Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1594

Thread: Concert of Europe

Default Re: Concert of Europe

Repeated... with thanks to Her Majesties representative.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I apologise to your honours, but I have received no instruction from His Majesty on how to proceed on the issue. With great regret, I must write to the King and clarify our government's stance on the issue. There has been no acknowledgement of this conference by my government, and until there is, regretfully, Prussia will not consider its decision binding, as it has been *invited* unprepared.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

Well thats a million down the drain...
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

The French representative immediately leaves the conference to send reports to his Majesty, the King of the Fench.

Blog Entries

OOC: cant we just pretend that a week passes or something and prussia sends enough info to the prussian ambassador to continue? Because this is getting silly.

Also, King of the Fench?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

The King of the French is again overwhelmed by the finesse of English diplomacy.

Blog Entries

What the heck am I supposed to do? One of the attendees didnt even show up and now that I persuaded the closest representative to turn up (that dragged kicking and screaming thing wasnt literal) he's citing roleplaying reasons not to negociate.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-04-2012 at 10:58.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    OOC: cant we just pretend that a week passes or something and prussia sends enough info to the prussian ambassador to continue? Because this is getting silly.

Also, King of the Fench?
    Unfortunately, the King and his Court are busy surveying the railroad construction in the provinces, and so it took 2 months for the message to be received. Just as unfortunately, the sloop carrying his majesty's answer was delayed in the Oresund due to the unwillingness of the captain to pay the Sound tax as if he was a simple merchant. More time was wasted. By the time he reached the North Sea, a storm forced him to seek refuge in Norway for necessary repairs, and, it seems, His Majesty's answer was lost in the confusion. No doubt the captain will be severely punished. However, it is June now, your excellencies, and I have just dispatched a new request. Hopefully the summer is a safer season for navigating, and administrative unpleasantries can be avoided.

It is unfortunate that this is delaying a resolution, but His Majesty encouraged me to give the widest press coverage to the event to ensure it does not slip his mind (which I have done, writing in the main papers of Germany, S-H, Austria, France and the UK, including the veiled threats of Denmark, and the high handedness of the british representative). His Majesty assured me also he would personally visit S-H to assess the situation. He should be there around this time - June is the best time to travel in Germany.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

I paid one million Talers over making sure that this conference went well and the Kaiser doesnt even show up! What am I supposed to do with 25 dancing bears now!
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-04-2012 at 14:38.

Blog Entries

His Majesty is averse to travelling by sea, I'm afraid. Please bear this in mind, if his presence is required on future conferences then locations should be selected which would allow for overland transportation.

Blog Entries

Then maybe he sent his chancellor or an ambassador specially versed on what to say or something? We cant just let this fall apart so easily.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-04-2012 at 15:50.

Blog Entries

Ah, if I must be so obvious. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster

Blog Entries

Ah.
    OOC: To save face: I say you could have just said you wished for more time for deliberation.

Blog Entries

OOC: That wouldn't serve my purpose ;)

Blog Entries

I swear, it's like hearding cats.

Blog Entries

OOC: Who said diplomacy was anything else? In the words of soon to be Chancellor Bismark: Anyone who respects the law an likes sausage is because he doesn't know how either is made.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    His Majesty assured me also he would personally visit S-H to assess the situation. He should be there around this time - June is the best time to travel in Germany.
    King Christian VIII of Denmark:

"Is Schleswig Prussia that the King of Prussia presumes to 'visit' the area that he refuses to discuss in Conference as if it were his personal garden? Does he propose to 'visit' Denmark in the same manner without invitation or asking for our permission? Is there any part of Europe that can be free of such 'visits' or is not his garden? It is alleged that Denmark has threatened Prussia... This is by no means the case. We have said we shall respond if attacked and I have no doubt that any country or Empire may say the same. Should France be attacked the King would have a duty to defend his people but is this a threat to Denmark, Prussia or anyone else? Clearly not unless one is considering attacking France in the first place. Gentlemen Schleswig is a part of the German Confederation. While there both Danish and German speaking people inhabit the region there are French speaking people in the British Empire. Does this give Britain a claim on France? We do not claim Schleswig anymore than Britain claims France. The prevarications of the King of Prussia, so eager to visit places that he refuses to discuss, bodes ill for the Peace of Europe. In anticipation of his 'visit' to Denmark I must leave for home."
    Last edited by SoFarSoGood; 10-04-2012 at 23:57.

Blog Entries

Headlines in the german, french, english papers next day: 'King Christian of Denmark abandons London Conference: Rumour and innuendo triumph over issues.'

The Prussian ambassador addresses those remaining:

Gentlemen, you saw how selfishly HM King Christian has left to tend to his own little projects. Can we honestly say it isn't he who opposes a peaceful solution? Making a show of travelling to a conference for diplomats, loudly speaking - as if Cicero himself stood behind him - words full of self importance and provocation, as can be expected of whom has made himself the most exalted figure in the room, instead of resolving issues between equals which is the sole intention of King Wilhelm, and then rushing home with the first excuse!

I can assure you, gentlemen that nothing could be further than war with Denmark in the mind of my Sovereign. If it comes to violence in the area, and King Christian has made abundantly clear he has been making preparations for it, it will not be Prussia firing the first shots.

It is my opinion that a friendly visit by a monarch would be an honour to those receiving it. Would not the King of France welcome such a visit? Would not the Tsar of Russia? Personal inadequacies need not be masqueraded in public as nationalistic fervour, nor insecurities as firmness. King Christian, and the Dukes of Shleswig and of Holstein are both welcome to visit Prussia at any time. His Majesty King Friederich Wilhelm would welcome them to his table. He can afford to set it properly for more than himself.
    Last edited by SwordsMaster; 10-05-2012 at 10:30.

Blog Entries

OOC: By the way, what be the deadline for actions?

Statement of the French diplomat:

We want to make clear that the we will be pelased if the Prussian monarch visits us atany time he wants to. Further more we want to make clear that we do not have any claims against England regarding areas with French speaking subjects.

OOC: Need some time for diplomacy. Still trying to understand the last chapter in detail!

The Danish Ambassador speaks;

"Those who are invited to the house of another we call 'guests'. Those who invite themselves to the house of another we refer to differently."

OOC: The Schleswig-Holstein Problem is essentialy a constitutional nightmare... Lord Palmerstone apparently said "Only three people...have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business—the Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it." It's like Crusader Kings ll gone mad with issues of Salic law (female inheritance) and all sorts thrown in. I do NOT claim to be fourth person to ever understand it but here is my best take:

King Christian VIII of Denmark is of the older branch of the Oldenburg family while Karl, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein & etc is a cousin; like in CK 2 you might give some land to you nephew at some point in the past who becomes a vassal of yours. Schleswig-Holstein is not currently legaly part of the Kingdom of Denmark but the Duke (Karl) IS a vassal of Christian VIII of Denmark. Part of Schleswig (northern Schleswig) IS legaly Danish while Sothern Schleswig is not (see map here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ju...insula_map.PNG) and by some Treaty of 1460 (Treaty of Ribe) Schleswig-Holstein is indivisible... Ok this is where we are now. It is not legaly Danish but effectively is Danish run.

In 1848 Frederick VII (Christian VIII's son) caused the First War when he effectively legaly made Holstein and Southern Schleswig part of Denmark. They wished to remain part of the German Confederation and Prussia supported them. This effectively ended in a draw and enforced the integrity of Denmark.

The real problem didn't arise until Frederick VII got a bit older. For some unexplained reason he was incapable of having children. Because of the Salic law issues this meant that a future Queen of Denmark would not inherit Schleswig-Holstein and of course with no Northern Schleswig inherited Denmark would effectively lose territory. So a deal was done whereby Christian IX (of the younger Oldenburg house that actualy owned the non Danish regions) would succeed Frederick VII as King of Denmark. Thus in theory, had it not been for Frederick VII's 1848 legal dabbling Christian IX would have ruled Denmark as King and been Duke of Schleswig-Holstein in is own right (making him a vassal of himself). Legaly he'd have been a Duke in the German Confederation (of the non Danish regions) and King of Denmark in the Danish regions.

Well that's my best summary of the legal situation...

Austria and KageMusha: We need someone to play Austria and as KM is now gone 2 weeks I think we can fairly open it for a new (or old) player... Please ask people you think might be interested. I have pmed Csargo myself.
    Last edited by SoFarSoGood; 10-05-2012 at 22:31.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    OOC: By the way, what be the deadline for actions?
    IF we can find someone to play Austria I'd rather 'get them upto speed' first but lets say provisionaly a week today; Friday 12th October.

Update... Csargo will return as Austria!
    Last edited by SoFarSoGood; 10-06-2012 at 01:38.

Blog Entries

I dont suppose we can repeal the treaty of ribe and split the land between both parties.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Admiral Yevfimy Putyatin, briefly calling for attention, repeated his words from the Conference of Frankfurt:

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Holstein was recognized as a part of the German Confederation and so it shall remain. ... Since Schleswig was never part of such confederation, but under older treaties (Ribe), the two regions decided to never be divided. Russia feels that splitting Schleswig, technically remaining true to all these treaties, will be the best solution to preserve peace.
    Dear representatives, Russia is still of its previous view. I'd also like to point out, how only the norther part of Schleswig is considered under the danish crown.
    Unfortunately with His Majesty, Christian VIII, gone, I'm afraid yet again, these talks will prove uneventful.

OoC: good to have Csargo back ^^
    But really, where is Kage? XD
    Last edited by Arjos; 10-06-2012 at 19:08.

For the safety of the trade in the Eastern Mediterranean and after negotiations with the command of the English Royal Navy, the French war minisrty announces:

The coasts of Crete, Egypt and Syria are declared as combat zones. All neutral state ships have to leave these zones until January 15th. Ships of the English navy will accompany all ships that want to leave the danger zone at Egypt. Outside of the danger zones, ships from all neutral state will be guided and protected by the French and the English navy.

All ships which stay inside the danger zones after January 15th are doing this at their own risk.

Some announcements...:

From The Holy See the Holy Father Pope Gregory XVI declares:

"What has been reported to us in whispers we now have confirmation of; that Holy City has been returned to Christian hands. We declare that all the bells shall ring for this miracle made all the more dear to the Lord in that no lives were lost in the regaining of the Holy Places of the Sacred City. We appoint the General who so accomplished this great deed without loss of life either Christian or Mohammedan, General Bugeaud, Knight Commander of the The Military Order of St John and charge him specificaly to allow freedom of worship and keep the peace within the Holy City. His Royal Highness Louis Philippe, King of the French we appoint Custodian of the Holy Places until a representative of the Church arrives.

As for this Custodian of the Church it has been suggested that I am too old (he is 80) to administer such a task but this miraculous event has renewed my faith and faith is strength. I shall myself embark as a Pilgrim and take this burden on myself. The Archbishop of Perugia will remain in Rome in my place. Let us make Jerusalem a City of God for one and all!"

The Spanish Court wishes to announce the betrothal of Queen Isabella ll to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Chapter 4 Orders and mid turn decisions

Orders and Distance

Your orders are sent out by your Government. The Government is assumed to be in the Capital with the Monarch except where the Monarch has moved (the Czar and the King of the Greeks are in Edirne/Adrianople so orders are sent from there). Orders cannot be automaticaly transmitted from London to Alexandria, Paris to the Indian Ocean, Vienna to Sofia etc etc...

Mid Turn Decisions

In Chapter 4 I propose to give 2 types of mid turn decisions; both either/or, yes/no. For those of you 'on campaign' the first decision will be as Chapter 3 - a strategic decision concerning the campaign. The second will be a mid battle decision and will be open not only to players directly fighting the battles but also to players who near any battle. For example during a hypothetical repeat of the Battle of Alexandria (December 6th 1844) France may have wished to press on but also the British Naval Squadron offshore may have wished to take part. So the first decision will be 'strategic' as in Chapter 3 and the second 'tactical' or 'battle decision'.

I hope this will give more players access to 'mid turn decisions' of one or both types.

Members thankful for this post (5):

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

OoC: SoFar, you are really good at this!

Newspapers report that our King welcomed the Carlos de Borbón, Conde de Montemolín, today at an audience at Versaille.

Gaceta de Madrid

"Why is the Pretender in Versailles?

No doubt many loyal Spaniards will today be angry that the pretender to the Spanish throne is welcomed by the King of the French at Versailles. We understand that this a vieled French threat due to their opposition to the marriage of the Queen to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Sources close to the Court report that France has 'vetoed' the marriage. How can the King of the French veto the marriage of the Spanish Queen? It is understood that the Spanish Court informed France of the proposed marriage and that French candidate was considered. Because the French candidate was overlooked the King of the French claims the right of veto. Does Spain have a right to veto French Royal marriages?

The unwise reception of the Conde de Montemolín is at most 'sour grapes'; the French Court was asked to put forward a candidate for the Queens hand but when a different choice was made they sport a pretender at Versailles. This is both unstateman like and unhelpfull in fostering closer ties between two neighbouring countries. We hope the King of the French, involved in such glorious but dangerous wars abroad, will think again before making such veiled threats to his allies in future."

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast