Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: No better than them

Default No better than them

Recently there was a lot of talk about the Nazis and one member brought up the expulsions of the Germans from Eastern and central Europe. I have never read anything about this, I will admit that I have never found any sympathy with the Germans, the Blitz, Holocaust and other acts always seemed to justify a demonising of the entire nation. A German killed was not as important as the others killed.

However, I recently got talking to a Hungarian-Germn down the road and he told me how the Czechs had expelled him and his family for being ethnic Germans. I had heard about this but said that such actions, although I cannot condone them (I question myself about this part), are understandable. He flew up from his seat and began telling me that what happened to German minorities in Europe was nothing more than racism and a close brother of Nazi ideology, he told me that no only were Germans cleansed via deportation but hat the Czech had also killed thousands of Germans. That they had done all this with the consent of men like Winston Churchill, the men who had claimed to hate Nazism.

I have read a few articles on the expulsion of the German minorities, and I feel rather angry, it was nothing but full blooded racism but has been overlooked becuse it was aimed at the "Germans".
    In effect, what the Allies allowed to happen was nothing better than what they had fought.

I'm not really sure of the point to this thread, other than I feel it should be discussed.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: No better than them

It is shocking, however in reality we need to accept that things can't always be ideal, and sometimes you have to support one evil regime to beat another (we were allied with the Soviets after all, the only state to kill more Jews than the Nazis). The Nazi programme of ethnic cleansing would have been on a much much greater scale had they gotten their way, Nazi Germany was expansionist, the eastern European states with smaller German populations were not.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

One of the oldest sayings "two wrongs don't make a right" it applys here, there are things that need to be done to secure victory, lets assume that destorying dresden's industrial capacity was essential to winning WW2, then i would have been supportive of the action, but there are too many actions taken in anger....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    However, I recently got talking to a Hungarian-Germn down the road and he told me how the Czechs had expelled him and his family for being ethnic Germans. I had heard about this but said that such actions, although I cannot condone them (I question myself about this part), are understandable. He flew up from his seat and began telling me that what happened to German minorities in Europe was nothing more than racism and a close brother of Nazi ideology, he told me that no only were Germans cleansed via deportation but hat the Czech had also killed thousands of Germans. That they had done all this with the consent of men like Winston Churchill, the men who had claimed to hate Nazism.

I have read a few articles on the expulsion of the German minorities, and I feel rather angry, it was nothing but full blooded racism but has been overlooked becuse it was aimed at the "Germans".
    In effect, what the Allies allowed to happen was nothing better than what they had fought.
    And he was absolutely right. It's all well and good for everyone else to sit around and say "the Germans deserved it," but when it happens to your family, when you see the effects in your parents, in your grandparents, you have a bit of a different outlook. Two wrongs do not make a right, and saying that an entire people are guilty of a crime is nothing short of racism.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 10-25-2008 at 22:22.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

we were allied with the Soviets after all, the only state to kill more Jews than the Nazis”: Can give from where you pick this information? I doubt the Soviets killed around 5 millions Jews in around 3 years in camps specially designed for that.
    Can you provide the Soviet equivalent of the Bodensee conference? It will help.

About the “ethnic cleansing” of the German Minorities:
    First, you can’t compare the expulsion and the genocide. I know that today it is a word used and abused but…
    Second, just study how many volunteers these “minorities” gave to the Nazi, and what attitude did they adapt during the German Occupation. That will gave you a little clues on the reason why the expulsion.
    In term of politic, the reason evoked by Hitler for the invasion (then annexing) of Czechoslovakia was the protection of the German minorities. I think he took the same reason for Poland, but this will have to be confirmed.
    So, after the WW2, well, it was decided by the victims of the Nazi aggression that this won’t be an pretext again.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The Germans reaped what they sowed. Those German minorities had been living there forever and then Hitler comes along and well you know the rest. Do I condone there actions? No but Im not going to shed a tear for the Germans.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Its probably not best to talk about 'the Germans'. Obviously the Allies were very much right in intervening on the side they did, but nonetheless every German story of suffering as a minority in eastern Europe is just as tragic as that of other ethnic groups in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    we were allied with the Soviets after all, the only state to kill more Jews than the Nazis”: Can give from where you pick this information? I doubt the Soviets killed around 5 millions Jews in around 3 years in camps specially designed for that.
    I'm afraid I can't, I just remember it from my history class.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 10-25-2008 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Its probably not best to talk about 'the Germans'. Obviously the Allies were very much right in intervening on the side they did, but nonetheless every German story of suffering as a minority in eastern Europe is just as tragic as that of other ethnic groups in Germany.
    Maybe this is true, but I dont blame the eastern Europeans one bit. In fact there reaction was very restrained compared to what the Germans had been doing towards them.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : No better than them

I will shed a tear for the Germans. Of course the treatment of the Germans was wrong. It was a bloody disgrace.

One doesn't have to choose sides, or to belittle the suffering of one side, or to pick a side that was more wrong, or less wrong. Nor to agree with neo-nazi revisionists that all violence was equal, nor to agree with communists apologists about historical necessities.

One can simply denounce hypernationalism, choose to abhor all totalitarian violence, and strife for a peaceful, democratic Europe that never again will have to endure this.

To quote my favourite German poet Schiller, trying to connect form with content:

Joy! Schöner Götterfunken! Fille de l'Élysée!
    Intoxicated with your fire, heavenly one, we tread thy sanctuary
    Tes charmes relient, was der Mode Schwert geteilt
    All men become brothers, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

(note to self: rewrite Schiller into a multilingual whole whilst retaining metrum, a semblance of rhyme and the integrity of the flow of the language. )

Quote Originally Posted by Rhy
    Nazi Germany was expansionist, the eastern European states with smaller German populations were not
    I'm afraid they were. Poland was feasting on the flesh of Czechoslovakia together with Germany in 1938. The Hungarians and Bulgarians were perennial irredentists. Apart from Czechoslovakia, none of the Eastern European states were democracies.

And never mind Stalin, who never did not have the conquest of as much of Europe as possible in mind.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 10-26-2008 at 00:02.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Actually, I see the expulsion of the Germans as the perfectly rational act after the wars if we look into the following things:

- Nazi Germany was using ethnic Germans and historical German settlements outside their own borders as a reason to expand at the expense of the neighbouring countries, in Austria and Czech Sudetenland, and later Bohemia-Moravia

- Ethnic Germans had been a source of great instability for the Czech Government prior to the Munich Agreement, and for the Polish Government prior to the Declaration of War, and escalated (And permitted escalation) things enough so Hitler could intervene.

As a result, this war was indirectly triggered because Germans lived in regions outside of Germany, and these were used as casus belli to start a bloody war which murdered millions. Knowing this, the Allied governments logically decided that such a situation was never to happen again, and as to provide stability to the countries, it was decided to forcefully remove all the Germans from neighbouring countries, into Germany itself. Bloody, true, but it comes as a pretty logical to me, and not as part of some evil mischievous plan to get revenge on the German people.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Maybe this is true, but I dont blame the eastern Europeans one bit. In fact there reaction was very restrained compared to what the Germans had been doing towards them.
    Sorry, but a lot of "Eastern European states" were Axis nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    One doesn't have to choose sides, or to belittle the suffering of one side, or to pick a side that was more wrong, or less wrong. Nor to agree with neo-nazi revisionists that all violence was equal, nor to agree with communists apologists about historical necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Sorry, but a lot of "Eastern European states" were Axis nations.

Eh the biggest expulsions were in Czechoslovakia and Poland while there others were mostly stronged armed by the Soviets. Frankly I dont care how German or Soviet power politics worked at the time nor do I feel it necessary to paint the Germans in a better light. Was the average solider a manic? No but I will always believe the Allies were "right" and the Axis were "wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    Recently there was a lot of talk about the Nazis and one member brought up the expulsions of the Germans from Eastern and central Europe. I have never read anything about this, I will admit that I have never found any sympathy with the Germans, the Blitz, Holocaust and other acts always seemed to justify a demonising of the entire nation. A German killed was not as important as the others killed.

I'm not really sure of the point to this thread, other than I feel it should be discussed.
    Listen mate, it's hard to accept but that's life. The Germans lost. That's what happens when you lose.

Try to think about it this way;

What would the world be like if the Nazis had won?

Much, much more the lesser of two evils, by several magnitudes.

Just my 'umble opinion of course.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Listen mate, it's hard to accept but that's life. The Germans lost. That's what happens when you lose.
    We've accepted that it happens - the fact remains that it was unjust and cruel.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

We've accepted that it happens - the fact remains that it was unjust and cruel.
    Cruel for the Germans? What about the Jews?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Cruel for the Germans? What about the Jews?
    Do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Can something be cruel towards Germans while something else is cruel to the Jews? Yes, I think so.

I don't think we should deny the suffering that many Germans endured. Of course, numbers wise it may seem to pale into comparison when considering how many died by the Nazi regime.

But each individual German's suffering was just as great (generally speaking) as that of any individual of another ethnic background, and it should not be ignored or tossed aside as insignificant.

Remember those who were persecuted - all of them.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

They are human beings. It is wrong by definition.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For them that live by the sword, shall perish by it.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Just wondering , when it comes to Germans expelled from Poland and Czechoslovakia for examples what proportion were original residents and what proportion were settlers shipped there from other places to make the territories more Germanic for the thousand year reich ?
    Actually when you think of it didn't Nazi Germany have a deal with lots of different eastern european countries to deport the all the ethnic Germans to German territory....so would that mean that the eastern european countries were just completing the deal ....but its just that the Germany for the Germans territory had shrunk somewhat by then

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Actually, it was Tsarist Russia that launched occasional pogroms against Russian Jews. At other times and places, they enjoyed a semi-protected status. All rather mixed up.

Soviet Russia didn't really single Jews out very much at all, at least under Stalin. Stalin killed people in gulags, butchered his own officer corps, starved millions during the forced collectivization of agriculture, and even sent someone to axe Trotsky a question -- in short, he butchered millions (some sources suggest he and Beria killed substantially more people than did the Nazi regime) and was willing to kill anybody who might vaguely, possibly, conceivably, become a threat to Papa Joe sometime in the next half century. He just didn't go after Jews with any particular hatred. He was a very ecumenical monster.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by makaikhaan View Post
    For them that live by the sword, shall perish by it.
    Once again presuming, of course, that all Germans actively supported the National Socialist regime and all of its expansionist and racial policies, as well as the war.

Once again presuming, of course, that all Germans actively supported the National Socialist regime and all of its expansionist and racial policies, as well as the war.
    They did nothing to stop it

Partially untrue (Germans did resist) and partially unreasonably idealistic (not much that Germans could have done about it once the murderer was consolidated in power).
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 10-26-2008 at 03:50.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

That, and it is unknown how many did support the nationalistic or racial ideologies of the Nazi regime, or those who were part of the German settlers who took over the houses of the undesirables.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    (some sources suggest he and Beria killed substantially more people than did the Nazi regime)
    Some seventeen million (according to some brief research) were killed by the Nazi regime, whereas Stalin's era was responsible for the deaths of between twenty and forty-three million. Just some statistics.

Partially untrue (Germans did resist) and partially unreasonably idealistic (not much that Germans could have done about it once the murderer was consolidated in power).
    You can always resist. The Germans had what was coming to them. Such is war.

You can always resist.
    It's awfully easy for you to sit back in your chair in Texas and say that.

The Germans had what was coming to them. Such is war.
    Such is racism. You can never vilify an entire people, you can never assume guilt of an entire nation, and you can never, ever say that an entire race "got what was coming to them." That is exactly the type of racism that the Nazis used to justify what they did to the Jews.

It's awfully easy for you to sit back in your chair in Texas and say that.
    Same could be said for you.

Such is racism. You can never vilify an entire people, you can never assume guilt of an entire nation, and you can never, ever say that an entire race "got what was coming to them." That is exactly the type of racism that the Nazis used to justify what they did to the Jews.
    That maybe so I never said the expellers were perfect. Im just not going to feel bad for the Germans especially the ones who moved there as Tribsey alluded to. You start a war you better finish it or reap the consequences.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 10-26-2008 at 04:21.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who said I was only referring to Germans?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast