Thread: Redux: Debug-Area...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Redux: Debug-Area...

Ok, I have set up this thread for the sake of clarity and at the same in an effort of trying to keep all such related stuff as the title suggests in one single place. Here!

When reporting bugs:
    • Always remember to check that your game is fully updated and running on optimal status…
    • Always remember to state what redux version you are running is it v.1.1 or VI/v.2.01?
    • Always remember to state upon what version is running upon. Is it original MTW/VI/ Gold/Era-Edition?
    • Always remember to state if you got several installs of different versions of MTW.
    • Always remember to state exactly where the bug is located or the circumstances that make it appear…
    • Always remember to give an extensive description of the anomaly, bug or error. That way; chances are a lot greater that we actually identify it and thus can find some possible solutions for it.
    • Always remember to cross-check if it might be a corrupted-save, the info on that is available here.
    • Always consult the “known bugs” section in the redux “ReadMe”-file or the list here below before you try to report in a bug…

COMMON BUGS: (Primarily it concerns v.1.1)
    --------------------
    • Selecting random units in MTW-Redux will usually cause the game to freeze, so don’t use that.
    • Selecting historical battles will cause MTW-Redux to crash, so don’t use that.
    • Selecting historical campaigns will cause MTW-Redux to crash, so don’t use that.
    • Selecting the campaign tutorial will cause MTW-Redux to crash, so don’t use that.
    • In campaign-mode a province or regions religions value (catholic, Islamic etc.) might drop well under the 100% standard total, this bug happens seemingly at random in a province that just had a siege or battle the turn before. It seems that it happens more often if the province is or was under rebel rule. The effect of the game minor but all bordering provinces will eventually drop their religions values to zero. Which means that most general’s recruited from these provinces will have poor piety values from start. Other than that it seems to have little effect on the game, aside from it being annoying. The only way that seems to halter this bug is to destroy the castle in province before going to next turn. Other than that I have no clue what to do here.
    • In campaign-mode the game sometimes freezes from one turn to the next. Usual symptom are that some soundfile loops and are stuck. Load a save at least two “turns/years “ prior to that turn and the game will usually progress as supposed to. Don’t know for sure why this is and have no other solution to offer, sorry. Note that this is not in any way unique for redux it happens in the original as well.
    • The variable faction shields may be somewhat unreliable and colours sometimes don’t show up right. This is an annoying bug and I have not found a simple and good way to counter it for certain. It also seems that this problem vary from computer to computer, and from game mode to game mode. However, in the Medieval - Total War\Battle\FacShield -folder (in both "Hires" and "Lores" folders) I have put some alternate shields that might solve this bug for you. These alternate faction shields are marked with an "x" in the beginning, as in "x_germany.tga" (or "x_germany" dependant on your settings) for example. Change the names these alternates to the ordinary file-names and hopefully the problem is gone (back up both variants to be on the safe side). Other than that I have no clues to what to do here since it seems to be a hard coded issue. FIXED!
    • The "name-anomaly" is a strange bug that due to hardcoded framworks some names might seem to be out of place now and then concerning the Moorish, Saracen and Portuguese factions. I have tried to camoflage it as well as possible but other than that I can’t do
      anything about it. If I could I would but this is hardcoded stuff.
    • Princess bug, valid for Portugal and Lithuania. Roughly about AD 720 these factions cease to generate new princesses. This is all hardcoded, if I could change all that I would. (in VI/v.2.01 it is the Norse and Lithuanians instead, the problem is the same but restricted to pagan-factions).
    • Russian ruler bug, the very first turn he dies and his heir takes over the following turn. This is all hardcoded, if I could change it I would. FIXED!
    • The Norse and Lithuanian factions have too share Islamic event pics, again
      hardcoded it seems thus I can’t change it. I put in as neutral pics as I can to mittigate it...
    • Vices and virtue bug, for some reason the usual progression of these seem to freeze once it has evolved up to step 2 (out of 3-4 possible). All this seems to be hardcoded, if I could change all that I would. Possibly it might be connected to the originals era-progression but this is not absolutely certain.
    • The original game, MTW, has a nasty habit of corrupting saved games now and then. Sadly this flaw is also effects the redux version as well (even if the origins of all this are clearly from the original and not redux). When these things happen there is little you can do short of go back to a healthy previous saves and go on playing from that point. Because of these circumstances it is strongly recommended that you do regular “Master Saves” so the effects of these occurrences is minimized as far as possible. Do this at least every 5th turn to be on the safe side. Also, when you do these “Master Saves” do them at the very beginning of a turn, before you do anything. That way your chances of getting a healthy save are increased. A common symptom of a corrupted save is that the game suddenly crashes and you cant get to tactical mode for some strange reason. Be aware of this and do those regular “Master Saves”, for your own sake!

For full information on known bugs, anomalies and tech-stuff, please refer to the latest "Redux_ReadMe100x.txt" (relevant sections). For VI/v.2.01-specific info please refer to the latest "Redux VI_ReadMe100x.txt" released....

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-26-2012 at 01:22. Reason: update...

Default Re: Redux: debug area...

Are the Town Guard, Town Militia and County Militia buildings supposed to generate any units for the russian? Because they don't.

I noticed Redux Castle got 4 towers now. Are you going to built dungeon too?
    Last edited by William the Silent; 10-28-2008 at 12:16.

Hi there Will,

Well um… They don’t, quite right. Militia stuff don’t strike me as very Russian so all those units are locked. Militia stuff is not an “Eastern” thing… Not in my book anyway. Hence Russia, Byzantium, Poland and Hungary don’t have much of that. At any rate, all the buildings still provide the usual happiness boost!

- Cheers
    ----------
    Yep! That and a sturdy gatehouse as well, at the very least… Already made lots of plans for the dungeon!

Count Axalon,
    You were talking about these Aragonese in your Blitz Spain Campaign reply to Cambovenzi.
    I had noticed during my Slomo Campaign that their stacks are pretty weak, with lots of skirmishers.

See stack buildup.

If you make these Aragonese stronger, everybody will be forced to go the Slomo way and I will be the hero .

Kidding!
    Last edited by William the Silent; 11-09-2008 at 11:44.

Noted William, I'll fix it....
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-10-2008 at 17:41. Reason: an urge....

SPANISH BUG FOUND!
    ------------------------
    Ok, it has come to my attention that by exploiting various flaws in the original game (MTW) it is possible to play reduxed Spain in a way that makes it unacceptably simple. By commencing a chain-reaction of silly retreats from the AI it has become possible to totally ruin the designs set up for Spain. I will have none of that and this is utterly unacceptable of course.

Current released material has these weaknesses built in so the damage is already there (sadly enough). What remains now is to do some damage control and the first step on that direction is this release of this “rushed into service” experimental startpos for both versions of redux the “N1000/1” (versions for both V.1.1 and VI/2.01) and see if the problem have been successfully countered with that.

Further down the road an official redux patch will be released and rest assured the Spanish bug will be completely killed to the best of my abilities with that. As for now, all you guys will be the testers of the N1000 “startpos” – so report your findings in this matter right here since this is now a bug-matter! Also state what version your'e running your tests with N100x, is it V.1.1 or VI/V.2.01?

Download experimental startpos Spanish fix “N1000” for MTW V.1.1:
    REMOVED

Download experimental startpos Spanish fix “N1001” for MTW VI/2.01:
    REMOVED

Cambovenzi and Obliqueattack have both already secured a credit for bringing this fact to my attention. I will also credit anybody else who reports in any other substantial information in this matter that are connected to the N100x-file. All credits will be included in the future formal redux-patch and the release of MTW-redux 1.1 (3rd edition).

-------------------------------------------------------
    MISSION BRIEFING: “N1000/N1001-testing” (Expert-level)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, this is for all you guys who wants try it out and want to help some at the same time! First of all place the file in the right place, probably something like that: X:\?\?\Redux - Total War\campmap\startpos. Place the N100x there, if everything is working you should see it when you try to start a new campaing. Now, your mission while testing the N1000/N1001 are divided into three parts:

1. Play as Spain, Expert-level. Secure the entire Iberian Peninsula as fast as humanly possible; including Aragon, Navarre, Valencia, Castile, Leon, Portugal, Cordoba and Granada. How long does this take? How many turns? Find that out. If it takes you 40+ turns abort mission and report in the good news. Do it twice to be on the safe side....
    2. Play as Spain, Expert-level. How long does it take to annihilate the Moors completely out of the game? NOTE, in this mission it is not necessary to secure the Peninsula. If it takes you 40+ turns abort mission and report in the good news. Do it twice to be on the safe side....
    3. Play as as the Moors and check out that there is no freezes or any other problems with the current experimental configuration. Play 5 turns, do it at least twice. If there is no problems at all abort mission and report in the good news.

Ok that’s all, get out there and do some fancy fighting then. I should be harder to "blitz-around" now.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-22-2008 at 05:24. Reason: update

Default Re: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

hi,

another prob: ´cos I got stuck with the norse game due to questions above, I tried something new. Installed MTW 1.1 with redux to my "working machine" with quite some newer hardware (core2duo 2,66: ATI 4650, 2GB RAM); got the problem of CTD while entering and/or leaving battle map. I do remember that axalon wrote something about the screen with the red progress thing making problems, but because the search funktion is, sorry, quite crappy, didn´t get results I was looking for. Therefore the question:
    How can I avoid this nuisance of having to quicksave (and restart game) before/after every battle, concerning really only that loading screen?!?
    thanks in advance,
    daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-22-2012 at 12:22.

Hello Daigaku,

What OS is this? Is this problem happening straight from start (new game) or does it get like this after a while? Anyways, I would spontaneously suggest a change of drivers for GFX-card.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-22-2012 at 17:42.

Hi Axalon,

goes crashing straight away - if I get into the battles (those running fine), on exit - CTD....if not, it already crashes with the loading image with the red indicatorthing growing

Specs: WinXP SP3, Driver for 4650 is "catalyst-version" 09.4

any idea?

good to see you back,

daigaku

Hi man and thanks,

Hmmm.... Obviously XP is not the most optimal OS for MTW there was, it has long history of screwing things up - and that in numerous ways... My guess is that there is something within the files that your XP-configuration really hates and can't handle. Don't have a clue what that may exactly be. I think your best option so far is still to change drivers as I think those are the culprit here. Catalysts 9.5 functions on HD4800-series and Redux (XP32bit), so try those or later drivers. You are probably stuck with this for as long as you do not change drivers.

- A

Hi Axalon,

don´t remember 100%, but didn´t you write somewhere about exactly this loading screen making problems? and being solved by deleting or changing some files? Am not really sure, but something was there somewhere I was leafing thru the forum...

daigaku

btw, is it normal in 1.1 that you don´t see anything in foreign provinces, even with ships and ports everywhere? Haven´t played 1.1 for ages and simply forgot...
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-22-2012 at 19:42.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Obviously XP is not the most optimal OS for MTW there was, it has long history of screwing things up - and that in numerous ways...
    Hi Axalon

What/which in your opinion is the most optimal OS for MTW?

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Hey Axalon,

just stumbled over something new: Those various reduxed morale/stability/happiness - buildings do give quite different bonuses in 1.1 and 2.1. Was that meant that way?

greetings from happily playing along

daigaku

Member thankful for this post:

Axalon 

Default Redux: Debug-Area...

Hello @daigaku,

You are right - for the watchtowers…. On castles and “Mercenary magnetism” as well, and I have fixed both for RXB1003… I guess it is a “noted & logged” on you – the very last for RXB1002… It really was in the "eleventh hour" to be included in RXB1003 – but the corrections were made – and I managed to squeeze in a credit as well for you due to that stuff… Again, thanks...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-26-2012 at 02:22. Reason: update...

Hi Axalon,

..just experienced something strange: Had set (my old machine) the "AGP aperture size" down to 4MB, in the game put the "AGP memory" to 0 and had a battle (about 2000 men) - and didn´t get choppy!

am quite tired now (getting those saracens who HAD owned half the map in line is WORK) but will verify tomorrow and keep reporting!

greetings daigaku

Hi to everyone,

here are some good news. As some might know already, I´m playing M:TW/VI and, since only a short time, redux on a rather outdated rig. Solved battles for over ten years with a total of beyond 400-500 men by autocalc ´cos of poor performance of my graphics. Now, playing redux, got fed up with loosing only ´cos of mere numbers, knowing that 20 Norse Bodyguards can slaughter about 500 never-mind-what when put into forest ;-))
    Specs of my "stone age machine":
    PIII/850 with slotket on Abit BH6 (BX-Chipset), Nvidia GeForce2 TI with 64MB RAM, 512MB System RAM, and two 40GB HDDs running Win98SE, Gameplay with 1280x1024 Strat/Battlemap res, smoke, fauna, pyro...
    AND I FOUND A WORKING SOLUTION FOR PLAYING M:TW ON SUCH A MACHINE, EVEN BATTLES WITH (till now max. tried) ABOUT 4500 MEN!! NO LAG!!!

In BIOS, set "AGP APERTURE SIZE" to smallest amount possible (in my case 4MB) or, if an option, disable.
    In game, "OPTIONS/PERFORMANCE" set "AGP MEMORY" to "0".

It seems to me, the rather slow system memory is the bottleneck for performance. Since I´ve done that, I can play my battles like on my newer machine(Core2Duo 2,66, 2GB RAM, ATI RadeonHD4650 1GB), but without the "usual" CTD....

So for all desperate about hardware incompatibility with newer machines this could be interesting.

greetings,

a happy daigaku

@ Axalon: Will install 1.1 to another partition to get those girls, girls, girls I so appreciated with the other install on the newer machine...and of course will keep reporting!

greetings daigaku
    Last edited by daigaku; 04-25-2012 at 11:29.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Default Re: Redux: Debug-Area...

Quote Originally Posted by daigaku View Post
    In BIOS, set "AGP APERTURE SIZE" to smallest amount possible (in my case 4MB) or, if an option, disable.
    In game, "OPTIONS/PERFORMANCE" set "AGP MEMORY" to "0".
    Hi Daigaku

I am very interested in this finding of yours and intend trying it out soon. Thanks.

In my current campaign I am unable to complete a battle (me 3K troops, AI 6K troops) which is critical to my empire's survival. Autocalc results in a heavy defeat to me. But I know that I can win this engagement with approximately 1K of casualties, and inflict 2 to 3K losses on the AI.

FYI, I installed 2 x1GB of PC3200 RAM (previously 2 x 512KB) yesterday evening just to see if this would solve the problem. It did not. The battle crashed (yet again) after about 1.25 hours, with Windows reporting, 'the graphics driver is corrupt... can only continue if using software rendering... for hardware rendering restart computer', or something like that.

I had thought about dropping the resolution to 640 x 480, on the reasoning that giving the GFX card less pixels to process might circumvent the issue. But I'll give your finding a go first.

Thanks again.

One other thing I was mulling over was renaming the 'deadpagecoords' text file, and replacing it with an empty 'dummy' file of the same name. I'm under the impression this would deny the game the means to display corpses during the battle. Again, I am assuming this would reduce the strain on the GfX card.

Axalon
    Thanks for letting us use this thread for this discussion.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-26-2012 at 01:30. Reason: Changed title-header to kill confusion… - Axalon