Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Unit

The Forgotten one Member Onehandstan's Avatar

Smile Your Favourite Unit

Post your favourite unit.
    Mine are Milnaht:

When I look at these guys the first thing I think of is "Gaesatae(sp?) without the naked" (or admittedly the druginess). Also, their longsword is badass.
    P.S. Sorry if already posted but I did a search and couldn't find it
    If Vanilla was a toilet, it'd be clean
    If EB was a toilet, It'd be sparkling

Default Re: Your Favourite Unit

Just get something to support them against ranged troops and you're set.
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Cordinau Orca (Scordisci Elite Infantry) are the regionals that can be recruited by any faction that owns the region Scorcouw and that has a level 5 MIC in Singidunum. They are pretty much the best sword infantry in EB.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 10-12-2008 at 18:41.

Strangely enough their curved longsword lethality is only .12, not .225. That knocks them down a notch, IMO.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Randomly:

Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou with supporting Hellenikoi Kataphraktoi (btw, an army made of heavy armoured cavalry plus armoured spearmen looks like a strong, late Medieval one, imho)

Arabian skirmisher cavalry (beautiful guys), maybe also Arabian archer-spearmen

Rhaetic axemen and Alpine phalanx (I love them, also because I love the Alps)

Cohortes reformatae ac evocatae

Indian longbowmen and guild warriors

Ebherni and Vasci elite spearmen

Bactrian bodyguard cataphracts

Syrian archers, Bosphoran archers, Karian mercenary infantry, hetairoi

And, finally, for some reasons, er, Red Sea hoplites, although they are not really common to get.
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Cullhwch View Post
    Strangely enough their curved longsword lethality is only .12, not .225. That knocks them down a notch, IMO.
    Yeah, the Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi (Elite Thracian Infantry) technically have better attack because they have 11 AP attack with something like .26 lethality but they die to easily when under missile fire or even in melee combat as they have much lower armour than the Cordinau Orca. The Cordinau Orca aren't really supposed to be very lethal because their swords are not like the rhomphaias, falxes, kppis/falcata or axes which are armour-piercing or are of high lethality. Their swords are only slightly curved.

The Forgotten one Member Onehandstan's Avatar

Whereabouts is scourcow? I would like to hire these swordsmen.
    If Vanilla was a toilet, it'd be clean
    If EB was a toilet, It'd be sparkling

Thumbs up Re: Your Favourite Unit

Gaesatae. No questions asked, no quarter given. I mean, c'mon, you have to enjoy seeing naked men slaughtering everyone ftw, right?

2hp?! They can smash through anything if they're that tough.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

I'm considering raising it to .165 - it's a Celtic sword, and it's modified to gash, maim, and cut off limbs.

My fave unit are the Hetairoi. They look so friggin' cool. And they're awesome. And they were my first EB HC unit.

Runner Up: Spatahaura Hadabara

Honourable Mentions: Pahlavan-i Grivpanvar, All other Armoured HA, Hypaspistai, Dosidataskeli, more...
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 10-12-2008 at 20:44.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou by far.

I mean, aren't they just gorgeous? They just look sooo cool and powerful...

Maion
    ~Maion

Member Member Carthaginian General's Avatar

Pahlavån-i Grivpånvar, the reason I like Pahlava. These are the most capable shock cavalry you'll find, while also being able to last in melee thanks to their sky-high armour and decent swords. They also look no less kickass than they are. Overall, an excellent close combat unit.

Honorable mentions go to Cretan Archers, Scythed Chariots and Peltasts of any kind (on that note, does anyone know what Peltast units are the deadliest?).
    Last edited by Carthaginian General; 10-12-2008 at 21:47.
    Paper is deadly in the hands of a skilled player, but Rock is clearly OP.
    Signed, Scissors.

That's so wrong, Rock is working as intended but everyone knows Scissors is WAY too good.
    Signed, Paper.

Wow, neither of you have a clue about the game. Scissors is fine but Paper is extremely imbalanced and needs nerfing asap!
    Signed, Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Onehandstan View Post
    Whereabouts is scourcow? I would like to hire these swordsmen.
    The town is called Singidunum, over by Getai lands.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carthaginian General View Post

Pahlavån-i Grivpånvar, the reason I like Pahlava. These are the most capable shock cavalry you'll find, while also being able to last in melee thanks to their sky-high armour and decent swords. They also look no less kickass than they are. Overall, an excellent close combat unit.

Honorable mentions go to Cretan Archers, Scythed Chariots and Peltasts of any kind (on that note, does anyone know what Peltast units are the deadliest?).
    actually, that would go in my "most feared unit" catagory. god knows how many units and battles I lost because of them in EB MP....

as for my favorites, the truth is that I have none. I believe every unit has sme capability that I like...even crappy ones have he cannon fodder ability, useful when wanting to tire an enemy out.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 10-12-2008 at 23:27.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Carthaginian General View Post

I personally find the Thraikioi Peltastai to be the deadliest (.285 lethality on secondary weapon- rhomphaia IIRC)

Member Member Carthaginian General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX View Post
    I personally find the Thraikioi Peltastai to be the deadliest (.285 lethality on secondary weapon- rhomphaia IIRC)
    Excellent peltasts with decent combat stats that also carry the Rhomphaia as a secondary weapon?
    Seems like Thrace will be the first destination for my reverse-Alexander Pahlavan expedition
    Last edited by Carthaginian General; 10-13-2008 at 01:18.
    Paper is deadly in the hands of a skilled player, but Rock is clearly OP.
    Signed, Scissors.

That's so wrong, Rock is working as intended but everyone knows Scissors is WAY too good.
    Signed, Paper.

Wow, neither of you have a clue about the game. Scissors is fine but Paper is extremely imbalanced and needs nerfing asap!
    Signed, Rock.

They've already been mentioned, but Kretan Archers. Need archers? They're some of the best. Need to plug in a gap in your front line? They can do it. Dealing with other skirmishers? Their armor will keep them alive. Seriously, I love these guys.

I also like Gaeroas and Thureophoroi for their sheer versatility and cost effectiveness. Not to mention the Casse skin for the gaeroas looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Yeah, the Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi (Elite Thracian Infantry) technically have better attack because they have 11 AP attack with something like .26 lethality but they die to easily when under missile fire or even in melee combat as they have much lower armour than the Cordinau Orca. The Cordinau Orca aren't really supposed to be very lethal because their swords are not like the rhomphaias, falxes, kppis/falcata or axes which are armour-piercing or are of high lethality. Their swords are only slightly curved.
    Yes, but the regular Celtic longsword of approximately the same length has the aforementioned .225 lethality stat, much higher than that of the Cordinau Orca. That, IMHO, makes Solduros (with spears removed, mind you) more effective than the Cordinau Orca.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Massaliotai Hoplitai (Massilian Medium Hoplites)

these guys pack the punch of good hoplites with the bravery and skill of celts, aswell as armed with the best longswords in the world... la tene swords
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Yes, the Massaliotai are very cool indeed. Especially if you have BI and give them the shieldwall ability

Maion
    ~Maion

Im fighting a battle at pergamon right now, and have 2 units of these guys, plus spartan general, plus 3 units of aitolian axemen, the axemen started off, surrounding the sallying enemy at the gate a upside down U shape, heavy casualties, then supported them with the massalians on the left and centre, and had my Spartans on the right. Massalians are doing awesomely. im TOTALLY outnumbered, but still kickin ass (medium battle difficulty) Im quite thankful i did a quick expedition to Northern Italy to help my Roman allies against the gauls. I am looking forward to buying Massalia off Rome so i can recruit these guys!
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 10-13-2008 at 17:04.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

I miss these guys.

Spahbade Pahlavanig (Early Parthian Bodyguard)

Parthian Nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Punk View Post
    Im fighting a battle at pergamon right now, and have 2 units of these guys, plus spartan general, plus 3 units of aitolian axemen, the axemen started off, surrounding the sallying enemy at the gate a upside down U shape, heavy casualties, then supported them with the massalians on the left and centre, and had my Spartans on the right. Massalians are doing awesomely. im TOTALLY outnumbered, but still kickin ass (medium battle difficulty) Im quite thankful i did a quick expedition to Northern Italy to help my Roman allies against the gauls. I am looking forward to buying Massalia off Rome so i can recruit these guys!
    Well, you can recruit them as mercenaries as well.

Maion
    ~Maion

Thats what I did... i just lost that battle btw... i pushed through the gate, they pulled the same tactic on me, cept they lost about 90% of their men... my guys fought to the last man... ironically it was a spartan (who had 2 silver chevrons, he took out 16 guys [i counted] after his partner (a massalian hoplite who had 3 bronze chevs) died. bye bye faction leader! lol least i took ennonmos with me

f***ing selucids are taking pergamon now... i just fought that battle for them pretty much... shifty buggers. seriously, im thinking of buying an army of spartans and massalians and just boning the selucids. i hate them so much.
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 10-13-2008 at 17:05.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

My favorite unit would have to be the Tindanotae.

They are Asia's Gaesatae, and while I have never used Gaesatae, I have a feeling that Tindanotae are better.

They can make an enemy army rout as soon as they reach your line, and can frontally charge Argyraspides and obliterate them.

They aren't very common as mercenaries, and are as expensive as mercenary Tarentine cavalry, but a couple of units will be enough to take you to the Indos.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

The Galatikoi Kluddolon.

It's not because they're particularly awesome on the battlefield (though they're still very good), but more because I just like 'em boys. It's their style of fighting barechested with a shortsword and a buckler that speaks to me the most, which is why I love the bagaudas and kluddobro as well.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 10-13-2008 at 17:11.

So far...Indian Guild Infantry, they just look so cool, and if built in a settlement with a gymnasium and armory they can hold their own against most. Downsides would have to be relatively small unit size and loose formation.

or the Dacian light phalanx. they took out 500 men for the loss of 98 in my most recent battle! celt units are so powerful lol
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    and can frontally charge Argyraspides and obliterate them
    That truly was a good one!

Maion
    ~Maion

Something Witty Goes Here Member Zeibek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Punk View Post
    or the Dacian light phalanx. they took out 500 men for the loss of 98 in my most recent battle! celt units are so powerful lol
    Whats their secondary weapon? Is it a Celtic longsword, because other than possible Celtic weaponry the don't really count as Celts.

Anyways, my choice is:

What can I say? I'm a huge Pahlavan fan, and these are the most badass unit they get.

A red 'bloon for a red sig from Aemilius Paulus

Dacians are celts, they just changed alot more culturally than the other celts. their secondary weapon looks more like a sickle than a falx. its much shorter and the curve is more pronounced. anyway they saved Byzantion.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast