Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Redux: Debug-Area...

Default Re: Redux: Debug-Area...

Small error/bug found in RXB1005/RXB1005c.... In “crusaders_unit_prod11.txt”-file, entry/row 114 – "NorseAxemen" (Norse Infantry, in game)....

Error... Listed as “CAVALRY” unit-type... It should be “INFANTRY” like its neighbouring entries...
    Effect... The Norse Infantry unit wont show in Solo-battles as infantry but as cavalry...
    Fix... Change "CAVALRY" to "INFANTRY" in the unit-type entry (using the GnomeEditor or some other such tool)...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 02-04-2015 at 04:52.

Two small bugs I've found recently:

1. https://s5.postimg.org/oxprvh7d3/00000000.jpg

2. https://s5.postimg.org/kd3lgjnnr/00000003.jpg

About that CAVALRY bug - I've though it was intentional to give pikemen/spearmen slightly higher chance against those cheap and powerful Norse Axemen.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Alright, I have confirmed both... Thanks for reporting them in...

1. “Grand Pagan Idol” missing a file...
    =============================

Error...The “Grand Pagan Idol” is missing a building-completed-sign (the colored one) for all non-pagan factions – this in the event they are ordered by player to build it (in former, conquered pagan territory) – despite it being overtly pagan tech. Only a human/player-factions can and will do this, as the AI won’t (by design).

Effect... A small black box appears instead of the proper image/GFX for it... As illustrated in previous post... No other (actual) effects on game otherwise...

Fix.... Open “X:\?\?\?\RXB1005\campmap\Info_Pics\Buildings\Pagan\Coloured”... Locate the file “Pagan Idol.BIF”... Make a copy of it... Now go back to “X:\?\?\?\RXB1005\campmap\Info_Pics\Buildings\Coloured” and paste the file “Pagan Idol.BIF”... The error should be fixed... Done!

2. “Dismounted Nobles”-error message
    =============================

Error... The “Plurals” name-distinguisher is missing in “names.txt”-file (located at “X:\?\?\?\RXB1005\Loc\Eng”). Its an exclusive error/bug for Gold/VI/2.01-versions only....

Effect... Constant error message whenever these particular units are used or examined...

Fix... Make an entry manually in the “Generic INF”-section, below “Heavy Halberdiers” (by copying that entry) and replace/fill in the relevant data... As in first “NoblesOnFoot” – the internal name-distinguisher, and then “Dismounted Nobles” the in-game-appearing name... Like this...

Code:
    ["HeavyHalberdiers_Plural"]				{"Heavy Halberdiers"}
    ["NoblesOnFoot_Plural"]					{"Dismounted Nobles"}
    ["Pikemen_Plural"]					{"Pikemen"}

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    About that CAVALRY bug - I've though it was intentional to give pikemen/spearmen slightly higher chance against those cheap and powerful Norse Axemen.
    Nope, it was not intentional... Providing some "sneaky" deliberate bonuses to spear/pike-units against them - using spear-units against these guys are basically bad/poor tactics anyways... It was probably the result of some abandoned previous research and/or experiment that I later on forgot all about, and then failed to change it back before release. With a thousand things to worry about and on my mind all over the game (including the dual engines and the porting to each version etc etc) with each major RXB-release - things like that are bound to happen from time to time (especially as I work alone)...

Anything else in RXB1005? Other/further bugs, errors and anomalies (or possible potentials of such)? Anyone? ...?...

- A

I have discovered another two and nominal bugs/errors in the RXB1005/1005c...

• Norse Warriors have the wrong swords in battle, they have regular swords when they should use the Norse/nordic/barbaric-styled ones... Compare with Slavic Warriors on battle-mode to see the difference I am talking about here... Regardless, it will be fixed and that in some later release...
    • While doing solo-battles... Selecting the Orleans battle-map will result in that the castle is not placed... Supposedly due to excess in memory-usage due to other bigger textures exceeds the supposedly acceptable levels memory-usage (as I understand it). I have zero clue what texture that causes the problem here, and honestly, the entire problem is so small in nature that I will not bother working on this any time soon, if ever... I mean it was just blind luck that I spotted this stuff in the first place...

Anything else on the RXB1005/1005c?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-23-2015 at 00:12. Reason: details...

Hello. Not really a bug but I want to report it anyway.

http://www.2shared.com/file/gXQb3dd9...6_pirates.html
    In this save file I am playing as the Moors and, like with my previous campaigns, piracy has gone bananas!
    I am not hostile to the rebels so as to avoid these big fleets. Is this intentional? Generally rebel forces are extremely strong. If you check out England, the English have only Mercia left, surrounded by rebels! Probably civil-war I guess. I know it's only 746 AD, but I feel like the map is suffocated with pirate navies. In my French campaign getting the pirates down to a workable number was a major and long campaign in itself! If this is intentional design then I apologise for wasting your time, cheers mate.
    I am using MTW Gold with RXB1005c v2.1

On general terms, its always better to report in something, then not to, if you are somehow uncertain about something or you find something that strikes you as odd or strange - report it in (your apology on this note is still much appreciated). That is, after you have first checked that someone else has not beaten you to it already. If nothing else, you will that way always get more clarity about it, due to reporting it in - if it is not a valid bug/error or something like that - I will probably post up some explanatory remark about it. Having said that...

It is not uncommon that England and the Norse get completely destroyed by the rebels initially in RXB1005 - they can survive too, so it can go either way for both factions. Each campaign varies, as you well know. The pirate presence on the high-seas are rather common (but not certain) initially, usually they slowly disappear after some 100-120 turns as their ports are lost and their capacity to replenish their numbers disappears - and ordinary factions want to claim the seas. The are there to ensure that trade routs and sea-lanes will have too be conquered/secured, and then defended - much in the same way as it is for lands. The player are free to trade, but in Redux he must fight for it - unlike the raw game (or basically anything else ever made for MTW). Pirates is a distinct redux-trait that I don't think you will find elsewhere, and in some RX-campaigns it can end up to being very hard simply because of unchecked pirates has been allowed to roam too freely, for too long.

I have commented on this stuff before and most of it still holds true... Here for instance... In post: 461, (the general thread) I wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Rebels & pirates
    --------------------------
    Personally, I think that one should contain the rebels as soon as possible or when one can afford it. At least in the relevant region of interest - before they get too dangerous and strong there – as they can at times. If rebels are left alone for too long in provinces with ports and castles they will obviously grow stronger, with more troops and ships, eventually becoming truly dangerous as long as they stay there… We are more or less forced to actively fight them in Redux - sooner or later – or there might be chaos all over the map. Still, I have seen plenty of campaigns were it never comes to that as they are pretty fast reduced to obscurity in some corner. This is Redux, so it can go either way, depending on what happens in game. Anyway, allowing the rebels/pirates too many functional ports and wharfs is never a good idea in the long run….
    I checked your save, and yup the pirates are pretty strong there at the moment - but I see no direct or obvious errors. I also see plenty of functional ports held by rebels, and that explains and the cause for it. If they lose their ports, they will eventually get weaker (but all the existing ships will have too be destroyed, ordinary factions will help with that). If you allow them to keep their ports, they will probably get even stronger before they get any weaker... Basically, you must typically actively fight rebels in Redux, or they can potentially become a serious problem...

- A

This makes sense. It's just good to know that this is intentional design. This is an excellent way to make the player fight hard to open his/her trade routes, but I worry about the AI (I assume they do fight the rebels at sea too). Seems that some factions just aren't interested in shipbuilding no matter how clear the waters, and some love it.

Hello Jingo,

I think we are slowly drifting away from actual bug-talk, errors and such things on this note - I have therefore posted my reply to your comment over at the general thread, in the interest of keeping things topical right here (and you are welcome to continue discussing this subject as much as you want over there, its a better place for it anyhow).

Anything on bugs/error-related things, fire away right here folks...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-30-2015 at 12:02. Reason: update

Castle flags for Moors, Saracens, French, English and Byzantines have some transparent pixels which doesn't look good. Example:

"Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Alright, got it... Thanks... Here is fix (attachment)...

• To install... Place/drop uncompressed "textures"-folder into Redux-gamefolder (where the EXE is located)... It should be fixed instantly after that.

- A
    Attached Files Attached Files

Found another bug on RXB1005/c/e-editions...

I have noticed that all/most naptha-units has some weirdness in their throw-animation (some displaced sword or something).
    I'll fix it for the RXB1006-release. (Actually, I have already fixed it, but the release of that fix will be then).

- A

Re-download & re-install RXB1006...

As usual, some (damned) errors find their way into my release, and the RXB1006 is no exception. While its good that I can spot some of that stuff on my own, it still creates some problems in general (as one could expect). Anyhow, as it has not even been a full week since the initial release - I am basically left was left with two choices... A). Create a new patch that 50% of people probably won't even bother downloading anyhow... B). Patch Redux myself and re-upload it and recommend people to re-download and re-install it to fix them errors permanently. I decided to go with the latter...

Thus, I fully recommend and request that ALL people that currently play, or plan to play, or have downloaded RXB1006 before Dec 22, please do re-download and then re-install it to fix the various small errors I already spotted/found within the initial release (made the 16th). The new release is fully save-game compatible with the previous RXB1006, and it won't break your current game, just improve and fix it. As it so close to the original and first release, I have not even bothered updating the version-number. The new uploads are already in place, and the links are live.

Here is a small list of the changes the new upload of RXB1006 will bring...

• Fixing the Nubian warriors...
    • Various glory shields corrected...
    • Lower upkeep on Muslim nobles…
    • Removing defect quickbattle files...
    • Thresholds for honour on all hero & champion (or similar) units adjusted...
    • Castle descriptions provided wrong stability numbers…
    • Muslim Princess-feature corrected (VI-versions only).
    • Deadpage coords updated (VI-versions only).

As a compensation for the inconvenience, I have also included...

• New design-document on castle-variables in RXB1006. (bonus materials)
    • Updated design document on stability in Redux. (bonus materials)
    • +6 new orthodox portraits for generals... (bonus materials)

- A

RXB1006-VI Patched! 24.02.2017

I have (again) discovered a bunch of bugs and errors in the VI-version of Redux and I have now created a fix/patch for all errors I found. I made a new (patched) upload of RXB1006-VI that replaced the old one. All who uses VI-/GOLD-/ERAS-/STEAM-versions to run Redux are hereby highly recommended to once again re-download the new RX VI-module, and apply it on top of the previous install. It is fully save-game compatible. Anyhow, as I don’t use the VI-version personally, it usually is that very version that holds the most errors/bugs and get to be the last to be fixed - and its obviously true this time around as well. The V.1.1-version has had none of these problems/errors, all fixed and listed errors below are VI/2.01-exclusive… The fixed errors are as follows…

Wrong battlebanner - Byzantines
    Wrong battlebanner - Saracens
    Wrong battlebanner - Papacy
    Wrong battlebanner - England
    Wrong battlebanner - France
    Wrong battlebanner – Italy

Wrong BIF-plate used – Order Cavalry
    Wrong camp-map armymarker shields – Saracens (all shields)
    Wrong listing in solo battles - Norse Infantry listed as Cavalry…
    Faction unit-rosters cleaned up for solo battles – Aragon, Burgundy, England, France, Portugal, HRE, Lombards, Italy, Spain, Papacy, Poland, Hungary.
    HRE no access to unit – Order Cavalry
    Spain no access to unit – Order Cavalry

The relevant links:

http://www.moddb.com/games/medieval-...ux-vi-beta1006

http://www.gamefront.com/downloads/m...ux-vi-beta1006

Enjoy Redux, as it was meant to be folks....

- A

Alright, I have discovered yet another error in RXB1006 (regardless of version).... The stated stability values on Townwatch-buildings are off by 1%. The correct values for RXB1006 are 2%, 4%, 6% and 8% (final stage), and this can be corrected manually by accessing the relevant entries in the "descriptions.txt" in loc.

I also noticed that the shipyards-string have the wrong names attached to them in their "completed-" and "destroyed-"messages. These errors can be easily fixed in the very same way - manually by accessing and correcting the all relevant entries in the "descriptions.txt" in loc (don't forget to back up the file - before - just to be safe). Obviously, ALL these errors will be corrected with the next release or patch of Redux....

As ever, if you encounter or discover other unreported and valid (or suspected) errors, bugs and the
    like in RXB1006 - please report it in. That way I can at least attempt to fix it, and faster too...

- A

Dumb question: What is the 'Multi Edition Loc'? When I applied it, it messed up the some unit/building descriptions. Is it necessary?

In short, if you are already using an English version its not necessary for you (at all).

It is merely a back-up/reference English loc file-set for all folks actively using any non-English version of MTW somehow. If applied (and correctly installed) it enables some consistency (languish-wise) to all non-English versions - if that is desired by the user. Ultimately it also ensures that Redux can be compatible with any such versions - if we set up the folders right (that is). Otherwise Redux would possibly be split between different languishes (in game), or possibly not function at all...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-30-2017 at 21:42.

I have discovered some additional minor bugs/errors in RXB1006.... All will be fully fixed in the RXB1007 release... Before that release, people can still fix all this stuff manually by editing (bug 1 and 2) or changing/replacing (bug 3) the relevant files, in the relevant versions. Anyhow, the bugs are as follows...

1. Spain can't build crusades - as they should be able too... Valid for ALL versions. To fix it, use a Gnome-editor...

2. Castle-garrison limits don't display the correct values... Valid for ALL versions. To fix it, one has to manually enter the correct values, at the right place in the "Events.TXT"-file.

3. Sieges don't work properly - since you can't break the palisades or any gates without warmachines (like catapults etc etc). It seems this bug is V.1.1 exclusive... The "MODELDAMAGE.TXT"-file flawed somehow or somewhere - temporarily use/apply the original MTW counterpart as a hot-fix. Its not ideal but it will work...

Any other bugs/errors? If so, please report them in...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 07-15-2017 at 15:25.

As of this post, this area/thread will now ONLY deal in RXB1007-related bugs, errors and all other such similar stuff.
    Hopefully we will have/find less of all that - this time around....

- A

=========================================================================
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-14-2017 at 15:46.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Hi Axalon,

Got a few little bits from my first game - nothing major, and I'm sure you'll have the fix pretty much straight away. Just for the record, v1007, VI 2.01 upgraded:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REDUX_bugs_1.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	20337

OK, I've started with the weirdest one - look at the entries for Wales and Picardy. Two instances of a 'king_roman_numerals' error, in castles (well, forts to be precise), showing a unit size of 0. Never seen anything like this before. Right-clicking on the castles to see what the heck is going on caused instant CTD (the ONLY sign of any instabiity at all, so far )

Anyway, there is a fix if you come across this in game - obviously, DON'T right-click on it (left-click is fine, it just shows an empty castle) - all you need to do is put another unit into the castle and take it out again. The fantasy 'king' disappears and all returns to normal. I don't know if this is relevant, but I spotted this the year my king died and was replaced. The new king (whilst still a prince, obs...) had NOT been in either of those two provinces. I only found out about this because I called up the military parchment to find the super-annuated princes to make sure they weren't going to be dangerous to the new monarch

Name:	REDUX_bugs_2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	20338

The Norse seem to be employing steppe nomads as sailors I haven't checked the files, but if you have a 'Norse' folder override for portraits, I'd imagine you didn't put one in for admirals.

Name:	REDUX_bugs_3.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	20339

There's a mix up in one of your 'of_clan_district' entries. I also had a marriage proposal from Lithuania with the soubriquet 'of Milan'. Nothing to be embarrassed about this one, it was messed up in the vanilla game, too

I'll let you know should anything else crop up, but so far it's the only mod that I've played which behaves itself as well as my own

Edit to add: no boiling oil on castle gate house - bug or feature?
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 12-17-2017 at 01:05. Reason: Some eejit pressed 'post' instead of 'preview'...
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Hello Mac, and thanks for reporting in your findings here...

As for the first potential bug you reported in here... In short, I have tried the best I can to duplicate it upon a V.2.01 PE-engine - and I can't do it. And, I too have never heard of anything like it. As a result, I can neither confirm this bug, nor offer any solid advice as to how to remedy or deal with it.

My gut tells me that it is probably a corrupt save, as it is crazy and weird enough to fit that profile, and so, that would be my best guess on this.

The second one is not a bug - but most likely a poor/undesirable/non-optimal installation - the result being that portraits are screwed up and all mixed between the original MTW and Redux - which to me, looks pretty bad. Its easily fixed however. Find and open the "campmap"-folder (in game), after that you open the "Portraits"-folder (inside campmap).
    Now, you either rename, remove or delete the "Portraits"-folder.

After that, you go back to the Redux-files and find the "Portraits"-folder. You copy it, and then paste that copy directly into the game, in "campmap"-folder, ending up with a "new" (and fully prepped) Portraits-folder in the game. Once that is done, Redux will look as intended, and all portraits will be correct....

The third potential candidate you brought... This one I have managed to replicate, and it is exclusive to V.2.01 folks (Steam included). The V.1.1 version of Redux has no such problems/errors. At any rate, this is a confirmed bug and hence it will logged as a "kill". As a result, you managed to secure a spot in the RX-credits as a minor-bughunter, Mac. On your very first try, no less... I'll happily include your credit in the next major release of Redux. If you or anybody else, manages to scrape together enough "kills", I'll promote that person to a "major-bughunter" in the credits. That is the tradition I have around here...

Anyways, the relevant factions regarding the "marriage proposal"-bug are as follows:

Burgundy --- incorrectly listed as Hungary...
    Lithuania --- incorrectly listed as Milan...
    Lombardy --- incorrectly listed as Papacy...
    Hungary --- incorrectly listed as Burgundy...

Every other faction seems to be fine.

Lastly... The lack of oil - its a "feature"... Rationale, I am trying to maintain max consistency between V1.1 and V.2.01 game-experiences and battles. Thus the oil had to go (and I never liked it anyways, so it was an easy choice)...

I have attached a hotfix to this post for the marriage-bug - download, unpack and apply/replace the faulty file in relevant folder (loc). Once applied the bug should vanish altogether the next time you start the game. Anyways, feel free to report in anything else suspicious you find as you play Redux. This goes for everybody, as usual...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-18-2017 at 03:11.

Thanks for the reply, Axalon

Lastly... The lack of oil - its a "feature"... Rationale, I am trying to maintain max consistency between V1.1 and V.2.01 game-experiences and battles. Thus the oil had to go (and I never liked it anyways, so it was an easy choice)...
    I guessed it might have been later on in my campaign, when another VI feature - ie flaming arrows (at least on ordinary archers) - no longer seems to be available for taking out fort walls.

I'll take a look at the portraits, not a problem. Though maybe not straight away - I prefer to 'discover' new mods through playing rather than footling around in the files. It just ssems a bit unchivalrous to start undressing it before I get to know it better

As for those fantasy kings - absolutely never seem it's like before, so I have no idea where it might have come from. I brought it up more for the sake of the 'in-game' fix should anyone else encounter it.

Cheers for now, anything else, I'll post it here.

Discussion forum thread

Mac, obviously it is your call, but I am telling you - the portraits and Redux in general will look a lot better with properly installed Redux-portraits. That is they way Redux is intended to look. Just save your game and then do what "BEFORE INSTALL" outlines in the RXB1007 readme:

"Consider to change name or deleting the Portraits-folder for
    optimal continuity on reduxed portraits. If not done then
    original and reduxed portraits will be all mixed up. Personally
    I don’t like that. The folder is located in “campmap”-folder.

Consider to change name or deleting the Quickstart-folder to
    avoid screwed up quick-battles. If not done, many such battles
    will be seriously screwed up. The folder is located in main
    directory...

Neither of the above is critical, but it will result in more
    polished and solid game-experience on general terms."

If properly prepared, before the (re-)install is initiated, Redux will then both function and look 100% as it was intended. Otherwise it will have problems running quick-battles and portraits in campaign-mode will be mixed up. Its probably a unique feature of Redux to have full sets of alternative and original portrait-artwork attached to it. Why not experience it in full?

Just saying...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-21-2017 at 21:57.

Over at the TWC William reported...

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent
    Serbia has no armourer.
    Confirmed... Thus, noted and logged... And it has no metalsmith either... This bug/error is present in ANY version of Redux. For his find, William will (also) be included in the credits of Redux (as of the next major release), as
    a Redux betas bughunter... Well done.

I created a Hotfix2 for this bug, and it is attached and available below... Unfortunately,
    it will require you to start a completely new campaign in order for the fix to go active.

- A

Btw. I had that CTD on the right-click again with my new english campaign.
    I had saved it during about 100 turns, but always went to "resume game" after I saved it.
    I don't know if that counts as starting a saved game.
    Just to let you know.

I play the Supreme Campaign on standard. Some observations:
    The other factions develop very slow. Maybe I should go the highest level.
    Portugal had turned into rebel faction and was just producing ships. There was already a full stack in front of Portugal with 5 stars plus a new one with six ships when I started noticing. I took Portugal for a few turns and destroyed the shipyard to stop it, but I don't know how far they would go in building fleets otherwise. That's hard to beat: a full 5-star stack.

Sadly I got CTD in the "taking moves phase" from my new supreme-veteran campaign in turn 793.
    I had made saves in between but never quit the game.
    Reloading in an earlier save resulted in the same outcome.
    I saved the "save".
    Only moves that I made was attacking pirates.

The English 793.zip
    Last edited by William the Silent; 12-23-2017 at 00:49.

Hi again,

I finished my English campaign, fixed the portraits (yes, I had omitted deleting the old folder during install ) and have done a Russian campaign and am now giving the Saracens a whirl.

A couple of observations which may or may not be pertinent here:

• Armour & weapon upgrades +2 and +3 both have the same icon (silver), so it's hard to distinguish the troops at these levels
    • Rebels in Tripoli seem to have Portuguese names

Would it be much of a job to re-instate boiling oil as per the VI original? I've never messed with this end of things, so I'm not sure what it would entail. I'm afraid I have the opposite preferences - I do like it, and find castles are way too easy to assault now (especially with souped-up longbow stats out-ranging the artillery).

Discussion forum thread

Hello again everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    Btw. I had that CTD on the right-click again with my new english campaign.
    I had saved it during about 100 turns, but always went to "resume game" after I saved it.
    I don't know if that counts as starting a saved game.
    Just to let you know.
    There are a few things that you need to get straight here...

First, it is the MTW-game/engine itself that generates anomalies - NOT the act of saving (or Redux for that matter). Saving only means that the anomaly/error is "imprinted" on the save and then is more or less made permanent - unlikely to disappear after that point. Essentially it is made permanent because of the save.

Second, if you want to avoid such anomalies you have too save often, preferably at the very beginning of each turn - before you do anything.

Third, playing plenty of turns without re-starting (the game) or re-loading (a healthy save) is virtually begging for anomalies/errors to happen - which are generated by the game itself. The more you play and do stuff on the map, the greater the chance of anomalies and errors happening basically. It is that way because CA did a poor job when they crafted the game-engine in the first place, and they didn't clean up their code, designs and did too little "Quality Assurance" - as a result we (who use that engine) constantly get various kinds of anomalies and weirdness - that should not be there in the first place. It is possible, that if MTW is modded that such anomalies get "extra visible" even though the mod itself is not generating any errors as such. It is possible, but I do no know that for sure. If true, it probably would include Redux as well.

I play the Supreme Campaign on standard. Some observations:
    The other factions develop very slow. Maybe I should go the highest level.
    Portugal had turned into rebel faction and was just producing ships. There was already a full stack in front of Portugal with 5 stars plus a new one with six ships when I started noticing. I took Portugal for a few turns and destroyed the shipyard to stop it, but I don't know how far they would go in building fleets otherwise. That's hard to beat: a full 5-star stack.
    Again, there are some aspects that you should fully understand...

First, the slow development - while still fully possible - is actively forced thru/encouraged due to you playing on max (or possibly large) size-settings which do slow down the development of AI-factions - as troops are more expensive to get, AND take longer time to produce. As simple as that. A human player will always handle that circumstance better then any AI - no matter what. If you actually want better AI-development and tougher resistance you should go down to "default"-size settings, as that is what Redux is designed for. Ergo, that will always provide a better performing AI compared to max size. Battles will also be harder to fight and the overall challenge will increase (as a result).

Secondly, while the are little doubt that such a rebel-armada will cause lot of problems, it is there because the designs encourage the rebel-AI (in general) to be active on the seas as well as land. Which what that very stack is a result of, it would not be there otherwise. As for the five stars, such a ship can only show up if it has fought a lot of previous battles - and that before it ended up leading that stack (no rebel ship has ever started with 5 stars).

BTW, you did the exact right thing, captured Portugal and shut down that pirate-spawning port. I would have done the same thing myself...

Sadly I got CTD in the "taking moves phase" from my new supreme-veteran campaign in turn 793.
    I had made saves in between but never quit the game.
    Reloading in an earlier save resulted in the same outcome.
    Again, see previous reply above.

I saved the "save".
    I have examined that save and it seems to be an engine-freeze - due to some damn rebel-stacks in Venice. Rebels are often involved in screwing up the game somehow or generating freezes. Anyhow, I have (luckily) fixed it - using some secret magic - so that you can continue your game at turn 794. It should work know.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-31-2017 at 16:23. Reason: details..

Hi Mac...

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    I finished my English campaign, fixed the portraits (yes, I had omitted deleting the old folder during install ) and have done a Russian campaign and am now giving the Saracens a whirl.
    Maybe you should try the Norse next? Poland and Spain are typically the toughest factions to play in Redux...

Armour & weapon upgrades +2 and +3 both have the same icon (silver), so it's hard to distinguish the troops at these levels
    No they don't... Its just that you are not accustomed to it...

Look closer... Its dark iron (level 1), grey silver (level 2) and bright/white silver (level 3). Anyhow, yes it is "harder" (but not impossible) to determine "excellent" from "extra excellent" essentially - especially if we look from afar. The RX-designs certainly reflects that somewhat, unlike the candy-like stuff in raw MTW. Besides, you always have the option to revert to that, or you could use the "blue silver" of level4, for level 3 or something... You are a modder, you know how to make it happen. The GFX is already done, you just need to shuffle it around some.

Rebels in Tripoli seem to have Portuguese names
    Its an (old & known) V.1.1-engine problem that (via the files) carried over to the V.2.01 as well. The names attached to Portugal (as a faction) and Tripolitania (old Malta) are screwed up. I suspect that it is actually possible to fix in that in the V.2.01 version - although I have never examined or explored that any closer. The VI/V.2.01 never was my primary engine, but it is yours. I am open for any suggestions you might have or better still you fix it - as you are better on that engine then I am - that would be my honest guess anyways.

Would it be much of a job to re-instate boiling oil as per the VI original? I've never messed with this end of things, so I'm not sure what it would entail. I'm afraid I have the opposite preferences - I do like it, ...
    Nah, its quite possible to do... I just don't remember the details... I'll give you a hint and you can probably take it from there - check inside "models"-folder. Once inside that, look for "Islamic" and "Western European". In both cases look for "gate"-folder. You need to change or add some line in there. That is all I remember at this point. (By all means post again, if you have problems on this stuff somehow).

... and find castles are way too easy to assault now (especially with souped-up longbow stats out-ranging the artillery).
    Obviously it all depends on the troops and circumstances for that assault. With enough serious and capable troops, and enough fortunate circumstances during to the given assault in question - any castle will fall. This, regardless of any lowbowmen or not.

Personally, I always felt that the fate of a province is already determined in battle prior to any withdrawal to any keep/castle/citadel. Besides, longbowmen are only available to the English anyways, so that unit is hardly a problem (for you) if you play any other faction, right?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-31-2017 at 18:06.

Hi Axalon,

Thanks for the reply and Happy New Year, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hi Mac...

Maybe you should try the Norse next? Poland and Spain are typically the toughest factions to play in Redux...
    I was planning on the Norse next - I like to try all the different ciltures for my first few - done catholic, orthodox and muslim so far, so it has to be a pagan faction next

No they don't... Its just that you are not accustomed to it...

Look closer... Its dark iron (level 1), grey silver (level 2) and bright/white silver (level 3). Anyhow, yes it is "harder" (but not impossible) to determine "excellent" from "extra excellent" essentially - especially if we look from afar. The RX-designs certainly reflects that somewhat, unlike the candy-like stuff in raw MTW. Besides, you always have the option to revert to that, or you could use the "blue silver" of level4, for level 3 or something... You are a modder, you know how to make it happen. The GFX is already done, you just need to shuffle it around some.
    Yeah, I have reverted to the original - I can see the difference in ReadBIF, but in-game it's just too subtle for my eyes these days.

Its an (old & known) V.1.1-engine problem that (via the files) carried over to the V.2.01 as well. The names attached to Portugal (as a faction) and Tripolitania (old Malta) are screwed up. I suspect that it is actually possible to fix in that in the V.2.01 version - although I have never examined or explored that any closer. The VI/V.2.01 never was my primary engine, but it is yours. I am open for any suggestions you might have or better still you fix it - as you are better on that engine then I am - that would be my honest guess anyways.
    Yeah, it's easily fixed in VI 2.01, there is an entry for every province to define rebel names. I'd be happy to run through it and let you have something to insert for that version

Nah, its quite possible to do... I just don't remember the details... I'll give you a hint and you can probably take it from there - check inside "models"-folder. Once inside that, look for "Islamic" and "Western European". In both cases look for "gate"-folder. You need to change or add some line in there. That is all I remember at this point. (By all means post again, if you have problems on this stuff somehow).
    OK, I'll take a look there, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

One other observation: every time I invade Sicily by sea I get the default battle map. I haven't checked the startpos but this usually happens because the declared border type does not correspond to an existing battle map.

(Sicily keeps changing hands in my Saracen campaign - my empire has too many borders and not enough ships I had to pick a war with the Moors, and that was the signal for the Byz to lay into me from the other end. It's been a bit difficult to afford ships, and the AI seems able to sink four of my galleys with a single tradegalley of its own.... Anyway, I have taken Constantinople, so the cash is flowing much better and I can afford to throw plenty of wood into the sea now.)

Discussion forum thread

OK, I've had a look at the rebel name list in DEFAULT_HEROES.TXT, and although I found a few that needed swapping around because you've re-assigned provinces on the new map, I couldn't find any reason for an apparently Portuguese name to crop up in Tripoli (and I do mean Tripoli, not Tripolitania). Wish I had a save game that turn now....

Anyway, I've done a new SET REBELS section, with the following changes:

• Frisia - Frisian/Dutch
    • Suzdal - Russian
    • Tripolitania - Egyptian
    • Edessa - Turkish
    • Sivas - Turkish
    • Cilica - Turkish
    • West Africa - Almohad
    • Cordoba - Almohad
    • Flanders - Dutch/Dutch

Here's the new section:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SCOTLAND		14	13
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NORTH_UMBRIA		1	1
    SET_REBELS::	ID_MERCIA		1	1
    SET_REBELS::	ID_WALES		15	14
    SET_REBELS::	ID_WESSEX		1	1
    SET_REBELS::	ID_IRELAND		14	13
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NORWAY		2	2
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SWEDEN		2	2
    SET_REBELS:: 	ID_DENMARK		2	2 
    SET_REBELS::	ID_FINLAND		2	2
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NOVGOROD		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_MUSCOVY		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_LIVONIA		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SMOLENSK		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_RYAZAN		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CHERNIGOV		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_LITHUANIA		12	11
    SET_REBELS::	ID_PEREYASLAVL		18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_VOLGA_BULGARIA	18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_KHAZAR		18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_KIEV			18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CRIMEA		18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_VOLHYNIA		11	10
    SET_REBELS::	ID_PRUSSIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_MOLDAVIA		17	15
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CARPATHIA		17	15
    SET_REBELS::	ID_WALLACHIA		17	15
    SET_REBELS::	ID_BULGARIA		18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_HUNGARY		17	15
    SET_REBELS::	ID_POLAND		11	10
    SET_REBELS::	ID_POMERANIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_BRANDENBURG		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SILESIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_BOHEMIA		11	10
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SAXONY		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_FREISLAND		20	17
    SET_REBELS::	ID_FLANDERS		20	17
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NORMANDY		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_BRITTANY		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_FRANCONIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_LORRAINE		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CHAMPAGNE		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ILE_DE_FRANCE	5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ANJOU		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_AQUITAINE		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_TOULOUSE		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_PROVENCE		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_BURGUNDY		5	4
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SWABIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_BAVARIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SWITZERLAND		19	17
    SET_REBELS::	ID_TYROLIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_AUSTRIA		16	12
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CROATIA		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SERBIA		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_GREECE		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CONSTANTINOPLE	6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CRETE		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_RHODES		10	9
    SET_REBELS::	ID_GEORGIA		18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ARMENIA		18	16
    SET_REBELS::	ID_RUM			10	9
    SET_REBELS::	ID_LESSER_ARMENIA	10	9
    SET_REBELS::	ID_EDESSA		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_TREBIZOND		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NICAEA		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ANATOLIA		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CYPRUS		6	5
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ANTIOCH		10	9
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SYRIA		10	9
    SET_REBELS::	ID_TRIPOLI		10	9
    SET_REBELS::	ID_JERUSALEM		9	8
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ARABIA		9	8
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SINAI		9	8
    SET_REBELS::	ID_EGYPT		9	8
    SET_REBELS::	ID_LIBYA		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_AFRICA		9	8
    SET_REBELS::	ID_TUNISIA		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ALGERIA		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_MOROCCO		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_GRANADA		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CORDOBA		8	7
    SET_REBELS::	ID_PORTUGAL		7	6
    SET_REBELS::	ID_LEON			7	6
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CASTILE		7	6
    SET_REBELS::	ID_VALENCIA		7	6
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NAVARRE		7	6
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ARAGON		7	6
    SET_REBELS::	ID_CORSICA		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SARDINIA		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_GENOA		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_MILAN		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_VENICE		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_TUSCANY		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_PAPAL_STATES		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_ROME			3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_NAPLES		3	3
    SET_REBELS::	ID_MALTA		9	8
    SET_REBELS::	ID_SICILY		3	3

Whilst we're in DEFAULT_HEROES.TXT, there's something that I would strongly recommend you change, as in 'I can't believe it hasn't already caused major problems':

Code:
    FAMOUS_HEROES::	FN_ALMOHAD 5																		
    //hero: Name, Surname	...................
    "Hero",	"Blank",	1370,	9,	9,	9,	9,	9,	no_v,	 GENERAL,	ID_LIMBO,	-1	//Blank hero slot:.......
    The problem being: FAMOUS_HEROES:: FN_ALMOHAD 5 when you only have one hero listed - that '5' should be a '1' to match the number of hero slots listed. Obviously this applies to all the other factions with spare hero slots. This sort of thing would normally cause the dreaded 'no names' error (though that's more often seen when it's the famous kings who have been misnumbered). As I said, I can't see why it hasn't caused the usual problem, but it might be the birth date after the game's end date, but that's just speculation at this stage.

Obviously, everything here applies to the VI 2.01 version, I can't comment on the 1.1 version

Discussion forum thread

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast