Thread: Shogun: Total War mouse problem

Question Shogun: Total War mouse problem

Ok this is a VERY weird problem, I've never heard of it in any other game...

Basically...my mouse works perfectly fine on RTW, and M2TW and all other games except STW.

When in the battle map mode fighting a battle, I cannot click on a unit unless my camera is hovering right over it. Say I want to move my unit of samurai to a point X on the map which is a quarter of a mile in front of me on the screen...I cannot click on point X from where i am, if I do, the units move to the point directly under the spot my camera is in. To move them there, I have to move my camera all the way over to point X, hover my camera over it, and click once anywhere on the screen, and they will go.

Same if i want them to attack, I have to move my camera over an enemy unit (this generally means i cant see them since theyre under me -_- ) and then left click anywhere and the click registers under me and they attack.

This is WEIRD, like I said. Is there a patch out that fixed this? Is this a known issue on Windows Vista 32 bit?

:(

Default Re: Shogun: Total War mouse problem

Do you by any chance have an Nvidia 7xxx, 8xxx or 9xxx series graphics card installed in your PC?

Yea :P

GeForce 8800

There's your problem. The mouse synchronisation issue is a common problem with 8xxx series cards. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it.

Dang :(

Does that problem occur in Medieval 1 Total War?

Unfortunately yes.

You may want to look at this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=69367

A lot of the issues there apply to STW as well (both games are basically the same game engine) so you may want to try out some of the fixes that may apply. Towards the end of the thread I posted some settings that worked for me with a 7xxx series card, though no one else has had any luck with these using an 8xxx series.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    Unfortunately yes.

You may want to look at this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=69367

A lot of the issues there apply to STW as well (both games are basically the same game engine) so you may want to try out some of the fixes that may apply. Towards the end of the thread I posted some settings that worked for me with a 7xxx series card, though no one else has had any luck with these using an 8xxx series.
    Thanks a bunch!

I can't acces the link. I'm a new member, and it says I don't have permission. How can I get permission?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I can't see it either, which probably means the thread got deleted or lost in a forum upgrade. I assume it's similar to this thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-OWNERS-README

Welcome to the .Org, RazvanR1918.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

@drone is correct, the thread has been moved. Thank you for the other link!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Thank you @drone for the warm welcome

So it has been moved somewhere else, or has been removed?

Well, it's a shame, 'cause the thread was so quoted as being full of solutions, especially post #166.
    So it seems it had a lot of posts.

I'm currently trying this nvidia fix in the link you provided. (first fixing some problems with nvidia control panel)
    I have to say that README was very fatalistic

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RazvanR1918 View Post
    Thank you @drone for the warm welcome

So it has been moved somewhere else, or has been removed?

Well, it's a shame, 'cause the thread was so quoted as being full of solutions, especially post #166.
    So it seems it had a lot of posts.

I'm currently trying this nvidia fix in the link you provided. (first fixing some problems with nvidia control panel)
    I have to say that README was very fatalistic
    This post? I was not logged in, clicked on the link you were looking for, and it came right up. This is post #166 in that thread (I cut-and-pasted it). Link to full thread below:

from caravel:

"I've installed my 7300GT and after getting it working finally (I'll post about that in the hardware/software forum as it's not entirely relevant to this thread and only relevant to those with infinite loop problems) have been messing around with a few settings trying to solve the battle map terrain synchronization problem (that is the problem that quite a few 8xxx series card owners have reported having with STW/MTW where you cannot get your armies to go where you want them to) that appeared as soon as I'd got it working. After a lot of messing around and downloading of an older driver (I used FW 91.47 as that's the oldest I could find and should be ok for all 7 series cards) I managed to eliminate the synchronization issue by using the following settings:

Using these settings also eliminated the need to force 2x/4x AA (in my case 4x AA as the former, commonly recommended method of forcing 2x AA wouldn't work and resulted in a crash on startup) and now the problem has gone away and the game works, albeit it is a bit laggy and loading screens take longer than they should, but it is working both in battles and on the campaign map.

Other settings:

AGP Texture Acceleration is still enabled in DirectX Diagnostics and I haven't enabled any compatibility mode settings for the game itself. I have tested with all of these and found no difference.

BIOS:

I have an AGP card so these settings will be irrelevant to those with PCI-E graphics cards. Fast Writes are on, AGP Read Synchronization is on and Aperture is at 128MB, AGP rate is 4x. It is best to try the Nvidia control panel settings first before messing with the BIOS."

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-and-Solutions
    Last edited by Togakure; 05-10-2020 at 18:12.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo