Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prisoners...

Default Prisoners...

Out of curiosity and only, i was wandering if you ppl are going to keep the "prisoner" captures on routing enemys, and if you are, if you will keep it as was in M2TW.

And ofc, THANK you for the awesome work you are putting in this, wish i had the knowledge and/or time to assist you my self.

Thanks for reading :)
    Dont fight for what you want, fight for what you can have.

Default Re: Prisoners...

it would be cool if they add. "enslave" options on them. if possible

We cannot really mod this area of the game, and we certainly couldn't a new options. We could rename the kill option and change the effects associatiated with it to enslave.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

So prisoners are going to be in EB II?

Don't know if such option is even possible but I'd glad to see taken prisoners sold to slavery(mnai bonus) or pledge allegiance to the victor and join his ranks!!!
    Pro Deo et Patria

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    So prisoners are going to be in EB II?
    They can't not be in EBII. We cannot mod that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Foytaz
    Don't know if such option is even possible but I'd glad to see taken prisoners sold to slavery(mnai bonus) or pledge allegiance to the victor and join his ranks!!!
    First is slightly possible through scripting, the second is impossible.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post

First is slightly possible through scripting, the second is impossible.

Foot
    bold and direct
    Pro Deo et Patria

Hmm... I know i am pushing my luck here, but will there be consequenses on the generals traits depending on the dissions made about the prisoners? (Again like vanilla M2TW)

Yes, of course.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Ok, thanks a lot for the info
    And again, very good job!

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Wait, why? You don't have to mod the prisoners function, do you? Isn't it possible to leave it as it is?

Pay close attention to the double negative in that sentence you quote above, it will explain exactly why your understanding of what I wrote was wrong.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

So really, what Foot said was they must be in EB, there´s no way to remove them. He just likes to play tricks with our heads.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    So really, what Foot said was they must be in EB, there´s no way to remove them. He just likes to play tricks with our heads.
    or Feet
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Are there any historical records regarding prisoners being released by the victor to the defeated or being ransomed back?
    Last edited by Abokasee; 11-09-2008 at 16:17.
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

I believe Pyrrhos released all of the Roman prisoners after the Roman general (whose name escapes me) forwarded a letter sent by Pyrrhos' doctor who was plotting to poison him.

Edit: His name was Gaius Fabricius Luscinus. From Wikipedia:

Edit 2: From Wikipedia:
    After the Romans were defeated by Pyrrhus at Heraclea, Fabricius negotiated peace terms with Pyrrhus and maybe the ransom and exchange of prisoners; Plutarch (Pyrrhus 18) reports that Pyrrhus was impressed by his inability to bribe Fabricius, and released the prisoners even without a ransom.
    I just looked it up for you:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Then Caius Fabricius came in embassy from the Romans to treat about the prisoners that were taken, one whom Cineas had reported to be a man of highest consideration among them as an honest man and a good soldier, but extremely poor. Pyrrhus received him with much kindness, and privately would have persuaded him to accept of his gold, not for any evil purpose, but calling it a mark of respect and hospitable kindness. Upon Fabricius's refusal, he pressed him no further, but the next day, having a mind to discompose him, as he had never seen an elephant before, he commanded one of the largest, completely armed, to be placed behind the hangings, as they were talking together. Which being done, upon a sign given, the hanging was drawn aside, and the elephant, raising his trunk over the head of Fabricius, made an horrid and ugly noise. He, gently turning about and smiling, said to Pyrrhus, "Neither your money yesterday, nor this beast to-day, makes any impression upon me." At supper, amongst all sorts of things that were discoursed of, but more particularly Greece and the philosophers there, Cineas, by accident, had occasion to speak of Epicurus, and explained the opinions his followers hold about the gods and the commonwealth, and the objects of life, placing the chief happiness of man in pleasure, and declining public affairs as an injury and disturbance of a happy life, removing the gods afar off both from kindness or anger, or any concern for us at all, to a life wholly without business and flowing in pleasures. Before he had done speaking, "O Hercules!" Fabricius cried out to Pyrrhus, "may Pyrrhus and the Samnites entertain themselves with this sort of opinions as long as they are in war with us."

Pyrrhus, admiring the wisdom and gravity of the man, was the more transported with desire of making friendship instead of war with the city, and entreated him, personally, after the peace should be concluded, to accept of living with him as the chief of his ministers and generals. Fabricius answered quietly, "Sir, this will not be for your advantage, for they who now honour and admire you, when they have had experience of me, will rather choose to be governed by me than by you." Such was Fabricius. And Pyrrhus received his answer without any resentment or tyrannic passion; nay, among his friends he highly commended the great mind of Fabricius, and intrusted the prisoners to him alone, on condition that if the senate should not vote a peace, after they had conversed with their friends and celebrated the festival of Saturn, they should be remanded. And, accordingly, they were sent back after the holidays; it being decreed pain of death for any that stayed behind.
    Last edited by Hax; 11-09-2008 at 16:46.
    This space intentionally left blank.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee View Post
    Are there any historical records regarding prisoners being released by the victor to the defeated or being ransomed back?
    IIRC, the italian (non-roman) prisoners at Cannae were released by Hannibal.

Romans at iberia had a nasty habit of cutting the right hand to the released prisoners, not for pious reasons the lusitanians did (the lusitanians cutted the right hand to prisoners, and consecrated it to their god Cariocecus), but to avoid them to take arms agains the SPQR again.

EDIT: Abokasee, nice to have you back.

We cannot really mod this area of the game, and we certainly couldn't a new options. We could rename the kill option and change the effects associatiated with it to enslave.

Foot
    I've gt a better idea... rename th "ransom" option to enslave, because essentially, you are SELLING the troops into slavery, so you get money from it just like you do in the ransom option.
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

What about the fact that it's the enemies that buys these said enslaved troops and that they get them back?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbass View Post
    What about the fact that it's the enemies that buys these said enslaved troops and that they get them back?
    ummm... roleplay!
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    -Abraham Lincoln
    -Abraham Lincoln

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

They did ransom troops back then though. So i think ransom should stay as is.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The thing I hate about M2TW prisoners is that ever single guy you kill when chasing routers becomes a prisoner. By releasing prisoners you give the enemy 90% of their defeated army back without concequences. And killing prisoners makes your general get negative traits that effect more than killing prisoners should effect. I wish there was a "parole" option in M2TW, so you could "disband" the enemy's captured army.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    The thing I hate about M2TW prisoners is that ever single guy you kill when chasing routers becomes a prisoner. By releasing prisoners you give the enemy 90% of their defeated army back without concequences. And killing prisoners makes your general get negative traits that effect more than killing prisoners should effect. I wish there was a "parole" option in M2TW, so you could "disband" the enemy's captured army.
    So essentially what you want is to get rid of the enemy army without negative traits - doesn't this happen when the enemy rejects the ransom offer? In my experience with M2TW the ransoms are very rarely accepted and so the prisoners are killed, but I can't remember if the general gets bad traits.

This might not be practical for EBII because I don't know if the $ value of the units is changeable (but I hope so) to change the likelihood of a ransom being accepted, but I think the current effect of the M2 ransom option is what you're looking for.
    Quid ais, homo levior quam pluma, pessime et neqissime, flagitium hominis, subdole ac minime preti?
    -Plautus, Menaechmi

Alexandros Syriakos in WOTB

Default New idea

Could you rename the options to "pursue the fleeing enemy" for execution, "loot the enemy baggage" for ransoming, and keep releasing prisoners as-is? It won't be perfect, but it would be good for role-playing battles in which you lose total victory for the sake of more spoils. Due to the money script (there will be a money script, right?), the AI will always accept ransoming.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
    So essentially what you want is to get rid of the enemy army without negative traits - doesn't this happen when the enemy rejects the ransom offer? In my experience with M2TW the ransoms are very rarely accepted and so the prisoners are killed, but I can't remember if the general gets bad traits.
    no, if they don't accept the ransom and you kill them all the general doesnt get any negative traits
    Last edited by Majd il-Romani; 11-16-2008 at 02:17.
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    -Abraham Lincoln
    -Abraham Lincoln

I always hated the whole piety/dread thing.

Yeah, me too. EB's gonna make it all kool, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    I also find it disappointing that captured family members are just treated like super-expensive soldiers for ransoming purposes. What if I don't need 7000 florins, but I want you to give me back the city you took last turn? Or how about you call a truce and I set you free?

-Glee
    Sheer musical genius: Gould on Mozart

Balloons: ("Welcome to EB" from T.A.)

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Yeah, me too. EB's gonna make it all kool, though.
    How so? I haven't heard anything about that.

Thumbs up Re: Prisoners...

How so? I haven't heard anything about that.
    Wow, where have you been these past years. THIS IS EB!!! Of course it's gonna be better...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast