Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor side effect of wildfires

Default Minor side effect of wildfires

This is getting really bad. I have, of course, seasoned through many wildfire headlines during my time living here. But this is the first time it's been so bad and the air so dry that I've started having bleeding noses from it. I thought it was just me, but I went to work and everyone there woke up bleeding, too.

So far as I know it's not as bad as the really bad ones a couple of years back, but it's still amazing how huge an area is indirectly affected with sore throats and black skies.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Minor side effect of wildfires

Dang, man, that's bad.

Stay safe.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Low humidity conditions during the winter where I live cause similiar problems with nose bleeds, cracked bleeding skin on your finger tips and lips, sore throats, etc... Running a humidifier helps a lot.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Australia experiences many, many bushfires and they are never good. Many horror stories and lives ruined.

Keep safe man.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

With ya Cali-Bro. We've got one still burning at Camp Pendleton/Oceanside, with 10% humidity, 90F degrees, and me working outdoors. After last year, folks got serious about the 100+ foot safe space around structures, and have been clearing that so-called 'defensible space'.

This is probably why we haven't seen DiviniusArma on the forum for a few days now (fire-fighter).
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

use lip balm on fingers...

Anyway, that sucks:(

Take no chances mate:)

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

Every summer forest fires flame throughout my region (Tuscany, Italy). Last summer Tuscany had the highest number of wildfires burning at the same time (29). The containment of one of these fires required the manpower of 120 fire-fighters, and it was one of the hardest to get under control.

Most of the hundreds of fires that have ravaged the southern regions of Italy this summer were lit by arsonists, often affiliated with criminal organizations seeking to clear land for pasture or illegal construction.

The fires always force evacuations of tourists and residents, roaring through the countryside around towns and popular destinations famed for their beaches and medieval architectures.

We usually need army reinforcements to help the firefighting efforts, and army and navy helicopters are dispatched to the southern regions during the summer.
    Last edited by Guildenstern; 10-15-2008 at 15:38. Reason: Something more to say
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    With ya Cali-Bro. We've got one still burning at Camp Pendleton/Oceanside, with 10% humidity, 90F degrees, and me working outdoors. After last year, folks got serious about the 100+ foot safe space around structures, and have been clearing that so-called 'defensible space'.

This is probably why we haven't seen DiviniusArma on the forum for a few days now (fire-fighter).
    Heya Kukri

Thanks everyone for the words of concern; just to let you know though, it sounds like Kukri is much closer to a possible fire than I am. I've never actually had any of the wildfires "reach my area", the worst that ever happened was there were certain freeways that were going right through it and I had to avoid 'em. Which I am sure most people in Southern California could say. So no worries, I doubt I'm gonna incinerate or have my house burn down.

I was actually just a little freaked by the sudden nosebleeds, I didn't even connect it with the fire immediately. And when I went to work and everyone else had nosebleeds I was like aw hell, this is like The Happening or something. ;)

Any good tips for keeping nose & throat better hydrated? I've never had to do something about this before.
    Koga no Goshi

This is what we do in cold climate with low hydration in the air, but I am rather certain it transfers.

A) Milk is good to drink, it will refresh your throat.

B) When you have the chance, pull a bandana or something over nose and mouth. It looks a bit crazy though... However, your own hydration from breathing will stick to the bandana, giving your nose and throat time to recoup. If you want to, you can wet the bandana somewhat before putting it on. Again, this is not a short term solution, but helps your body get itself in order again. In the army we did it for like a quarter every hour if it was REALLY though.

C) You will lose more water than you are used to. Make sure to drink more than you usually do, it will help your body over all. However, the body can only use up to half a liter / 30 minutes, so drinking more than that is a waste and goes straight through. have a bottle of water handy and sip now and then.

D) If it is really dry, as mentioned, lipbalm where your fingernails starts will keep the hands from looking bad.

That's just from the top of my head, hope it helps:)

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    This is what we do in cold climate with low hydration in the air, but I am rather certain it transfers.

A) Milk is good to drink, it will refresh your throat.

B) When you have the chance, pull a bandana or something over nose and mouth. It looks a bit crazy though... However, your own hydration from breathing will stick to the bandana, giving your nose and throat time to recoup. If you want to, you can wet the bandana somewhat before putting it on. Again, this is not a short term solution, but helps your body get itself in order again. In the army we did it for like a quarter every hour if it was REALLY though.

C) You will lose more water than you are used to. Make sure to drink more than you usually do, it will help your body over all. However, the body can only use up to half a liter / 30 minutes, so drinking more than that is a waste and goes straight through. have a bottle of water handy and sip now and then.

D) If it is really dry, as mentioned, lipbalm where your fingernails starts will keep the hands from looking bad.

That's just from the top of my head, hope it helps:)
    Thank you sir. ;)
    Koga no Goshi

Blog Entries

I know exactly what you mean Koga. I was evacuated from my house because of a Forest Fire not too long ago. Best thing to do is keep yourself hydrated, if you experiencing bloody noses, cracked lips and so forth its because you're losing to much body fluids, Kadagar summed it pretty well though. I know my girls were pretty miserable through the ordeal, but just keeping them hydrated helped immensely.
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 10-15-2008 at 20:01.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Low humidity conditions during the winter where I live cause similiar problems with nose bleeds, cracked bleeding skin on your finger tips and lips, sore throats, etc... Running a humidifier helps a lot.
    Just curious, how cold does it get there? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never experiented those problems, even if it get really dry during the winter (always annoying when all metal you tuch gives static shocks). Or is it if you stay outside for long periods when the temperature drops?

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    Thank you sir. ;)
    One way to increase inside humidity is to use a plant spryer and spray around a bit.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    I was actually just a little freaked by the sudden nosebleeds

Any good tips for keeping nose & throat better hydrated? I've never had to do something about this before.
    I only now realize I was completely out of topic in my previous post here. Sorry guys.
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Breathe through a damp cloth.

Here are some links about how people have dealt with wildfires in the past.

http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/communi...he-safely.html

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/wildfire/index.shtm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodom_and_Gomorrah

Stay in the basement near a huge bucket of water.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 10-15-2008 at 21:06.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Just curious, how cold does it get there? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never experiented those problems, even if it get really dry during the winter (always annoying when all metal you tuch gives static shocks). Or is it if you stay outside for long periods when the temperature drops?

One way to increase inside humidity is to use a plant spryer and spray around a bit.
    I've gotten a couple of nosebleeds, and have definitely gotten cracked lips in the winters in Vermont. The temperature there will get down to -5 or -10 degrees Fahrenheit at some point for a week or so most winters, and otherwise it is usually hovering between -5 and maybe 5 or 10 degrees Fahrenheit. -5 and -10 are something like -20 and -25 Celsius, though that's just off the top of my head, I suggest an internet converter if that seems way off.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post

Our winter temperatures can fluctuate dramatically. From highs up to 70F to -10F. We generally don't get prolonged below freezing temperatures for more than 2-3 weeks. Once Lake Erie freezes over the lake effect snow machine is shut down and moisture levels really drop. I used to supplement my natural gas baseboard heat with a woodstove, but stopped burning wood because the super-dry heat it produced really bothered my step-children and I. My fair skin is also naturally on the dry side anyway, and of course my diabetes contributes to that too. I do spend a lot of time outside and get wind & sunburned even in winter. I buy sunscreen and moisturizing lotion in 55 gallon drums.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Whimps...

I've spent 2 weeks out in the bush without even a damn tent between -40 and -53 farenheit...

*on the plus side, you learn to eat VERY fast*

Blog Entries

The last time I've ever said "now this is cold" was when I was couped up in a Cabin surviving a blisteringly cold -72 Fahrenheit (Actually it was about -55 F but Wind Chill made it feel 17 F Colder) three days wrought on by the Russian's Secret Siberian Front Machine.

Sigh. Bleeding again. And seriously, I never get nosebleeds. Ever.
    Koga no Goshi

try taking a bath a day, your pores will soak up water.

to avoid nosebleeds, you can take an empty perfume bottle (or something like it, those thingys you ise for flowers also works), fill it with water, and spray up the nose.

try taking a bath a day, your pores will soak up water.

to avoid nosebleeds, you can take an empty perfume bottle (or something like it, those thingys you ise for flowers also works), fill it with water, and spray up the nose.
    This is starting to sound kinky but I'm willing to try anything at this point. It is REALLY distracting to worry all day if my nose is just running a little or I'm bleeding on myself.
    Koga no Goshi

It gets kinkier.. I just remembered another trick, I never used it as i didnt have much problems, but I know other said it was great.

Use oil (olive oil or whatever) and smear your nose with it, a few times a day...

No, this has not boiled down to "Let's make koga do stupid things and see if he falls for it", I know this works;)

It gets kinkier.. I just remembered another trick, I never used it as i didnt have much problems, but I know other said it was great.

Use oil (olive oil or whatever) and smear your nose with it, a few times a day...

No, this has not boiled down to "Let's make koga do stupid things and see if he falls for it", I know this works;)
    This kind of tip is actually the most useful, because sitting in a room with a pot of water or with a humidifier really isn't too practical, given that I have to work and such in an office.
    Koga no Goshi

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin View Post
    I've gotten a couple of nosebleeds, and have definitely gotten cracked lips in the winters in Vermont. The temperature there will get down to -5 or -10 degrees Fahrenheit at some point for a week or so most winters, and otherwise it is usually hovering between -5 and maybe 5 or 10 degrees Fahrenheit. -5 and -10 are something like -20 and -25 Celsius, though that's just off the top of my head, I suggest an internet converter if that seems way off.
    I'm familiar with cracked lips, even if I personally don't really suffer that problem. Got the same temperatures on a warm winter, but the colder ones drops down to about -20 F, or -30 C. New year's eve is a classic for that one, it's either very cold or warm (about 20 F, -5 C).

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    I used to supplement my natural gas baseboard heat with a woodstove, but stopped burning wood because the super-dry heat it produced really bothered my step-children and I. My fair skin is also naturally on the dry side anyway, and of course my diabetes contributes to that too. I do spend a lot of time outside and get wind & sunburned even in winter. I buy sunscreen and moisturizing lotion in 55 gallon drums.
    I guess there's something of these things that causes it. Funny about the sun, we are somewhat lacking that during december/january. That pale excuse that's up for a few hours a days doesn't give any heat, in fact you want it cloudy as it's less cold then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi View Post
    The last time I've ever said "now this is cold" was when I was couped up in a Cabin surviving a blisteringly cold -72 Fahrenheit (Actually it was about -55 F but Wind Chill made it feel 17 F Colder) three days wrought on by the Russian's Secret Siberian Front Machine.
    Now that is cold, personal record is -46F, or -43,5C, but with the wind chill, it was -60F or -52C. It's pretty close to the border of what the city can handle. Is it in Alaska?

Kadagar, is it military tips you remember? I suspect that the tenting wasn't that volounteered.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Re: nosebleed prevention/reduction. Vitamin C. Especially taken as a liquid (citrus juices). Works for me. The wife is more suceptible, and uses Kadagar's olive oil solution, or vitamin E (liquid) to lubricate.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Dang...and to think that I always complain about the weather here

Good luck to all Californians (and other areas affected)

Koga, whenever I disagree with you now, I can just say "well, at least I'm not the one poking my nose". Did it help btw? :)

Ironside, indeed. If not forced I would never be out in such cold weather, and I would for sure bring a tent;) Digging down in the snow, cuddling up with your mate can sound all "brokeback mountain" charming, but trust me, it's hell;)

Kukri, indeed, vitamins are ALWAYS good, to bad people only realise when there is something obviosly wrong (like, when they get the flu or whatever). I make sure to get the vitamins and minerals I need every day if I'm able, and I am almost never sick:)

Koga, whenever I disagree with you now, I can just say "well, at least I'm not the one poking my nose". Did it help btw? :)

Ironside, indeed. If not forced I would never be out in such cold weather, and I would for sure bring a tent;) Digging down in the snow, cuddling up with your mate can sound all "brokeback mountain" charming, but trust me, it's hell;)

Kukri, indeed, vitamins are ALWAYS good, to bad people only realise when there is something obviosly wrong (like, when they get the flu or whatever). I make sure to get the vitamins and minerals I need every day if I'm able, and I am almost never sick:)
    It did indeed, thank you. I still am noticing some blood when I wake up in the morning but other than that I'm not having as much of a problem with it throughout the day.
    Koga no Goshi

Heehee. You single guys. There aren't many (ok, there are a few; wait - no there aren't) things married folks won't do for each other, including gently lubricating the other's nostrils for moisturizing against the ravages of the outside world's dry, hard reality.

Love. ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Heehee. You single guys. There aren't many (ok, there are a few; wait - no there aren't) things married folks won't do for each other, including gently lubricating the other's nostrils for moisturizing against the ravages of the outside world's dry, hard reality.

Love. ftw.
    Kukri is cruel!

My nose is okay now. But my lips look like someone kept attacking a bomber jacket with a cheesegrater.
    Koga no Goshi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast