Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prisoners...

Default Re: Prisoners...

If I remember my history correctly Romans were made to walk "under the yoke" after defeats against Numantia and again versus Jugurtha. The deal being they got to live and that the proconsul would recognise the other side's right to exist. It would be an amazing feature of EB II if releasing prisoners effectively forced the AI sign a peace deal.

Although of course like rl Romans it would assuredly ignore the terms of any treaty and attack again in the near future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses View Post
    If I remember my history correctly Romans were made to walk "under the yoke" after defeats against Numantia and again versus Jugurtha. The deal being they got to live and that the proconsul would recognise the other side's right to exist. It would be an amazing feature of EB II if releasing prisoners effectively forced the AI sign a peace deal.

Although of course like rl Romans it would assuredly ignore the terms of any treaty and attack again in the near future.
    You'd have to capture a huge amount, and it would probably be a nightmare to code, but it sounds awesome.

Exclamation Re: Prisoners...

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses
    If I remember my history correctly Romans were made to walk "under the yoke" after defeats against Numantia and again versus Jugurtha.
    The Romans were shamed like that plenty of times; just read the Years in History back in EB1.

And yes, it would be cool to include this feature, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Footsie
    We cannot mod that area.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 12-12-2008 at 21:54.

Well who knows what you could script alongside it?

Question Re: Prisoners...

Quote Originally Posted by lobf
    Well who knows what you could script alongside it?
    I dunno. Tell me! Who?!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Wasn't there an option to sacrifice prisoners like the Aztecs for a culture boost in that area? I wonder if that option would be more useful for certain factions... of course renamed to something more suitable.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I dunno. Tell me! Who?!
    Well I don't know either. But I imagine just like traits given for extermination, maybe prisoners can be tracked with the script or something.

Default Re: New idea

Quote Originally Posted by Cullhwch View Post
    Could you rename the options to "pursue the fleeing enemy" for execution, "loot the enemy baggage" for ransoming, and keep releasing prisoners as-is? It won't be perfect, but it would be good for role-playing battles in which you lose total victory for the sake of more spoils. Due to the money script (there will be a money script, right?), the AI will always accept ransoming.
    I agree with your suggestion.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Thumbs down Re: Prisoners...

Quote Originally Posted by Cart
    I agree with your suggestion.
    I don't. To be honest, it doesn't help make the situation any better, I think.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I don't. To be honest, it doesn't help make the situation any better, I think.
    For reasons...
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 12-14-2008 at 23:17.

I think that looting the baggages was a very common thing in EB timeframe and obviously looting generated money.
    I think that a victory could offer some economical rewards using this suggestion, better than "ransoms" that were not common in that days.

Obviously I am presuming that you don't include an option of enslaving the prisoners to make money on it. And this would be great.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Well I don't know either. But I imagine just like traits given for extermination, maybe prisoners can be tracked with the script or something.
    You can keep track of what a general does with the prisoners. I'm pretty sure that releasing them affects the "Noble towards enemies" trait, or something like that.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thumbs up Kool!

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    For reasons...
    Nvm, I slightly misunderstood him. But now that I comprehend his idea properly, I support it. It seems to be a great idea!

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses View Post

It wasn´t so much that the Romans were evil treaty-breakers as that any deal negotiated by a Roman commander and not ratified by the Roman Senate simply wasn´t considered a official.
    And when the treaty had been negotiated by a defeated, surrendered Roman commander who was no free with his army...well, then there was even less reason for the Senate to ratify the treaty.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12