non-existence of certain types of gods, at least.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries777777 View Post
    The problem is that goes against the very nature of many religions.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    The problem is that goes against the very nature of many religions.
    This is true. However, people don't like being harassed at their doorstep or aggressively salesman'd on the Book of Mormon or how nice the new Jehova's Witness fellowship hall down the street is. I just find it strange that these religions would cry something like "religious intolerance" in the U.S. when their tactics are so ill mannered and undesired.
    Koga no Goshi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123